Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• rosetx
    rosetx Member Posts: 70
    edited August 2012

Chickadee - Thanks.  Am now in the process of packing up her place...more physical than I've been since I had the TE's in.  Ouch!

Hope you get settled in ok and are very happy in your new home.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited August 2012

chick - glad you arrived safely, and sounds like you have an excellent neighbor!

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235
    edited August 2012

bevg49  - I had to pack a wound for quite a while after nipple-sparing MX.  It's weird and surreal and yucky, but it does work!  My wound was small in diameter, but deep, so I couldn't pack it myself because of the angle and tweezers were required.  My husband did it.  As binc said, you'll get used to it.

Hang in there!

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited August 2012

Moonflwr: I think I have your surgery date wrong... I show you as having surgery Sunday! Please let me know when your TE is being replaced.

Chick: Ditto on the great new neighbors you have! 

Rosetx: My advice re: packing up your mother's place... when in doubt, *don't* throw it out. There will be time down the road to get rid of things, but you can't get them back once those things are gone. And tho I know they are only 'things,' you won't know how important a small piece of memorabilia may be to you down the road. {{{hugs}}}

Ladies: My surgery is set, for sure, for Sept. 5. Whippetmom has suggested moderate plus (rather than high profile) implants since I am so limited in volume. Need to go over all this with my PS. Those who have had scar tissue buildup with your TEs: Was the scar tissue removed at the time of exchange? And did you have drains? I know DLL said she had no drains... Also, how long is recovery realistically? Thanks!

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited August 2012

Renn, you might want to be conservative & take 2 weeks off. You really probably only need a week, but the extra time off won't hurt you if you can afford to take it. At one of my implant replacement surgeries I had scar tissue removed & he did give me a drain. It's all a little fuzzy now.

• olgah34
    olgah34 Member Posts: 300
    edited August 2012

Hello, I am back!

I have chemo head and cannot concentrate on reading...I am sorry, but sometimes , when I am reading something longer, than 3 words sentence, I lose it...I had difficulties to read on the forum too... this is why I did not go here for a while..recently I did some silly stuff- I brought home my coworker" s glasses, and had no idea how did it get in my bag! I also put books in refrigerator and tried to unlock my car with register keys...scary part is - I did not remember should I turn left on green light or let the cars from oppposite go first...Thanks God I did let them go!

Next week I am going to see my PS and decide what to to-Flap or expander again. I still have 2 more HERCEPTIN to do, they remove the port in the office, the same day in September, after last IV. I am scared. 

So, this and fatique bothers me the most...I hope everyone is fine. Hugs to all fo you.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited August 2012

Renn, my surgery is tomorrow morning. Thanks.

• rosetx
    edited August 2012

Renn - I'm sure that's good advice about packing up.  The kids took a lot of the furniture, so I can "visit" it.

• TAPPY
    TAPPY Member Posts: 39
    edited August 2012

My TEs are really painfull on the sides - ouch.....I am wearie a large genie bra right now (1 fill) - but I end up taking it off my 2 pm just to painful.

They told me it would get better with more fills - that I am feeling the port.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited August 2012

Mine were always uncomfortable on the sides. I skipped wearing a bra most of the time because there just wasn't enough give and the shape wasn't right.

Olga's, totally understand about the chemo brain. I have done some dumb stuff too. I really hate when I can't think of a word. I have kind of prided myself on my vocabulary (not that you would know it here, lol) and it drives me crazy when I can't come up with an easy word. It is slowly getting better.

Moon, good luck tomorrow!

Renn, I did not have drains. I did have a lot of scar tissue revision when he did the TE removal. Then when I had implants, he did some but not a lot. I had only had the implants for barely four months.

I don't know what you do for a job, but if it is desk work, you can easily go back after a week. You probably won't be able to do any lifting for a few weeks, or not much anyway way, but you should feel ok. I thought my port removal area was more painful than the exchange. Mine was really sore.

• DLL66
    edited August 2012

Good luck Moonflwr!!

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2012

Thanks, just tucking myself into bed, set alarm for 6am to take blood pressure meds they want me to take, then gonna try to sleep til 9 to get to hospital at 10 for prep. Surgery at noon. Whew, just along for the ride.....

• fluffqueen01
    edited August 2012

Don't forget to wear your makeup. You know they treat you nicer when you look cute! Lol

• Rennasus
    edited August 2012

Good luck Moonflwr~! Let us know once you're home how it went. You know we want all the gory details! (We're funny that way!)

DLL: Thanks for the info. I'm not working right now so I can take the time I need, I just wasn't sure if I'd be up and around after a week, or two. I suspect I'm going to have a drain b/c I have a ton of scar tissue on my problem side. PS removed a lot of it back in December when I had the TE put back in, but more has developed in the months since. Heaven knows what is on my left side (that TE is a senior citizen!)

Olgah, good to hear from you! Stop by again after chemo is finished. Hope the mental fog starts to clear for you soon!

Tappy: There is no way (at least for me) that I could wear a traditional bra with these TEs. I wear sports bras or nothing at all. (The latter took some getting used to.)

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2012

Back home, flying on Vicodan. (Can't take codiene so I get bumped up in meds) got a d*mned drain! It's at 50 already, really putting fluid out so I guess I should be glad I have it. Sore throat, and was bummed when I woke up, to find they had deaccessed my port put.in an iv in my hand, and put a blood pressure cuff on my ARM in the OR. I have had my blood pressure taken only on my calf since the BMX, so I was really pissed. So far no swelling, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. sitting in my magic chair, feet up and aimless watching Tsai Ming on the Create channel. Much love to all.

• fluffqueen01
    edited August 2012

Moon....glad to hear all went well. When I came back from my mastectomy, I had a big bruise on the wrist of my cancer side. No one seemed to know what it was, until the anesthesiologist stopped by the next day and said my bp had tanked and they had to install a pick line and flow fluids in. I was already hooked up on the other side. I thought about being annoyed and then decided that in a crisis they have to make a judgement call.

All seems ok so far.

• rosetx
    edited August 2012

Wow!  I had an appt. with my PS today and he pronounced the incisions finally healed enough for my last fill --120 cc. each side.  I feel huge--as if I need to wear a loaded backpack to counterbalance these babies!  But everyone has said that the finished product (with the implants) seems smaller, so I guess it will be ok.  I can still button my shirts....it's just that I had become accustomed to not having so much up front following the BMX.  This final fill was much sooner than I thought it would be given the healing issues, but when it finally began to heal it seemed to do so quickly (lots of protein, lots of rest, loads of bacitracin w/zinc).  And he scheduled my exchange surgery for September 11.  Yikes!

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2012

Rose, yay, that is fantastic. Congrats.

• fluffqueen01
    edited August 2012

Holy cow, rose. That is just around the corner. And 120 each side. Yikes. Mine usually did just 60. The one time he did a double fill, I ended up with a huge rash that I think was due to too much at one time and my skin couldn't handle it. Plus they felt like they were ready to explode. He felt so bad that was the last time he did that.

• fluffqueen01
    edited August 2012

Didn't mean to send that yet. Also....glad to hear all the healing is going so well.

• fredntan
    fredntan Member Posts: 237
    edited August 2012

I dont know if i belong here. Maybe i do. I just cant stand this damn TE. Arrgghh i hate it. There must be a better way to make a boob. Will have had it a year in sept. Cant do diep until jan. Could do nov, but dont want to ruin holidays this year.

Mine hurts just under arm pit. Doesnt hurt that bad, but just enough. My skin healed nicely from rads,

Does everyone elses TE feel like this. I dont have LE

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2012

Fredentan, if you read back a bit, I think everyone complains about their TEs sometime, so welcome, sometimes venting is all you need once in a while. Much love. I think my PS filled my new te to match the other one right away,which means I probably have over

450 in each one. gonna be a while before i let him fill me. I like to wait til I heal a bit more, Like 2 or 3 weeks from now. Gonna be at least that long anyway cause I have a drain. Much love

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited August 2012

hi all.

question unrelated to TE's but love you ladies bunches and know someone can help me.  I was periodless since june 11....well she is back.  Yesterday was the one year aniversary of my last chemo so I am wondering is that has anything to do with it?  Any help would be greatly appreaciated. 

• DLL66
    edited August 2012

Chickadee, are you on tamoxifen? Similar thing happened to me. I stopped during chemo, had 1 more at the end of radiation & then nothing for a whole year. Had 1 at the end of June, but that is it so far.

Heal well, Moonflwr! Glad it went well other than the IV.

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    edited August 2012

Hi renn,I'm back from uk. My scar has been there since may. I'm guessing it was a deep wound, so It is seeming to get more drier and less angry looking.

I observe it every day, trying to use the pool less, so it. Can heal. I use biooil over it.

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited August 2012

DLL sounds about the same.  Not at all during chemo.  Have been on tamoxifen for about a year.

• Tatina123
    Tatina123 Member Posts: 312
    edited August 2012

Renn - yeah on the surgery date! I had no drains and had an extra step revision on the left side (removal of excess skin). I was fine in about a week. The fat grafting kept me down for a bit longer I think.

Olgah - great to hear from you!

Moon - hope you are well

Rose - awesome news.

Chick - not on tamoxifen, but my cycles have been insane the last year.....

• Rennasus
    edited August 2012

rosetx: Congrats on being pronounced healed! I added you to the surgery list above.

Moonflw: Glad to hear you are well. Sorry to hear about the arm. Did your PS remove scar tissue? That often necessitates a drain.

Chick: I agree, it is probably the Tamox. 

Tatina: Countdown is 3 weeks from tomorrow!

Fredntan: I understand not wanting to wreck the holidays and postponing surgery until January. I have had my left TE since 3 Feb 2011 and am having my exchange on 5 Sept 2012 and I hate these TEs. I don't have pain, but I am just really tired of being aware of them 24/7. I'm over it. After 19 months, I have had enough. So I understand! Hang in there. It's all any of us can really do. ;-)

DLL66: How are you feeling? 

redninrah: Are you swimming with an incision that is not completely healed? I would only go in to my waist. You can pick up stuff in pools, even private ones. I didn't swim for two weeks after I got my one and only fill! And that was just a skin pin prick. I was afraid (and besides, SpecialK told me not to to in the pool!)

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2012

Ren, I don't know what he did, he was.in another op when they sent me.home. ill ask when I see him on Fri. Hopefully get the drain out then. I think he filled my new TE to the mark it was when it got taken out, cause it feels tight and hurts and aches a lot. Thank gd for vicodan. LOL

• CMartin
    CMartin Member Posts: 237
    edited August 2012

Rosetx....fantastic!