Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited July 2013

OK I bet I know what it is. It's probably the edge of the expander rubbing against your muscle or skin. I had that but I have a really high tolerance to pain. It's possible another expansion might help it move into a different position. I'll be interested in what your PS has to say

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited July 2013

Dragonfly, you did take your temp, right? If there is no fever, then you just have to accomodate the bigger implants. But watch your temp if it for a up, don't wait, call. Much love.

• andrea623
    andrea623 Member Posts: 572
    edited July 2013

Dragonfly, the past month, my right TE felt like it was digging into my ribs on the outside edge. Perhaps your's is doing the same thing? I hope your PS can do something to bring you some relief!

About massaging, when did those of you who have had exchanges start doing them? I had my exchange on Wednesday, but my PS didn't give me a time line on beginning it. I didn't think it was done as vigorously as Lago's video! That really was something!

• lago
    edited July 2013

Andrea623 It was quite some time before I did that. Months actually. You need things to heel. You will not be doing it like that video. Technically it isn't massaging. It's displacing them. My PS has me push up and in from the lower outer side with two hands and hold for 10 seconds then release. Doing this several times. You can ask your PS how s/he would like you to displace them. Don't follow the video I posted. That women had augmentation anyway.

• andrea623
    edited July 2013

Thanks Lago. My PS is out of town till the 23rd, so I'll talk to him about it then. These sure look different than the TEs and are a lot more comfortable already!

• lago
    edited July 2013

Andrea you graduated! TE's look like stripper boobs. These are soft and look like the real things.

• andrea623
    edited July 2013

Well, I actually hope they look better than my old saggy real things, lol! I have to admit, it's really different seeing cleavage now!

• lago
    edited July 2013

Oh they will. I never had cleavage… even the new large boobie prizes don't form cleavage but my valley is a bit more defined Tongue Out

• psalms91
    psalms91 Member Posts: 93
    edited July 2013

Had my exchange June 14, I went back to work June 28.Today I woke up and I am experiencing some burning on the good side,not consistent, sore to touch.I looked at the site no redness or sign of infection.Could it be the implant settling or did I do too much yesterday by wetting my daughter with the water hose and washing her hair afterwards.I don't want to feel like this.I have been through too much, as we all have

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161
    edited July 2013

Michelles, I suspect you just did too much.  You are little more than four weeks out and really need to still be limiting your arm movements and not lifting much weight, or pushing and pulling.  You very likely have swelling from the activity and that can feel like burning and pain.  Rest up and see if that helps.

• psalms91
    edited July 2013

Thank You Mondayschild...That is what I will do.sometimes I feel so stupid,I know the recovery time is not instant but I forget,life happens, I feel better and I start moving.I don't want a set back.I need a pain pill

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited July 2013

Psalms, I understand! I agree with MondaysChild I think you are doing too much. My PS was very specific with me that I *not* move my upper body for 2 weeks post-exchange. It literally took me months to get my strength back. (I had my exchange in September and it took me 5 months to feel semi-normal again.) You've been dealing with all this so long, that it's totally understandable that you just want to be able to do things with your daughter and live your life. Just keep remembering you now have a NEW norma! When is your next checkup with PS?

Andrea623: My PS didn't tell me to start massage until 1 month *post* exchange. He did a lot of pocket work that he wanted to heal first. He was not insistent on the massage. I can do it if I want to. I try and remember to do it but I am not consistent. Righty does have some capsular contracture but he said it was due to all the surgeries on that side, that it will never be as relaxed as the other side (which had the TE for 18 months). Oh well.

• psalms91
    edited July 2013

Rennasus, I believe you are right.My next follow up is in one month.I saw the surgeon last week and all was well.I am on the list for tomorrow if I feel the need to see her or if symptoms have not improved.Thank God they have.I am back to low activity with reminders.Thanks everyone for the help

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited July 2013

Does the tightness you feel while you have the expander's go completely away after you have exchange.  I have heard stories of permanent iron bra? I have a choice between going ahead with my expander's, or having DIEP, which is a huge surgery. 

Any advice?

• mnsusan
    mnsusan Member Posts: 139
    edited July 2013

Goldie, a lot of women do just fine after exchange.  Its been two months since exchange for me and I hardly notice them anymore.  They are settling in and are very comfortable.  My PS told me it would take a full three months for them to become "mine."  The implants felt better than the TEs immediately, but there are some women where it takes a while.  If you go the implant route, just make sure you set your expectations correctly.  Good luck to you!

• lago
    edited July 2013

No iron bra here. Remember online you will  read more negative than positive. Most people who are posting are having problems and looking for answers. Those of us who aren't having problems don't post unless asked. The only reason I'm on this thread is because someone asked me to post the massaging video. I had my exchange over 2 years ago.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited July 2013

Anyone here want to give reasons you choose/ chose the implants you did? Saline vs silicone?

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited July 2013

Iago, the problem is I actually have Iron Bra right now, and I don't want to go through the whole exchange process to find out I still have it.  I am pretty much promised to be rid of it with DIEP flap, and given a maybe with implant exchange.  I have a hard decision to make.

• roadwarrior28
    roadwarrior28 Member Posts: 161
    edited July 2013

Goldie4040 - had iron bra with TEs, but I'm good with implants. Had my exchange a month ago.

Moonflwr - I never considered saline because my PS said they would look very unnatural on someone who has no breast tissue of their own. They're also much harder from what I hear. I did think about gummies which are less likely to rupture, but they are anotomically shaped and can rotate, requiring more surgery. I exercise and lift weights, and that can cause them to rotate. So I went with silicone - they feel and look pretty natural, so I'm happy with the choice. My PS assured me silicone has changed over the years, gotten more cohesive, etc. and he rarely sees ruptures.

• psalms91
    edited July 2013

Could someone please explain what iron bra is?

• lago
    edited July 2013

goldie4040 The implants feel much better. Also the exchange surgery was pretty easy, at least for me. I would say do the implants. If they still don't feel right after about 6 months then you can always go back and do DIEP.

psalms91 iron bra is just what it sounds like. If feels like you wearing a tight iron bra.

• melmcbee
    melmcbee Member Posts: 371
    edited July 2013

My implants feel like my own tissue. Hated the tes.

• lesley0417
    lesley0417 Member Posts: 13
    edited July 2013

Hi, Everyone! Been Fighting Low Grade Fever For A Few Days And Yesterday It Went Up To 101.7. I Have Been On Antibiotics This Whole Time. Today My Left Breast Has Large Red Areas That Are Hot To Touch And Is Firmer And Slightly Bigger Than Other. Does This Sound Like TE Might Be Infected?

• andrea623
    edited July 2013

Lesley, my PS told me if I experienced any of the symptoms you're describing, to call immediately. Have you spoken to your doctor? I hope it's cleared up fast!

• mshelton
    mshelton Member Posts: 23
    edited July 2013

yeah-- from your description,,,,act now...better safe than sorry.

• lesley0417
    lesley0417 Member Posts: 13
    edited July 2013

Andrea 623 And MShelton, Thanks For The Advice And Sense Of Urgency You Gave Me. Being Admitted Through Er Tonight. I Love This Site.

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited July 2013

lesley0417: Sorry to hear you are being admitted (everything always happens on a Friday, right?!) but very glad you called your doc and they are treating you. Keep us posted!

To those asking about iron bra, I am one of the unfortunate (and apparently few) women who still feel the implants 24/7. The sensation is not as awful as with the TE's, but I *never* forget I have them. I always feel like I'm wearing a bra when I am not. Perhaps I am just overly aware, I don't know. It is what it is. I opted for TEs b/c I didn't want to go through the long hours of surgery with DIEP; in hindsight, of course, I spent WAY more total surgical hours dealing with my many TE complications. I would trust your gut and your doctor. PS: I opted for silicone b/c my PS doesn't use saline for the reasons mentioned above; the silicone looks more natural with recon. Hope that helps!

• andrea623
    edited July 2013

Lesley, I'm so relieved to hear you're getting care for the infection. I hope IV antibiotics takes care of the problem. Please update when you can. Sending you a prayer and hug!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited July 2013

I have the same situation as ren, I am always aware of my implants - it is not painful and certainly more comfortable than TEs were, but it does not feel natural to me at all.

• lago
    edited July 2013

Oh I will admit my implants don't feel like the real thing but they are not bothersome. Granted they are much bigger (not exactly what I had planned) so I think that has something to do with it. Still getting used to being a big girl now

new me = ( -•- )( -•- )

Old me = (•)(•)