Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited July 2013

Goldie, I had TE's put in, had an infection on right side, had a surgery to remove that; Waited 6 months, had TE put back in; Had exchange surgery, had nipple surgery, and now having a revision on left side to even everything up.  I had lots of scar tissue on left side since expander was in for 15 months, and after she cut it all away I had extra space inside and my whole incision line rode up about 1/4 inch. 

So I saw PS on Monday.  I thought this last surgery would be a piece of cake.  NOT!  I will have alloderm again to hold the implant in the pocket in the correct place.  I will also have 2 drains!  This will be drains # 14 & 15.  I guess I'm a pro by now, but I was really looking forward to a surgery with no drains:(  Oh well.  So I'll be down for yet another 6 weeks.  I'm usually out walking after 3 though lol.  I'm training for the 3 day here in Tampa and don't want to lose all that I've done. 

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited July 2013

Oh!  Also had the endometrial biopsy on Monday.  It really was no big deal.  OB wasn't overly concerned that anything was wrong, but I feel better, like I'm being monitored and proactive.  She also said she would do a transvaginal ultrasound in September at my yearly OB visit.  Puts my mind in a better place anyway.  :)  Headed to Vegas on Sunday to blow off some steam. 

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited July 2013

Momof3, sorry you have been through so much. Why can't everything just go smoothly?  So, what I am learning from you is not to leave TE's in too long or you start to form scar tissue?  You are smart to be going to the gyno too.  Better to be save, then sorry.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited July 2013

Goldie, sometimes you don't have a lot of choice. My right TE has been in place since Dec. Of 2011, twenty months. I had two tries on my left, and will have my third in august. I just hope my right doesn't pop with fills!

• moonflwr912
    edited July 2013

Goldie, sometimes you don't have a lot of choice. My right TE has been in place since Dec. Of 2011, twenty months. I had two tries on my left, and will have my third in august. I just hope my right doesn't pop with fills!

• roadwarrior28
    roadwarrior28 Member Posts: 161
    edited August 2013

Momin3fla - how long did you wait before considering revision? I'm 1 month out post exchange. My right TE was in for 13 months and had a lot of scar tissue. The left implant settled in almost right away, but the right feels tight and is slightly higher then the left (funny, because with TEs, the right was always lower!). I feel like if it just drooped a tiny bit, it'd be all even.

I may be just really anal because my hubby doesn't even notice the difference. And I swear it looks different from day to day! I've also heard that sometimes the dominant side - I'm a rightie - takes longer to settle in.

• goldie4040
    edited August 2013

I wonder why some TE's pop, and other's can hang in there forever.  I think it is probably a mistake made during a fill, more than likely.

Roadwarrior, I have heard you really need to give it a few months for the implants to settle in.  Give it some time. 

• jnprsn
    jnprsn Member Posts: 59
    edited August 2013

I'm on day 6 after my last fill. I'm still in major pain relying on Metaxalone.
    Anyone else experience TE pain this long after a fill?
    I'm nervous that there's more going on. My rib feels like someone stabbed me.
    Have a PS appointment tomorrow for another fill which I couldn't do if you paid me handsomely.

• patriciahurtado
    patriciahurtado Member Posts: 85
    edited August 2013

Awwww all this crazy moving TE....I wish they can just stay in one place!!!!..... Well my ladies in still on rads .... It's my 14/28 woohoo I only have one TE on my left .... Rads on right with no TE .... So hopefully my skin will heal good for new TE on my right side!!!

• Michele2013
    Michele2013 Member Posts: 232
    edited August 2013

Patricia!!!!! Hydrate and slather!

I hope you are doing well:)

I am one week post TE'ers. Had my first fill Monday and I hurt like a mutha!!!!!!! My question, both drains at incision are seeping. My drains come out Monday. Should I worry about the seeping and call my ps office in the morning or is this a commom thing as long as it does not get out of hand?

• mshelton
    mshelton Member Posts: 23
    edited August 2013

Of course I'm not in the medical field but, it seems that they should not be seeping.   Mine didn't seep and the only folks that I've read about that mentioned seeping had problems.  Pressing the bulbs flat after draining should allow suction and all the drainage to go into the bulbs.  Makes me think you have loss suction or/and that the tube is stopped up.  Have you cleared the tubes?   I would call the ps's office just to check if I was you.

Wow,have you had your tubes since 4/1 ?

• foreverchanged
    foreverchanged Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2013

Michelle- I would definitely call your PS, thats not normal and something is likely wrong with the drains.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited August 2013

I do not believe that anyone should be getting fills while they still have drains.  Your incisions are not healed enough to sustain stretching from a fill, not to mention that your drain openings are a pathway for bacteria.  JMHO but I know there are ladies on this thread that agree.  Always remember that you are in charge, not your PS - they work for you.

• Michele2013
    edited August 2013

Ok, I will call the office first thing in the morning.

Oh no, I had my TE's placed last Thursday.

Thank you ladies!

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited August 2013

roadwarrior-I had implants in mid-Nov and my PS required I wait until at least the end of Feb for revision/fat grafting.  Of course my PS always errored on the side of conservatism.  Everything took longer for me.  He would have preferred I wait even longer but he was having surgery and I didn't want to have to wait until he got back.

• Michele2013
    edited August 2013

SpecialK-I did not even think about the fill and still having my drains in. Makes more sense that I should not have had it so soon after surgery.

Thank you

• mshelton
    mshelton Member Posts: 23
    edited August 2013

My ps added half of the fill at the time of surgery.  After removing two tubes, the two remaining ones increased in output.  My PS  went ahead with the next fill  (260 ccs).    His reasoning was to fill the space to allow for less fluid that needed to be drain.  i saw no difference.  Just a continue slow decrease daily until I was able to remove the last two drains.   

I'm relieved that you didn't have drains for since April.  lols  They are a pain in the.......

• roadwarrior28
    roadwarrior28 Member Posts: 161
    edited August 2013

I had fills while I still had drains because I wouldn't stop draining and it worked like a charm. It's not ideal but was necessary for me. It gets rid of the empty pockets so there's less room for fluid to accumulate

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2013

And less accumulation means less chance for infection.

• jnprsn
    jnprsn Member Posts: 59
    edited August 2013

Anyone??? Severe TE pain lasting over 7 days?

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2013

Call your PS! Severe pain needs to be looked at. seven days is too long, I know I am a baby, but seven days is too long for anyone.

• andrea623
    andrea623 Member Posts: 572
    edited August 2013

Agree! Seven days is too long to be in severe pain. Call your PS today!

• lesley0417
    lesley0417 Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2013

Major Meltdown! Had My Tissue Expanders Replaced About 11 Days ago Due To Infection In Both And Right One Had Slipped In The Midst Of Infection. Been Home On Iv Vancomycin And Have Completely Taken It Easy Since I Have Been Home. Having Serious Intestinal Issues Due To Being On Antibiotics Since June 26, With The Exception Of About10 Days..Awesome. I Have Been Looking So Forward To A Family Vacation To Maryland Planned Before Cancer Diagnosis...We (Myself, Dh, Children (Age 10 And 11), Were Supposed To Be Leaving After Home Health Nurse Removed Picc Line 7 Hours From Now And Staying For One Glorious Week. I Would Still Have My Drains(Which I Have Had Since June 26), Couldn't Go In The Water, But I Could Sit On The Beach And Watch My Children And Spend Long Overdue Quality Time. However, 2 Days Ago My Right TE Slipped Completely From Behind The Muscle And Is Laying Toward The Bottom Of My Breast And Has Made It Huge And Uncomfortable. I Was Still Determined To Go And Have Surgery When I Get Back. Screw Cancer! BUT...today My Right DrainAge Has Changed From Yellow To Red And My Incision Is Looking Like It Might BusT From The Pressure. The Incision Is Now Red, Shiny And Has White Patches. Breast Even Larger Than Yesterday. BUT WAIT...THERE'S MORE! As I Was Sobbing Over Telling My Children That We Can't Go Tomorrow Because I Have To See My Doc On Monday (Can't Risk Needing Surgery in Md), I Feel The Beginning Of My Left TE Slipping...Seriously??? This Will Be My 3Rd Surgery Since 6/26...And I Am Going To Have To Keep These Drains Even Longer!!!!! As I Write This, I Hear My Daughter Crying Herself To Sleep. My Children Are So Disappointed. I Am Heartbroken. Paid Ahead, No Refund, Can't Afford Another VacationUntil Next Year. Do You Think They Will Try Tissue Expanders Again??? What Other Options Are There? Anyone Else Have This Happen Twice? Thanks In Advance For Any Replies.

• soccermomof4
    soccermomof4 Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2013

Got me TE's in July 22 after my bmx - the right side looks like I've been in a boxing match, very bruised & the skin is pealing like a sunburn and is weeping. The doctor checked on it yesterday & said we need to watch the area, she thinks the skin underneath still looks like it will be ok, but if not she said they would have to remove the expander for now. I am feeling a little discouraged , I was trying to get all this done as I am to start back to school soon (preschool teacher).  

• goldie4040
    edited August 2013

soccermom,

I had the same thing.  I was very bruised, and also peeled. It took almost 6 weeks for my PS to feel comfortable enough to continue fills. I am glad he waited. I have no incision issues, or infection.  Just the old iron bra discomfort that will last till I get these things out.  It is better to take things slow, or you can have a major set back. Now that my incisions are healed enough I massage the implants twice a day with bio oil to keep the skin in good condition.

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2013

Leslie, hugs to you. Is probably send my DH and kids anyway. Stay home and take care of myself, but that's just me. However, you asked if it happened twice? Me. And I hope it helps that I am trying for that third times a charm.

I can believe how devistated you all are. I hope things work out. Much love.

• soccermomof4
    soccermomof4 Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2013

goldie - Thanks so much for sharing that, that gives me some hope!! The skin is starting to peel more, especially when I am in the shower. SO I hope all the skin underneath will be good. Thanks!! 

• andrea623
    andrea623 Member Posts: 572
    edited August 2013

Lesley, I'm so sorry to hear about your ongoing problems with the TEs and infection. I can't even image how awful this has been for you. I know you want your family to be able to enjoy a vacation. Is it possible for you to stay home and let them go? Or do you need help at home? I don't have any answers for you, but my thoughts are with you, and I pray you will heal completely soon, so you can continue onto reconstruction. Gentle hugs for you.

• AnnBR
    AnnBR Member Posts: 345
    edited August 2013

Hello ladies. I'm a bit of an unusual case as I am having a delayed DIEP in Oct. and have TEs placed just under the skin. My PS said I would be happier with the end result by doing this (my MXs were done five months apart by different Drs. - long story). I was supposed to have my final fill last week, but the procedure did not go as expected. The PA could not find the port on my right side and thought perhaps it was folded under the expander. I knew something had happened because the shape had changed. The PA tried to manipulate it back into place, but couldn't do it. She indicated I was very close to my final size so I guess I am done with this part of the process. I can't help being somewhat dissapointed that I may not end up being the size I was prior to my MXs (C). I am curious to see if anyone else has experienced something like this? Thank you!

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited August 2013

Lesley0417... Yikers! I'm so sorry. Please let us know what your doctor says. Sounds like trouble to me. And I agree with the ladies above, send your family off on vaca and call in a favor or two with friends/family to stay with you while you figure out what's going on TE-wise. {{{hugs}}}

AnnBR: I had a multitude of healing complications resulting in one TE only being filled to 350 at time of surgery and 1 50cc fill (and TE was in 17 months) while my other TE was filled to 200cc at time of 2nd surgery and I had only 1 fill of 50cc. I was so uneven and lopsided and my PS was able to fit 500cc high-profile implants in at time of surgery. I think I am actually bigger than I was pre-BC, which is pretty amazing given what I've been through. So long story just to say talk to your PS and tell her what kind of result you want and it is very likely she can make it up in the OR. The TE's are really just holders, the real magic happens during exchange. hang in there!

Michele2013: I agree, drains should not seep. Sounds liek they are not in all the way. I'm sure by now you've had someone look at them; let us know what happened!