Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2011 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Hi profbee,
    So good to hear from you and August ladies.  I am not surprised to hear about the Tamox causing impatience....the hormonal drug are nightmare-ish.
    How is your recovery going from your TE surgery?  I hope you are good.
    Disney!!! now, that's a distraction that would work for me.  sounds like fun.
    Any snow your way?  4" on Long Island
    Happy week end to all!
    Joan
  • profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited January 2012
    Options

Hi, Joan!

We have some snow, but not much really at all.  Last year by this time the lawn was under 2 feet of snow!  It's probably about 3 inches out there...maybe less.  Thanks for the support on the Tamox.  Ugh...I just know that I'm flying off the handle, and I just can't seem to stop myself.  It stinks.  After all I've put hubby through this past year, he needs me to be angry too?!  ugh.  

I'm recovering well, thanks.  I'm supposed to have the nipple recon in April, but I think I'll have to push it back so one of the snowbird grandparents is back up north and can babysit for us.  I don't know...they don't feel GREAT.  The nurse said she was disappointed that I wasn't thrilled.  Well, they'll never be my boobs again.  Sorry!  And I don't know.....I was measured for a bra and they said 36 DD, and it fts and all, but I don't think I look like I have big boobs now or anything.  I guess it's because they don't come out very far and because my breasts have always had a space between them.  I don't know.  I used to wear built-in bra top camisoles a lot to work under a suit, and now I can't wear those because they don't cover my bra.  

It should be fun trying to think of what to wear to work now that I can't wear my tanktops, and I'm not sure how I'll handle heels with the numbness still in my toes.  blergity.  

On a positive note!  Disney!  :)  I'm just going to keep my eyes on that prize for a couple of months.  

How are you doing?  

Love to all!

• Poinsettia
    Poinsettia Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Options

Hi Dogeyed -  yes - I definitely have the bulges under the arms.  In fact I found your post because I was searching for dog ears.  My PS plans to take care of it next month when I have the TE exchange surgery but I do worry a little about how well the bulges can be fixed.   It is very uncomfortable for the time being.  Kinda driving me crazy!  My surgery was in October.  

• dogeyed
    dogeyed Member Posts: 84
    edited January 2012
    Options

Thanks for joining in, Poinsettia.  Yah, my surgery was early August, mastectomy, but no reconstruct.  So, I've been trying to massage the dog ear away, I have no idea if this approach is working.  I just know, tho, if I lost some weight, surely it would come down some.  But that's not something I can do right now.  I just want to live regular for a while.

That's funny how others have that port removal thread sticking out, too!  It occurred to me the other day that if they are dissolvable, then what will happen is under the skin the thread will disappear, and then the end will fall off.  We'll see.  GG

• joan811
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Hi Prof, NH with only 3" of snow?  hard to believe.  We used to ski at Loon when the kids were small.  I have spent many vacations in NH, summer and winter.  Love it!
    Until I joined this board, I could have never imagined all the issues that come with reconstruction.  It sounds so straightforward...(pardon the pun) but no - so many variables make it tough.  And I have so many times thought about the emotional end of it - as you said, what's to be happy about when you have been through it all and have to deal with this change for the rest of your life? 
    I hope you find a great new wardrobe....I was thinking for awhile that it would be turtlenecks forever for me.....but no complaints here...lumpectomy was all I had so far, and scar (on top) and skin are recovering. 
    Prof, when I look at your bio, you have had non-top stuff to deal with for almost a year. (maybe more?)  I hope that soon you will feel free of this insult to your body for awhile. 
    Disney dreams.....I'm telling you, I love to listen to that princess music. 
    I am doing well except for unexpected fatigue.  Rads went OK....healing was fast.  But I still hit the wall every day and I was never like that....
    I see the wall approaching, so will say gn to all.
    Best thoughts to you, and be well.
    Joan
  • blondelawyer
    blondelawyer Member Posts: 104
    edited January 2012
    Options

I have those annoying bulges/dog ears under my arms too. I hate them!  My BS said that the PS will be glad that I have them, but I am certainly not at this point!

My latest MRI showed a spot on my left lung so I am having that biopsied on Wednesday. To be honest I am freaking out a bit about it all.  I will hopefully have the results by Friday so I can at least know.  Ugh, I hate freakin' cancer! 

• dogeyed
    edited January 2012
    Options

BLONDE, one thing that might encourage you on the lung thing, my brother's son had bone cancer, he's a 10+ yr survivor, and he also had spots that showed up on his lungs, they took them out, and eventually that stopped happening.  So, for what it's worth, he made it, and so will you.  GG

• bobeena
    bobeena Member Posts: 46
    edited January 2012
    Options

Hope all went well today for the biopsy blondelawyer! Keeping my fingers crossed for you to get results quickly and that all is well! Keep us posted!

• profbee
    edited January 2012
    Options

Blonde, I'm sending you good thoughts!  Damn, I hate all the waiting stuff.  

Joan, I guess when someone else with breast cancer tells you you should be tired, it's okay to be tired!  LOL!  It has been a helluva year.  :)  Thanks for the support.  It's been an outrageously mild winter, but we are in Durham near the seacoast so we don't get the kind of snow they get up in the mountains.  Still, this is unusual.  Great idea to get some Disney music to play in the car.  It will get Jack even more excited about the trip.  I may need to download some tonight!  :)  And I hear rads is totally exhausting.  So, be good to you!

So, I went to the doc for the routine echo the other day.  My ejection fraction is down to 50, so I have to repeat the echo in 2 months (instead of 3), and they may take me off the Herceptin I'm on.  I'm trying not to be scared about it, and focus on the fact that I did have a complete pathological response and then went on to have a BMX and more chemo, so I have been aggressive, but the threat of not getting the "miracle drug Herceptin" when I'm HER2+ has me a bit freaked out.  I've been so lucky, but you know how that stupid, irrational fear creeps in.   

Great to hear from you all!! 

• joan811
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Prof, I know the worry....I stopped Arimidex and now have to find out why my arteries near my heart are spazzing.  It seems to be related - will find out tomorrow when I go to the hospital for the BIG test....I do want to continue the drug but not sure how I'll handle the heart symptoms.
    I hope you can find a resolution to your negative response to treatment.
     This is for you and also for Blonde....
    candle
  • dogeyed
    edited January 2012
    Options

Love that candle, Joan.  Sooooo pretty.  Yes, it took me six weeks post rads to start to regain some mental and physical strength.  Some take longer, some less.  Prof, I live in the mountains of NC, I'm familiar with your neck of the woods!  We have had ZERO snow up here, but we're not in the high country, rather in the valley between the Great Smokies and the Blue Ridge.  We've had a number of "dustings," but that's it.  No inches.  Been a very mild winter, to be sure, which since my kin are all from the farm areas inland from Nags Head, it's been a familiar and welcome relief for me.  Love to all, GG

• joan811
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I had my heart angiogram and I passed :-)
    I even got to have my iPod in the test room - I don't think they saw it.  Went out with music and woke up with my music.  But better than that, I was told that they found nothing wrong and I could go home that day.  Was sooooooooo tired.....am now having insomnia after sleeping for 2.5 days.
    I do not know when I can go back on Arimidex....no diagnosis for those spasms yet.  I may have to deal with them.....I do not know what is more scary...not taking it or getting vaso-spasms.
    BC -- the disease that keeps on giving.....
    Joan
  • blondelawyer
    blondelawyer Member Posts: 104
    edited January 2012
    Options

Thanks everyone.  Unfortunately the lung spots are cancer, so I am officially stage IV.  I have more scans on Monday to see if the cancer is showing up anywhere else.  Then I'll start chemo on Thursday.  With the current information, my onocologist thinks that it is worth giving the chemo a shot.

• FLwarrior
    FLwarrior Member Posts: 614
    edited January 2012
    Options

Oh, blondelawyer, sorry to hear that.  My thoughts and prayers go out to you.  Certainly it is worth giving the chemo a shot!    Have you read Marybe's thread?  She is having chemo for lung mets and she has posted in the last week that it is working!  They had to try several to find the one that would work for her.  I hope the first one you try works for you!  She is a real inspiration, you might want to read her thread or contact her for support. ( Her thread is something like...between the red devil and the deep blue sea...) Wishing you the best! I'll be thinking of you on Thursday!

• profbee
    edited January 2012
    Options

CRAP!  Blonde!  I'm so sorry, my love.  We're here with you.  Good luck tomorrow.  I'll be your pocket pal, there with you.  I'll check in here from my office.  Damn.  DAMN.  Tons of love to you.  

• FLwarrior
    FLwarrior Member Posts: 614
    edited January 2012
    Options

Joan, I missed your post some how, I am sorry...(should I blame it on lingering Chemo-brain/fog?)  Good news for you!  YEAH!  Glad to read your angiogram was good!!!

Blondelawyer, I will hop in your pocket with Profbee for your scans tomorrow!  I will be thinking of you and sending you good vibes!

• bobeena
    bobeena Member Posts: 46
    edited January 2012
    Options

Oh blondelawyer, I am so very sorry!!! Sending all my positive energy to you tomorrow for your scans ... No more bad news.

• dogeyed
    edited January 2012
    Options

BLONDE, so sorry they confirmed the shadow was cancer in your lung.  Very tough to hear, particularly after you've already been thru SO much.  Well, I just know they will make it go away, and they'll keep on checking until you are finally rid of all the dust and grit floating around in you.  We'll hold your hand, dear one, until you're done.  GG

• profbee
    edited January 2012
    Options

I'm with you, Blonde.  I'm hoping you're still cozy in bed...for a bit more.  Good luck today!  

• profbee
    edited January 2012
    Options

I hope your day is going by swiftly, Blonde!

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited January 2012
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I've been keeping up with all of you, but lurking.  I am back at work after nine months.  We are moving into our own house today!  Yay!  No more renting and being thrown out when I am recovering from breast cancer!  My little boy asked, when I showed him the house, "Who are we living with?"  I said, "No one, we own this house..."  He didn't understand!

Blonde, you are in my prayers.  I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

I got a new dermatologist, and am so glad I did.  My old derm, whom I saw last in September, told me I didn't have to see him again for a year.  I had melanoma when I was 17, so I said f that!  The new one removed two moles and called me today (don't you hate when you get a call from your doctor on a Monday morning.  It can't be good.) to tell me that both moles were dysplastic, but all gone.  "it's a good thing we removed them," new derm said.  And the other asshole (whooops) wanted to wait a year.  F'er.  So while she was looking at my moles, New Derm asks, "So, when is the last time you've had your nodes checked."  I replied, "I didn't know I had to..."  She checked them, then asked who my onocolgist was... long story short, SHE called my oncologist because I have symptoms of lymphoma.  Now, I had DCIS, so the chances are slim, but there it is on the table.  I see Oncologist on Thursday, when I should be stripping wall paper...

Love you girls!

• profbee
    edited January 2012
    Options

Congrats on the house, Eema!  What were the symptoms of lymphoma?!  I'm so sorry that you're in the wait, but I'm so glad you're getting checked out!  My doc doesn't do scans unless you have symptoms, and it does freak me out a bit.  ugh.  But I'm not going to waste my healthy time being worried about getting sick.  :)  That's going to be my new mantra.  :)  

love to all! 

• dogeyed
    edited January 2012
    Options

Wow, on the mole thing, now that scares me.  I had a mole that was a melanoma on the breast that was removed, and they had me all set to see a dermatologist, and that doc office made me wait more than an hour in this awful chair in a tiny white room with flickering flourescents, and I had to leave.  I have a bad back and makes it very hard for me to stay still for long times.  So, I decided I would see my regular dermatologist, whom I have not seen for years.  I see all my docs for my six-month visits in March, so I'll be seeing him, too.  EEMA, sure does make me wonder how your new dermatologist knew about the lymphoma, maybe she took bloodwork or something.

PROF, my cancer doc is same way about scans, and yet I read about diff ladies getting various scans... maybe a symptom brought them to being scanned.  But I set one up for fall, just to be safe.

• joan811
    edited February 2012
    Options

(((((Blonde)))))
    You have been here for us since the beginning of our journeys...and we will be with you through this.  So sad for this time in your journey.  Best thoughts, hugs and prayers go your way for your appointment and treatment this week. 
    Eema, I am glad you are getting settled in your new house...
    I am hoping your new doctor is wrong...we are with you.
    Am lighting my candle for you both....
    Joan

• Eema
    edited February 2012
    Options

Thanks for the support, girls!  I went to the allergist and oncologist today and am going to have 5 different scans next week with results on Thursday.  She doesn't want to f around.  Oh, had bloodwork done, too.  I hope it shows I am just dehydrated, like they've been telling me for a year and a half:)

Here is something I wrote to clear my mind:)  I would love it if you would give me some feedback!

https://cancerchmancerpoopoopoo.wordpress.com/2012/02/02/id-like-to-call-this-cancer-shmancer-poo-poo-poo-for-the-cure-but-i-dont-want-to-get-sued/

• dogeyed
    edited February 2012
    Options

EEMA, you tell 'em, girl.  That was one wild story, the wife pulling funds is one thing, and then to go ballistic and striking funds is beyond awful.  I'm glad there has been a rallying cry, so hopefully one day Koko will realize she didn't just stomp on the toes of her husband, but she threw up on all of us.  Good for you to 'splain whatsup with that! 

Oh, and glad your new derm is on top of your situation, you have a new guardian angel, to be sure.  GG

• joan811
    edited February 2012
    Options

Eema, how are you doing?

• NancyJill
    NancyJill Member Posts: 127
    edited February 2012
    Options

We are 6 months post-surgery! Rads is okay, Tamoxifen is okay, chemo is over for me, exept I still get Herceptin every 3 weeks. Going for a 6-month out MRI. Joy.

• Eema
    edited February 2012
    Options

We are 6 months out!  Wow! 

I'm waiting for bone scan results @ 1:30.  Let's see if this @ss of a disease is going to f with me again.  

• joan811
    edited February 2012
    Options

Nancyjill and Eema, Thanks for the updates! 
    I am also 6 months out but did not have chemo....I did rads kind of late because of decision making and 2nd opinions.  But I had my follow up with RO and (useless) MO this week.  I feel like I'm kind of graduating and moving on to the long term plan...but at times still "raw" inside where no one can see.
    Stay well and be happy!

Joan