Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2011 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• sidekick
    sidekick Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2012
    Options

I had a lumpectormy on underside of my left breast and snb on August 2, 2011.  all went very well except Onco score is 34.  so I have just finished chemo and will begin rads on mid-late March.  All of you ladies are incredible.  I have done so much better mentally and physically than I thought i would have.  this is due to My Lord, loving husband,wonderful family and friends.  Good luck to all of you!!!!

Carlynn

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Carlynn,
    wow....you just never know.  Your stats look good, but I see you are PR- (I was initially told that, but after surgery it turned out to be _)    Will you still get A.I. drugs?
    Sounds like you have a great attitude and are getting through.
    I was very unhappy about doing rads, but I finished Jan. 10th and except for my anxiety and lying still, it was easy.  Am back on A.I drugs and feeling the side effects again.  It's a long haul no matter the individual path. 
    Sending good thoughts, prayers and hugs to you for the next phase of treatment.
    Joan
  • dogeyed
    dogeyed Member Posts: 84
    edited February 2012
    Options

BLONDE, so how is your chemo going, if you've started it again for that lung cancer situation?  It should shrink it rapidly in the beginning, just as my 5cm+ tumor shrunk and quit hurting only two chemos in.  I wanted to pass along, that if for some reason the chemo doesn't take care of this, my brother's son had his lung spreads (from bone cancer) surgically removed. They did not come back.

EEMA, you were set to have a bunch of scans, and most recently I think a bone density scan, so I am wondering if results were A-okay and where the ideas your derm had about lymphoma went?  Are you cleared of that or anything else chasing you now?  I want to thank you again, by the way, for coming here and telling us about your melanoma thing, since I had the same problem.  I see my derm in March.  GG

• joan811
    edited February 2012
    Options

GG, do you know how frequently melanoma and BC are connected?  That is one appointment I have put off.....
    CALLING ON ALL August 2011 Ladies to check in -- it has been six months and we all know that no matter the surgery path, recovery is a long process.
    Thinking of each of you on the precious list that Blonde prepared with each of our names and surgery dates....I have learned all I know from you ladies...
    Love and hugs to all....praying for health and a good recovery for each of you.

Joan

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited February 2012
    Options

I was told my melanoma and DCIS were the same illness? Genetically anyway. Two out of two scans said suspicious for metastasis in my L2, but the interventional radiologist wants me to wait three months to see if lesion grows. So far it has been stable since 2009. Let's hope it stays that way. Waiting on a lymph biopsy, too.

My blog: all details:)

Cancerchmancerpoopoopoo.wordpress.com

Be well, ladies!

• dogeyed
    edited February 2012
    Options

Thanks, Dr. EEMA, for your blog... some funny stuff in there!  So, you're in a holding pattern.  SIGH.  Well, to some extent I guess we all are.  I shoved my cancer concerns in the bottom of the sock drawer.

My dearest JOANIE, genetically speaking, as Eema pointed out, getting BC and melanoma are connected to some degree, but it's still considered rare.  With me, you see, I had a mole on the boob that got Inflammatory Breast Cancer, which IBC affects the skin so much, that as that boob got harder and larger, my mole started to look pretty awful, so I instructed (twice) my breast surgeon to take it off.  Good thing they did.  I have to see my dermatologist in March, I want at least one other one off.

Thinking of you BLONDE!  GG

• Eema
    edited February 2012
    Options

Yep. Blonde, lots of love coming your way!

• bobeena
    bobeena Member Posts: 46
    edited March 2012
    Options

Ok, here is my 6 month check in. I just saw my PS today, and we are done with filling expanders, and am now waiting for exchange to implants ... In about 6 to 8 weeks. Will be glad to be finished with the reconstruction phase. I get the results of my genetics test next Wednesday. Am nervous but it will be good to know either way. Other than that, my time has been filled with work, kids, and family struggles. A month ago my dad passed, and I have inherited a 2year old poodle, cocker, shitzu mix who has issues with submissive and excited piddling. My 8yr old Shepard mix is not impressed! :P On to dog training classes!

I check in often, even if I don't post. Would love to hear more from everyone else too. Sending light, love, and strength to all.

• joan811
    edited March 2012
    Options

Bobeena,
    I am truly sorry to hear about your dad.  Each year brings its joys and sorrows; but you have had more than your share, it seems.  Glad to hear you are doing well otherwise.
    I started Femara and do not feel like me at all any more.  It is so hard at work because I just cannot focus on more than one thing at a time, and I lose my patience instantly. 
    I hope everyone from the August group is doing well.
    Hugs,

Joan

• Eema
    edited March 2012
    Options

Here is another interesting update, ladies, and I do hope you are all well.  I  just came from the (not cancer) surgeon and have a huge hernia from the hyst/ooph.  Isn't enough enough?

Counting my blessings, to be sure, but really?  Yes, yes, at least it isn't cancer.  But really?

• joan811
    edited March 2012
    Options

(((Eema)))
    yes, enough!!!  Will you need to have it repaired, or can you just give it a rest?
    Yup, let's count the blessings....
    Best wishes,

Joan

• Eema
    edited March 2012
    Options

Joan, surgery is scheduled for the first Friday in May. Till then, I have to deal with it. No Pilates!

• NancyJill
    NancyJill Member Posts: 127
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi, ladies, I had my 6-month-out MRI and it was good! I only have targeted boosts left for Rads--2 weeks and I'll be done. I'm on Tamoxifen now and have no problems with it. I am getting hair back and have started to go to the doctor and treatments without a wig. It is so short--about 3/4 inch. Grateful for my lumpectomy but eager to be done with Rads. Will continue with Herceptin until October, every 3 weeks. What a lot of treatment for stage 1. However, I was "lucky", and couldn't tolerate the Taxotere/Cytoxan past one cycle (due to allergic reaction), so got Navelbine for the last 9 weeks of chemo. It wasn't so bad. 

Eema, sorry about this complication you have to deal with! 

I've lost 5 of the 10 pounds I gained and am looking forward to spring exercise. 

• NancyJill
    NancyJill Member Posts: 127
    edited March 2012
    Options

Goodness, just read some posts here by Blondelawyer--you are very strong and will lick this! Our hearts are with you.

• joan811
    edited March 2012
    Options

Eema, My gosh, more surgery.....hang in there....so sorry for you. 
    NancyJill, So good to hear from you!  You are almost done -- always with a positive attitude....so glad you are getting hair growth....I hope you have done well with the rads.  I had no major problems with the boosts, and I healed within a week or two. 
    Also thinking of BlondeLawyer who brought us all together and hoping she will have a good report soon.
    Hugs to all,

Joan

• FLwarrior
    FLwarrior Member Posts: 614
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi Ladies, I hope you are all doing well and having a good recovery.

Blondelawyer, thinking of you.  How are you doing?    I hope you are tolerataing the chemo well and that you are getting a good response with it.

• joan811
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi FLw,
    How are you doing?  I hope you are doing well. 
    Things are calming down for this group of ladies....will not forget how we all started on this journey together.
    Stay well and keep in touch.

Best wihes,

Joan

• FLwarrior
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi Joan,  I am doing ok.  I healed very well from surgery.  I still have a dry eye problem from chemo. And...still struggle with depression.  I would really like to find my "HAPPY", but so far I can not seem to locate it. I don't feel like me anymore and I miss the pre-bc ME.  I don't have much motivation and require more sleep than before dx.  We are now 7 months out from surgery.  Wow, hard to believe.  I am 9 months past my last chemo.  I past the 1 year since dx in Jan. I just past the dreaded, "Oh, darn I lost my hair" 1 year ago mark.  Thank heavens my hair is growing back, but just not FAST enough!

I rejoined the work force on Jan 3rd. My new company let us know last week that they are canceling the contract with the center we are housed in...each day the news just gets worse.  Today they told us that our last day would be Monday!  WHAT?  Me and my whole team are going to be UNEMPLOYED!  I am so bummed and so scared!  The job market is not good here.

How are you Joan?  Are you adjusting to the Femara?

Anyone else still around?  If so, how are you doing? How did you guys find your "happy" after all of this craziness? 

• joan811
    edited March 2012
    Options

HI FL W,Strangely, this is my first time back since my last post...happy to see your note.
    I understand exactly what you mean about finding yourself again - that 'well being' about being you again.....I do not have it.  The Femara was causing fewer physical symptoms and more emotional downs.  I always felt pretty down whether at work or home....sleep and cutting out carbs helps, but I don't always get enough sleep or avoid the carbs. 
    I feel a bit insecure and like my inner flaws are visible for all to see.
    I am shocked to hear about your job situation.  Really....after all you've been through, and waiting to go to work....now to be unemployed.  I hope you can be sustained for awhile on unemployment.  I hope and pray for you that a job will be available.  Life keeps happening, doesn't it?
    You have had so many anniversaries....so glad that those times are behind you now.  
    And glad you have checked in....it's been quite a year.
    Hugs, prayers and blessings for you!
    Joan

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi All! I haven't checked in here in a while, but want to extend my deep and heartfelt healing wishes to all who are still going through therapies and other issues. August seems so long ago. What a journey this still is.

• dogeyed
    edited April 2012
    Options

I, too, haven't been back here in a while.  BLONDE, I hope you have had those places removed from your lungs, altho I think you said chemo was your next step.  QUESTION:  Since this was my surgery forum when I went thru that particular part of my treatment, I have to assume the problem I'm having right now has to do with it.  It's hard to remember whether it was here that I read about complaints of shoulder soreness.  Might have been with the rads girls, but wanted to check here first.  Well, anyway, it had gone away almost entirely, and I had heard of others who had it, where the top of shoulder, the shoulder blade, the boob, and upper arm just hurts like mad.  Well, my discomfort came back a couple days ago. 

I keep trying to remember what stupid thing I must have done to make my shoulder area hurt so much again.  I guess it was all the laundry I did the other day, or carrying a heavy package to the car for my nephew.  But it is just so sore.  I've even been trying the "lymph painting" exercise that I believe was given in here much earlier in the pages.  My pain is really settling into that big shoulder muscle that sits on top, up behind the collar bone, and joins onto the neck and ends at the arm-to-shoulder joint.  I can reach around with my other hand and grab the muscle and massage it, which I've been doing pretty constantly for several days now.  I laid on the floor, which I do to pop out my busted-up back, and rolled over on that shoulder blade.  I put heat on there, and put cold on there, both temporary relief.  I've put my arm over my head, kept it above my heart.  You name it, I've done it.

Has anyone else had a return of the shoulder pain that many of us experienced following surgery?  I mean, it yanks the whole works all around there, and I remember I went through radiation after that, and seems like some of those girls talked about shoulder pain, too, so maybe it's an old rads scar tissue that is trying to loosen up.  I KNOW I don't have cancer again becuz I sure as hell wouldn't feel it up in my shoulder muscle, for crying out loud!  And no lymphedema because arms are almost the same size, no cording.  Maybe it IS the rads people that talk about the shoulder hurting... well, most of you would have had rads, too.

Anyhow, sorry I jabbered so long.  I just thought for sure my sore shoulder wouldn't have just returned for some reason.  Anybody else dealt with this from time to time?  Thanks for any tips to make it stop.  GG 

• dogeyed
    edited April 2012
    Options

P.S.  It is now five days later (or so) and the pain is nearly gone.  I painted my arms down to my chest, and then followed the lymphedema instructs for how to get the fluid out of the shoulder, etc., and in general massaged the heck out of it, and whether that's what made it better or not, I don't know, but it is almost completely well now.  So, false alarm, just some in-between after and beyond aches and pains, if anyone else comes along and notices theyg ot the same thing, I think it's temporary.  GG

• FLwarrior
    edited April 2012
    Options

dogeyed, glad your pain seems to be resolving.  I had bad pain at the same time you did, but mine was side, ribs, arm pit and underside of upper arm. Even though my arm was not swollen,  I also did the arm brushing...move lymph fluid toward the body. I also did a lot of stretching my arm and raising my arm above my head and pumping my fist.   If I raised my arm and held it in a certain position, I could vaguely see a couple of "harp string" cording.  It really hurt to wear a bra and form (only wore it to work). I had the pain for about a week.  I think mine was in response to being too active.  I am very thankful that It is much better now.

Update on work situation...My company decided to stay through the end of the month, so I am still working.  There is a new company that is coming in and taking over on May1st and it looks like I will have a job with them.  Keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out.

Hello all!  Hope everyone is doing well!

• joan811
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hi FL, good to hear from you.....and glad to hear you have a good chance of getting a new job.  Best wishes for an easy transition and no major loss of time or pay.
    Gail,  I had developed shoulder pain from taking Arimidex; then I started rads and it got so bad I couldn't lift it very far....not without pain. 
    It's gone now, but I have a lot of tightening in the area of my SNB scar.  I try to keep everything moving and I massage when I think of it.  [I do have back pain now....hope it goes away soon.]

So glad to hear that you are feeling better.  Your body is fighting back, finally! 
    Anyone else out there from August 2011? 

• dixiebell
    dixiebell Member Posts: 170
    edited May 2012
    Options

Hi all: Just checking in. How is everyone! I pray each of you is doing great. I still have cording on and off. Its painful but I can live with that. Just glad to be alive another day! check in if you can!

• joan811
    edited June 2012
    Options

Dixiebell,
    Hey so great to hear from you!  I hope and pray you are doing well. 
    So far pretty good here....but I am developing more stiffness and hardness and tenderness in my 2 surgical areas.  I definitely feel it every time I try to reach for something. 
    I hope we can hear from everyone who was on this thread last summer...

Hoping to hear from Blondelawyer - praying for good news for you.
    It's been or is coming up on a year for most of us....a year we hope to put behind us and never revisit. 
    Best thoughts to all,

Joan

• joan811
    edited June 2012
    Options

August 2011 ladies,

Checking in....most of us are coming up on a year since diagnosis and the August surgeries.  It brings a lot of perspective, memories, and medical appointments.
    I will never forget meeting each of you on line; and the support, wisdom and honesty that you bring.
    I am grateful to be OK right now....
    Please check in with an update if you can.

Joan811

• Natters
    Natters Member Posts: 19
    edited June 2012
    Options

Exactly one year from my first diagnosis, and I am breathing a sigh of relief. I have been a nervous WRECK waiting for this one-year anniversary and mamogram this morning. I had to go into the mammogram room 3 separate times for various additional views but finally got the all-clear from the radiologist. No MRI ordered, no 6-month follow-up, nothing at all until next year (unless one of my doctors sees something before then). It is a HUGE relief and I hope that each and every one of you get to feel the same way. 

I see my RO, MO and PCP this summer for follow-ups and hopefully these will all be brief, uneventful visits. 

My rads breast is still a bit swollen, tender and tan (edema, peau d'orange), but it's not stopping me from anything - I just bought some bigger bras. I'm tolerating the Tamoxifen very well. It has been 3 months now where I've gotten my period on time, so things definitely seem to be getting back to normal.

My dragonboat racing season kicks off this weekend in Baltimore, then the following weekend I am flying to Hong Kong for races in that exciting, busy harbor. Hope to race my outrigger canoe in VA early August and see my family down there as well. I've gained a bit of weight but I am feeling strong enough to carry it and confident that I can lose it again when I get serious about my diet. I'm lucky enough to be dating the same lovely girl I met in January. So basically, life is good now that I got that mammogram out of the way!

• Natters
    Natters Member Posts: 19
    edited June 2012
    Options

I spoke too soon - just got my period again, just 2 weeks after the last one :/

Oh well, that's not the worst side effect, I guess....

• Eema
    edited June 2012
    Options

Hi August Sisters!

Well, it has been a crazy year, huh? I've had more surgeries than I can remember, and after spending six months trying to decide if I had bone mets, the doctors now think I have something called cutaneous lymphoma. At least I don't have breasts anymore to become Cancerfic!