Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2011 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi Dixiebell,
    This thread is quiet, but I am glad you checked in.  So happy to hear your tumor has reduced significantly.  And you are still working and traveling (as I am, at 66). 
    I take Femara - switched over after Arimidex caused some symptoms I didn't want.
    Every one of these drugs seems to hit with a punch at first.  For me, once the initial joint pain, aches and tiredness and moodiness did it's thing on me, I felt that it kind of moderated.  I can tolerate it now and continue to take it.  I hope for you it is bearable.  Some ladies cannot tolerate it.
    Wouldn't it be great if someone else checked in?  We still have our long list of brave ladies at the top of this thread.  What a special group, and I learned everything from this thread...my first contact with BCO.
    Stay well, and keep in touch when you can.
    Joan

• dixiebell
    dixiebell Member Posts: 170
    edited May 2015
    Options

Happy Memorial Day. Just checking in. Still same status. I did drop 10 lbs this month and so a little nervous to be staged again next week. Will let you all know results. Hope everyone is doing the best they can be!

• joan811
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi Dixiebell,
    I just happened to see your name - so good to hear from you.
    Please do let us know how your appointment and staging goes.
    I hope you are doing well.
    Anyone else out there?  We are going on four years....
    All is well with me...still working and mostly healthy at 66. 
    Hugs to all the August 2011 Surgery Group!

• dixiebell
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi so great to see you doing well!

• dixiebell
    edited June 2015
    Options

Well great news No Evidence of Disease the doctor was surprised. He went from 30 months to live in Jan 2014 to many many years. Praise Jesus.

• joan811
    edited July 2015
    Options

Dixiebell, I just found your post. I was checking in because it is just four years since my dx.
    I am SO happy to hear that you have NED and a good prognosis. What a blessing....life is a gift each day. I hope you are enjoying your family and that growing "baby"....
    Have a wonderful summer, and keep in touch.

Any other August 2011 ladies around to celebrate another year?
    I was telling everyone it has been 3 years for me but of course it is 4!

Please check in....

In memory of Lisa,

Joan

• dixiebell
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi Joan, so glad you checked in. So glad your doing well. I hope the rest of the group is also well.

• joan811
    edited August 2015
    Options

It's August 2015...any August 2011 ladies marking 4 years?

Hugs & prayers for all the ladies on this list.

Remembering Blondelawyer.

• joan811
    edited August 2015
    Options

I have been looking up a few of our August 2011 sisters.

Lilylady recently posted in May, 2015 with her updated battle.

It was her last post, and sadly she passed on July 15.
    I remember her well.image

===

From March 2011 Chemo Lounge thread:
    I wanted to let you ladies know that our dear friend Lilylady passed.

http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/hamilton/obituary.a...

• susanwmcg
    susanwmcg Member Posts: 36
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi Ladies,

Can't believe 4 year mark is here! My chief complaints are Tamoxifen SEs and wrinkly implants. But both make me feel guilty when I remember those who didn't make it to 4 years.

Take care,

Susan

• dixiebell
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi ladies: glad to hear from you. Wow it is 4 years. I still have pain and numbness to this day. But I have clear scans from stage 4 so I am more than grateful. So sorry to hear about lilylady. I wish everyone would check in.

• joan811
    edited October 2015
    Options

Dixiebell, I am so happy to hear that your scans are clear. I hope all continues to be well. I have a lot of tenderness, and it seems to be getting worse over time, not better. But it is all bearable so I try to keep busy with work and forget.
    I agree with you -- I wish more would check in.

Happy

Susan, it is good to hear from you. This group was my first contact with BCO and I remember so well how it felt. I hope you can manage to deal with the Tamox and the wrinkles! There are days when I just can't stand the SEs (Femara) but I put it in perspective.
    Congratulations everyone on the four year mark.
    Hugs & prayers,

Joan811

• Scilla
    Scilla Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2015
    Options

Well, here's another one checking in. I wish that I could say that I was doing well and that there was nothing to report, but unfortunately this September I noticed a change in the skin around my mastectomy scar which subsequently turned out to be a new tumour - I completely freaked out! I underwent surgery on October 29th and am now awaiting my appointment with the oncologist. I was initially diagnosed IIA, but they noticed a spot on my lungs on the CT scans and so now I don't know what to expect. I've been told the minimum is radiotherapy and my surgeon suggested I be given Arimidex as an adjuvant hormonal therapy after any other treatment. I've also got cording and some swelling in my upper arm :(

As you can imagine, I'm feeling a bit low.

Any advice from you ladies at this stage would be very helpful.

Dx: IDC IIA ER+, PR+, HER2-.

• joan811
    edited February 2016
    Options

Scilla,
    So sorry to hear that you have a new diagnosis. Is it the same area, or a new primary? By now you must know if the lung is involved. I hope not...
    This is not an active thread at all....more of a tribute to one another and especially to Blondelawyer who started this.

I hope you have found the support you need on the other threads here. If you get this, you can send me a PM or just follow up here.
    Sending hugs and prayers and hoping for the very best in your treatment and full recovery.
    Sorry I did not see this sooner or have advice for you.
    Hugs and prayers,
    Joan811

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi, friends! It's been SO long! I just popped on to say hello. I'm at 5 years from dx. Still NED. Feeling good. Still on Tamoxifen, and dealing with the leg cramps, etc. Love, love, love to all!

• rockym
    rockym Member Posts: 357
    edited March 2016
    Options

Congratuations!! I was just talking to someone about coming up to 5 years. What a crazy ride that was. Glad you're feeling well profbee!

• NancyJill
    NancyJill Member Posts: 127
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hello to all in August 2011 Surgery Group! I am sorry some of us are gone or are experiencing recurrences. I remain NED. I have no side effects to Tamoxifen. One year left to go on that and it's only 4 months until the 5 years post surgery mark. This year I experienced cording in my arm. I've had it twice in the last couple of years, and I just massage it. I haven't needed to get physical therapy. I have some throbbing feelings at my surgical site. My last mammo was clear, but there is a lump of what my onc says is scar tissue. I'm thinking about going to my surgeon to see what she thinks. I also had my blood drawn to see if I'm pre- or post-menopausal. I don't think my doc will switch me from Tamoxifen to an aromatase inhibitor at this late date, but she always asks. Warm wishes to all.

• dixiebell
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hello group:

I was doing so great, did 3 months of rick simpson cbd oil in 2014 and was ned. Today I found out I have 4 new spots sacrum, pelvis more on the spine and femur. So I will do alternative again along with a an injectable hormone monthly. I have a big wedding coming up in November, have been dating for 2 and a half years and am hoping I can proceed. I also have another grandbaby due any day. But I feel good and thank God for that.

Jamie

• joan811
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hello Jamie,

It is good to hear from you - we are all approaching the 5 year mark at this time. I also hope others check in. We started here with all our questions and fears, and have moved on with what life has had in store.

I wish you had better news. I am glad that your wholistic approach has sustained you this far. I hope and pray that you will keep these spots contained. Your life is full, and your outlook is positive.
    So much to live for, Jamie....I wish you joy with the wedding and grandchild, and your relationship.

Cancer is a thief and life interrupter. But it cannot destroy the spirit.
    Keep checking in.
    Hugs and prayers...
    Joan

• dixiebell
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi Joan:

So glad you checked in. My granddaughter was born this week, she is so cute, I went to MD Anderson Today and he feels very positive by getting on the hormone therapy I should be put into remission. I sure hope so. But its back to juicing and raw foods and my other alternatives. I did so well on that and just stopped, Complacency is not a good thing! Keep in touch!

• joan811
    edited July 2016
    Options

Jamie, Congratulations on your granddaughter! Such a blessing in the midst of a crazy world, and a world with BC. I am glad that the doc sees remission in the near future for you. That is good news.
    I hope you are doing well and enjoying the baby - not sure if she will be nearby, but I hope you get to see her and hold her often.

Many of us are coming up on the five year mark....nothing magical about that, no matter what "they say" ... many of our August 2011 group have had major challenges and battles with BC. Some have lost; some are cancer free.

I hope everyone will check in at some point during this year.
    Hugs and prayers for good health and good days ahead.
    Joan811

• joan811
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi August 2011 ladies,

Most of us have reached the 5 year mark, whatever that means....

Would love to hear from anyone who was on this thread.

Wishing good health and good times for everyone who has visited here.

Hugs,

Joan811

Remembering our beautiful and courageous blondelawyer and lilylady

• rockym
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi Everyone!

I still pop in from time to time to read a few threads. I feel great this days, but I do think cancer aged me. My 52nd birthday is coming up and I do go through periods where stuff just hurts :-). Maybe it is age... I say it was from surgery, chemo and rads. Either way, I am still here. My son started college and is living in the dorms and my daughter started high school. Lots of changes... always.

Rocky

• joan811
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi Rocky,
    So good to hear from you.
    Sorry you feel that pain...some of it could be "aging" but more likely, just long term effects of treatments.  Most of my issues are related to the AI drug Femara which suppresses estrogen and causes premature aging.  But, as you say, "I'm still here" and I am grateful.

I think it is a wonderful milestone to have your son in college and daughter in high school.  It just reminds me of how young you are.  When I was diagnosed, my youngest was in college.  I was able to see him graduate and get a job.  That meant the world to me.

Best wishes for continued good health and peace in your heart!

I wish everyone on this old thread would check in...and that everyone would be doing well. 

Joan811

• dixiebell
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi I am still her, have mets to many bones and progressing. But I have outlived my expiration date. I got married last week to a man I have dated for 3 years. I also have a new grand baby, so 2 grandbabies now.

• rockym
    edited December 2016
    Options

dixiebell, The pictures are absolutely beautiful! Congratulations! Good for you living life to its fullest and I wish you many more years of good health and happiness :-)

• joan811
    edited February 2017
    Options

Dixibell-Jamie, You are stunning!  What a wonderful beautiful celebration of life.  I just love your photos.  Seeing you with your family and precious granddaughter is so heartwarming.
    Congratulations to you and your new husband.  May life overflow with love and joy!

Joan

• joan811
    edited May 2017
    Options

Sending out well-wishes to all the August 2011 ladies...

We are celebrating completing 5 years of recovery and are almost through our 6th year!

I hope some will check in...this was a very special thread for me in August 2011... my lifeline....terrifying and comforting at the same time.

I am so grateful!

Joan811

• joan811
    edited August 2017
    Options

Calling all August 2011 Surgery Ladies!
    We are celebrating 6 years out from breast cancer diagnosis, surgery, and treatment.
    It would be great to hear from you this month.

Remembering all the brave ladies here who joined hands for a time to negotiate the unknown paths we all followed.
    Many of us have moved on to life after breast cancer. Some are still battling old or new diagnoses.

And remembering those who have lost their fight and are angels....

Let's always remember how much better it was to not be alone and to have this group.
    May God bless and keep you all safe and healthy and happy.

Joan811

Remember Lisa....blondelawyer

• joan811
    edited August 2017
    Options

Today, 8/29, it has been six years since my surgery date. I want to thank everyone on BCO who helped me ... some of whom do not even know that I was reading a post that helped me or comforted me.
    I especially remember the ladies on this thread.
    I hope this year was a good one, and that the next will be even better.
    Joan