Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

The 'Journey' has begun!!!! aka Chrissyb's USA Adventure!!!

Options

Comments

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    Options
    I had the pleasure of 'seeing' the gals last night on my iPad Facetime app. AmyJo has it so I called and she aimed the screen at everyone. How cool. I so wish I could be there. Frown
  • chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    Options

I so wish I could make myself get on a plane so I could join at least some of the get togethers.  Just thinking about flying throws me into a panic.  Haven't always been this way but........

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704
    Options

OK Chrissy, I am soooooo jealous of your travels & you getting to meet all the gals, but I am soooooooooooo bummed that you are only going to LA in Calif----Go north-say Sacramento & I'll try to get down there to meet you!

What a wonderful journey you are on!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704
    Options

OK Chrissy, I am soooooo jealous of your travels & you getting to meet all the gals, but I am soooooooooooo bummed that you are only going to LA in Calif----Go north-say Sacramento & I'll try to get down there to meet you!

What a wonderful journey you are on!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,883
    Options

Hee-hee, Sherryc, you are absolutely right. 

Hey Texas Gals:

We'd be happy to keep Chrissy longer, but that would not be fair to all of you.  I know you will enjoy her company next weekend as much as I did.  If you play your cards right, you might get to hear her say, "A dingo ate my baby!"  Just kidding.  Maybe not.  You might never know. 

But please don't humiliate yourself by asking for the "Shrimp on the Barbie" phrase.  The Aussies call them prawns, ladies, and you will just end up feeling foolish if you make that error.  Don't ask me how I know this. 

Finally, she is very good-natured and will roll with whatever you have planned for her, but whatever you do, don't act like a bunch of Wallys, o.k.?

• suzieq60
    suzieq60 Member Posts: 1,422
    Options

Hey Chrissy - it just gets better and better. Have the girls asked why you are so fascinated by the squirrels - I get a buzz out of seeing them too :) Keep having fun!!!

Sue

• rohanna
    rohanna Member Posts: 154
    Options

I agree with ruthbru. You should write a travel book and publish your pictures! I'm loving your journies!

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

Chrissy really no squirrels in the Aussie land?

• QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150
    Options

So glad to see these pics!  It's wonderful that you're having such a fantastic adventure, Chrissy.  Now listen, if you really, really like the squirrels, I'd be happy to pack one up and send it to you!  Right now, this fellow is trying to eat our roof vents and our gutters and I'd be delighted to send him a long way away!  We've got lots of oak trees and also a hickory tree, but he prefers the things on our roof for some reason.

Kathy

• wahine
    wahine Member Posts: 7,590
    Options

Good idea Kathy (QCA)! From one Kathy to another, I would love to send Chrissy SEVERAL squirrels too! But not really, because they chewed through our soffits and got into our attic and ruined new luggage, etc that we stored there.Plus made huge holes in several places, to get in.  FINALLY got everything sealed up, but we keep our fingers crossed every fall/winter that they won't try to come back inside to stay warm! Our dog Molly chases them away from the bird feeders, but not soon enough as they go thru all the birdseed! They think squirrels caused a house in our subdivision to burn to the ground, by chewing thru wiring in their attic. This was less than a year ago.

Chrissy, I am so loving reading about your travels! Sure wish I could have met you too, but you are meeting so many fantastic gals!!  Have you done a count of all the bc gals you've met so far? I am so glad that your trip is turning out to be so FANTASTIC!!

Hugs,

Kathy

• suzieq60
    Options

Send me some squirrels too - I love seeing them overseas - no we don't have them in OZ. We have possums who run over our tin roof at night - they're a pest.

• wahine
    Options

Susie, Packing up as many squirrels as I can round up....LOL. We have opossums too...at our former house in the country they would get in the attic somehow and it sounded like a man tromping around, and was scary. Here in town, we had a mama and her babies that kept climbing around the top of our fence by the house, driving the dogs crazy and kept them barking! Maybe thats why I love birds the best!!! LOL.....

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    Options

We have lots of squirrels too but they haven't caused us any problems.  About 20 years ago the city had an invasion of possums, they were all over the place, dead or alive (dumbest wild critter I ever heard of).  Then about ten years ago coyotes moved to town--no more possums.  Not many coyotes either, not the problem the possums were.

• Elisimo
    Elisimo Member Posts: 1,262
    Options

We have one little squirrel that likes to eat our bird seeds from the feeders. Daisy dog has almost caught him twice now. He is missing two bites from his tail, you would think he would learn there is a dog that can catch him in this yard. Maybe he just likes the thrill of the chase!

It was such fun to spend some time with Chrissy first in Duck, NC then in Shell Knob, MO. I was really hoping I could háček met up with her agian before she goes back home, but that is just not possible. I know everyone that meets her has had or is in for a treat.

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914
    Options

We used to have squirrels around until a hawk moved into the neighborhood........ Haven't seen a squirrel for quite a while now.

• suzieq60
    Options

AmyJo - I hope to meet her next time we go to South Australia to see our daughter!! She definitely is a darling :)

Hope you are still having a great time Chrissy!!!

Love the squirrel stories!!

• Elisimo
    Elisimo Member Posts: 1,262
    Options

I still would like to have kidnapped her and kept her here and told her DH he had to come here to get her then keep them both.  Think that would cause an international incident?  My family is good at that sort of thing. Smile

• bak94
    bak94 Member Posts: 652
    Options

This is the best thread ever!!!! Great pics and descriptions ChrissyB!

• lwd
    lwd Member Posts: 234
    Options

Chrissy,

I'll also pack up a few (or a lot) of squirrels to send with you.  They are going nuts here storing up for the winter, digging holes all over the yard.  We had them in the attic about 15 years ago.  They sounded like they were bowling up there!  They chewed wiring and an electrician told us we were lucky they hadn't started a fire.  Now we have a steel roof, after hail damage, and they don't seem to have chewed through that yet, but it wouldn't surprise me!!!  Yes, they are cute, but they are also a MAJOR PAIN IN THE BUTT!  Take all you want!!!

THEY, and I, will be waiting for your arrival!  Have fun in San Antonio!

Love you, and am excited.  If you're up for it, Karen and I will take you to see Red Rocks Amphitheater In west Denver on Sun., where the Beatles made their debu in the U.S. 

Then, Mon. morning we're on our way to see the buffalo (bison) herd outside Denver, the little mining town of Georgetown, then on to Glenwood Springs, for an autumn leaf tour and a long, relaxing dip in their famous hot springs pool under the stars.  Then Tues. we'll loop back through Aspen and Independence Pass, and stop at Hartsel for Dorothy's famous home made tamales (I'll grab a bunch for my freezer while we're at it).

The squirrels and I await you!

Lane

• wahine
    Options

Wow Lane, you have a wonderful itinerary planned for Chrissy! Sure wish I could have met her, but "almost" feel like I have, by reading all the comments in this journal, as well as Chrissy's posts and pictures. What a gal! Were you meaning to make a pun when you wrote the squirrels were "going nuts here"? LOL. Sure did a lot of damage at your house, and glad you have a steel roof now. Cute little things. but do toooo much damage, and also eat all our birdseed!!!

Chrissy, can't wait for your next entry in your journal here! Keep having a great time!

Hugs,

Kathy

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    Options

Well off to Eureka Springs we went and oh what a beautiful country this is!!!   Everywhere I look I see amazing things and the Ozarks are so beautiful that I haven't got enough words in my vocabulary to describe them.  They make my heart sing!

We hadn't even reached Eureka Springs and I was going snap happy with the camera...lol!  Some of the buildings that we saw on the way were very interesting, particularly the old barns.  We never see that shape in Australia but I guess they are built that way to cope with the snow.

When we arrived at our destination my first thought was....WOW!  How am I going to climb those hills?  Yes you guessed it, the town is literally built on the hills and I don't think any levelling was done at the time so each building follows the lay of the land.  It really makes for a quaint, interesting and challenging place to walk around but also beautiful in it's higgledy piggledy way.

MissKitty parked the car (she was our lovely driver) and we all piled out....well sort of crawled out.......and the first thing we saw was this fantastic mural on the side of the building facing the car park.  It is of the early settlement of Eureka Springs.  I have take the pics in two as it would have been difficult to see any detail had it been done in one shot.  The first should be to the left.

The building that is a corner building you see in the bottom pic is still standing and is now a Quilt Shop.....and a very god one I might add as Amyjo and I really checked it out!

Same building dead centre of the pic.  I love seeing buildings that are from settlement as they really project the history of a place.

On our way up to the main shopping area we were discussing Funnel cakes and whether or not I had tried one....well needless to say I had never heard of them let alone tried one so Marybe got one for all of us to share.  I will admit that it was delicious!!! 

While waiting for it to cook, this fellow was picking his banjo so we lined up to listen.......he was very good and took requests and did Duelling Banjoes and the Beverly Hillbillies for us........Yee Ha!!!

We wandered the streets like lost children.......well not really but we did wander in and out the shops as we made our way up the hill.  Unfortunately, Amyjo an I had to call it quits about halfway up but we were happy to just browse in the Quilt store and wait for the others to return.  It was such a good afternoon and everyone had fun!

Everyday that I am here, I see changes in the trees as they begin to dress for Autumn .......it is a wonder to behold and I never get sick of looking at it.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,883
    Options

You forgot to say that we were all singing the Beverly Hillbillies theme at the top of our lungs! 

• suzieq60
    Options

Chrissy - you're making me cry - I'm SO glad you are having such a wonderful time.

Sue

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,766
    Options

Chrissy,

I have thoroughly enjoyed following you on your travels. I'm seeing America through your eyes. Thank-you for the tour.

Continue having fun!

Wonderland

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    Options

hey Chrissy, had I known, I would've brought you some squirrels!  We have black walnut trees in our back yard so have squirrels to spare.  This is the time of year when the nuts are ripe and they're falling from the trees (scares the heck out of ya when one hits the roof with a BANG).  The lawn is littered with large green globes that contain the walnuts, and the squirrels are very busy!

safe travels!  {{hugs}}

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    Options

Sunday came all too soon as we had had a late night once again chatting and laughing but it didn't really matter as we had decided to go to the Ozarks Culinary School near Branson for brunch so an early start was not needed.  This School is apparently tuition fee free and they way the students pay their way is they work.  The school has it's own farm where it raises it's own beasts as well as produce and the menu served to the diners is cooked and served by the students under the eagle eye of the teachers.  The whole experience begins when you park the car.  The building is stunning!  It's has the look of a Swiss Chalet and is built entirely out of wood.

As we walked in the door, we were greeted by the most amazing stick furniture and believe it or not, it is extremely comfortable to sit in!

Of course many pics were taken as it was the perfect set up.  While waiting at the entrance to be seated, the view into the dinning room was incredible!  The table just in front of us was the dessert table and it was decorated by an amazing ice swan!  The desserts were pretty good too....lol!

After eating, we visited the gift shop as I was determined to find a recipe book that contained the best buttermilk biscuits that I had ever tasted as I needed to take it home to share with other Aussies.  It was at this point that we had to say goodbye to Badger as she needed to leave for her long drive home.  I'm so glad I got to meet her and I want to thank her once again for making such a long trip.

When we left we headed for Branson to check out some of the sights there.  I was unaware, that is until I came there, that Branson was a mecca for all the older stars, people like Andy Williams and Anne Margaret just to name two.  The road on which they have their own theatres is called 'The Strip' and has some of the most funny and interesting buildings advertising what happens within.  Here are but a few,

I burst out laughing when I saw this one!

Have you ever seen a big Rooster and Cows on a roof?  There were so many funny ones but a bit further down the strip, my heart flew into my mouth as I thought that King Kong was once again loose!

Not long after seeing the beast we headed for the safety of home where we once again relaxed with a Marguerite some good snacks and good conversation.  It was our last night all together as in the morning MissKitty and Elimar were leaving and after lunch it would be time to say goodbye to Amyjo.

Although I have met and said goodbye to so many lovely ladies, it does not get any easier for me but I do take all of you with me in my heart.

Monday came and went and goodbyes were said with lots of hugs, so that left Marybe and I.  After we took Amyjo to the airport, Marybe treated me to a show in Branson.  We saw a tribute show to Frankie Valley and the Four Seasons.  The artists were very good and had me tapping my toes and clapping my hands to the rythm, thank you Marybe for a wonderful afternoon!

On Tuesday it was time for me to start getting organised and making sure that I had everything together so I could pack with ease.  Having done that, Marybe and I went out for brunch and visited the quilt shop at Shell Knob......I just can't seem to help myself when there is material involved and I am amazed at the cost of it over here.  For those of you who are quilters, take it from me, your supplies here are soooooo cheap!   I pay almost three times as much in Aus per yard........so I guess you can see why I am going nuts here.....lol!  Tuesday afternoon bought Marybe's cousin, her dad and Uncle Bill to Shell Knob and I am so glad I got to meet them all.  They really are so sweet.  On Tuesday evening, after Dave took us on a more intimate tour of Shell Knob, he took us to dinner at the Steak House and it was wondeful ......the best steak I've had in a very long time! and the company made it even more special!  After waving goodbye to them as they headed back to Springfield Marybe and I headed inside to grab our computers and head for Subway to use their internet until they closed at 9.00pm.

I have been using Skype telephone to stay in contact with my family as it works out a whole lot cheaper than using a phone but of course internet is an essential part of it.  Back at the house Marybe said goodnight and I set to to get my suitcases in order once again as Wednesday was my goodbye day to Shell Knob.  I could truly live there it is so peaceful and the view is to die for!  I would dearly love to return one day and who knows .......maybe?

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,036
    Options

Wow! What a trip!

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    Options

where to next??

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    Options

chrissy, it was my very great pleasure to get to meet you!  I was home by midnight Sunday, not a bad drive at all thanks to cruise control and a GPS device.  And lots of coffee LOL!  And Monday off for recuperation.

Marybe's a fabulous hostess!  So glad to know you ladies and amyjo, misskitty, and elimar.

SoCal, I believe she's headed next to Texas.  Cool

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options
    Chrissy-----------what a great adventure---------wish I knew about the quilting could have brought you lots of pieces, but i'm guessing you will get lots from all over the world--------and what is your addressCool I suggest that we all send her one of our caps from chemo. Chrissy you can cut them up and make  a chemo graduation quilt. For those that don't mind, sign where it would be easy for Chrissy to cut around. Or cut the cap up and send it to her with your signature on it.