Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Radiation recovery

Comments

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited April 2013

Kate, I've been following your roller coaster and my heart is with you.  At least with surgery coming soon, whatever's in your bladder will get OUT of there and you will start to get some answers.  Hope you can stay calm and comfortable as much as possible.  I'll be thinking about you at 3:30 your time along with all the other sweet supporters on this forum!  Good luck.

• Lisa1637
    Lisa1637 Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2013

Thinking of you Kate! xo Lisa

• VickieHall777
    VickieHall777 Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2013

Oh, Kate! I have been following and praying for you. I have not been posting because of my work schedule. I am so sorry that you are having to deal with all of this. Please know that I am with you in spirit. I am in the corner of your pocket always.

As for all of my other sisters here, I am reading and praying for all of you as well. You will never know how much info and encouragement I have received from you all. My situation is far less intense than most of you. I am being evaluated for lymphedema of the breast in a couple of weeks. I have no swelling in my arm, but my continued swelling and pain could indicate this diagnosis. Otherwise I am doing well and just want to be an encourager to my BC sisters.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited April 2013

I'm so glad you'll have a mini vacation.  It seems these RO's are very, very good at bringing us to the absolute peak of our tolerance.  Luckily, those rads keep working for a while, so days off are pretty regular happeninigs.  I swear our job is to let them know exactly how far we can go.  I also swear they have some secret antenna letting them know when we are really at the edge. 

I'm Brooklyn born and bred and thinking of you!

• brooksidevt
    edited April 2013

Sorry, I forgot to address that post:  QueenKong, it's for you.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2013

Kate I will be in your pocket today thinking only good thoughts.  You know I will save those cake balls for you.  Anytime you want, just ask.  Hang in there and know that you have many friends here who care!

For those with skin issues I sympathize.  I had some fairly severe burning/peeling.  For anyone new, please do not let this scare you as this is not a normal response.  Many women don't have serious skin issues.  I used those soaks i recommended earlier, and like Sew, I love the Calendula gel.  It was so soothing and oil free as well.  I got the Biore brand as well.  It is great stuff.  Freezing wet cloths in Ziploc bags can help as well.  The good news is the healing begins quickly so you won't have these skin issues for long. 

Sending healing thoughts to all, and an abundance of love.

• brooksidevt
    edited April 2013

KateHudson, I can't imagine what you're going through.  Whenever it seems all is under control, some truly bizarre curveball from way, way beyond left field turns up.  Let's hope today's surgery is the last surprise for a very, very long while.  I pray all will go smoothly and you'll heal lickety split!  While we BC sisters will be stuffing your pockets, your doc and nurses and all will be right there to give you comfort and support.  And if you're stressed, don't hesitate to ask for a social worker or a chaplain to talk with you.  They're right on site and are there for you too.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited April 2013

Kate you were the first person on my mind this morning and you will be in my thoughts and prayers all day. By tonight you will have some idea what is going on. I am glad you have the good people at the hospital taking excellent care of you. Much love, GiGi

• Cindyl
    Cindyl Member Posts: 498
    edited April 2013

QueenKong - no script needed for the Mepilex.  It's just a (very spendy) dressing that you cut so it's a little bigger than the open sores. You put it over the sores and it sticks to the healthy skin.  Comes off easily, not ouchy at all. It works wonders to protect the places that get rubbed and raw. You may be able to buy it in a drug store, but I couldn't find it locally, I know you can get it from Amazon, but my ROs nurse just gave me a couple of 8X11 sheets whenever I needed some (last week or so of rads and for a couple weeks after) 

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2013

(((Kate)))  Oh...and perhaps you can talk to the urologist before or after surgery tonight or tomorrow to find out what's happening.  he probably has the results of your biopsy yesterday and if not, can get them.  he also probably knows why they did the lynph node instead of the lung biopsy.  It will be in person like you like, and you like that doctor, and then you won't have to wait till the 9th to see the MO.  I know you don't like phone calls, but waiting to find out is very difficult.

• MostlySew
    edited April 2013

Vicki.....I'm glad you're being evaluated for lymphedema.  I also had truncal LE, and no swelling in my arm.  My LE specialiast says she is seeing more and more of that kind of LE.  For me, it sure helped the swelling and the odd pains that poor old breast would get.  I'm hoping it works for you too....

Brooklyn....I'm still giggling over your being brooklyn born and bred ...  great line Laughing

Ok, today I really truly am going to work on my taxes.....

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited April 2013

Turned out to be allergies so I am glad I put it off till next week. Was having a pity party day about a possible bladder infection till I read Kate's post. Good grief!!!

Kate - I can handle these little blips with what you are going through. Prayers to you!!!

• MostlySew
    edited April 2013

Bunkie.....yuck!  I'm so sorry, but good you're taking a few days off.  Got any cranberry juice?  That always helps me.  Good luck....

• justmejanis
    edited April 2013

I also had Truncal LE Vickie.  Once I was diagnosed and had physical therapy for it, I felt so much better.  If I have problems I can do the exercises at home.  It is well controlled now and my breasts are finally the same size again.  It was odd having my BC breast a whole cup size larger than my good one!

Kate you have been on my mind this morning.  I hope you get some much needed answers.  I agree with Sew, that receiving some news while at the hospital should be easier.  You have so many friends here too so remember we are always here for you.  We'll get through this with your favorite wine and lemon cake balls!

Bunkie I am glad you don't have a bladder infection!  I'll be right there when you do go for your biopsy.  I have a good feeling you will find out there is nothing to worry about.  :)

For all those still in treatment, remember this is just a phase.  Healing happens and your energy returns.  :)

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited April 2013

Joan thanks so much for your support. You are a doll

• VickieHall777
    VickieHall777 Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2013

Thank you for the encouragement about LE. I am really hoping this will be the answer.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited April 2013

Vickie, I'm another member of the truncal LE club.  For me it was/is very manageable.  Good luck and I hope you get relief fast!

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Janis,

I won't be getting any news at the hopsital at all. The pathology report from yesterday won't be sent to my doctor till Friday The pathology report will be sent to my medical ocologist on Monday. My medical oncologist is out of town and he will Be back Monday.

I have an appointment with my medical oncologist Tuesday, and I will find out about a treatment plan than.

Thank for your support So much looking forward to you cake balls

Hug, Kate

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2013

Kate,
    It's getting crowded in the pocket...everyone cares about you...
    I'll be saying prayers this afternoon and evening for an "uneventful" procedure.
    I hope things will be handled the way you have requested.    I know waiting is difficult for you.  I'm not sure if you got any meds to take before you go, but if not, be sure to ask for something to relax if you need it.
    Gentle hugs...I hope to hear from you later.
    Joan

• justmejanis
    edited April 2013

Kate did you learn anything at all about the leg swelling or the blood in the urine?  I was just wondering if they could at least tell you something.  How is the leg swelling today?  I certainly hope you get some relief soon.  Cake balls are waiting for whenever you feel up to them.  I saved some just for you.  I am also making a carrot cake with tons of cream cheese frosting.  We will all party in style.  Hugs back!

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Joan,

Thanks so much you are a doll. My surgery will be in less than 3 hours. I didn't slwwp well last nigh. only one hour of sleep with intravenous ativan. Today I am so tired I don't even need drugs. I so appreciate you and my bc support. You will all be in my hospital gown pockects. When I can I will email to let you know that I am ok

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Janis, Blood in my urine is caused by my bladder tumor. My leg swelling is a little better, and they are not sure what is causing it. I can't wait for your deserts. I will post after the surgery.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited April 2013

Hi Kate! Good to see that you are posting and seeing all of this support! It is so strange that you had no inkling of a bladder tumor and now there is bleeding from it? I just hope they can get you going on some tx protocol that knocks that tumor back and gets it down to NONE. As for the surgery, just know we are with you and sending you healing vibes and lots of hugs!

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi April.

Two and a half weeks ago I was fine, and now every minute I am having an emergency. I can't thank you enough for your support. Your posts and the other bc sisters posts bring me so much comfort. Ive now been told my surgery is at 4. Late surgery sucks. nothing by mouth all daY long. I will post after my surgery when I can

• MostlySew
    edited April 2013

Spiney...are you out here?  Did you graduate?  I think you had your last rads on the 28th or so......hope you're doing well, and here is a late  CONGRATULATIONS!  Well done....now just recovery is left to do.......

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited April 2013

I hope your doing ok Kate,

On the bright side I just took a walk with the dog tonight and it was 2 blocks!!I hope everyone is ok.Praying for you Kate

• MostlySew
    edited April 2013

Josie....great that you could do a walk. Bet it felt just great too! Now you can have an extra bite of dessert in celebration

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2013

Have a good night...

Kate hope to hear from you soon.  The cake ball tasting pocket party is great.

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

My surgery started at 5, and I was back in my room at 8. When in recovery I had terrible cramps, and they gave ne morphine and I was ok after that. That was 3 hiurs agio and now I am pain free

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited April 2013

Kate, glad to see that you are through the surgery and now pain free. A wonderful thing to see this morning! HUGE gentle hugs for a quick recovery! xoxo

Josie, high five on the two blocks! Now you can have an extra cake ball or two Wink

Off to work ladies...running late today! xoxo Thinking of all of you who are blazing that trail I will soon walk...and I thank you for sharing all of your experiences!