Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Radiation recovery

Options

Comments

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited November 2011
    Options

Elizabeth..that is awesome that you submitted some meaningful feedback.  This is the only way they can learn and improve.  I do hope they take your suggestions to heart.  There is always room for improvement and the patients are the best judge of that.

Merilee my MO pulled me off Arimidex avbout 2 weeks in due to severe dizziness.  I see him next week to discuss options.  I am not convinced Arimidex was the culprit however.  It was happening just as i got so sick with that nasty cold and wonder if that may have caused some inbalance with everything else going on?  Anyway I will see what he decides when I see him Wednesday.

My incision from the thyroid surgery is still pretty sore, but not painful really.  More uncomfortable than anything else.  I have a colonoscopy scheduled for Thursday.  I am so, so ready to be done with medical procedures! 

Love and hugs brave ladies........

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 913
    edited November 2011
    Options

Janis, so glad you came through your thyroid surgery so well.  I am praying for B9 too.  Elizabeth, good for you.  I always try to give suggestions for improvement too, when I am asked.  I hope it will help others going through the same thing.  The rads center I went to had a lovely purple wall above the fireplace, and it was bare.  I often thought it needed a soothing painting there.  I vowed to donate one, if they would accept the donation.  I wanted to pick something that would be soothing to those waiting to go in, without being too much in any way.  Your actions inspire me to do that.  

This week I have to get back to paying attention to the bc after treatment.  I have taken a long break from it.  I am hoping my MO won't be too annoyed with me.  I just needed some time to be normal. 

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited November 2011
    Options

Has anyone done implants and lifts? I had two lumpectomies and my right breast is a little smaller than my left, so I am having surgery for implants and lifts on Dec. 6. In one way I am a little scared, but in another way I am excited to get this done. I am a B cup, fairly small, going to a C cup wahoo! This should especially nice, because my husband deserted me a few years ago, and now I am looking for Mr. right.

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited November 2011
    Options

GiGiL, What a lovely idea to donate a painting.  You will comfort so many people that way.

• justmejanis
    edited November 2011
    Options

GiGiL.....how nice of you to want to donate a painting for the center.  I am sure both the center and the patients will appreciate it!

Taking a break from cancer is okay.  I think we all want to feel normal again! 

Hugs sweet lady............

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited November 2011
    Options

I have been lurking alot lately and not posting. Sometimes it is hard to shake this inner demon. One thing for sure, your life is never the same. All the Dr. appts. are overwelming. It is so hard not to think about it when you have 3 appts a week. The test seem endless. But your all in my thoughts and prayers....

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited November 2011
    Options

Hang in there Irw333.

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    edited November 2011
    Options

Irw333-You are definitely not alone. I know that I feel that way sometimes. Hugs.

• walley
    walley Member Posts: 195
    edited November 2011
    Options

IRW333

I feel very overwelmed sometimes also.I am 5 months past rads and sometimes I just feel like I want my life back.....before  BC.I just want to feel normal.Whatever that isSmile!Hang in there. .Some days are just harder than others ,I know.Have a peaceful Thanksgiving everyone.

• justmejanis
    edited November 2011
    Options

Irw.......oh hon, I feel bad that you are going through this rough patch.  Please don't be a stranger here.  You have a lot of love and support heading your way.  I hope the demons are pushed back.  Cancer is tough, but my money is on you to be tougher.  Big, gentle hugs to you!!!

• lrw333
    edited November 2011
    Options

Thanks Ladies. I knew you all would understand. Your such amazing strong woman. I read your struggles and your triumphs. And wish I could take it all away. Thanks for all the encouragement. It is so hard sometimes... Joy! I get to spend another night in the hospital. I have sleep apnea now? Sometimes I think some of this stuff is a gimmick. I have to get a C-Pak machine??? Anyone else having a problem with it? Just curious.

• SAB
    edited November 2011
    Options

Hi irw.  I have had moderate sleep apnea for some time, but trying some less extreme strategies before machine...weight loss, change of sleep position and then mouthpiece.  Must admit that apnea has taken back seat these last few months but I did see my Mom really get disoriented from it over time so I will address it.  Hesitation due to vanity and, well, sexy husband. A friend of ours had surgery on soft palate but it didn't work. By the way, we also have a friend who swears by machine, travels with it, tells us it saved his life made him bright and alert again after years of sleep deprivation.  Good luck!

• neecee
    neecee Member Posts: 125
    edited November 2011
    Options

Irw - my husband has mixed apnea, meaning he has both types of apnea - obstructive apnea (where the airway closes) and central apnea (where the brain fails to send a signal to breathe).  He has a special CPAP that forces him to breathe when the brain fails to trigger.  He does not always wear his mask, but I can tell you he has a different energy level (positive) when he wears the mask.  Sleep apnea can cause other very serious health problems if not treated.  The sleep test will tell your doctors what is going on and how to best treat it.

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited November 2011
    Options

(((lrw)))  I hope you get the sleep stuff worked out and are feeling better soon.  Life is hard enough without being exhausted all the time!

The fatigue is still stalking me.  I took a nap this morning which helped me get through a long day of kid stuff.  

Janis, I hope you are recovering well!  I've put my hysterectomy off for a few weeks.  I decided to go to a big hospital for a second opinion which, of course, means more waiting.

Cheers,

Steph 

• lrw333
    edited November 2011
    Options

The more I talk to people the more common it has become. Maybe there is something to it. I am going to give it a try. I appreciate everyone sharing with me... It would be nice to sleep all night. LOL I hope your all having a wonderful day....

• SAB
    edited November 2011
    Options

The sleep test is weird but worth it.

• katehudson25
    edited November 2011
    Options

I went to my plastic surgeon today for an appointment 3 weeks before my surgery. I didn't realize it, but i have red bumps by my incision. Does anyone else have this? I have an appointment with my medical oncologist tomorrow. I hope this is not an infection.

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited November 2011
    Options

Kate, My incisions were red and bumpy for almost a year. Hope all is well.

• justmejanis
    edited November 2011
    Options

Off to my colonoscopy.  I was so sick last night.  The Gatorade cocktail did not settle well on my stomach.  It came up, not out.  It was not a good night.  Hopefully enough is clean that they won't have any problem with the procedure.  I'll let you know.

Merilee, how is your hair coming along???? 

Hope everyone has a great day today. 

• katehudson25
    edited November 2011
    Options

Merilee and Dogeyed, thank you for letting me know. I am going to my medical oncologist today to find out what he thinks it is, Janis I had a coloscopy about a week before I took the mammogram that has changed my life. The night before the procedure was miserable I gagged on the coctail and could barely keep it down. The colonoscopy itself was a breeeze, since they put you asleep for it. It turns out that I had 7 benign polyps. Usually you need a colonoscopy every 10 years, but if you have polyps you need one every 3 hyears. So I will have to get another one in 3 years. Yuk!

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited November 2011
    Options

Janis, when do you get your results from your thyroid surgery?

• justmejanis
    edited November 2011
    Options

Colonoscopy was a breeze, no polyps.  I showed up at the hospital wearing two totally different tennis shoes!!  LOL.  Good think I keep an extra (matching) pair in my trunk.  Now I know why!

Merilee, I get the results Monday when I go back to see my surgeon.

Thanks for all the good thoughts my friends!  I am fine and hopefully done with that hospital for awhile!

• stephN
    edited November 2011
    Options

I hope you can steer clear of the hospital for a while, too, Janis.  So glad that's behind you...err, so to speak.  ;o)  I was scheduled for a colonoscopy last week, but cancelled it for a while.  There's only so much I can take at the moment!

Kate, my incision is red and bumpy too.

Steph 

• katehudson25
    edited November 2011
    Options

I saw my medical oncologist today. He said the red bumps by my scar are nothing to worry about. He got the results back from my bone density test, and I have osteoporosis. I am going to have an infusion of reclast( a bone hardening drug in two weeks. I am still having back problems, and I am having an mri on November 28. Gosh, I am sick of these medical procedures.

• lrw333
    edited November 2011
    Options

Kate sorry your having more problems. I am doing the same thing. Tired of it too. Praying you have good results... Have a wonderful day everyone...

• katehudson25
    edited November 2011
    Options

Orw333 I am sorry that you are having problems too. Hugs!!!

• katehudson25
    edited November 2011
    Options

I just had a typo the previous message is for IRW333

• lrw333
    edited November 2011
    Options

Hugs Kate!!!  We will get through this....

• neecee
    neecee Member Posts: 125
    edited November 2011
    Options

Kate - I hear you on the medical problems.  I discovered I was osteopenic because of my bone density scan.  Would have never known that if it hadn't been for my MO requesting the scan. Now I take Fosamax weekly.  Came into the year with no doctors and no meds, and will be finishing the year with 4 doctors and daily meds.  Yikes!

• stephN
    edited November 2011
    Options

I'm with y'all.  It's starting to feel like managing my health is a full time job! 

On the subject of radiation recovery, my skin looks great--all the dead brown skin has peeled off--but it itches like crazy.  Anyone else have that lovely little side effect?

Steph