Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Radiation recovery

Options

Comments

• granuaile
    granuaile Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2011
    Options

I'm down to my final four proton radiation (study @MGH) treatments. Two more to the neck and four more to the chest area. I've found I've been able to wear my coobie bra the whole time, and while my neck's hot, it's not burning. I really appreciate all the friends who've shown up to see the machine (and support me). Anyone else feel weird ringing bells at the end of treatment? Il've still got 5 years of tamox and 5 of an AI, and that's if I don't recur!!!!

Sorry for seeming so negative. It's been a long road... 

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited November 2011
    Options

Granuile

That may be your immune system tanking. Have you had your white count checked lately?

• granuaile
    granuaile Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2011
    Options

Hi Merilee - I don't mean I literally "hear" bells. Tradition around MGH is that one celebrates the end of each treatment. I just can't seem to do it. I feel like it's neverending. (And I"m LUCKY!!) I have Herceptin infusions until June and anti hormonals for the lord knows how long. I know I should feel grateful, but I just feel cold and aloof, almost like it's happening to someone else. I wish all of you all of the best.

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Granualie your almost done.... Then you will hear the sweetest music you have ever heard not just bells. Hang in there, it won't be to much longer.. I know what you mean about neverending. It seems like they test you for everything. I go a couple times a week or more for test, DR. visit, etc... This too shall pass.  (I hope)... Smile
  • Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    edited November 2011
    Options

Granualie- I know exactly how you feel. I felt that way many times. You are almost there. It is a great relief when you finish that last treatment. You'll be there SO soon! Hugs.

• lrw333
    edited November 2011
    Options

I am so excited. I was surprised today with a trip to Gatlinburg. 3 days in a cabin. Whooo hooo!!! Nothing like being with the guy you love and doing nothing or w/e you feel like... I am a lucky girl. I wish you all could come with me...  Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

• Merilee
    edited November 2011
    Options

IRW I want to be in Gatlinburg, my baby girl is working at the aquarium. If you go, say Hi to Ashley Eastway from her mom, she will be so surprised. She is the marine biologist that takes care of the sea horse exhibit.

• neecee
    neecee Member Posts: 125
    edited November 2011
    Options

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• lrw333
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Merilee a friend told me it took them 4 hours to get from Pigeon Forge to Gatlinburg last year. Seems like this is the busiest time to visit???   I hope we can get in  the aquarium. If I do I will look for Ashley and give her a hug from you... Leaving after Thanksgiving Dinner today. Take Care everyone and enjoy the holidays...  Laughing
  • Merilee
    edited November 2011
    Options

Irw, that would be so awesome, she will be very surprised. I'll just warn you, she may cry.

She tells me that Gatlinburg is looking just like the magical north pole on steroids LOL

• Ceeztheday
    edited November 2011
    Options

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!  Thanks to all of you ladies for the information, inspiration, and support. I am thankful that we are here to enjoy life on this special day! Onward and upward.

• Merilee
    edited November 2011
    Options

HA! We are like the turkeys who escaped Thanksgiving.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited November 2011
    Options

I hope everyone had a great thanksgiving. I am looking forward to black Friday so I can shop until I drop.

• Merilee
    edited November 2011
    Options

Kate- and have fun, I'm staying home, don't like the shopping frenzy myself. But I have never really been a shopper. I use the Internet and people bring me things LOL I love it.

• katehudson25
    edited November 2011
    Options

Hi Merilee, It was a shopping frenzy, and shopping is a great way for me to escape. Staying home and shopping online was a better idea, but I like the hands on experience. I don't know if I saved much, but most importantly I had fun.

• 5kidsMom
    5kidsMom Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2011
    Options

First post here--finished rads Wednesday!  Excited about that, bummed that my skin wasn't immediately healed :)  Kind of like with chemo. . . . excited to be done, but sad to know that there are still the side effects. 

How long did it take to heal after rads?  My skin was gone from the "crease" in my armpit to about where my nipple should be.  I've been impressed with how quickly it has healed in some places, and dismayed at the continued blistering, oozing and redness in other places :(  Was thinking how nice it would be to go to bed and wake up to it magically healed.  It's a drag, because I can't wear a bra, the creams stain any shirts I'm wearing etc etc, so just going out I feel icky and awkward!

• Merilee
    edited November 2011
    Options

5kids-it takes a few weeks. I went to the goodwill and bought light weight t-shirts that I was able to toss after.

Congrats on being done, what a mile stone right?

• Ceeztheday
    edited November 2011
    Options

5kids - I know how you feel. My armpit was really burned. If it is any consolation, when my rads ended, the armpit healed really fast (about a week). Now, about a month after rads, it looks perfect (still no hair growing there, but who cares). Hang in there and congrats on being done, done, done.

• katehudson25
    edited November 2011
    Options

Merilee, Do you live in Lansing or East Lansing? I have been to East Lansing.

• katehudson25
    edited November 2011
    Options

Thought I would give an update about my medical procedures. Tuesday I have a pre-op appointment. My surgery for implants and lifts is Dec 7. Thursday I have an appointment with my medical oncologist, and I am getting an infusion of reclast, and also I will find out the results of my back mri. I hope everyone is having a fabulous Thanksgiving weekend.

• Merilee
    edited November 2011
    Options

Hi Kate

I am in South Lansing about 10 minutes from MSU.

• neecee
    neecee Member Posts: 125
    edited November 2011
    Options

Happy Sunday alll!  I work in retail, and am off after working both Black Friday and Saturday.  Kate, we are thankful for people like you that love the "in person" shopping experience!

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited November 2011
    Options

I have my surgery on the 12th of December.  I really am praying that my sentinel node will be clear and I won't need to do radiation, but in case I do, what should I watch out for, and is there anything I can do to keep the SE's down?

• katehudson25
    edited November 2011
    Options

Hi Merilee, It is a nice town. My daughter went to school there.

• katehudson25
    edited November 2011
    Options

Hi Neece, I bet you are exhausted from the shopping frenzy.

• katehudson25
    edited November 2011
    Options

Hi Kaara, Just so you know my sentinel node was clear, but I still needed radiation. The most important thing that you can do is continually moisturize. I hope your surgery goes well.

• Merilee
    edited November 2011
    Options

Oh Kate, another Spartan fan, my daughter graduated from there as well. What did your daughter study? And when was she here?

• Ceeztheday
    edited November 2011
    Options

Kaara- My situation was the same as kate. I get the feeling that they recommend the radiation almost in every situation as a preventative measure. Good luck on your surgery and I will be thinking of you. Please post and let us know how you are feeling. Hugs.

• katehudson25
    edited November 2011
    Options

Hi Merilee, Yes my daughter is a spartan fan and so are my granddaughters. My daughter is divorced now, but her husband was from East Lansing. He is one of 6 children so my granddaughters have a lot of aunts, uncles, and cousins there. My granddaughters go to East Lansing for some football games and also on some holidays with their father. My daughter was a business major.

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited November 2011
    Options

Same here.  Clear sentinel node, but I had 36 radiation treatments.  I agree that moisturizing is important.  Also, keeping the friction to a minimun on the areas that get the most, under the breast and under the arm.  

Good luck with your surgery, Kaara!

Steph