Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Radiation recovery

Options

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited November 2011
    Options

Neece, Same situation for me I came into the year with no medical problems at all and no meds. I now have 6 doctors, but luckily still no meds except an infusion of Reclast which I only need to do once a year. I was going to have my mri, for my back on November 28, but I called and changed my appiontment, and I am having it tomorrow. I dislike mri's because you have to be still, so I will be glad when its over.

• katehudson25
    edited November 2011
    Options

Hi Steph, I am 2 months post rads and my skin cleared up very nicely. The other day I was trying on clothes at the mall, and when I came home I had red bumps by my incision, and now that area is itchy once again.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited November 2011
    Options

Steph I had some itching as I was healing after rads but it wasn't too bad.  I hope you can find something that helps.  Don't you just love all the fun SE's?  I have healed very well, just have that weird triangle shaped dark patch of skin on my breast and under my armpit.  No pain so that is good.  Sometimes the breast has  some discomfort but nothing I can't handle.  Deep breaths girl...it does get much better!  It will for you too....I am feeling so much better now and just happy to be almost done with doctors and hospitals.  Three more doctor appointments this year, then done for awhile.  :)

• bb226
    bb226 Member Posts: 23
    edited November 2011
    Options

Steph  I also  had itchiness and some bumps after radiation. After being off from work for 5 days I noticed it was gone. To make a long story short...I developed an allergy to the laudry detergent used by the hospital for my scrubs. I now wear a cotton t shirt under the scrub top and don't have a problem. I have read in other threads that the radiated skin is more sensitive to detergents, perfumes, lotion, wool, etc.

Bless of luck.

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited November 2011
    Options

Thanks, bb...I'll change to an unscented for a week or so and see if that helps.  Good idea!

• katehudson25
    edited November 2011
    Options

Steph I am having the same problem. My skin was fine, but then I went clothes shopping and some material irritated my skin, and now i have bumps and itchiness near my scar. I had an mri for my back today, and that was no fun. I will find out the results when I see my doctor Dec. 1

• stephN
    edited November 2011
    Options

Well, I think I figured out why I was itching.  Another layer of skin came rolling off in big pieces last night.  Blech.  It was disgusting and it's really sore this morning, but hopefully it will feel better now and not be so sensitive.  

Kate, glad your MRI is behind you.  The scans and testing are so anxiety provoking.  Hopefully you will get some answers Monday and it will be helpful to getting your back feeling better.

Hugs to all of you...I'm thankful for you this week!

Steph 

• Genevieve3
    Genevieve3 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    Options

To prevent burning and soreness whilst undergoing radiotherapy, one should take Curcumin4000, the maximum daily amount allowed.  This also reverses any DNA damage.  It is not too late to take this if one has had radiation some time previously.  I get mine from www.goodhealthnaturally.com and also use their health advisers / nutritional therapists for any further free health advice I may need.

• stephN
    edited November 2011
    Options

Love advertisements on the forums.  

For anyone coming for support or just reading along, you should definitely ask your radiation oncologist before taking any supplements.  Mine recommended against taking ANYthing during rads (antioxidants in particular) except a multivitamin because theoretically they could work against the action of the radiation in the body.

Edited to add:  Of course, AFTER radiation, I am adding healthy supplements because I want to heal well and give my body all the support I can!  However, I still recommend checking with your doctor before taking anything.

• katehudson25
    edited November 2011
    Options

Thank you Steph. I won't find out the results of my back mri till I see my doctor December 1. I am loaded down with medical stuff through Dec. 7. Tuesday Nov 29 is my pre op appiontment. Thursday Dec. 1 I go for a reclast infusion and find out the results of my mri. December 7 is my breast reconstruction surgery for implants and lifts. Then I will have to see my surgeon a couple of times. I am hoping 2012 will be so much better for all of us.

• neecee
    neecee Member Posts: 125
    edited November 2011
    Options

Kate - here's to putting all this behind us in 2011!

• katehudson25
    edited November 2011
    Options

Neece I agree! Happiness and good health in 2012

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I hereby invoke health, wealth and happiness to all on this forum. Lighting a candle to send it out to the universe on a stream of love and light. Here here and cheers!Laughing
  • justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited November 2011
    Options

Hi everyone!  I got my thyroid biopsy results back...big B-9!!!!!!!!!!!  Hurray!

Kate I am with you, sick of doctors and appointments but also I believe 2012 will be better for all of us.  I sure hope so.  I know how crazy these past few months have been. 

I feel so grateful that I can ring in a new year soon with my wonderful and brave sistas! 

• MamaV
    MamaV Member Posts: 373
    edited November 2011
    Options

Janis!  I am SOOOOO Happy for you!

• juliet62
    juliet62 Member Posts: 3,246
    edited November 2011
    Options

wonderful news janis

• neecee
    neecee Member Posts: 125
    edited November 2011
    Options

Great news Janis!

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited November 2011
    Options

Janis, I am so happy for you!

• Merilee
    edited November 2011
    Options

JANIS! That is so fab! You must be so relieved!

• katehudson25
    edited November 2011
    Options

Janis, I am so glad that you got good news.

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    edited November 2011
    Options

Hooray! That is great news Janis!

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited November 2011
    Options

Fantastic news Janis!

Merilee may your lovely invocation come true for each and every one of these ladies.  Let me add my wishes to yours.

Saw my BS, MO and RO in the past week--all gave me the all clear for at least 3 months.  No more doctor appointments until 6 month Mammo in mid-January!  RO did refer me to a LE clinic for some instruction and some possible scar management. That's OK...

Happiest of Thanksgiving to you all. 

• Merilee
    edited November 2011
    Options

Anyone still have low wbc? Mine was only 3.1 at last reading a week or so ago. I finished rads in Sept.

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited November 2011
    Options

wOOt!!!  Janice so happy that your test came back B9. Congrats!!!  I have my 6 month mammogram Monday.  I shutter to think I will have these feelings every 6 months. It sucks..... How does everyone cope???  It is soooo hard to do...  I hope 2012 is a wonderful year for all of us.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited November 2011
    Options

Janice, that's great! Wonderful news. Now you can lay that worry to rest. Merilee, thanks for sending the healing stream of love and light. I'm sure it's working for all of us.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone ......

• stephN
    edited November 2011
    Options

Wonderful news, Janis!  So happy to hear it!

Looking forward to a better year in 2012 for everyone!  I'm not seeing all my oncs until December.  Scanxiety alert, haha!  I can totally relate, lrw. 

Wonderful Thanksgiving wishes to all those in the U.S.  My kids are out all week and we have family in town.  It's a busy week.  Great for forgetting all the other stuff!

Best,

Steph 

• katehudson25
    edited November 2011
    Options

Hi irw, the thought of a 6 month mammogram is very scary. Mine is in February

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited November 2011
    Options

IRW333 I could not stand the anxiety of every 6 months mammo's and MRI's not to mention the cost of the MRI's so I have opted to have a BMX with immediate reconstruction in March.  I will be past my 1 year rads which will be better for healing.  I was diag 1 year ago and have already had a scare with another tumor that had to be removed, thankfully it was B9.  But that one did me in and I just felt I could not do it any longer.  My risk of local reocurrance was very high.  So now with BMX my local reocurrance comes down to 2% and my distant reocurrance is 14% and I feel I can live with those numbers very comfortalby and all I will need is clinical breast exams from now on.  Wish I had known in the beginning that if I had had a MX I could have skipped rads but my BS failed to give me that information.  Still hacked at her for that. But now feeling really good about the future. 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited November 2011
    Options

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.  What a year it has been for all of us, but we are still here.  When I think of all I have to be thankful for, my dear and lovely friends here are at the top of my list.

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited November 2011
    Options

Kate, Sherry my sentiments exactly....Well spoken Elizabeth. I am not sure I would have made it w/o you all. So Thankful  that we are all doing so well. I hope everyone has a Happy Turkey Day filled with Love, Happiness and Family and Health of course....  Thinking of you all.  Hugs, Lisa