Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Radiation recovery

Options

Comments

• Vicks1960
    Vicks1960 Member Posts: 393
    edited November 2011
    Options

Kaarad,

My sentinel node + 4 others were clean, the margins were clean.  My BS and both the MO and RO all agreed that I was a l good candidate for the Contura Balloon  Brachytherapy radiation.  I had the Balloon surgically implanted on the 10th, RO CT scanned it to be sure it was positioned properly the 11th, started the 5 day twice a day radiation treatments the 14.  Had last treatment the 18th and the RO removed the balloon then.  MO started me on Letrozol (generic form of Femara MUCH CHEAPER) on Monday the 21st.    Will be on that pill for the next 5 years.

If this option is made available to you, I certainly say go for it.  Since all path. tests were clean and the Oncotype test is in the 12% range, I have been spared the Chemotherapy.  

Let us know how it goes.  I know the 'anticipation' is HARD!!.  

Good Luck and I will add your name to my prayer list..

Vickie

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2011
    Options
    My mother-in-law was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2004 and fought it for 7 years until it finally won last month. She was very courageous during those years and of positive high spirits. During that difficult time for our family, my father-in-law, who is an experienced Pharmacist in Canada, developed the "over the counter" skin treatment called "Radia Kit" to help his wife. The cream/gel kit is formulated with all natural ingredients to restore skin damaged from radiation. The gel/cream kit is applied before and after radiation and the cream is sold separately for those who already completed radiation. It is patent pending in Canada and the USA (patent pending 2639525) and we have sold it mostly in Canada and Europe. Now it is available here in the USA to help minimize the side effects of skin damage from radiation. My mother-in-law was the first to try it years ago and it really helped her to live a better life, which made us a little happier. We hope others will discover it too. It is only available online at www.skin-safety.com. We don't want to only sell a product, but we want to hear from you. Please feel free to send us any questions you may have about improving damaged skin and we'll be glad to respond to your inquiries.
  • exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2011
    Options

Really? 7 of the same posts touting your father's product? Buy advertising space somewhere!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2011
    Options

I apologize.  I was trying to get the word out.  I searched for various posts but I didn't mean to upset anyone.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2011
    Options

Skin Safety, this is a wonderful forum but not for advertising your products or services. See rule #11.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 913
    edited November 2011
    Options

Janis, sorry for the late response.  I have been visiting away from home a lot lately.  I am thrilled that your results were B9!!  Hooray for that.  I have been hypothyroid for a long time.  After my rads my thyroid levels have gone out of whack, and I also have a very low vitamin D3 value.  I had my thyroid meds increased, and am taking vitamin D3 like mad.  Both things can affect the immune system.  Don't want that.  Kate, good luck with your surgery.  You are a brave woman.  I hope your results are all you  hoped for.  Happy Holidays to all of you brave ladies.  Listen to some holiday music and forget the past year for short bits of time.  It helps.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited November 2011
    Options

Hi Gigil, Thank you. I have 2 medical procedures this week. Tomorrow I am having an infusion of reclast, the bone hardening drug, and next Wednesday is my surgery.

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited November 2011
    Options

Kate Praying everything goes ok and you have a speedy recovery. I had my mammogram and its all clear. whoo hoo...

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited November 2011
    Options

lrw333...so, so, so glad to hear that you got the all clear.  Congrats!

Kate, I'm having surgery next week, too.  My hysterectomy is scheduled for next Friday.  I decided to go with second opinion doc.  He's doing the robotic surgery so I'll only have to spend one night in the hospital (hopefully).  And...he recommended taking the ovaries out, so instapause, here I come!  So happy the decision is made.  

2012, can't wait to see ya!

Best,

Steph 

• revmama5
    revmama5 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    Options

Saying a prayer for you Kate!!! Blessings.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited November 2011
    Options

Irw....great news on the Slammo!  I bet that was a huge relief for you!

Gigi...I had confusing blood test results Monday so am waiting to hear back from my doctor after repeat blood work yesterday.  Grrrrrr.  On Monday I went in for all my blood work and found out my potassium in high.  They doctor asked me to come back Tuesday to repeat the test to see if it is a fluke or a problem.  I had an appointment with im yesterday and I talked to him about other issues I am having.  Terrible neck pain and headaches (chronic) plus insomnia, chronic as well but worse lately.  Can the Arimidex be contributing?  Not sure.  My cholesterol was down a little, so that was good news but the potassium could be a worry.  He said it was high enough to be dangerous.  Great.  Since I had half of my thyroid removed, he also ordered a thyroid panel.  So now I am waiting.  He is sending me to PT for my neck.  I have to go to see the Behavioral Therapist about my insomnia.  I don't know how that will help but I will go.  Dealing with cancer, thyroid issues, no work for a year and a half and struggling to live on DH's small SS every month, having to move here for his health and away from what family I have..gee, wonder why my mind races all night?  I am honestly scared.  And frustrated.  This area is so economically depressed it is horrible. 

WOW sorry for the rant.  I know you all understand.  I rarely ever let it out.  Whew! 

Steph....my hysterectomy was many years ago but a piece of cake.  I had the full incision and four days later I was on the hood of our pickup trying to jump start my son's car.  My mom was an RN. and she flew out to "take care of me" and I drove her NUTS!  Bless her heart!  I had very little pain and tons of energy.  However physically back then (15 years ago) I walked several miles a day and was very fit.  Anyway, just want you to know it can be a very easy recovery.  I wouldn't recommend crawling into the engine of a pickup truck though!  I'll be here Step waiting to see how it all goes for you.  Many, many healing hugs will be headed your way!

Thanks for letting me vent.  I love you my friends!

HUGS!!!!!!

• revmama5
    revmama5 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    Options

Hey ladies;

I haven't been on for awhile. Trying to get my life back slowly. Finished rads on Nov 4 burned pretty bad, but I'm healing well. My aunt came to visit and suppport me for the last 2 weeks of rads. we had a lot of shopping daily. I have missed you all, I don't see my MO until Feb 2012, I see the RO in 2 weeks. I'm ready to get rid of him for good.I spent Thansksgiving with my family and the rest of the day on the road back to FL.I got up at 1am to Black Friday shop on base, I sopped on Saturday as well. Resting this week and geting my dental exam ,and 3 month check with my primary out of the way.  Hoep you ladies had a good Thanksgiving. Sending love to all of you.

• katehudson25
    edited December 2011
    Options

Irw I am so happy for you. You deserve good news. My 1st mammogram after surgery is in February. Thank you for the well wishes regarding my surgery.

• katehudson25
    edited December 2011
    Options

Hi StephN, so sorry that you need surgery I will be praying for your speedy recovery.

• tamcathtech
    tamcathtech Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2011
    Options

Hi all!! Took a few weeks off from the posts, back to work and am now 5 weeks post rads. Skin healed great! Hard to believe all the pain and burning has resolved so well. Started the Zoladex injections and Femara pill 4 weeks ago, with no major SE so far. Occ hot flashes but not every day and they are short lived so far!!

6 month post op mammo is TOMORROW ALREADY!!! Praying for good results!!

Steph, I totally agreee with your "cant wait for 2012"!!! So tired of this year...the craziness hasnt stopped yet, my father-in-law passed away unexpectedly 2 weeks ago........my car accident 4 weeks ago.....rads, breast inflammation, surgery, breast cancer dx in June,. separation from hubby in May(still on great friend terms just not living together right now...that part of life is on hold!!)......back in feb torn ligament in knee....   I think I've mastered most crazy life experiences this year!

Take care and praying for all you girls even if i'm not posting regularly~~

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited December 2011
    Options

Kate...thinking of you and I hope everything goes well with your surgery next week.  I hope you have a very speedy recovery!

Tam....I have been awful about posting too.  It was good to see you and I am thrilled that you are healing well.  I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your FIL.  Big healing hugs headed your way!  I hope you post and update more often! 

Revmama how nice you had your aunt to come out and lend a hand.  How sweet of her to come and help.  I burned badly too so I understand.   Glad you are much better!

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited December 2011
    Options

Tam, I am so sorry about the loss of your FIL.  You have had an incredibly awful year.  I wish you smooth sailing from now on.  Like you, I am ready to say good-bye to 2011.

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited December 2011
    Options

I saw my MO this morning for a three-month check up and everything went well, thank God.  I know this sounds strange considering how fortunate I have been, but I asked him about getting my rads tattoos removed.  He said in 15 years of oncology practice, no one had ever asked him about that before.  Once he realized how much they bothered me and how they reminded me of a very sad time, he agreed they should go.  Like he said, quality of life is important.  I will see a dermatologist after the holidays.

Wishing everyone a happy and safe December.  All of us have just about survived a very bad year.  Time to pat ourselves on the back! 

• MamaV
    MamaV Member Posts: 373
    edited December 2011
    Options

Elizabeth I can't believe you are the first one to want them gone!  I insisted on sharpie marks with stickers for the same reason!  Good luck!

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited December 2011
    Options

Hi everyone

Just checking in here. For those of you just getting done, take heart I have an inch of hair 4 months after chemo and so will you soon. Messy and hard to manage but I'll take it.

• katehudson25
    edited December 2011
    Options

Tam I am so sorry about the death of your father-in-law.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited December 2011
    Options

Elizabeth I have had the same exact thoughts.

• katehudson25
    edited December 2011
    Options

I got the results of my back mri today. I have degenerative disc problems. I don't want surgery, so I am going to try physical therapy about 6 weeks after my surgery Dec, 7.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited December 2011
    Options

Good luck Kate, I hope that the pt does the trick for you.

• katehudson25
    edited December 2011
    Options

Thank you Sab

• tamcathtech
    tamcathtech Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2011
    Options

Janis, Kate, and Elizabeth, thank you for your sympathy!! Kate, hoping things go smoothly with your surgery and pt for your back!

My six month post op mammo was all clear!!! Got my second Zoladex injection today, not as painful this time around!

• katehudson25
    edited December 2011
    Options

I am glad that the 6 month mammo was good for all that took it. Thank you tamtechchech for the good wishes

• Merilee
    edited December 2011
    Options

Awesome to hear of all the 3 and 6 month check ups going well!

Kate, I love going to PT, it has helped me so much and I always feel great when I leave there.

• Merilee
    edited December 2011
    Options

Oh  I wanted to say, that I had thoughts of having my tats removed while I was getting them, but honestly I cant even see them now they are so tiny. I think they went tiny because I told them I did not want them at all.  I am far sighted however LOL, never thought of that as a blessing before but I guess I can view it that way ( forgive the pun)

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited December 2011
    Options

Tam sorry about your loss. Congratulations on the clear mammo. I know how happy that makes you.  Kate Hugs and Prayers. I can see my tats too. I must admit with everything else going on I have not had time to think about them. Oh well, maybe someday. I have my disability hearing  today. Can I just say I am a nervous wreck. LOL I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend...