Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited April 2013

Hi Joan,

Thank you so much for trying with shutterfly. Because of my medical issues I don't have the patience right now. If you figure it out please let me know. There was someone on here last year that helped me, but I forgot who it is. Thanks, Kate

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited April 2013

Favorite protein bars?  Pure Protein Caramel Surprise.  It's like a candy bar.  Yum.  Also the Detour Bars, with "lower" sugar.  Both brands only have 1-3 grams of sugar. I don't have it front of me now (or I would be eating it) but I think that they have 20 grams/15 grams of protein respectively.  210/170 calories though...oh well you can't have everything.

Kete, do you have a facebook page?  Sometimes I upload photos there, and make them private (viewable only to me) and that provides a web address to use here on this site.  Also, mods might be able to help!

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Sab,

I do have facebook, and I download photos that only friends can see. I will try and see if that will work. Here they ask for the url dimensions etc. thanks for letting me know

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Sab I just went to facebook and couldn't find the address or the dimensions

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Good luck today Janis I will be in your pocket.  I can't bake, but I will supply Chardonnay and Merlot

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2013

Kate, thank you.  The wine will be perfect!  It looks like a busy day for both of us.  I hope you get the answers from your MO today.  How is the leg swelling this morning?  I'll be with you in spirit!

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Janis,

My appointment is at 10:20 pt. What time is yourS? Murphy's law ,my leg is about fine today, barely any swelling, and I even quit taking hydrochorazide the bp water pill. Even though he won't see much swelling I hope he can figure out what has caused it. I will be with you too. My guess is is that I will be finished before you. I forgot where you live, but aren't you on Eastern time. 10:20 my time is 1:20 Eastern time

• justmejanis
    edited April 2013

Kate I live near Boise Idaho and am on Mountain Time.  So just an hour ahead of you.  My appointment is at 1:00.  We can probably compare notes later.  I am glad the swelling is gone but he may know what is causing it.  We'll be stuffed by this afternoon with two parties!  I'll have to take it easy on the wine though.  I don't want to show up at my MO's office tipsy!  :)

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Janis. lol about being tipsy at your MO's office. I think my mo thinks I am tipsy when I am sober lol. So 1 your time is 12 my time, and my appointment should be ending about that time. So I'll start pouring chardonnay and merlot, and of course save you some when you come out of you appointment, celebrating that the lump is nothing. Who is making the cakeballs since you will be tied up. Well whoever makes them no chocolate for me, lemon would be great. When I finish my appointment I will be thinking about you, and praying that all is well. Hugs, Kate 

• SAB
    edited April 2013

Will be present at all pocket parties, even if it means time travel!

At home this morning, cleaning and tending to paperwork...but my treadmill is beckoning (it must have had a conversation with my breakfast muffin.)  

Kate, if you want to try the photos again when you get home:  You don't need dimensions, etc.  Just try to paste the photo web address in and the rest should be automatic.

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Sab,

I could not find the photo web address.. Have you ever posted a photo from facebook on here?

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited April 2013

Kate & Janis

(((Squeeze))) we're all in your pockets! And we have a busy day!

Speed zappin with April in CT double the fun and then zippin to be with Janis in ID and pow with Kate in CA! We are good...must be all those cake balls and wine:))

Fingers&toes crossed plus some sugar and spice and honey!

Happy Wednesday!

Cindy

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited April 2013

Hi Kate -- sorry about your leg swelling. I can imagine how frustrating it is for the swelling to not present on the day you have a doctor look at it! If it does happen again (god forbid), maybe take a photo of your leg to show the doctor? I'm sure he believes you but it might be helpful to show the extent of the swelling. Good luck!

• SAB
    edited April 2013

Open photo in facebook.

Right click.

Choose copy image address.

open photo icon on bc page.

paste address into top line.

click on insert.

And....

Good luck!

• justmejanis
    edited April 2013

SAB....you are stunning.  What a beautiful photo!  Thanks for hopping in my pocket.  Leaving for my appointment in just a couple minutes.

Kate, I hope you got some answers at your appointment.  I know you will keep us posted.  Sending tons of happy thoughts your way.  Oh i already made cakesballs, lemon included.  I am ready for that wine!  :)

• SAB
    edited April 2013

You're a sweetie Janis.  Keep us posted, eh?  You too Kate.

Haven't forgotten about you April!  Are you glowing in the dark yet?  Hang in there!

Who else is finishing this week?

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2013

Sab, you're looking good girl!  And that's a mighty big hill to have climbed even if it's not the one requiring the marine ropes Wink

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited April 2013

Josie, I am a day late but...

• lemon68
    edited April 2013

Janis and Kate- Hope your appointments went well today. Kate that you got all the info you and need and all questions answered. Janis that the lump is nothing to worry about, thinking of you.

SAB- I love your pic, beautiful.

Cindy- how many boosts? Your radiant by now!! I think your techs are going to miss seeing you daily but your girl is going to be happy to be off. Sounds like many of us will start Tami at the same time. I am to begin on May 8th but I am waiting for AmyinMI who starts May 10th.. good excuse for me to continue to put it off.

Josie are you taking tamoxifen?

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

I had some good news today and some bad, and some middle of the road. He thinks the cancer is pressing on my leg veins and he thinks it will resolve with chemo. Also good is he thinks i will live at least two years, but he would not commit to 5. Bad news is that 3 to 4 days following the week I have a 5 hour chemo treatment I will be nauseous even with anti-nausea drugs. I only have the 5 hour treatment once a month, and the first one is Monday. On the second and third Mondays of the month my treatment is only 1 hour, and I have the 4th Monday off. So when I have the 5 hour treatment this Monday I will be nauseous Tues. Wed. Thurs. Fri. Nausea is a major problem for me, and I doubt that I will be able to eat a thing for those four days. if I am able to keep any food down it will be saltine crackers only. Also, I won't be able to leave the house for 4 days, because I will be afraid I will vomit in public. All this is a big problem for me, because I live alone.

Cindy, Gemini, and Lemon thank you so much for your support

Sab thank you also for your support, and I love your photo. You are darling. Thank you also regarding the info of how to post a photo. I am too tired to try it today, but I will try it as soon as I can.

Janis I am thinking of you, and pray the lump is nothing.

Hugs,

Kate

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited April 2013

Hi y'all

Happy Wednesday! It's hump day yippe:)) I've got warm fully loaded oatmeal cookies just out of the oven...yumm. DH is tired of no sugary sweets so today warm cookies:)

SAB - beautiful pic what a beauty! What a climb! CA is a beautiful state...grew up in OC sailing&surfing&winsurfing...luv the water.

Janis & Kate - pocket party is rockin but the troops are gettin restless better join us soon for some wine! Best Wishes...praying for the best.

Lemon - luv Betty Boob ha! Must be feeling better...we can all take our tami together:)

Yes I'm radiant...3 more boosts! Yippee:)) jumpin 4 joy! Skin hang in there...

Josie - still radiating? Hope you are resting...pinch yourself you've made it through the dark side warrior!

April - more than half way...speed zappin...our heroine:))

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited April 2013

60% DONE ladies! Wahoo. Today I felt better. I had 8 hours of sleep last night for the first time in forever. My appetite is back big time. That was the first clue that I was feeling better...burp!

Kate, so very sorry about your news about the nausea. As for the "how long you will live" part, the only one who is able to give you an "expiration date" with any certainty is God. So, do NOT let this throw you. There are many people on the Stage IV boards who have lived MUCH longer than they were told they would. Also, every single day new trmts are coming out and one of those just might do the trick for you! As for living alone, before Monday comes, make sure you have everything you will need for next week before hand. Feel better and hoping the chemo gets rid of your leg issues!

Sab - you are beautiful!

Sew, you are a wonderful mother hen. I love that you give motherly and loving advice to all of us rads girls. Sometimes I even listen..just like I did when I was young and my real Mom told me to do stuff...sometimes. HA!

Gemini, how is the tamoxifen going so far?

Cindy, I am hangin in there and I do have some protein bars and today I had an appetite..actually, I haven't stopped eating since I came home today..lol You are a real short-timer now. You will be done on Monday, right?

Janis, hoping that your doctor's appt went well today! I am in your pocket along with the rest of this motley crew and of course since you supplied the cake balls, we are supplying the libations.

Joan, nothing made me more nutso when I was in school and a book was 200 bucks. I went in the 1990's and books were expensive even back then!

Josie, how was your first few days of freedom? YAY!

Lemon, hoping things are a little better for you now that a little time has come and gone.

Sorry if I left anyone out..gonna have dinner and hit the couch!

• justmejanis
    edited April 2013

Kate April is so right.  We don't have expiration dates.  Your positive attitude will help a lot.  Also, please try not to worry too much about the nausea.  It may not be as severe as you think nor last as along.  I have a friend who is Stage 4 and is on some seriously nasty chemo once a week.  Her nausea has been minimal and the anti nausea meds help.  It is different for everyone and hopefully won't be a huge issue for you.  Ginger is excellent for nausea.  Maybe you can pick up some Ginger Ale and Gingersnaps before you go.  :)

I was so happy to see this Nurse Practitioner today.  Her name is Holly and she was so nice and so thorough.  She asked a ton of questions before examining me.  She did tell me she wants me to stop the Arimidex for now.  Not sure how long, but she said if the joint issues improve they will switch me to another AI.  As far as the lump she couldn't tell but thinks scar tissue is possible.  She ordered a breast ultrasound as well as a diagnostic mammogram.  Also a DEXA scan due to my arm fractures and joint pain.  I go to have all three of the tests Friday in one place.  Easy button!  I will know the results sometimes next week, probably Tuesday.  They scheduled a follow up appointment for Thursday, but the nurse said I can call Tuesday and get the results over  the phone.  Oh, she noted my BP has been pretty low my last three visits. Today it was 96/62.  Beats high BP for sure.  She told me to start taking calcium supplements which I keep forgetting to pick up. 

Thank you everyone for coming along to support me.  I felt the love!  It is always fun partying with you ladies!   

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi April,

So glad you are 60%% done, and also very happy to hear that you ate, and slept well.

Hugs, Kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Janis,

Glad to hear that she thinks scar tissue is the issue, but glad to hear you will be getting a mamo to get an all clear. I will pray that all your tests on Friday will be negative.

Glad to hear that your frineds nausea is minimal Thank you for your support

Hugs, Kate

• lemon68
    edited April 2013

April- so glad to hear you are feeling better today!! Good news and a good sign, almost done! Wow!! Rest and enjoy your evening.

Janis- Nice that you can have one stop poking and prodding on Friday, all at once in one place.

Kate- My first thought on what you have to do is UGH.. and a big sigh BUT you can do this, I know you can. Dont worry too much about the nausea I think when we do that (and we all do) we cause it to happen sometimes. As for the expiration date.. prove them wrong! I have a friend they gave her DH 6 months, 12 years ago!!! He loves to let them know he is here alive and well and loving everyday! Do not let your mind cross over to the dark side. You enjoy going to the donut shop and seeing your friend, keep going! You might feel like crap some days you are allowed to feel badly but when you feel okay get back out there, visiting is good for the soul and it will re-engerize you. All of this is easy for me to say to you, its not me. I am sorry Kate I am sorry that you have to go though this, it is not fair you already had your turn. Stay Strong, we are all here. XO

Cindy- pass me one of those cookies..mmm my favorite. You are almost done!! And My Dear you do look radiant! XOXO your high energy and good attitude has been so welcoming to see everyday, Thank you

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Lemon,

Such a dear sweet post. thank you so much.

Besides you someone else talked about the expiration date and proving them wrong, and I love it. I am very competitive, and like to win, so proving them wrong  is perfect. You are so right about  not letting my mind cross to the dark side. 90% or so I stay positive, but if I am tired like today I slip a little. Your post has made me feel positive once again. I will force myself to go out. If I stay in too much there is too much time on my hands to think about my health. If I go out I talk about my friend's lives etc. and it is so much more fun and healthier than thinking about my problems. Its not all that easy for you to say, because you've had your share. You've said it perfectly, and I have tears in my eyes, because you've made me feel positive again, and because you are here for me, and my other breast cancer sisters too. I can't thank you enough for making me feel so good with your wonderful post. You truly are a sweetheart, and hopefully I can make you and my other bc sister proud by staying strong and kicking cancer in the butt( with a little help from my friends like you) xoxo, Kate

• SAB
    edited April 2013

Kate, I hope you are reading everyone's posts today because they are right.  Do not allow someone to put a date on you.  You are strong and positive, and well loved and that counts for a lot. Don't anticipate that you will be very sick, except to bring some gingery treats with you.  In fact, that's what I will bring to your pocket party--ginger candy. You know I care about you if I break my no sugar rule for you!

Janis, I'm happy that you had such a thorough exam, and that all your tests are in one place.  It is hard to wait for results, but as a lumpy, bumpy scarred sister myself I think the NP could be right about scar tissue.  We will wait with ya.

April, wow your treatment is flying by.  Of course it probably doesn't seem that way to you.  Two more days!

Cindy, I've been to Rancho Mirage.  A friend of mine had grandparents there and when I lived in Los Angeles we visited them, and lunched at "the club."  Will you move back one day?  It's very nice.

Lemon, Gemini, Josie, Who's starting Tamoxifen now?

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Sab,

Another sweet post from you. I have read the posts and you are right. I will prove them wrong about a date. You are right too, about not anticipating being sick. I am a little tired today, and I let a little negativity in. I am strong, and i am positive, and I am well loved by family, friends, and wonderful bc sisters like you. Honestly I am so touched by your post and several others that I have tears in my eyes of joy, because of how my bc sisters care. You all have your own health issues, and how wonderful that my fantstic bc sisters send me wonderful posts, build my spirit, and fill me up with positive thinking, and I can't thank you, and my other bc sisters enough. I definitely know that if you break your no sugar rule for me that you really care. You are a sweetheart, and mean so much to me. xoxo,

Kate

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited April 2013

Hi Kate...I know you have bladder cancer but why is there even talk about how long you will live? Good grief isnt that a bit over the top? I echo what everyone else said about expiration dates. We all know someone who was told they would die by a certain date and not only did they not pass away then they lived a lot longer. My father was told he had kidney cancer and the outlook was grim...he didnt have kidney cancer and lived another 15 years. I think that is borderline unethical for a dr to even give an opinion about longevity and while I understand they have to deliver dire news to patients from time to time those times should be cases when their system shuts down. You are a strong and courageous lady and you will prove them wrong.  Keep the faith; you are in my prayers. diane