Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

Hi Suzannah, So sweet of you to give me continual support and so sweet to say you hate to see me suffer. You are a doll.

Brookside you are so bright. I think you've sized up Bunkie's situation. Guess what, doc is referring me to a lymph therapist. It is thanks to you that I mentioned it to him. Myabe it will help me get some relief.

Gigil I am thinking about you, and praying dad is feeling better.

xoxo,

Kate

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Gigi If you love Japanese food, I'm bringing Saki to the pocket party!

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2013

Sab and gigil, count me in.....SAKI......  If there's Saki, why would a girl stay home?

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Sab and Sew, ok if Gigil loves Japanese food I will bring the sushi!

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2013

Brookside - Thank you so much for the info. I got up this morning and was still a shaky girl so I called my handyman to see what product he used in my basement. He gave me the name and I called the company. It is basically an outside product that can be used inside but with a lot of ventilation for the first 24 hours. That was the first mistake. The window is open down there but no fans moving the air around. So it is all in that room and escaping upstairs. They said it takes about 2 weeks to cure so I am having him come by everyday starting tomorrow and use a fan etc to help it cure. Next I called a green living company I have used before and they said that there may be a non toxic sealant to use down there to cover it once it cures. That would help. So I am feeling better about this and there will be no more products used in my house that are not green certified.

The vertigo is at its worst right now. I think it is a combo of pollen season and this toxic stuff in my basement. If I open the doors and windows in my home I have severe pollen issues. If I don't I have toxins. Haha...I know how to have a crisis I tell you.

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

GiGil - I really hope your dad is better. It is hard. I know. Keep up your spirits. He will be fine.....I can feel it.

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Kate - Am feeling your Dr is not so concerned right now. Probably is your body reacting to the chemo/cancer. I know it is hard to stay inside but you might have to limit your time out for awhile. I hate that you are uncomfortable but hopefully it will not be for long. Do you have a patio?maybe you could go out there and prop up your feet on a chair with pillows. That way your friends could come by and see you.

I know what you mean about Drs scheduling appts out. My Sarcoidosis Dr in Ann Arbor just called to reschedule my appt with him from June to August. Fortunately he has an on line service like yours and I can get to him if I have to.

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Sab - It seems like I do drink all the time but maybe not enough. Too much water makes my stomach rumble so I try to space it out. If I pinch my finger tip and it does not pop back in place I know I am low and drink more. Yesterday when I got home I was a bit low so I drank all day. I felt water logged but last night I was pumped up. Trying again today. Thanks for your input.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2013

Bunkie, so glad you found a solution!  My vote is for open windows and pollen over closed windows and toxins--fresh air smells so much better!

Kate, shortness of breath after a couple of steps is a medical emergency, not la-de-dah side effect of lymphedema.  When that happens again, would you please get your little legs, your lungs, your heart, your mani-pedi, and your whatever else, right over to the ER?  If you tell them you have shortness of breath and can only take a few steps without exhaustion, they will whisk you right in, and, as you will be right in the middle of whatever it is that happens, they will be able to figure out exactly what is going on. 

Your doctor cannot do this for you as he never sees you in the middle of one of these attacks.

Sorry, Kate and community, if I'm being pushy again.  I'll try to get back to work now.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Bunkie.

So sorry about your vertigo. So gald you are going to get your ventilation problem under control.

My doctor doesn't want me to stay in. He wants me to walk a minimum of a block( where donut shop is, mqybe a block and a half). He said if I don't use my leg muscles I will get worse. Thanks so much for your support

Feel better,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Brookside,

So happy you are pushy, and helping me to keep doc on his toes. He is referring me to a lymph therapist, thanks to you I asked him for one. I had never heard of it before. As for shortness of breath doc had me take a cat scan, of my chest, and it was normal, thank God. Just so you know when I walk I feel the shorness of breath after a few steps, carrying something like a light laptop, makes the shortness of breath worse. Immedediately when I sit down the shortness of breath goes away. Doc is ok with my shortness of breath after he ruled out dangerous possibilities. Thank you so much for your intelligent advice.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

I made an appointment with doc for May 29. His office just called me and asked if I could come at 10:40 this Monday, and I said yes, yes, yes. Yeah I will get help sooner!

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

Yay kate, glad your doctor found a spot for you!

Bunkie, it sounds scary, but it seems like your on the right track with your vertigo. Btw, my gi do tor told me to drink a minimum of 8 8ox glasses of fluids a day. I drink a lot of herbal tea, as I'm not a big water lover.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Sab,

Sending doc a photo of my legs was a very intelligent suggestion by you. Had an appointment for May 29, but his office called and asked if I could come this Monday. Never would have happened without the photo. You, Brookside, and others are helping me keep doc on his toes. Thank you.

xoxo,

Kate

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Kate, Would love to take credit but I think someone else mentioned it many pages ago!  In any case, without proof docs always think we are exaggerating, unless we are in the middle of crisis when we see them.  That's why the ER, while a pain in the rump, might be a good idea if anything happens this weekend (hope not.)  Meanwhile, I am so glad you got an early spot with him.

Bunkie, it sounds like that sealant might be the answer for you.  My SIL tore out her carpet and painted with low VOX paint because she believes we are doing a lot of harm to ourselves through our environment.  I have started wearing gloves when cleaning, and have increasingly turned towards green products as my old stuff is used up. By the way, I love that pinch test for hydration!  Will use it.

Susannah, are you drinking green tea?

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Sab,

I thought it was you who was the first to mention take a photo of mY legs and email to doc. Credo's to the first bc sister that mentioned it. Who are you? You are exactly right that doctors do think we are exaggerating when we have a crisis, and the photo proved to doc that oh no I was not exaggerating. I swear my right foot and leg looked double the size of the left.  I pray for no ER, but if need be I will go. Doc's thinking is this, regarding the swelling, that it would be much worse now if I weren't taking chemo. He also says that only 3 treatments are too early to have a major response from chemo. He also thinks that after more treatments the swelling will come down. He is hoping by the end of June, but it could take a little longer. As long as it goes away sometime I am ok with that. I could not live with it like this.

Even though you weren't the first to suggest a photo, you are one smart cookie too. Have a nice weekend.

xoxo,

Kate

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited May 2013

Gigi- Sorry to hear about your dad, hope that he is better as of today. Sounded nice you got to go out with the girls. Thinking of you..

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2013

Gigil I'm sorry to hear about your dad.I'll pray for him.

Kate I'm so happy your doc can see you Monday.Good for you!!

BUNKIE I'm sorry your still not feeling too well.

Open the Windows if you can and maybe try and not be inside too much.

SAB actually I am just hiding the walk not the run but still due my in activity lately I should at least try to start walking daily if I can.I just having felt like it lately.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Josie, thanks so much for your support

Gigil thinking about you, and hoping dad is doing better. Will start your japanese pocket party when you log on

hugs,

Kate

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

HI Ladies!!  Saki sounds wonderful.  I just got home from being with Dad all day.  He has had 2 1/2 units of blood and his color is much better, he was joking and ate dinner.  He has even been up to the bathroom a couple of times.  His doctor said he will probably need to be transfused every three months or so, and hopefully he will continue to tolerate the transfusions.  He could live a couple more years like this if all goes well.  He is hard of hearing, thankfully, so he didn't hear any time limits.  We don't want him thinking about that.  He is a guy who will feel great if the news is good, and terrible if any doubts are placed into his subconscious.  There is a lot to be said for the placebo effect.  Hopefully we have gotten him past this crisis, and he can maintain for awhile and enjoy his new apartment.  My sister from Boston, her husband and her daughter and son in law and 2 month old grandson are coming tomorrow.  She is not only my sister, but one of my two best friends.  The other is my other sister.  We have been close all of our lives, the three of us.  We have had our spats, but we have also been the biggest support each other has.  Thank you all for caring about my dad.  He is a sweet guy and he has been through so much lately.

Tomorrow is college graduation for my oldest grandchild.  We are having a dinner for her at an old time steakhouse - built in the 40's.  It should be a wonderful time.  They have a courtyard, where we will eat.  It has a stream where you can pick out your own fish and they will clean it and cook it for you.  It is a charming place.  Good times ahead.  I am trying to replenish my energy for that.  Now, where did I put my vitamins?

Kate, glad you have an appointment on Monday.  Meanwhile hoping for a quiet restful weekend for you with pleasant company when you want it.  BUNKIE, I have my balcony door open and the cool air is streaming in.  It rained all day, so hopefully the air is clean for a little while.  I am glad you are finding solutions to your toxic air situation.  The exhaust fan sounds like a great idea.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

And sushi!!  Yum!!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Gigil I just bought the sushi enjoy! I am so glad you dad is doing better. I am also glad that sister and family are coming there.

Congrats!  Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy granddaughter's graduation. OMG you so much deserve to have a good time. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Hugs,

Kate

• josie123
    edited May 2013

Does anyone know how to get pics saved in your kindle favorites in this thread?

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

GiGi, so glad to hear that your dad is doing better and tolerating his infusions. You are blessed with a rich family life, having two close sisters, and a family that sticks together.

In the midst of all the turmoil there room for joy in your grandchild's graduation-so nice to read your post.

• josie123
    edited May 2013

Who was it a while back that said they used the pinch test on their fingertips? Is it really accurate for finding out if your truelly dehydrated?I tried it and my skin still stays dented for maybe longer than it should.I know I've been trying to drink enough but also that breast pain I had during Rads has come back and the Breast seems a little swollen and warm.

I've been pretty thirsty in the evenings.

I havent had the fatigue much though.I took the dog for a walk again last night but didn't do a thing when I got home but sit.My body was just telling me to sit but my mind was saying clean the living room.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

I just have to share something I figured out in the past several days. After all of the antibiotics I took this winter for UTI, I have been enduring almost constant vaginal pain and dryness. I even went to a urologist because I worried about bladder prolapse. She examined me thoroughly and diagnosed a moderately prolapsed bladder, but nothing else out of the ordinary. The vaginal discomfort was there, almost to the point of distraction.

I ran across something online that suggested that the pain there and in the rest of my body might be caused by leaky gut syndrome. When the antibiotic kills off the bad bacteria, it also kills off the good bacteria in your stomach and intestines. That good bacteria lines your digestive tract and keeps impurities from seeping out through the walls. I tried one probiotic brand which seemed to cause stomach cramping. A friend recommended Culturelle in the yellow box. I have taken it for 10 days. Vaginal dryness and discomfort are gone, heartburn and stomach pain are gone, and anxiety is a lot better. I feel like myself again! My energy level is better than it has been in years. I am so grateful to have discovered this. Thought I would pass it along, since leaky gut can cause dizziness and all kinds of symptoms. Google leaky gut and check it out. I am amazed! I could do a commercial for this stuff!

• gigil
    edited May 2013
  • katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Gigil,

So glad you are feeling better. I hope your dad is feeling better today too. Is your granddaughter's graduation today? If so enjoy!

xoxo,

Kate 

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Graduation is today Kate. You inspired me to buy a beautiful outfit - Palazzo pants - crepey and bright floral and a hot pink gauzy short sleeve shirt to be worn with some metallic sandals. I am going to feel good in that outfit and be comfy as well. I also bought a red bandana skirt to wear with a white eyelet lace top that I have had forever. I will be styling this summer! Thanks Kate for inspiring the girlie girl in me. She has been hiding away for quite some time. xoxo

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Thank you all for prayers for my dad. They transfused three unit's of blood and he is feeling much improved. Thank goodness. He can have a wonderful week of visiting family. . Blood transfusions don't always go so smoothly, so I know the prayers helped

.!