Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2013

Hey Josie

Happy Grad-Day! Luv the heels:). Hope you get answers on eye and your physical is gr8!

Thinking of you with all the storms in the heartland :(.

We need the rain just not the excitement. Hail storm in March totaled our roof:( insurance adjuster comes tomorrow. Hope storms this week bring rain and no more damage.

Be safe!

Cindy

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2013

Good morning Kate,
    Were you mostly up all night?  It says you posted 4 hours ago which is early for you...
    Your condition is a priority and I agree with most of the suggestions...it should be possible to track the problem and hope for remedies.  It sounds like you are taking the day/week off from chemo.  This is a choice only you can make and present to your doc.  Hoping to hear a hopeful outcome at your appointment.
    Hi Janis, I have the same tender lumpy surgical area.  My healing was uneventul even after rads; but as the side shrunk down to normal size, the lumps and discomfort are more noticeable.  Trying to feel for a lump is a joke - I am a series of hard, tender lumps inside.  I trust the mammo and the many exams I get during the year.
    Gigil, what a beautiful photo of your family.  Graduation is a mountaintop moment.  When you described your 5 hour round trip, I remembered doing when DD went to school 5 hours away...but I was younger then!  You look great...hoping for a peaceful week ahead.
    I am visiting DS#2 and really enjoying the break from work between semesters. Turns out, my summer course is canceled...it will be great to have the time but not so great to lose the pay...
    Have a wonderful day.  I have nothing planned Smile

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

Hi Joan,

Taking a week off wasn't my choice. My doctor schedules my chemo the following way: once a week for all treatments week 1 five hour treatment. Week 2, 30 minute treatment. Week 3, 30 minute treatment, and week 4 off. So, every four weeks I will have one week off.

Glad you are visiting ds #2. Where does he live? I assume ds #1 is the one in Chicago

Even though you lose salary I think having some time off will be good for you. You definitely work too hard, and need a break

Love,

Kate 

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

Joan thank you. It was a perfect day and the culmination of four years of all kinds of hand holding and support - mostly emotional, but also financial.

Enjoy your visit with DS#2. Did you have to travel to get to him? The time off will hopefully be a nice break for you. What will you do with your summer? I am going to take a long car trip adventure with DD and her two children in August, before that, I may go The South Shore of Boston for an extended stay with my sister. A change of pace is always nice.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Gigil,

Your summer adventures with sister and DD sounds wonderful. Yes, you do need a change of pace. Cabin fever is not psychologically healthy. Please look into finding a great therapist you will be so happy you did.

Leaving for doc's office in 20 minutes Yeah to getting answers!

Love,

Kate

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Kate, glad you are seeing your MO today. Hoping for some answers for you,

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

Hi all, I have a somewhat tough week-leaving in a few minutes to have 2teeth extracted-I have terrible teeth- then on Friday I have my one year mamo and ultrasound. Not the worst things, but still a little anxiety provoking.

Kate, thinking of you all day, hoping for some resolution with your leg swelling. Please let us know what your MO says.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Suzannah,

So sorry about your teeth. I am in your pocket. Since having teeth extracted won't make it a fun day to have a pocket party we can make your pocket party tomorrow when you are feeling better. What is your favorite foods? Do you like wine? If so red or white? Take care today!

Love,

Kate

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2013

Well we have thunderstorm watch warnings so here we go with the wet again. Hoping the basement walls hold out. That is a constant worry.

I was doing good today with the toxic mess in my basement and had the house air set just fine. I had 3 windows half open so the fumes would not get me sick. About an hour ago I started to get a headache. Then I got dizzy so I sat down in my kitchen. Then my eye started twitching. I realized my neighbor was cutting his grass and I did not even notice. Had to close up everything for about an hour till that dries out. My allergies really do not grass being mowed. That is why I did so well in So. California. It is basically an asphalt jungle without too many yards that have a lot of grass. Plus palm trees and bird of paradise do not have pollen. Looks like I need to pack.Laughing

Kate - Hopefully you get some answers. I think you are at your appt right now so will post later. Your Dr sounds wonderful. I only had one bad dr in Ca but here quite a few. I am sure there may have been more but I never met them. I really miss my PCP there. She would call me all the time to check in. Sounds like yours. No wonder he is so popular. Let us know how you are. I did go get my hair washed today and fluffed. I was a girlie girl before I got sick.... seems like I let it all go then. I am coming back a bit though. I mentioned my mom was a diva. OMG she never went downstairs for breakfast without her face done.

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

SusannahW - Sorry about the teeth. Mine are getting bad too with the dry mouth I get at night. I use that bioteen but still wake up dry. I hope that gives you some relief. No fun. I used to be so afraid of the DDS I drove around his office for 10 minutes before I could go in.

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

Kate and bunkie, thank you for the sympathy, it helps! My favorite food is pizza, so pizza party tomorrow! I wish I could drink, but have stopped since my gerd issues. Right now am in a lot of pain, took a Vicodin.

Bunkie, I used to be terrified of the dentist-now, after so many procedures, it doesn't bother me too much. I hope the biotin helps your dry mouth-also, isn't chewing gum supposed to be helpful? I know dry moth can take a real toll on the teeth.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi,

I just came home from my MO appointment. As I mentioned previously I never asked my MO the hard questions. How aggressive is my cancer etc. etc. etc. I told him I didn't want bad news, so that I can stay positive. My daughter did call him and she knows the grade of my cancer etc. etc. etc. Well today I asked him a question that I shouldn't have, and got a bad news answer. The question was will my chemo DEFINITELY work and take away the swelling, and he said no not definitely.   I asked the percentage chance and he was hesitant to tell me. I asked if there was a better than 50% chance of it working, and he said yes. If the type of chemo I am talking does not work he said we would have to try a different kind of chemo first, and if that didn't work then clinical trials. OMG I don't even want to try a different kind of chemo if it means hair loss, let alone experiment with clinical trials. I so much wish I didn't ask him, because it is difficult to get the negative answer out of my head. I am going to call my therapist this evening so she can tell me what I can do if that negative thought persists. I know to jar my mind into thinking happy thoughts about my children, and grandchildren etc, etc, I just want other ideas from her.

As for lasix he said it will not work in my case, and the less medication the better. Lasix has a lot of side effects too. I hate taking meds, and I take as few as humanly possible. Nothing for pain except tylenol. Trasadone for sleep, and now 3 anti-nausea pills, and that's it. He said other than my swelling coming from malignant lymph nodes sitting on it, the rest of the answer regarding why no lasix is too medically involved to answer quickly today.

The scheduler at his office is arranging lymph massage for me. The question is will my insurance cover it.

He forgot to tell me what strength compression socks, so I just emailed him, so I can buy some.

There was one thing that is good news. I asked him if there was any possibility of having my bladder removed, and having a neo bladder, and he said there was a slight chance. OMG that is good news no matter how small the percentage. When we first discussed my cancer he said he thought it was surgically inoperable. If I could get a neo bladder I could live much longer.

Ok I just thought of another way to get rid of negative thoughts. I will think about getting a neo bladder instead of focusing on the type of chemo I am taking now won't relieve my leg swelling. I hate to ask, because so many of you have terrible medial problems too, but I need prayers that the type of chemo I am taking will work to relieve my leg, foot, and stomach swelling. I do not want to try a different kind of chemo or have clinical trials. I want the chemo I am taking now to work, and relieve the swelling. I know I have your support, and I can't even beging to tell you how much I appreciate it.

One thing that was kind of cute was I told doc that some of you told me a few questions to ask. I said they are helping me keep you on your toes, and he had a hugh grin.

Thanks so much for your help

Love,

Kate

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2013

Kate, wow, tough day, and so sorry you heard negative information.  This is such a mind game, all of it.  But since I've been following this thread, you have been acing the Advanced Class in Positivity.  Here is another test.  Of course you have your scared/angry/sad times, and you are as welcome as ever to vent all over us.  Yet you're already finding your positive angles.  QUITE LIKELY the first chemo will work.  It's certainly too soon to say it won't--he was just cautious about giving you any guarantees.  If not maybe a neobladder will.  Compression socks should help your swelling.  Lymph massage should help that too, and your insurance company will cover it--think positive unless you have a reason not to.  You keep pushing for what you need on all sides!  I love it that your doctor was receptive to the questions and the kibbitzing.  He sounds like a good guy.  You have so many powerful emotional resources to bring to this fight, and they are on display every single day. 

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

Kate, asRunFree said, most likely your current chemo will work.. Right now there is no reason to think otherwise. Let any negative thoughts flow past, or tie them up ans throw them in the ocean. If anyone can keep positive it's you.

You have all my prayers and positive thoughts right now. I know u can handle this.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Runfree,

First let me just tell you one negative thing, and the rest of this post will be positive. Without the swelling coming down I won't be able to have a neo bladder. ok got the negative info out of the way.

Did I ever tell you that I love you. The new thought in my head is that he is too cautious to guarantee that the swelling will come down. Nothing is certain in this lifetime except death and taxes.

So how do you know yiddish? You are right doc is a good guy, and he did love the kibbitzing.

When you told me that I have powerful emotional resources to bring this fight it brought tears to my eyes. I told doc I am not going down, because I am the unsinkable Molly Brown, and he loved it. You are so right I do have powerful emotional resources, and you are one of those resources. Having the support of you, and the other bc ladies means the world to me.

I can't thank you enough for bringing me back to all wonderful positive thoughts. How sweet of you to help me when you have medical issues too.

Love,

Kate

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2013

You certainly have my prayers, Kate.  I am sorry your doctor could not give you guarantees, but he does sound positive, and isn’t it good to know that he has more weapons still in reserve! I trust some of them are girly-girly hair-friendly. 

I am sure you know that whatever feelings you have are healthy and good, and you are very much entitled to feel them.  Negative thoughts are quite another thing.  A meditation from the Old Testament for when you need a lift:  The reason Moses and Jews wandered in the desert for so many years was that they were busy battling and conquering every barrier and every tribe and every challenge that tried to block them.  Like Moses, like Kate. 

• rmlulu
    edited May 2013

{{{Kate}}}

Yikers:( your MO is a good guy. Direct but caring. We'll pray that this chemo works and your swelling goes down. A neo-bladder would be great...one thing at a time. Cold caps help maintain hair during chemo. Did MO give you a plan for the holiday weekend?

You are a warrior...catch your breath stay focus on today! Dont get ahead of yourself no need to rehearse something that may never happen. Break some eggs...pound some play dough, squeeze butter, scream...it's a good thing. We know you will put your head down and rage on forward with a smile and heart screaming life:)))

Tonight's idol/voice...put your foot up and sing! We're in your pocket...cake party!!!

Much love

Cindy

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Kate. I completely agree with only dealing with current information. There is no indication right now that your current chemo won't work. You are resilient and the mind is very powerful in self healing. I believe very strongly in that. You seem to have the ability to focus strongly on the positive. If you can do that, you can think healing thoughts. Think of health and well being. Meditate on that.

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Ok I can nix the pity party for my basement. Kate you need us. I am of course upset with the news but I know we will all keep your spirits up. When I came to this site I was in a bad way. You all cheered me on. So here we are for you. I will even get my old pompoms out and do a cheer. If I fall it is your fault!!! All kidding aside I really think this will work for you and you do have options. You also have a super Dr and that means everything. I just said a prayer. I am going to eat a big ole oatmeal raisin cookie for you tonight and will be in your pocket all night.

Good you called your therapist.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Brookside,

My sweet, but pushy friend. Thank you so much for your support.Since 2 hours ago when I wrote that post I have been getting more and more positive, and thanks to you, runfree and others I will bring this fight. Runfree's words that he couldn't give an absolute guarantee is ever so present in my mind. As mentioned earlier there are no definite guarantees except death and taxes. So I will assume that he can almost guarantee. Besides you two, so far,( there are other posts to read) a neighbor of mine came to the donut shop and made me feel even more positive. She told me about a book by Andrew Weil, " Miracle Cures". Has anyone read it? It tell stories about people at death's door who got cured. I am a believer, so I know I will love this book. My neighbor's name is Mariah, and she told me people with blue eyes are stronger and more able to bring a fight. Of course I am blue eyed.

Tomorrow I am doing totally girlie-girl stuff. My hairdresser is coming over to color and a cut my hair. Over the years my hair has gotten a little thinner, and I do extensions every 3 months, and tomorrow is the day. The girl who puts in my extension is a delight. She is 26, and gorgeous inside and out. She has such an upbeat personality, and it is a joy to be around her. My hair will look so thick tomorrow, and I love it. I will see if they will take a photo and I will post it.

Thanks so much for your support, and you can be as pushy as you want around me I love pushy people and I love you

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Cindy,

Did I ever tell you that I love you too. I slipped today with a negative thought, because I forgot all about my magic coat. I have it on now, and it is making me feel positive, and feeling so much support.

My doctor is one of the most compassionate people I have met in my life, and you are right he is such a good guy. For the holiday weekend, wear compression stockings, stay positive, and don't go to the hospital ER.  If I need him he will email. He said hospital wouldn't even admit me, because I look too good lol.

Do not rehearse anything that will not happen. OMG great advice.

I am a warrior, and breaking some eggs sounds perfect lol. I usually like to keep things neat, but I will make a little mess tonight.

I will sing, and then I will dance during the DWTS finale. I will remain a warrior, and focus on today, thanks to you and others that support me.

Love,

Kate

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2013

Thanks Kate, I'm so glad my words were helpful to you!  You really are an unsinkable spirit. So great about your hairdresser coming over tomorrow!  You seem to have a knack for finding upbeat people and embracing activities that make you happy.  That book also sounds like a great one.  Andrew Weil is a smart guy.

I am not Jewish but my parents both picked up some handy Yiddish words in New York and we used them a lot in our house, and then my mom's second husband was Jewish. 

Susannah, I'm sending you good vibes for your dental work.  I'm glad to hear the dental fear has worn off for you.  I'm a dental phobe myself, once fainted at the dentist and ended up in the ER, but recently I've been thinking, Shoot, I've been through cancer!  Can't be any scarier than a lot of stuff I've done in the past few months.  I might just pop some ativan and go to the dentist.  (I know, doing it without ativan would be even braver, but no sense being rash!) 

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Kate I have read Andrew Weil and also Wayne Dyer. Both write about medical miracles that happen all of the time where cancer just disappears.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Susannah and Run great big dental phobe here too!

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

RunFree, by all means, take the Ativan, then go to the dentist. Facing this fear will make u feel better, and u will see it's not bad at all. There is little to no pain during dental procedures now. Fear won 't hurt you, and it will melt away as u face it. I used to be terrified, and avoided dental work for years., now it's pretty much nothing to me. U can do it!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Runfree,

Your words have helped me immensely. I must say I am surrounded by upbeat people that have been so wonderful to me, and you are one of those upbeat, wonderful persons. So cute that you know handy jewish words. I love it. Here is one you might not know, and it is my favorite Jewish word"meshugenah" It means crazy. I use the expression for someone who is nice, but maybe a little ecentric lol.

Love you,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Runfree,

It is me again. So glad you are going to take a risk and get over your dental phoebe. What I think helps, when you are getting dental work done, is for them to tell you every step, and let you know if it will be even be a little painful, before you get the work done. Teeth cleaning for instance is not painful so why have anxiety over it. If they say it will be even a little painful ask what they can give you so that you won't feel the pain. Tell them you get anxious at a dental office, and how can they help you get over your fear.

When somebody does any procedure on me I always ask if it will hurt, and what they can do to minimize it, and what I can do to minimize.

Hugs,

Kate

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2013

Wow I missed a lot while at work today.

Kate I'm sorry you didn't get great news today but you sound like your finding the positive in it.Good for you.Keep up the good vibes.

I had a good Dr appt today with my PCP he was very thorough and wanted to know how I was doing mentally as well as physically and did a breast exam and talked to me about how I m anemic a little and have been since Jan when they did my preoperative blood work.My Hbg was like 10 and should be like 12 or 14.

Why didn't anyone say anything before now?

I vaguely remember him saying it was a little low but didn't worry him.But my PCP was on it like Donkey Kong.I also got a DPT shot."ouch" no wonder those babies cry.Sore arm...He's going to do cholesterol and Glucose and all that fun stuff.Oh and he wants me to get a colonoscopy.Boo.....

Sorry now that you know my whole medical history .

I used to be a trooper at the dentist but have had so much dental work that I get pretty worked up every time I go.He's good though and knows me by now.Anyone that sits through getting 7 teeth pulled at one time and feeling half of it (that was me in Oct)

THE shots he has to use for me don't work as well but at least they don't make my heart race like lidocaine and epinephrine.

Susanna hope your extractions went well

Run free hope I didn't scare you.

• rmlulu
    edited May 2013

Josie - hope all these spring storms are not moving your way! So crazy:( graduation still on?

Colonoscopy is a breeze and a relief once done. Your PCP is sharp yeah. Good to know he's following your care.

I'm all for oral surgery my dentist teaches at Loma Linda, he's a one man show I luv him...pain free:) good luck.

Sleep well:)

Cindy

• gigil
    edited May 2013

I have had a ton of dental work.  One day I was in the dental chair for 8 hours getting crowns put on my front teeth. I had sunglasses on, because I hate that dental light.  And I had headphones on, listening to James Taylor.  It took a lot for me to get myself to that place. I have always hated to go to the dentist.  When I was a kid, I actually had a dentist hit me once, when I was terrified of the pain he was causing me.  I am again at a point where I fear the dentist and I need work done.  I have read about a link between root canals and breast cancer.  I have a ton of root canals and need a couple more.  I think I would rather have the teeth extracted and have bridgework or whatever.  I don't think I will be up for root canals again.  Now to get up the courage to make that appointment and also the appointment for follow up mammogram, and the colonoscopy.  First things first.  First the mammogram and a visit to a gynecologist.