Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Gigi, pretty in pink!  

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

Hi Gigil,

You look wonderfull, and so happy. I love your new outfit. Your granddaughter is gorgeous.

Thanks for telling me that sending your dad to ER got the ball rolling. In my case my doctor is one of the top 3 medical oncologists in Los Angeles, and I feel very secure with him. If I mention his name to another doctor they tell me he is the smartest and the finest. I asked my doctor about lasix, and he said it won't work in this case. Even though my doctor is extremely busy he answers emails every night except maybe Saturday. I think if I put emergency in the subtitle he would answer on Saturday. At my favorite hospital St Johns they would not have a medical oncologist as good as him. My new internist is one of the finest too. He is 25 years older than my medical oncologist who is 40. He told me that my doctor is the brightest that he knows, and that I am in the best hands.My swelling is cancer related, so I haven't discussed it with my new internist, because all of my cancer questions I ask my medical oncologist. I do have an appointment with my internist May 30, and I will see if he has anything additional to offer. As mentioned my doctor said that chemo will relieve my swelling, but it is too early for a major response. I've only had 3 treatments. I am hoping that after my July 1 treatment(  3rd time I will have had the 5 hour chemo treatment) that the swelling will be relieved. I am seeing doc tomorrow morning, and will get a prescription for compression stockings( I turned it down earlier, because I thought it would make me feel old lol, but now that I am in so much discomfort I will try them). I will also get a referral for a lymphedema therapist. I caught a cold today. Doc told me to wash my hands at least twice as much as normal to avoid colds, and I have done that, but today I have a runny nose and watery eyes, so I need to find out what he wants me to take for it.

I am so glad you had a good time at the graduation. Thank God you needed to have some fun with so very much on your plate

Love,

Kate

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2013

janis - Great minds think alike. I just called my shrink last week and will be seeing her Thursday. It has been almost 3 years since my mom died and I got her during that time. I have never tried meds except Valium and Ativan but I am open if she thinks I should do it.

GiGil - Really pretty picture. You look so happy!! I have got to learn how to post. My computer guru has been sick so could not stop by and help me.  

We have rain storms coming and I am nervous about the basement. Nothing like a Midwest summer. It will be a good test for the basement. I am going to have my handyman turn off the fan tomorrow and leave the windows open till we get past the storms. Then we can start again. I still smell it and the den is still off limits. Probably will be all summer. I am living on my bedrooms floor except for getting food or doing laundry. Old houses....ick. I have to get to Home Depot and get some ant bait for around the house. They are starting to get inside. I have old wrought iron windows that I love but need to replace. They do not seal well. I was looking at apartments on line here in Lansing and they are not cheap. Kind of dumb to get one when I have a house but I am tired of the maintenance.

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Kate - I will think of you tomorrow. I am going girlie girl and getting my hair washed at the shop. I am going to wear earrings too.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Oh Bunkie I am so happy that you are going girlie- girl tomorrow. Would love to see a photo after you get your hair done. Sorry you have rainstorms coming, and hoping your basement will be fine.

I am going to walk 2 blocks to CVS. I have a very runny nose and watery eyes. I emailed doc to see if Contact was ok to take, and he said yes. So I am off to get Contact. I guess my white blood cell count is low, which happens with chemo. It's easier to catch infection. I catch colds easily. Sometimes it is just about air conditioning, and I have been in and out of air conditioning all day.

xoxo,

Kate

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

GiGi-beautiful photo! I already knew you and your granddaughter are beautiful, butyourdhnismso handsome!

Kate, good luck with your appointment tomorrow!

Bunkie, my mom died a year and a half ago, then i got cancer. I see a therapist once a week, am slowly getting better. It's a hard road.

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

SusannahW - I hear ya. I was diagnosed with Sarcoidosis in 2003, my dad died in 03 also. I quit my job in 04 to come home and be with family. My step dad died in 08 and my mom is 2010. I got cancer in 2012. Maybe I should just move in with her. Good grief. I went once a week when mom passed. I was still getting over that when I got the cancer. I will probably be starting all over again.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Bunkie, I see a therapist once a week too. I have been doing it for 7 years now. My husband and I separated 7 years ago. Yes it is a hard road, but I am thriving now. She has been with me through the separation, through breast cancer, and now bladder cancer. I don't know what I would do without her. She has an open phone policy, and always calls me back. Now with bladder cancer she calls me at random times just to see how I am doing. Last night I called her crying, and she called me right back. Nothing, nothing, nothing, can make you feel better than therapy. She compares me to other cancer patients who are stage 4 and always makes me feel so good, because she thinks I am the most resilient. She helps me to be resilient. I highly recommend therapy for you.

Now from my cold I am running a low grade fever. OMG what is next. This too shall pass.

xoxo,

Kate

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

Bunkie, so much loss for you. My brother died in2006, still miss him. I think one of the hardest things is to go through cancer having just lost your mom. In your case, your whole life was pretty much turned upside down. I keep thinking my therapist will start giving me a discount!

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2013

Hi y'all

No place like home:)) bed is so comfy :) and it is quite...35 acres of nature...oaks wild flowers and deer. Girl is lookin good...got another week before HT:)

GiGil - beautiful pic...proud gm&gp! Luv the outfit!

Bunkie - hope you feel better soon! MI cherries soon yum!

Kate - yeah dr soon! Hope the leg is elevated ad less swollen.

Lemon - hope your feeling better and swelling going down...aleve helps, but still have 3rd boob on the side. Yeah, I'm thinking on doing the 1/2 pill to see....no SEs please!

SAB&Janis - what's cookin and where did you hike this weekend!

Josie - hope you are able to enjoy the new couch after walkin the dog and kids are behaving!

April - how's it goin? Short protocol a good thing?

Thinking hard ... Kids just invited me to Cancun to watch grandson...got to check my passport...hope it's updated and not in CA!

Good Night all (((hugs)))

Cindy

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2013

Just catching up--off the site since Wednesday and I read 6 pages of everybody's doings!  Kate, wow, what a drama with your leg.  I am glad you are being pushy (Brookside is a great coach!) because the situation definitely calls for it.  Use the ER if it helps.  I had this idea--what about asking your doctor about moving up your next chemo?  I know you were really looking forward to two weeks off, but if it can be done sooner, would that get you past this cancer vs. chemo battle sooner?  It may be that your body needs the two weeks off, but I thought I'd suggest the question.  I'd want to find out WHY a diuretic like Lasix wouldn't help you.  I thought that was a great idea.  I hope the appointment tomorrow is a game-changer and you get relief much sooner than late June.

Janis, so awfully sorry about Will.  I'm rooting for him along with so many here.  I'm glad they decided to try chemo.  They would have second-guessed it if they hadn't.  I am also still concerned about your knee.  Good news from the scope and thank you for saying how quick the procedure was, so I won't fear it if I need one sometime.

Cindy, Tracy, others with ongoing scar tissue, tightness, numbness, and swelling--have you tapped out the PT route?  I'm now getting 2x/week PT and it is really promising.  The therapist is working on my underarm tightness, shoulder range of motion, and both incisions.  I walk out of there feeling as though my whole upper quadrant has been rearranged.  Now I just have to get into the habit of doing the exercises....

Bunkie, the range of stuff you've been through and are going through now--too much!  I'm so glad you learned more about the glue and have a plan.

Gigi, that's one beautiful granddaughter, and you all look so happy!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Runfree,

The two weeks off of chemo is my doing.  I am having chemo 6/3.6/10/, and jun 6/17 with the week of June 24 off. My birthday is 6/25, and that is why I forced doc to change it. He was reluctant to change it, but when I told him my b-day is 6/25 he changed it. I would have a perfectly terrible b-day if I had a 5 hour treatment 6/ 24. I don't want to be nauseous for my birthday,.

Good idea on your part. If it wasn't my birthday I would change it.

Of course lasix would be the obvious answer for swelling, He said it wouldn't work in this case. I think I understand why, but now that you brought it up  will ask him. The reason for my swelling is that my malignant lymph nodes are pressing on my leg. lasix most likely won't change that. What will change it is killing off the malignant cancer cells with chemo.

Thanks so much for having me keep doc on his toes. I so much appreciate your support

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Cindy,

I hope you can go to Cancun and have fun. So much appreciate your support.

xoxo,

Kate

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

Kate, I thought Lasix too, because it works by draining fluid from your body. One would assume the swelling in your legs is backed up lymphatic fluid. I would ask again if Lasix would help. Hope that cold goes away quickly.

Thanks for the nice comments on the photo. I was a little self conscious about the sheer blouse and my rather chubby waist. However I decided with a granddaughter like that, who would be looking at the grandma anyway! I took my sunglasses off and I am a terrible squinted when there is a camera pointed at me, DH is 6'4" and looks pretty tall compared to my 5'2". Ashton is that short too, but she can wear heels. Oh to be 22!

Sunday dinner with family. I ate all sorts of things I don't normally eat. My tummy is not happy.

Bunkie hope you can post a pic. I need to see a pic of my twin.

I have thought about finding a good therapist. You all are convincing me it is a good idea. Now to find one, and a new MO since mine retired.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2013

Gigil great photo what a beautiful family.

Hope your tummy feels better soon.

My daughter is graduating from High school on May 28.

She went shopping with her grandma today and came back with a cute black and white dress and like 4 inch wedges.I tried them on and couldn't even walk in them.My 10yr old tried them on and walked around like a pro.

I wish someone could show me how to post pics on here.I ask a few pages ago for some tips but nobody responded .

We lost internet for a while because the routers overheated and need a break once in a while.I guess I'll get to bed since I had a busy day.I cut grass and watched my youngest daughter (10) cut grass.She does pretty good but it was hot today.

We should all sleep well tonight.

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200
    edited May 2013

josie, to post pics. one needs to move the pic to a site like filkr, shutterbug or FB. Then right click on pic and copy image url address. then come to bc.org and open the little tree icon (in task bar next to happy face) and paste address into the box. the size should show up as you click down. This is from a pc point of view. Medium size pics work best. I hope this helps. If not ask again. 

Following along, but not posting much. 

I have to get in touch with my MO tomorrow and find out which AI I will be trying next. boo hiss!

I am a year out from rads and surgery and I have only one hair that grows in that underarm. It is still numb. But my range of motion is almost back, but I did PT and am now doing yoga. I am having alot of trouble with my hands. They are very stiff, I can barely make a fist. Also my fingers go numb. I am still not working because I have to use tools and have strong hands to do the work I do. Oh well, it is all a process. 

I am thinking of you all and hope you find some joy somewhere today!

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Cindy I did hike 10.2 miles at Wilder Ranch State Park yesterday.  Today DH's heel hurt so I swam laps, which is fun cuz my lab swims back and forth with me! I wanted to mention to those of you who are having cording, or tightness that I noticed today how much swimming loosened up that whole underarm area.

Congrats on the upcoming graduation Josie.  We are expecting you to post pictures, so practice!  As Mac said, you have to generate an image address somehow.  I post "only me" photos on my Facebook, and get an image address that way.

My girl popped into town with her friend and we had a nice dinner out.  She's out on the town now, and I am baking (low sugar, multigrain) muffins for the girls to have in the morning Laughing

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Josie, if you have an Apple I can post instructions on how I figured out how to post pics. MIT is a little different than for a pc.

Thanks for the kind words about my family. We played a large part in raising our granddaughter. Her mom and my son divorced when she was four. We stayed close to her mom and filled in a lot while both of them worked through building their own lives. We bonded with her at an early age, and we've had her with us a lot. Last night we had a big extended family dinner with two grandmas, one grandpa, one step grandma, mom, dad, step-mom, step-dad and two very much younger brothers. Blended family and we have all learned to get along.

The wedge shoes sound like a challenge. Will she be able to master them?

• gigil
    edited May 2013

SAB what a nice mom you are, baking muffins for the girls to have in the morning. Love the pic of your lab!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Gigil, Thanks so much for your support. Finding a good therapist is the best thing you can do for yourself

Josie , Congratualtions on your daughter graduating high school. Figures that your 10 year-old can strut around in 4 inch heels and you can't. Love it that she is so girlie-girl

Macatacmy, Sorry that you are having so many problems with your hands.

Sab so glad that you were able to have dinner with your daughter

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Six hours and 20 minutes till my appointment with My MO today. Sometimes when you go to see your doc your symptoms are gone. No, that is not happening with me. My foot and leg are still very swollen today, and my cold is obvious too. I need answers today. My guess is that he will take a long weekend starting Fri. thru Monday, so I need to be covered, and not need anything then. I will post sometime after I see him. So many of you concerned about me, and I appreciate that.

xoxo,

Kate

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2013

Good morning, Kate.

I hope your cold is better.  I am so happy you will see your doctor today. 

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2013

I see what you mean about the long weekend. 

Would you please ask your doc to write down what he wants you to do if you have any new symptom? 

That way you will not have to worry about whether you should bother him when he is off.

I'll be with you today.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi my darling (pushy) Brookside. I say pushy with love because I am so glad you are. I am learning from you, and will be pushy indeed today.

My cold is better than yesterday. I am not as runny.

Thanks so much for your support,

xoxo,

Kate

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

Yes kate, brookside has a good idea about asking your md to write down directions. I think you should ask him a bunch of "what if" questions-like what if my leg swells even more, and I can't walk, or the pain grows severe, etc.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2013

Mac, Gigil,Sab, thanks for the tips I'll give it a try when I get home from work.

Sab wow!! Is that your pool ? I'M jealous that's one lucky dog too!!

Kate good luck at your doc's office today.I'm seeing my Internist for a physical or at least check up after Rads and everything.My appt is for 2pm today.I've had this eye problem since like Jan/Feb.

My eyelids are itchy and red and I notice I hardly have any lashes left.Not sure if it's some skin condition or what.They get kind of scaly(eyelids)

I know I should have been to the eye doc before now but no real pto hours left.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Brookside and Suzannah, Brookside great idea! Suzannah thanks for what if questions. I am going to question doc a lot today. Thanks for helping me keep him on his toes.

Josie, sorry you are having problems with your eyelids. So glad you will see your internist today.

xoxo,

Kate

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2013

Yes, Brookside and Susannah, right on.  So Kate, I say get the compression sleeves and the therapy of course as well.  And, when you meet with your doctor today, along with written instructions, I would also want to know:  at what point should I go to the ER?  What is the line that if the symptoms cross it, I definitely go to the ER?  It sounds as if your doctor is sympathetic, but more or less calling this a waiting game.  However, as Brookside says, not being able to walk or breath is serious stuff.  If you aren't functional, waiting can't be the only option.

About the calendar:  could you have your next 5-hour chemo this week, maybe even tomorrow, then the shorter ones each week, so that your birthday would fall in the second week off?  I don't remember all the dates so maybe this won't work--I am just saying maybe you and your doctor can take a fresh look at the timing to get farther along sooner.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2013

Kate - yeah, your appointment is just hours away! Go in there with your list of questions...make sure you have a game plan for the long holiday weekend...back-up plan!

Hope leg swelling, cold, and any other discomforts or issues you have are resolved. Take pics with you in case you receive a healing miracle this morning...ha!

Glad you rescheduled your chemo so you can be the BDay party princess:))). Need to enjoy our special day!

Healing thoughts rave warrior!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Runfree,

At what point ER is a fabulous question, and I will add to my list of a zillion questions.

As for having chemo tomorrow, I don't want to. I need the break. Even though my chemo symptoms are minimal I still feel the beginning of nausea. This week I almost threw up. I pop a pill and then I am better, but I don't want to tolerate any nausea this week. That's why doc want three weeks on and 1 week off. Everyone's body needs a rest. Evidently my white blood cell count is low, and that's why I have a cold, and chemo this week wouldn't help my cold. If I take next week with chemo then still my birthday would be the day after a 5 hour treatmnet, and after a 5 hour treatmnet my symptoms are worse. I want to party on my birthday, and not feel nausea. I understand where you are coming from. I so much appreciate you trying to help me. Just this one time I must have two weeks off, and never again. After this it will be 3 weeks on and 1 off.

so very much appreciate your support,

xoxo,

Kate