Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

Josie, glad your appointment went well today.  It must feel good to have a PCP who is looking after your health so carefully.  I was also anemic after rads.  It took about six months to build back up again completely.  My CBC was off for the first time in my life.  I was terribly worried, but it all came back to normal.  I did start taking vitamins and vitamin D at that time, however.  

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2013

Josie I have an adrenalin (epinephrine??) reaction with novocaine, have to use some alternative.  I was told years ago the alternative I can take is called "carbocaine," but people nowadays look puzzled when I say that.  I did fine with lidocaine epidurals for childbirth.  Not sure why I get speedy with novocaine.  Kate, thanks for the dental pep talk!  My dentist who made me faint in 2008 has retired, his successor has retired, and there's a new person at my local clinic, so I should give her a try.  I've had cleanings since, no drugs needed, but I'm postponing a bigger job the second dentist said I needed.  I'm sure I have a THICK file there and all the hygienists know I'm the person who cost them a bundle by ending up in the hospital when they just tried to fill a little tiny cavity with no anesthesia.  It appeared in the course of getting a crown put on--the dentist said, "Oops, didn't see that before, no need for pain relief, this is shallow and there's no way I'll hit a nerve."  You can picture what happened--of course he hit a nerve and down I went.  Woke up, tossed my lunch, felt a teensy little chest pain.  To ER, one funny blood value so admitted to cardiac ICU overnight.  Quite an overreaction, but the dentist knows I'm married to a lawyer so I guess he said "Give her the works!"  I never saw a bill.  I'm kind of surprised they let me keep going there, and they always treat me with kid gloves.  I first got the ativan to jolly myself into having the bigger dental job done, but the only time I've ever taken it was for my biopsy and MRI for BC (after signing all the consent forms).  Nice drug.

Susannah, thanks for your pep talk also.  I do think dental fear gets less when I go more often.  I broke a tooth once and wasn't scared at all to get it dealt with because I KNEW I needed it.  It's when I am secretly thinking "I don't really need to be here" that I have the most trouble.  When I lived in Boston, I went to a dentist who specialized in phobic patients.  He had patients who flew from Houston to see him!  He was definitely easier to take, but I've been to a lot of them and most are nice about it.

Kate, thanks, I know the word "meshuganeh" too!  It's another useful one.  Sometimes nothing but a choice Yiddish word will do.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

Hi Josie,

I am so happy that you had a good Dr's appointment. I agree with Cindy that it is a relief to have a colonoscopy done. Don't have to do it again for 10 years. Sorry your arm is sore from the shot.

I have had extensive dental work. I have 5 implants. Getting those done are not fun, but for the procedure itself my dentist put me to sleep. It's the next day, or so that is troublesome, because your mouth is swollen. I think I mentioned that I traveled from Santa Monica, Ca to Nashville, Tn to get them done. I trust my dentist and he gave me a good price. I was in a hotel with a swollen face lol. I would put a towel over my swelling to come down and get breakfast lol.

Gigil I agree root canals are the worst. I am sure there must be help online regarding pain control. I have a high level for pain, and that Is part of the reason I usually don't take pain meds.

xoxo,

Kate

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Kate, I don't take pain meds either.  I can take a lot of discomfort.  I think you have me beat though.  The time after the implants sounds like you are a tough cookie.  I would be much more fearful about that whole procedure and the after pain.  I would tolerate it though, because I don't like feeling weird.  Would you recommend implants?  Are they working out well for you?

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2013

Oh, my goodness--Dentists!  I am one who has to have an injection to get my teeth cleaned.  I'm also known to demand, "More juice!" in the middle of a procedure.  Nowadays, they always put epinephrine in with the anaesthetic and, of course, that makes my heart race.  When I had a root canal, the "recipe" he used made me shake all over.  They gave me, I think, Sweet and Lo, and it calmed everything down.  Weird!  My hairdresser used the same stuff (this time as an application) when a color formula made my scalp burn.  Magic stuff.  My dentist says I'm only average on the apprehension scale, and after reading y'all's posts, I guess we all are!

Last year I had a minor surgical procedure.  Almost always, it's under general anesthesia, but I wanted local.  A  nurse, a resident and a fellow, all said he could not anesthetise that area, but the doc thought he could.  He could.  I was fine, but the epinephrine in the loads and loads of local made my blood pressure spike (of course, I would never have known, but he had an anesthetist there and he tattled), so that's something else that stuff does.  By the way, it was really interesting to see the OR from the inside!  Afterwards, I asked why everyone thought I couldn't have just the local.  The surgeon said it takes a special patient.  Kate, I think he meant a meshugenah patient.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

Josie, I had a colonoscopy last month, not so bad. I was extremely apprehensive, and since my husband had to be away, for the prep a friend came over to keep me company, I'm that much of a baby. The next day my DH took me for the scope, it was really a non event. It's a good feeling to get the all clear.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2013

Ok I'm going to try this again.Last night I tried twice to reply but my kindle kept dying halfway through my post.I guess now since its charged it will be ok.

RunFree and Brookside you can ask for a shot w/o epinephrine.I always do.It's the same stuff just no epinephrine.

The dental work I was referring to was Nov 2012.

He pulled 7 of my upper teeth (all that was left)

And gave me a temp denture .I felt most of it because those shots w/o epinephrine are short working.I still having gone back to get permanent denture finished.

I didn't sleep well last night since I'm not a back sleeper and my left arm was killing me due to the tetanus shot.Right side not happening either since my poor radiated breast said no way your not sleeping on me.

Before this turns into a pity party I'll stop.Got to go to work.Have a good day everyone.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Gigil,

I would definitely recommend implants. I have a bridge which includes implants. The implants of course are crowned, and it is just like a regular tooth. All of mty teeth are crowned except for 4 on the bottom in the middle. mplants, of course are quite expensive, but well worth the money.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Brookside,

Love it that you used the yiddish word "meshugenah".

Josie, so sorry that you are not sleeping well, and had to toss and turn, because you couldn't fiond a good side to sleep on.

xoxo,

Kate

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

Kate, I love my implants. You're right, they r horribly expensive.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

I will have to ask for no epinephrine once I get up the courage to go. My dentist told me they like to use the epi to make the novacaine take effect faster. It also makes my heart pound and my body tremble. Has anyone has experience with laser procedures in the dental chair? That would seem to be ideal for less pain. My worst fear is that darned drill. I hate that sound and the fear of a nerve being hit!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

I am so ready for my girlie-girl treatments today. At 12:30 my hairdresser Joanna is coming here to color and cut my hair. Then at 2:30 Laura my extension girl is coming to put extensions in my hair. I believe, you can't be too rich, too thin, or have too much hair lol.

xoxo,

Kate 

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

GiGi. I use headphones with music at the dentist, it helps dull the drill sound. I think if the epi has a bad effect on you others must have the same problem and the dentist must be used to this....? I don't see why they can't give you extra time to let the novicaine kick in. Also, can you take an Ativan to,help,get you over the anxiety hump? Once you have a few good experiences in the chair I think your fear will go away, as long as you don't have to have the epi. Honestly, I used to have the worst fear, didn't go to the dentist for years, and got over it.

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2013

Hi, Josie, when the shot starts wearing off is where I start squawking, "More juice, please."  I thought it was because the stuff with epinephrine was the short-working stuff.  If the regular is worse, Wow--he'd have to inject me three times!  Or four!  No, except for that tiny moment between injections, I never feel anything and that's just fine.  Once I tried to go the course, but found out the anesthesia wears off very, very, very fast.  No more.  More juice.  Smile.

• LindaJD
    LindaJD Member Posts: 134
    edited May 2013

Hi, I just saw this thread;  I love Golden Retrievers!   Mine beautiful Casey was such a sweet, lovable dog, the best!  He lived to be 14 yrs!   I miss him every day!!! 

I'm just starting my radiation treatment.  Had the 4th one today.  Not sure if I should even be on here but I read about the Goldens & had to comment!

Linda

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

Welcome Linda, I hope you will stay on this thread. It has the sweetest group of caring people, many of us are dog lovers. You sound like one of us already!

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Welcome LindaJD. Hope your Golden brings you comfort as you complete your radiation treatments. You will find answers to any of your questions here and meet some amazing women who have walked the same path as you are now. I don't have a golden, but someday soon I would love a golden doodle.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

In regard to the novacaine, the more anxious you are, the faster it wears off. I found that out along the way. When it wears off, they like to use the stuff with epinephrine in it, so they can continue on without delay.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2013

Gigil, would one of the wonderful Ativan's help for dental anxiety?  If it works for BC treatment, seems it might work for that....

• gigil
    edited May 2013

I have never taken Ativan. I have taken Xanax which is also short acting, I believe. Maybe Ativan would help more. .

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

GiGi, I've used Ativan, not Xanax, but I think there pretty similar.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

•  

Wedding invitations and stationery for every step of the planning process.

•  

Personalized greeting cards that really stand out.

•  

Premium cards and stationery for all life's occasions.

•  

Where your photos come to life in photo books, cards and gifts.

Go

Please enter a search term

New! Videogram

Share what moves you. Turn your pictures and clips into a video with music that tells a story or celebrates a special occasion.

Share what moves you. What story will you tell today?

Create now

FREE with your Premium Videogram Plan

Preview now

From $3.99/Videogram

View and Organize

New! We’ve made a photo book with these pictures

My Photo Book

My Photo Book

8x8 soft cover photo book
    Starting at $19.99 for 20 pages.

This folder is empty.

You may drag and drop albums from other folders
    OR
    add a new album to this folder

This album is empty.

You may drag and drop pictures from other albums
    OR
    upload pictures to this album

You have no favorites.

You have no pictures in your account.

Would you like to upload pictures?

1 of 1

Select this picture

Prints best up to 4x6 Why?

photo (27).JPG

photo (27).JPG 2013-05-21

more info

Filename:

Path:

Filesize:

Resolution:

Uploaded:

Taken:

Modified:

1 pictures, 0 selected

Select: all | none

Sort by:

Date taken (old to new)
    Date taken (new to old)
    Upload order
    Upload order (reverse)
    Name (A-Z)
    Name (Z-A)
    Custom

Date taken (old to new)
    Date taken (new to old)
    Upload order
    Upload order (reverse)
    Name (A-Z)
    Name (Z-A)

Creation date (old to new)
    Creation date (new to old)
    Modified date (old to new)
    Modified date (new to old)
    Name (A-Z)
    Name (Z-A)
    Custom

Size:

You can also make these memorable products with your pictures.

Calendars
    Get creative with our personalized collage calendars.

Photo Gifts
    Turn your photos into gifts. A favorite face on a photo gift makes a memorable present.

More ways to shop

Special Offers
    Find fabulous offers on our most popular photo products.

We've made improvements and created a better way to organize and view your albums and pictures. Now, keeping track of your memories is easier than ever!
    • Access all your pictures and projects from one page
    • Enjoy larger picture views and a full-screen slideshow
    • Arrange your pictures using drag-and-drop placement
    • Easily select pictures to create products like photo books and cards
    • Group your albums into folders
    • Plus much more!

Explore our great new features.

Take a tour

alert dialog

OK

confirm dialog

OKCancel

info dialog

How would you like to share?

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

A photo of me at the donut shop today. Not a great photo because my eyes are closed. I bought this skirt when I bought the skirt I wore Mother's day

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Kate, great looking outfit. Pretty skirt and the top is perfect. You look both classy and trendy!

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2013

Very good picture Kate.cute skirt!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Thank you Giggle and Josie. I felt a little better today.

xoxo,

Kate

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2013

Gorgeous hair, Kate, gorgeous outfit, and, alas, gorgeous donuts.  How on earth do you stay so svelte?

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

Y

Ou look beautiful kate! I love the skirt, and your hair is perfect. And at last we got to be at the donut shop with you!

S glad u feel a little better today.

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2013

Welcome, Linda.  As you move through rads, and after, you'll almost certainly have some questions and concerns.   We've all been there and I think you'll find, whatever the issue, you're not alone.  There are also threads for spring and summer rads, and you might find them helpful as well.