Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2013

Oops, Kate, forgot to use my Yiddish.  

Re photo:  Such schmaltz!  (I hope I'm using the word correctly.  I think it means "style," but with way more oomph.)

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2013

Beautiful photo Kate!  I love that donut shop display too.  I would be all over that place!  Donuts are at the top of my favorites list.  I hope you are feeling well today and enjoying your enhanced hair. 

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

Brookside and Suzannah,

Thank you for the wonderful compliments. As for being svelte I don't think so. I quit smoking 2 and a half years ago, and gained a lot of weight. Now with chemo I am gaining weight too. ( Mostly everyone loses weight on chemo, and I am gaining) So, I am chubbier than I have ever been. Because of the discomfort of this cancer I have been indulging as a reward. So glad you could be at the donut shop with me.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Brookiside Schmaltz means sentimental in yiddish, so at a sentimental movie you might say this is so schmaltzy. I don't know the yiddish word for style, but I love you using yiddish.

Hi Runfree, Thank you for the compliment. As you know I am such a girlie-girl so my enhanced hair makes me feel great. Just so you know I used to have a thick head of hair, but over the years it has gotten  thinner. Chemo and other meds have been thinning it out too, so extensions to make up the loss makes me feel better. I am going to the donut shop later this afternoon, and will be wishing you were here with me to enjoy the delicious donuts. Brookside wish you could be there with us too.

xoxo,

Kate

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

Can I come too? :-)

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Gigil,

Of course you can join us we luv you.

xoxo,

Kate

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2013

Kate - You look absolutely fabulous!! Love the skirt and top. That hair looks good too. I started to loose mine when I went on steroids in 03 and my hairdresser told me to get Nioxin Shampoo and treatment. I have never stopped using it and I have most of my hair back. It came back in gray and I am not using any color on it because I react to the chemicals but it did save most of my hair.

I am late with this DDS thing but have to say my fear started when I was a child. I had a DDS who refused to numb me and we got into such a fight once I kicked him you know where. After that he tortured me every time. I found a DDS out in Ca that I really liked and he had the numbing etc down to a science. Then I moved here and have yet to find one again. The one I have is really timid with the numbing so I keep raising my hand asking for more. makes my anxiety off the charts because I know he is going to hit a spot. They use the numbing gel on my gums when they clean. I too have a problem with Novocaine. However the other one he will use instead does not last long at all so not sure what to do. There are DDS that will put you out completely but it costs a fortune and scares me.  

I wanted a donut today but my yard guy treated my lawn for weeds and it smells out there today so I am staying in. We are supposed to get more rain so maybe it will wash it down in the grass more. I am really looking into a better purifier. I have several Hunters but they only remove dust, pollen and some smells. I need one to remove mold and chemicals. Surely they must make one.  

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Bunkie,

Thank you so much for the compliments. Sorry that you have had problems with dental work. Sorry that you can 't have a donut today.

xoxo,

Kate

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Kate, Love the skirt...you look great. I'll have to pop over to the Promenade next time I'm down there!

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Kate, I'm in. Love me some donuts!

BUNKIE okay this is getting eery! Know when I mentioned getting hit by a dentist as a kid? I had kicked him in the you know what's before he belted me! Not a good situation. He too didn't believe in being gentle and sparing pain! Man! You are surrounded by toxins!

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2013

Hi y'all

Been porching and hitting the gym everyday:))) feels so good. Hubby's cath&foley gone yesterday so here's to a cancer free life X2! Dinner dance Friday yippee!

Kate - luv the girlie pic...your so beautiful! Fight on princess warrior...hope you are feeling better and put a honey wheat cake doughnut in your pocket for me...yumm!

Y'all need to visit my pain free teaching DDS in CA...he is so great...looks like Mr Magoo...ha!

RunFree - are you jogging now? Or just flirting in your girlie summer dresses?

Bunkie - wish you could hire a contractor to get the house ready...list it...and head back to CA.

SAB - need ideas for healthy anti cancer anti estrogen meals. So far vegan 3X a week...hubby goes out for burgers ha ha! Where did you hike this week? DS is in SF her MIL on PBS for her work in SF...made me think of you!

Josie - did all those storms miss you?

Ok, time to cleanup from gym...hope left side swelling goes down soon. RO said I can shave my underarm June1...yippee:). Oh the simple things lol.

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• SAB
    edited May 2013

Hi Cindy.  There is a wonderful thread called something like "anticancer recipes" here on BCO.  It isn't a very active thread, but you can scroll back through for some ideas.  Recently have made grilled veggies with brown rice, quinoa pasta, red split lentils with vermouth and hot pepper with my daughter's favorite Quorn "t'urkey burgers" 4 bean/veggie/tomato chili (no meat/lots of tomatoes) with multigrain chips, veggie curry and steel cut oats with dried fruit.  Um, Lunches have been mostly fruit salad, kale salad with lots of julienned raw veggies, pumpkin seeds and cranberry, organic eggs, and some little multi-grain pizzas with organic cheese (expensive.) I also love to make different kinds and combinations of grains, especially with barley, and roast every kind of veggie imaginable (favorite combo=brussel sprouts with golden beets and red onion). Of course there's always good old peanut butter and banana on omega 3 bread!  Not all are vegan, but you get the idea.  OK, your turn, give me some ideas!

• SAB
    edited May 2013

OMG made myself hungry and going for a snack.

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

GiGil - Told ya we were twins...haha. My DDS got really close to my face and smiled as he said" Don't be such a baby". That is when I kicked him.

RMlulu - I think I am going to try to stick it out till winter and get out of here for several months. Even if I have to do an extended stay place or small apt till it gets fixed and some painting done. I was trying to keep up with it but after the cancer it is becoming a nightmare. Really.... so it has to go. A lot of people keep telling me how lucky I am to have my parents home all paid for. They are right I am blessed but it is in bad need of repairs and I am retired. If I take out a loan against it and do the repairs I will never see the money in this town. Unless General Motors comes back up as a main employer it will take years. I have lost 7% a year for the last 3 years straight. I am looking at Ca again and Vegas as well as other places. I just do not have any family in those areas. We wiill see.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2013

SAB - sending airline ticket...need you for culinary classes...yumm!

Making my list for Whole Foods shopping tomorrow.

Tonight is ezkiel wrap with broccoli slaw, baby spinach, red&green onion, cherry tomatoes and humus sprinkle with tumeric. Evening sack is frozen banana 2T almond butter, and chocolate whey protein smoothie.

Hubby...chicken, potatoe salad, fritos, and dark chocolate Klondike bar...hummm go figure lol!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Sab,

Thank you so much for the compliments. I would love to have lunch with you in the promenade. They remolded the Santa Monica Place Mall. Have you been there since it has been remodeled? If not, you will love the food court area. They have seating outside with views of the ocean. It would be fun to have lunch there too. An old friend called me this week. I haven't seen her since I am 18 years old. Next Wed. we are meeting at the mall for lunch.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Gigil, Wish you could come to Loa Angeles for a visit, so you really could come to the donut shop with me.

Hi Cindy, Thank you for the compliments. The dinner dance sounds like fun. Post a photo of you when you go. I am still at the donut shop, and bought a honey wheat cake donut for you.

xoxo,

Kate

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2013
  • gigil
    edited May 2013

Kate I have always loved California! I plan to do some travel within the next year, so you never know! If it weren't for my husband who loves living in the Midwest, and my kids and grandkids who are all here too, I would strongly consider living there.

BUNKIE my niece and her husband just got stationed in Las Vegas. She is thrilled. I think we will all visit her there. She just finished chemo and is so glad to be done!

SAB and Cindy you are both inspiring me! I love quinoa!

• josie123
    edited May 2013
  • katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Josie,

I am not seeing photos of you on photo bucket. I am just seeing generic photos

Gigil would lov it if you came to Santa Monica

xoxo,

kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Josie ,I am still not able to see your photo

• gigil
    edited May 2013

I clicked on Josie's latest link and her photos were there.  Josie, is that your daughter?  What a cutie, and one of the two of you together, looks like cotton candy blue lips?  Kiss  And your dog?  

Kate, I love to travel on the spur of the moment, so you never know!!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Josie,

Finally I see your photos. Love the photo of you and your daughter. Your daughter is beautiful and so are you.

Gigil that would be great

xoxo,

Kate

• josie123
    edited May 2013

Thanks Kate I'm glad your able to see them.That was our trip to the ballgame on May 14.Now that I know how to do it expect to see more pics soon.BTW how is your cold? I felt awful last night I don't know if it was fatigue or the after effects of the tetanus shot I had on Monday.My arm doesn't hurt as bad but there is a red hot bump where they gave it to me on my arm.

Gigil thanks for the nice comments on the pics.

Yes that was blues cotton candy she had before that pic of Claire.That was her first ballgame and we played the Mets that night .We won BTW .The pic of the dog was my precious Princess.She was a great dog and I miss her a lot.We rescued her when she was about 1 yr old and it was evident she had been abused by a man.She never trusted men again .She followed me everywhere.We had her for 10 yrs and then she lost her ability to walk.It happened so quickly I think it was a brain tumor.So we put her to sleep unfortunately in Dec 2010.My husband brought home this darling puppy 2 months later .I will post pics of her later.She's all grown up now but still pretty cute .

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Kate - How is the leg? Are you feeling any better? I was thinking about how much I miss Santa Monica and the beach. Not that I lived there because I was in Pasadena but just having it close. The air is so clear and fresh there. Not much smog if I remember. It is funny how I could breath in smog most days but can not breath in pollen.

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Josie - I did get to see your photos. Your daughter is pretty and such a cute dog. So sorry she is gone. Looks like you have a really nice family.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Josie,

I love these photos, and can't wait to see more from you. Yoyu have a good memory. My cold is better. My leg is feeling just a little better too. So sorry that you were feeling awful last night. Also, so sorry about the doggie you had to put to sleep. I am so glad you have another dog, and would love to see photos.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Bunkie,

My leg is a little bit better. It is still very swollen, but not as swollen as it was last Saturday.Now that it has been 10 days since I've had chemo I feel better in general. I have to start chemo all over again with a 5 hour treatment June 3, but I am so much enjoying my time away from it now.

I love living in Santa Monica. I am here seven years, but every time I am by the ocean I feel like a tourist. This weekend I am going to the promenade. I want to buy another skirt. Since long skirts are all I can wear I am loading up on them. Last week I bought a salmon color skirt. I saw a purple skirt I liked at the kiosk, but I didn't want to spend more money that day. I will go back this weekend to buy it, or perhaps another skirt. I would love to go to the beach this weekend, but there is too much walking involved at the pier.

How are you feeling? What will you do this weekend?

xoxo,

Kate