Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2013

Brookside - I had a 4 month mammo. Thought it was strange and was afraid of the pain but it was ok. Did not even take a Valium. She used a pad under the breast to soften the machine pressure. Next I have a 6 month one. I was pissed to have to do it so fast but when I got the all clear I felt really good.

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

SusannahW - Good luck today with the mammo. I got a big ole cookie ready for your results.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

Suzannah, I am thinking of you, and ready to do barbacue chicken and baby back ribs. Since your appointment is at 9 am we can have  lunch and dinner pocket parties. Maybe chicken for lunch and ribs, and Sab's beer for dinner.

Hugs,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Brookside darling,

I need you to be thinking positive again. Your 6 month mammo will be fine. B.s. appointment right after is good, so you can breath a sigh of relief with your negative mammo right away. I have the same schedule mammo's every 6 month and an appointment with B.S. right after.

An all or nothing approach, of course, is not good. Starting out with a baby step is great.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Bunkie I can't cook or bake, but I would love it if you moved to Santa Monica.

xoxo,

Kate

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Kate - I come from a long line of cooks. My grandfather was a cook on the railroad back in the 50s. He was Native American. He taught my mom to cook and she was really good. Every holiday when I was growing up we cooked all the food for our family in the next town over and drove to feed them all. It was really fun. I never leaned how to bake much. I can do a few cakes and never could do a pie crust. I wish she could have taught me before she died.

I would love to live in Santa Monica. I lived in Pasadena for about 20 years and Sherman Oaks but I always loved going over the hill as we called it. You have the best air quality and are close to the beach. What more could you ask for?

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2013

Susannah, good luck with your scans today--I'm not worried about the results but I hope you can feel relatively peaceful too.  Brookside, I wish you courage and peace as well.  Do they date the first post-scan 6 months from diagnosis or from surgery or from what?  I am not sure when they'll want to see me.  I got the surgeon to say he'd do an MRI every year and mammo on the 6 months because my lump did not show on mammo, even when it was palpable and showed on ultrasound.  Thank goodness I found it by feel.  My breast feels very lumpy now and I can't tell if it's the same lumps every day or varying ones, kind of freaky.

This cleaning topic is a high-voltage one for me.  My house is a nightmare, disaster, scary hoarder-looking situation.  My mom is not giving me pressure--Josie, I am so sorry to hear about that!  not what you need!--but I AM.  My husband's bugged about it too (some of it is his stuff) although he's not as planny as I am; his idea of change is merely to say "we just have to do better," which in my book is not going to get us anywhere ever.  It's not every spot in the house, but there's part of every room that I have to "unsee" or I'll go mad.  I'm hoping I'll be able to tackle it this summer.  That was part of my plan for January since I have a long break between semesters of teaching.  Then oops, things got complicated starting Jan. 3.  I am still planning to have a party for the people who helped me, tentatively June 15, so I have a near-term deadline for the most public rooms.  It's nothing that a cleaning service could really help with.  I feel OK if I'm a busy afternoon away from having a presentable house.  We keep up with the functional surfaces in the kitchen, and the rugs and bathrooms are always a little dirty but I sort of enjoy the flurry of getting them cleaned up once in a while, if my back holds out.  What really, really bothers me is the long-term clutter, "this has nowhere to live so let's put it in a box and throw the box on the pile of other boxes right out in the room," and nobody can fix that but me.  I have boxes I've been toting around from house to house for 25 years (through something like 7 moves).  Actually what would help would be if people would come sit with me and keep me company as I sort things, and take orders whenever I think of a proper place to put something, but I don't have anybody I could ask for that kind of help.  My mom and sisters don't live near enough.  My mom is going to come for a few days ahead of the party and she'll help some.  Have to get started sooner than that though.  Like, for instance, today.  Brookside, thanks, I will check out that website.  It sounds like it's more about actual cleaning than what I need to do, but the spirit of it is likely to be very helpful.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

BUNKIE OK, I am going to talk to my dad! I am 1/4 Native American and my Dad worked for the railroad for 35 years! He is a fabulous cook, but he worked as a section foreman. Nonetheless the Native American thing too? Wow! I know you said you are adopted, but are you Native, do you know?

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

Thanks to everyone for their positive wishes, kate, RunFree, brookside, GiGil, SAB, hope I didn't leave anyone out. I love Kay's idea to split the barbecue, 1/1 for lunch, the rest for dinner.

Everything was clear. It's timei had my husband come with me, and he was able to sit with me while they did the ultra sound. Last time I was alone, and it was difficult. Still a little weepy today, even though it went well. I guess it's remembrance of the year past.

Bunkie, glad you had a good session with your therapist, sounds like you got the advice you needed and are feeling positive.

To all of you who are cleaning-remember, you don't have to eat off the floor, they have plates for that.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Susannah, so glad you got the all clear! I am more than a little nervous myself. I have not been followed up as closely as I should have, and I am feeling jittery about it. My MO retired and my BS is not very personable or available. Those flashback reactions are hell, aren't they?

Bunkie, I had a sense that you would be so much better off selling the house and moving on. It seems to be dragging your health down in so many ways. Maybe a new start is just what you need. There is a tremendous amount of freedom in the idea that you have the choice to live wherever you want to live.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited May 2013

Hi everyone! I know I have been MIA, but if anyone has ever had a diabetic cat, you will know what I have been up to. It is extremely time consuming and difficult. I have to monitor his blood sugar a lot and this is not an easy task with a squirmy cat who knows every hiding place in my big house. Also, he hears the word "ears" and takes off like a shot cause we check the blood from his ear!

I have not even tried to catch up cause I haven't been here in over a week! I hope all of you are well. Kate, I hope your leg issues are on the mend!

Anyway, as for me, I am still hitting a wall by mid afternoon with exhaustion which my RO said is normal for this protocol and it could take a few months before I feel back to my old self again. Between that and the kitty and my full time job, I have no energy for the internet at night unless it is to update my cat's spread sheet with his blood glucose reading or to ask a question on the feline diabetes message board regarding insulin.

So, that is what is new with me. I have not started smoking again (it is over a month now) and that is a miracle with what is going on with me and the cat now. I am really proud of that for sure.

Ok, gotta get back to work, but wanted to say hi and check in. I will try to visit more often. Hoping all of you are doing well!

xoxoxo

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

GiGil, don't feel jittery about not being followed that closely-can u remedy that? It's hard when your doctor is not personable, but take a friend and insist on answers. And you definttely need a new MO. As hard as it is to have the scans it's harder to avoid them and live with that anxiety. Just do it, make the calls today, we will be with you.

April, yay!! You're over the hardest part of stopping smoking. I stopped 28 years ago, and to this day it makes me happy. Sorry about your kitty, but u seem to be coping well.

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546
    edited May 2013

Hi Bunkie and Kate, sorry for my delay in replying but I had my exchange surgery yesterday and am just getting back to typing.

The penguin cold caps are like a big frozen diaper you wear on your head at chemo infusion to reduce the amount of drugs going to your hair follicles. When I first heard about it I thought what???? but they work.

We have an active thread on this website with lots of info about the caps. Just search "penguin cold caps". They have been through clincial trials and did significantly save hair, with no increase in scalp mets. They were featured recently on "the doctors" but still few have heard about them. I really think all women should at least be offered this option.

You girls seem great on this thread- please come to California and visit any time! That pink cowboy shirt would fit right in here!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Suzannah,

Congrats. I am so happy for you!  Yes, if you are on est we can do barbacue for lunch in about an hour, then about 6 hours later we can have ribs and beer for dinner. You need to feel relieved, and great today, and party, party, party.

Hugs,

Kate

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Susannah I am going to call today. I have a wonderful PCP who has done blood studies and physical exams galore, so I am feeling good about that part while I search for an MO. My old one was such a dear. She would even find foster homes for her patients' dogs and cats while they were undergoing treatment and too tired to deal. My son used to work for her clinic. She was a rare human being.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Sciencegal, Where in Ca. do you live? I live in Santa Monica. Thanks for letting me know about cold caps.

xoxo,

Kate

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Susannah, done!  Made the appointment for June 20 for mammo and follow up appointment with my surgeon right afterward.  The good thing is they don't leave you hanging for results.  You get your results right away.  That is the good part.  I have been doing self exams all along, for anything unusual - new lumps, lymph nodes in the armpit and along collar bone.  Nothing feels unusual.  So, here's hoping.  Any more trouble and these two girls are going!!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2013

Hi RR sisters,
    Yes, my summer class was canceled...now I am determined to make good use of the time...to pick a project and to set aside those hours each week to work on something I really want to do.  I need rest for my body and soul...more than I needed the money (still trying to convince myself, but I know it's true).

Thanks for asking (a few pages back) about my visit with DS
    I have traveled to San Francisco to spend time with him & partner.  We have had a wonderful time...spent 3 blissful days at Big Sur and now back to the city....home to NY very soon.
    I try to do this visit every year in between semesters.
    One of the best parts of this trip is explained in my next post....

I've been reading back and just want to wish everyone peace and rest this holiday week end...days off from medical worries, rads, dentists, etc.!

Kate a special wish that you can make it through the week end in comfort and peace.  I join you in being present in the beauty of today and to not try to look too far down the road.  You are beautiful in your warrier coat...you are not alone.

• joan811
    edited May 2013

After some tentative but hopeful planning, we had a meet up in San Francisco...
    SAB, Mostly Sew, and myself...
    It was like we knew each other for a long time...
    I will post pix and then maybe Sew and SAB can post what we did....
    wish everyone here could join up for a huge group hug!
    I am very grateful for this thread where I have always felt support and acceptance.  We share everything from medical issues and concerns to recipes and family ups and downs...this thread is a GOOD place to be.  And it was a joy to meet these sisters!

Just two photos -- please let me know if you cannot view these...I'll try something else.

http://cmd.shutterfly.com/commands/pictures/slideshow?site=sanfranciscomay232013&page=sanfranciscomay232013/pictures&album=8&albumPath=

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Gigil - Oh now I am really interested!!! I was adopted when I was 6mos old. I never saw my birth mother. I promised my mom I would not look for her for answers but after she died and after BC I got curious. If not about her but siblings etc. So I sent for my original birth certificate. It has yet to arrive because it was hidden in closed files. My mom always told me I was a mix. We will see.

So glad you made your appt. Get it done and behind you.

I am definitely selling next year. I just have to decide how much I want to fix before I sell.I could do it As IS but they say that is a bad way to do it. I want to get my money out but not over spend or I will loose money. In this market it is not wise with an old home. Going to call a Realtor in the fall and see what they say.

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546
    edited May 2013

Hi Kate, I am up in the bay area now, but lived in LA for my training (UCLA). I know Santa Monica well. Enjoy the day down there! I wish you buckets of sunshine.

• joan811
    edited May 2013

Hi sciencegal...I am not sure why you chose that screen name...with what type of science are you involved?
    I hope your day is going well...
    Joan

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

GiGil, I could sense your relief in your post. Proud of you!! I think as long as you have one really good doctor in the mix you're ahead of the game, someone to keep an eye on the overall picture. So glad you get your results right away-I think it is I humane to keep people hanging. I get mine right away too, but I think it is only because my husband is on the medical staff of my hospital. I don't think I could bear to wait. Now all u need to do is get a referral for a good mo.

Joan, how neat that you and sew and SAB met up! Please post photos soon.

Kate, you're the best, you make me feel so supported. How r you feeling today?

Bunkie, you're sounding positive! Happy for you.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2013

April, I'm so glad you checked in.  I've been wondering about you.  Sorry you're hitting the rads wall, I know how that feels.  Be sure to continue with the extra protein and it will get better slowly as the RO says.  It sounds like you're getting your kittie's meds under control, and that will be a relief for you, I'm sure.  And CONGRATS on the smoking cessation.  You're over the hump, my friend.  Way to go.....you deserve so many kudo's for all the things you've accomplished in the past several months, I can't count them all!

Susannah, so good to hear about the all clear.  Those pocket party ribs were delicious, and I'm sure that helped the good outcome of the mammo.  From one who's now had 3 mammos since treatment finished, it's always scary, but does get a little less so each time.  And I'm always so thankful when they give me the results right then and there.....no waiting for us BC gals, and that's a good thing.

Gigil, way to go, you get kudos too for making that mammo appt.  You do need to get it, as you well know, and you're going to feel so much better when it's done.  For me passing that first mammo was like the day I finished rads and it felt like a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders.  It's amazing the stress we carry and don't realize it until we've rid ourselves of it, isn't it?

RunFree, storage and organization are the hardest things of all for me to handle too.  Being a fiber artist, who dables in many many things, storage is always a challenge.  Any chance you could spring for a professional organizer for the day?  They'd come help you sort/store things.  Hmmm, maybe I'll hire one and let you know how it works.  It always looks good on TV.

Bunkie, you're dealing with so many issues back there in that house and in those surroundings.  It certainly has added to your load.  Good luck with getting the house in shape, that's always so hard after the passing of our parents.  I suppose you've thought about talking with a trusted realtor to see if perhaps selling now, with out any more fix up might off-set the loss in revenue from the house with the gain of no longer having allergies to it?  It's probably a long shot, I know, but I do hate to see you struggling with all this.

Kate, it sounds as though you're dealing with your chemo and this new cancer just exactly like the princess warrior you are, and I'm glad to see you are able to do that, as I know it's your fondest wish.  You're doing quite well, my friend, and we're all here supporting you the only way we can, with hugs and good thoughts and positive vibes even if you don't hear from us daily.

Janis, you're quiet my friend.  How's that knee coming along?  Are the new meds for the gastric upset helping at all?  I sure hope so.  I know things are tough with the loss of Will right now, but please, don't forget you can always reach out to us, we understand.

Josie, I never invite the "clean" police to my house...... makes my life easier. 

Sciencegal, welcome.  Sounds like you're tolerating your exchange surgery quite well, amazing you're up and about and posting already today.  sorry you had to join us, but you'll find this a great bunch of characters.

Joan, I can't wait for that next post......tehehe.  Glad to hear you're going to take your cancelled class time and make it "you" time this summer.  that sounds like a great idea.

If I missed anyone, it must be my aging memory.  I've been not as closely watching the thread recently, finding it necessary to take a few "mental" health days myself.

I will just say I always had to clean my room on Saturdays growing up also.  I think it's the age.  Unfortunately I made my kids clean their room on Saturdays also.  I'll have to ask them if that memory is a bad one or not Embarassed

Have a great holiday weekend everyone.  It's family time for me including a pot luck.  Guess I'll have to do extra exercise to offset the calories.  Oh, and I've managed to get back to a reasonable exercise regime, and the PT has me doing some gentle strength training and stretching and balancing exercises.  Don't know which is harder, the strength training or the balancing Wink

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Joan,

Great photos. How wonderful that you, Sab, and Sew got to meet. So glad you had a wonderful visit with your son.

Ty Joan. I feel better, and I don't feel alone. I am back to thinking positive and have a couple of fun things planned. Next Fri my doc friend and I are going to happy hour in Malibu. Wed. I am going out to lunch with an old school friend I haven't seen since high school graduation. I am definitely hanging in there. Thanks so much for thinking of me.

xoxo,

Kate

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Well, that last post took me so long to write, 5 people posted in-between!

Joan, you're right, we had just a marvelous time yesterday.  laughter, a great walk, mimmosa's, lunch overlooking the ocean and no talking about BC as we were all too interested in each other and just enjoying the day.  That's the way to get together in my book.  Meeting both of you face to face was like coming home.  You might not have seen your loved ones in a long time, but you know them well and feel comfort in their presence.  And that's enough said for me!  Except for the part about how I really am tall, and I'm bringing stool for the two of you to stand on next time!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Sciencegal ty so much for your support

Suzannah You are the best too. I am feeling a little better today

Sew Pot luck sounds like fun. Glad you are back on your exercise regime. Whenever the leg swelling goes away I need to exercise too.

Janis I have been thinking about you too, and wondering where you are?

Thanks you ladies for your wonderful support

xoxo,

Kate

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Sciencegal, now we know you live up here, you can join us on our next "meet up:.  Probably next year when Joan visits Ca again....

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Great photo of the three of you. So glad you got to meet up and have some good times.   BUNKIE the story is more interesting than you can imagine.  I will have to give you some details soon.  Crazy world this is.  

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2013

So many postings!  So nice to read every word everyone writes!

RunFree, my surgeon's secretary said I was due in early July, which would be six months after surgery, but he'll be away (probably avoiding all the bright eyed new residents), so she scheduled me at the end of June.  I'm so glad it will be earlier.  For the past couple of weeks, I've been really poking all around just about everywhere above my waist, trying to get a handle on all my lumps and bumps, and I'm totally confused.  I plan to ask this guy for a kind of mapping.  He doesn't know it yet, and I wonder if maybe I should warn him (?), but my expectation is that we will go over the mammogram, we’ll match it to the breast exam, and he will identify every lump I feel.  He's pretty good at dismissing issues he does not find important, so we'll see how this works, especially as he's probably overstuffing his schedule so he can be free for his vacation.  I'll also lobby very, very, hard for an MRI at my one-year anniversary.

The absolutely best thing he said about this 6-month visit is that the mammogram is just to establish a baseline.  Now this gives me confidence.