Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2013

Am I correct in deducing that housekeeping recovery is part of radiation recovery?  Who would have thunk it, but it sure seems a lot of us are having an issue with clutter and organization.  Must be a hush hush side effect of the rads. 

For me, it's just about eight weeks since rads and I finally cleaned my office yesterday (new client coming in).  Unfortunately, I stashed about a ton of paperwork in the car and now need to find a home for it at, er, home.  Hoping this rainy weekend will make me sufficiently bored that a bit of cleaning and tossing stuff at home will sound appealing. 

Happy holiday weekend, everyone!

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2013

Brookside, yep, you're right...rads causes the need of a clean sweep...lol.  good observation.  Your plan for the visit with your surgeon is great too.   

FYI, a lot of us had the first mammo 6 months after radiation finished.  I had an ultra sound 2 months after rads due to new strange lumps and bumps.  Also ended up having mammo's every 6 months along with US on cancer side.  Now, after 3 clear mammos, they don't automatically do the ultra sound.  Guess I've got a good enough baseline.

• LindaJD
    LindaJD Member Posts: 134
    edited May 2013

Hi & thanks for the warm welcome!  I'm definitely a dog lover & all animals.  When I was growing up, I always brought home stray dogs!  When I was raising my boys, we had a menagarie; a german shepherd mix, a cat, a turtle, a rabbit, 2 fish aquariums & birds!  Casey, my golden, came into our lives as a puppy.  He was the best puppy; was house trained within a week, slept in his crate from the very first night! He always barked @ his food in his dish before he ate!  I guess he was saying Grace.   He gave unconditional love, friendship & happiness for the 14 years that I was priviledged to be his Mommy.  Casey was my "third" child.  We had 14 wonderful, enriching years together, he was my loyal & constant companion.  This is the first time in my life that I have not owned an animal.  The man I live with is NOT an animal lover & after Casey died, he made it clear he didn't want me to have another dog here. 

I wish Casey was still here, on this earth, cause I know  he would bring me such comfort & peace with all that I'm dealing with right now.  He is forever etched in my heart & he now "sits" inside a gold( w/ black paw prints) can on my dresser. I still say Good Morning to him every day. 

I had my 7th rads treatment today; only 26 more to go:(   It feels like there is no end in sight.

Hope everyone enjoys their Memorial Day weekend.

Linda

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546
    edited May 2013

That would be great to join the next California meet-up!

And in answer to why I chose my screen name, I work in a biology lab at a university and science is my life. But I don't work on cancer- I truly admire those scientists who have brought us our cures and treatments! BIG shout out to them.

Thanks for all the posts, you seem like a great group of friends. I don't have anyone in my life who is going through treatment (I already lost my mom and aunt to cancer) so it is great to talk to others who "get it!"

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2013

April - It is hard to get an animal used to shots. Yikers!! My dog was easy but she was a really calm dog. She really liked that sling we built for her. Now a cat is probably not going to hold still while you hoist her up. Good luck with that.

GiGil - Ok I am waiting for details.Smile I still have to get out and buy those pills you mentioned.

Sciencegal - Thanks for the info on the cold cap. I did not have chemo just rads BUT it is good to know.

Sew - It would be nice to join you girls next year. Hopefully I will be back out there by then or close by.

Kate - You sound better today. That makes me feel good.

Runfree - It takes a long time to declutter...especially after someone dies. It has been 2 years almost 3 and I still have stuff left to do. I find that  I can take it one area at a time....not even one room. My dining room table is my clutter spot. All the mail and magazines goes there. I have downsized my collection of Southwest Cookie jars from 70 to about 30. Last winter healing from rads I went through 350 southern cooking magazines of Paula Dean, Southern Living etc. They were all over the place and up to 10 years old. I went through EVERY one and saved about 50 recipes that I may never make. I donated them to Dr offices etc. Then I went through 160 cook books. I know..crazy but I had been collecting for about 20 years. I now have about 60 and that is still too much. They went to the Library. I had a Dr in Ca that used to say "You spend the first 60 years buying everything you love and the next 20 getting rid of it all." Now that I am 60 I really get that.

I did go to PT again today. He worked me hard but that is good. Got me out of the house AND to the store. My legs were shaking when I was walking in the store but I did it. Two more weeks unless I can get more.

My ears hurt and it is cold here. It was 38 this morning. You know I hate anything below 40 or above 85. I am still searching for that place.  

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

OK, I had to skim...so forgive me if I miss some stuff!

April, I am so happy for you about the smoking.  It will be the best thing you ever did for yourself on so, so many levels.  Congratulations! I hope you honor your body and rest.  I know your energy will slowly come back.

Susannah, I read your scan went well (though I missed the post somehow) and I just wanted to give you a hug and tell you that you were brave indeed.  Now they have a baseline, as GiGi says, and it will make future scans more useful and accurate.  Way to go!  You too Gigi!  You did good making the appt.

Bunkie, I suspect you will feel a great sense of lightness when the responsibility of this house is gone.  You sound happy just talking about seeing a realtor.  Though I'm sure there are lots of good memories, you can take those with you when you leave.

Joan and Sew, what can I say?  I enjoyed every minute of meeting you, and I too felt like I had known you for a long, long time.  I was so sorry to get on the road, feeling like we had just scratched the surface.  I know if you guys lived closer I would see you all the time Laughing especially if there were mimosas involved.  (((((hugs))))

Joan I love the pictures!

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

LindaJD, it does feel like rads are going to take forever, but you've already made more than a week of the grind, so that's a great start. I used to keep a calendar and happily made an x thru each finished day. Used different color pens too. Check in with us as you go along, and since I usually do the mantra I'll give it to you too: remember to eat lots of protein daily (Greek yogurt is great for that) moisturize lots and lots, hydrate even more, and exercise as you can but don't overdo it as your body needs all it's strength to help rebuild itself in a cancer free way.

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Bunkie, you're on....get yourself out here and join us. That's yet another incentive to get that house done and off your plate.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2013

Wait a minute!  What about us northeasterners?  How's about y'all come here?

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Road trip! I LOVE road trips! We can take the magic bus.... How totally fun.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

Brookside  I love NY. So much wish I can go back. Would love to see you and Joan, and the other Northeasteners. Sew, and Sab how about a Southern California meetup? Bunkie I know you love Santa Monica and Venice, so it would be great if you could come too.

Bunkie, I am feeling so much better than I did last Saturday. I think chemo aggravates my leg swelling. It is still very swollen, but I can walk on it better, without getting out of breath, and I am able to go a few blocks more. I am off of chemo next week too, so I will even be feeling better. I have a couple of dates next week that I am looking forward to. On Wednesday I am meeting a woman who was my friend in grade and high school. I have not seen her since the night of high school graduation, so it will be so much fun to see her again. Friday I am going to happy hour in Malibu with my doctor friend. During chemo I wasn't up for happy hour drinks, and Mexican food, but I sure am now. My doctor friend is an extremely bubbly and positive person. Her infectious laughter rubs off on me. She is also super girlie-girl. We have a blast, and I am so much looking forward to it, even with an ugly swollen leg.

xoxo,

Kate 

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

Kate, what nice plans to look forward too! But as I read your post I couldn't help but feel that chemo took more out of you than you let on at the time. I am really learning how to be positive from you, you seldom dwell on the negative, you get over bumps quickly, and try to see the bright side. It did tear at my heart a little to hear you weren't up for happy hour or Mexican food. Glad you getting a mini vacation.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2013

Linda, welcome Sounds like we would get along perfectly I used to be a Vet Tech and love animals.I loved the stories you told of your past pets.How are you doing during Rads?Any problems or questions?

Sab,Sew and Joan I'm so jealous You ladies got to meet each other but happy for you.I tried to view the . Pics but it said it wasn't supported on my device?

I've been pretty busy yet tired today.DH had a upper GI qand colonoscopy this afternoon.I worked until they called me from the GI lab .Then left to pick him up.They took a biopsy and removed a polopt. He's had on going problems since Christmas but ignored it since he was so involved in my health issues.

I've been pretty distracted with myself but may feel a tad bit guilty that we didn't get him taken care of sooner.He's a big boy and is responsible for himself but still I feel like I neglected him a little.

I'm so glad my PCP decided to run all these tests on me I had to fast but he's checking for diabetes Thyroid anemia and liver function because he said that pretty standard for my age.I am pretty sure I'm anemic.It's that feeling of having to walk a mile to the car when really it's not even half that far and running out of breath so easily when I'm physically active at all.I have been anemic several times in my life so I know the feeling.Last time I was severely anemic my hemoglobin was like 9 .

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Suzannah,

Thank you for the compliments. You are such a sweetheart. I am thrilled that you are learning how to be positive. It will make such a difference in your life.

Now that I am temporarily off of chemo I realize that it did take a toll. I never said chemo was fun, but I did have minimal side effects. However, it did aggravate my cancer symptoms, and that is why it was the most difficult. June 3 will be my bad week, because it is a 5 hour treatment, but I won't dwell on it. Somehow the week will go by fast. Thank goodness my other 5 hour treatment only kept me out of the donut shop on the day of the treatment, because it was a long day. Then the week of June 10, and June 17 with 30 minute treatments will be much easier. Then the week of June 24 I will be off again. June 25 is my birthday and I am going out to dinner with kelly from the donut shop. June 26 Kelly and I are going to PF Chang happy hour, and June 28 I will go out with my dr. friend to Malibu, so I will have a fun birthday week.

Keep up the good work about staying positive. Whatever the ordeal alway tell yourself that you will get through it and be ok. This too shall pass is what I tell myself when I am un comfortable from this cancer ordeal.

Have a fabulous holiday weekend

Hugs,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Josie darling,

So sorry that you are feeling tired. Glad your husband's colonoscopy was ok. Please have a fun holiday weekend.

Hugs,

Kate

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Kate - I am so glad you reconnected with an old friend. I did the same last summer. One of my best buddies in high school and I found each other again. It is so much fun. Sounds like you are feeling better. Good. That chemo is icky. I agree it has your leg all swollen.

Have a good donut for me.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Bunkie,

Thank you. I am feeling a little bit better. I did chores this morning, and soon I will go to the donut shop. What kind do you like? Then i might go to the Santa Monica Mall. Fast food chinese looking at the ocean view sounds good to me. Then Sunday I will go to the proimenade. and maybe today too. Wish you were here so you could come with me.

xoxo,

Kate

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

Sounds like a nice plan kate! Wish I could join you. It's nasty here in them northeast today, cold and rainy. Wish I had a donut.

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Josie - Glad your hubby's testing came out good. I am waiting for an appt with a gastro. I need the works. I have been too busy with my autoimmune disease and BC to notice my stomach acting up after GB surgery. Feels like a merry go round sometimes. Get one thing fixed and here comes another.

Sew - You are right. Need to get this house gone next year. It is a money pit and has too many memories.

Sab - I totally agree with you. Sometimes you just need a new place to be. I will be fine with all my other memories of my mom I have in my head and photos. Do not need to see them every place I look....everyday.

Brookside - I was always super organized but the combo of two households and 50 years of stuff just go to be too much. I stayed with my step sister in law 2 winters ago and she is a hoarder. She has walkways in her home and has collected stuff for years. I cleaned out her pantry for her and she had canned goods form 5 years ago. OMG when I came home I could not wait to downsize. I was doing good till mom died. Then I just shut down so when I got BC it all had to go. I feel better now. Still have more but I am about 2/3 done.

LindaD - Welcome to our group. We are a really great bunch of women here. I am allergic to most pets but I grew up with dogs. Love them. I can still handle them in small doses. It is hard to loose such a sweet baby. My ex did not like them either. My neighbor brings over her tiny dog every now and then. He is so cute. I itch and sneeze when he leaves but I can take it for a little while. Maybe one day my allergies will ease up and I will get another doggy.

• josie123
    edited May 2013

BUNKIE thanks but I'm still a little worried until the polp he had in the colon comes back ok.We have to wait for the path to come back.But hopefully it's ok.

That's a bummer your so allergic.I'm sitting here with a red puffy eyelid that itches terribly.It helps when I use the hydrocortisone ointment but it's 1%

He told me nothing stronger than 1/2% .Oh well it works and couldn't find the right strength.My hubby and I took my daughter and her friend fishing today.

We had such a great time. They actually caught some fish too.It rained but the girls wouldn't leave they stood there in the rain and fished and fished.My dear hubby was so patient they kept him busy with 're baiting hooks and such and getting the fish off the line.My daughter had a fish on the line and when I jumped up out of the chair my camera(Kodak digital)

Fell out of my jacket and ended up in the lake.Oops !!

I guess that's what I'll have to ask for my birthday.Its not until Aug 24 but still.I did take pics though with my phone but not sure how to download onto my PC.

• josie123
    edited May 2013

BTW my daughter invented a new fishing term

"Worm me up dad"

She is too funny!!!

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Josie, hope your hubby's name's not Scottie Surprised

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Suzannah,

Sorry you have crummy weather. I have 65 and suuny. My favorite kind of weather, not too hot, and not too cold. I will buy a donut for you.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Bunkie, I am sorry your stomach is acting up.

Josie your husband's polyp will be fine. I had a colonoscopy two years ago and I had 7 polyps. Thank God they were negative, but I need a colonoscopy every 3  years. I am due next week.

Sorry your eyes are itchy.

Fishing in the rain sounds like so much fun. Sorry you lost your camera.

xoxo,

Kate

• josie123
    edited May 2013

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l611/JH9531/30658819363691.jpg

This was our trip to the zoo last year when my son Andy turned 15 my kids

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Josie,

I love that photo. You and the kids are darling.

xoxo,

Kate

• mainegirl
    mainegirl Member Posts: 24
    edited May 2013

Just finished up radiation last Thursday; such a good feeling.  Anyone else get worse burn feelings after it was done?  I've had a few days of being really sore.  Skin has opened up in a few places.  I got Silvadene prescribed, which feels great for a while and then I reapply.  Of course, it's not chemo so I hate to complain!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Josie Worm me up. I love it.

xoxo,

Kate

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

Hi mainegirl and welcome.  So glad you are finished with rads.  Yes, sometimes the effects linger on and get a little worse before they get better.  My breast peeled and broke open for about 10 days before it got better, slowly but surely.  The Silvadene is good stuff for burns in general.  I couldn't even wear a camosile for awhile afterward.  

Our weather in Minnesota is 60's cloudy and windy.  I tried to shop today but everyone else in the city had the same idea.  I beat a hasty retreat for home.  I did fill my car up in case I get the urge to head west to the country and my daughters farm at some point this weekend.  It is about a four hour drive, but we have a small house in Lakes country Minnesota where I can hide away if I want to.  Sometimes that place gets too isolated, but it does put me within a couple of hours driving of my daughter and about 90 miles from where my husband works in the ER.  We are going to look at lake places in the town where he works 3/4 of the time in the great north woods.  Hoping to sell the house we have out there and use the equity for a lake place, finally.  Maybe it will be our retirement home.  All I can think of is the work it is going to be to move out of the house we have out there, which is filled with 33 years of marriage accumulation plus all of the kids left behinds.  I get so caught up in nostalgia, it is ridiculous.  Bunkie, you have the right idea downsizing.  After my mother passed, I realized what a hoarder that little lady was.  It has been a job downsizing my dad and moving him into a senior apartment.  Not to mention I had to become Sherlock Holmes to discover where she had all of her bank accounts - 9 all total.  My dad was quite surprised by all of those little nest eggs.  My mother fully intended to live to a very old age, and she was planning some fun along the way.  Darn!!  Wish she could have.  We never thought Dad would survive her.  Now he is the man with all of the money.

Josie, it seems it is so common for a man to have polyps and women as they get older.  My husband usually has between one and three.  They always come back benign. Thank God.  Bet your husband's will too.  So good of you to take the kids fishing this morning.  I decided to sleep in since my house is suddenly very quiet and calm and all of the family get togethers are done for awhile.  I had a hard time getting going!!

Kate, you sound downright spunky today with all of those plans.  

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited May 2013

I once again am behind in posts!

I saw the picture of you all in California, how I wish I could have been there!! how wonderful that you got to spend some time togethor, I am so jealous!

Just want to wish everyone a nice, healthy holiday weekend. I am doing alright here, some ups some downs but mostly doing alright. Kate I hope things are going well, this soon shall pass too. So beautiful in your skirts and that smile shows what a fighter you are, keep at it I think of you everyday and pray for you every night.

much love to you all. Thank you a million times over for just being there. xo