Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2013

Thanks Brookside - Kicked it is. I am fine just sad to see all my hard work down the drain. Sometimes we just have to move on. Yes I will have some things that have to be dealt with to pass inspection but now that I have decided it will be OK. Most of the work can be done with me not in the home this winter and then I will list it ASAP. What a  waste of time and money. Live and learn.

On a good note I went downstairs this morning and tossed everything in moms old small freezer out and will defrost it tomorrow.... then unplug it and my handyman can put it out for pickup. Next week I am going to unplug dads old icebox extra fridge and toss any old sodas etc in there. Unclutter!!!

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited June 2013

Bunkie, so sorry it has come to this, but I think you are on the right track with the peace you've made with your decision. Sure you might not get top dollar for the house in its current condition, but to bring it up any more sounds like you'd be throwing good money after bad. Sounds like you know it's time to cut your losses. And the value of not having to put any more sweat into it is priceless. The only thing you need to do is bury a statue of St Joseph in the backyard so it sells! ;-). Seriously, realtors often have them on hand to loan out. Google it if you haven't heard of the concept. Old wives' tale, but certainly can't hurt.

All the best to you. ((Hugs))

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited June 2013

Bunkie, Sorry about your water damage, but so glad you have decided to sell.

I had a fabulous time in Malibu last night. The weather was perfect as we sat at the outside bar and had wine. Then off to the mexican restaurant for good food and margaritas. My friend gave me a darling sweater for a gift. It was another great birthday celebration.

Today I am getting my bedroom painted, so probably no time to celebrate. Tomorrow I might go to Main street in Venice. I saw a darling hat at a boutique there, and I am hoping it is on sale. Then I will probably have dinner at a restaurant in Venice. That will end my birthday celebrations. I have the dreaded 6 hour chemo Monday.

xoxo,

Kate

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited June 2013

Bunkie - ugh...that house :( 

Your parents would not want your living and working on something that is assulting at every turn your health, body, mind, and soul!  You have honored them and showed deep love and repsect for them, but it is time for you to take care of you.

Interview 3 Realtors, just to be sure and keep your friend on their toes. Also, good to hear different apporaches to how to market/price.  The just do it! yes list the house and start a fresh!

You may wish to consider that the stuff you take with you may need to be decontaminated/aired out/ ....so declutter...give it away to a nonprofit...and start truely fresh no buggy bears or mites... home...if that is ever possible.

Looking forward to hearing where you move!

(((hugs)))

Cindy

• rmlulu
    edited June 2013

Josie - my eyes teared up thinking about your book!  Wow, what a gift of love and encouragement to someone they love and repsect:)  Makes your heart all warm...

(((hugs)))

Cindy

• rmlulu
    edited June 2013

Joan - A nice evening with hubby...dinner...drinks...sroll...desert...and the beach to watch the falling stars and make a wish:)

Rest up grammie the kiddos are coming and your on for tent city and air mattress duty...oh and s'mores...yummm:)

Have a great time making memories!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• rmlulu
    edited June 2013

Kate - What girlie girl color for the princess?  We've had a very blessed BDay :) you still have a few hours to celebrate...will be working on loading up the pockets.

Janis, Sew, SAB, Susannah, Brookside, Bunkie, Josie, April, Gemini...calling all pocket buds time for cakeballs, wine, and lets try not to poke anyone with the magic wands and 4th of July flags HA!  Wait til your chemo group sees our drill team perform...left right bend twirl ouch! RunFree your other right and with a little more joy LOL!  What FireCrakers!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2013

Bunkie, it does sound as though you are at peace with  this decision.  I'll bet your parents are too!  BTW, you're supposed to bury St. Joseph upside down. 

Kate, i saw a friend the other day who just absolutely dreaded her third round of chemo. She said she hit the wall, mentally and physically as it approached.  A brilliant chemo nurse (and aren't they the absolute best with tips and tricks to get through this stuff!) told her the third time is the hardest for just about everyone, because, she said, that's when the chemo is really kicking butt with those little nasties.  She implied that those creeps actually send out, "Go away!" and, "Leave me alone!" and "We'll behave, we promise!" messages.  If your shrivelling nasties try to do the same, just send back an eviction notice.  Enjoy this weekend, and, on Monday, and after, just snear at those little liars.  Remember, however lousy you feel, they're feeling way, way way, worse.   (Hee, hee!)

• brooksidevt
    edited June 2013

By the way, I just tried six times to send a longer post, which just kept disappearing into cyberspace.  Don't know if it is my computer (work puts layers upon layers of protection on it), my up and down wireless, or the website, but I can't seem to send more than two paragraphs, almost ever.  Ergo, multiple short post from me on everything.

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Janis are you ok? We haven't heard from you in a while. You said you were having tests Thursday. Do you know the results of those tests yet? I hope all is well.

xoxo,

Kate

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited June 2013

Bunkie, I'm glad you decided to move forward.  Nobody who has read your posts over the past few months doubts your decision.  I'm sure your parent's loving spirits will be with you no matter where you live, and they would not want you to have this burden.

Kate, I love that you are celebrating every minute!  Be careful of the heat.

Josie, What a lovely, thoughtful gift you received.

Joan, I am truly ready for an evening just like that.  My teen was out of town but we received unexpected (but welcome) guests and were unable to go out and play.  Now my teen arrives home tonight, and the rest of my extended family arrives on Tuesday, for the duration of the holiday week.  I'm looking forward to it, but it is a ton of work...will have 10-12 people to feed and bunk every day.  Making my menus now. Margaritas have to wait!

Most important, my dd the elder called me yesterday and started the conversation "I'm OK, but"  OHHH you know that's bad news, right?  She was riding her bike and hit by a car in a terrible neighborhood in Oakland. Evidently people there poured out of their houses, called her an ambulance, stayed with her holding her hand, tried to chase down the car and took her bike to a nearby woman's shelter. After 5 hours in the ER and a bunch of tests they declared her OK, except for a bad sprain and a "road rash" along her side. She's home with crutches now.  

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited June 2013

Bunkie, you have done right by your parents and done right by the house, even if you're stopping work on it sooner than you planned.  It's not only that someone else will probably buy it and fix it and resell for more, but that someone else will get the headaches and mildew and annoyances that you're going to spare yourself from here on out.  Your health, time, energy, and focus are not worth that amount of money, but someone else will be willing to make that bargain because they won't have your present health issues and may be at a place in their life where they can do that.  So I hope you won't think of it as someone else getting the money and you have to live with that idea--it's someone else being willing/able to trade money for all the things it will cost them.  Your heart must have just sunk so low when you saw that leaking.  What a night.

Joan and Kate, you both had lovely nights of Mexican food and festivity!  How lovely.  Kate, I second what Brookside said.  You've handled the other long chemo sessions and you can handle this one.  It's the cancer that can't handle it.  Take that, stupid cancer!  Meanwhile we will all be in your pocket making a racket and passing the cake balls and wine.  What a mess in there!

Brookside, I absolutely remember when that book came out about the guy who used laughter to fight cancer.  It was Norman Cousins, and the book was "Anatomy of an Illness." 

So I had another conversation with the life coach (she works for a friend of mine, not for me) and she was perfectly normal and deep and up to the job.  I think maybe she's not a word person, and that first reaction was about her just not governing her words very well.  I'm still going to carry around Cindy's phrase, "she lives in fluff," for whenever I need it.  Too many people do!

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2013

Brookside, Kate, RunFree, Sab, Rmlulu, and and anyone I missed thanks for the support about the house. I am glad to finally make the decision and get on with my life. You are so right about my parents not wanting me to go through this and the money is NOT that important. I will miss this neighborhood but Bye-Bye. If you all could see it when you drive down the street it is all tree lined and looks like a photo in an old magazine. Everyone is out with their kids and dogs and planting flowers etc. You just do not get that in an apt. I may look for a condo or townhouse.

So I am looking for my next place. It is between Ca again, Az, NM and NV. After watching the weather report this week it should be Santa Monica or Malibu!!! Wow all my favorite places are really hot right now. I have a cousin who lives in Atlanta and wants me there but they have some bad pollen and I would probably spend all my time hiding in the house. Well at least I get to choose where I want to go. I will most likely get a apt here till I can decide.

Sun is out finally and I think I need a little more of Kate's birthday cake with ice creme. Now where are those coconut chocolate cake balls I had before.....

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2013

Kate I am fine, did not want to worry anyone and planned to update today.  Thanks so much for thinking of me.  I had tests at the hospital Thursday.  I had to be there at 7:45 and had to fast for  hours prior to the procedures.  No water or coffee after midnight and that as the hard part.  They did the stress tests.  First test consisted of doing CT scans on my heart and surrounding veins, etc.  That took about 20 minutes, then the tech let me have a big glass of water.  That sure hit the spot.  Then came the chemical stress test.  I have no idea why he didn't even offer the treadmill test, but the tech said that he almost always ordered the chemical test.  She explained to me before she injected it into the IV that I might feel "funny" for a few seconds and that was normal.  She injected it and very quickly it hit and it felt so strange.  I did not like the feeling at all but it was very brief fortunately.  She kept telling me I  was going great.  It only took a couple minutes.  Then she said I could take a 45 minute break and go eat breakfast and have my coffee.   Oh I had a terrible headache and she said that was one of the most common SE's, that and nausea.  She got permission from the doctor to give me the antidote and it took that headache right away.  We went to the cafeteria and had a light breakfast and coffee.  The coffee really hit the spot.  Back to the treatment room, where they repeat the CT scans with the veins opened up.  They put something in my IV for that.  Finally we were finished after about three hours. 

Bunkie I am glad you have made the very difficult decision to sell.  Your parents aren't in that house, they live within you, and all the memories you hold so dear.  I hope that you will be able to let it go without too much trauma.  My mom rented and had a lot of personal things i wanted to keep.  My sister and I were able to get a few things before my brother sold everything to some company that just takes everything and pays cash.  I don't have a lot of her things but she didn't have much.  I think the house may be toxic to you in more than one way.  I hope once you list it you will feel a burden already lifting.  I respect you for hanging on so long in a very difficult time.  I wish you much luck and love!

Cindy count me in for all the cakeballs.  I am so happy to make them anytime, any flavor.  I will cheerfully provide them for any event coming up.  Nobody will be forgotten, I promise. 

Josie I know you and your daughter will be fine.  She is at a difficult age to begin with.  She has to test her limits with you of course.  My youngest son, who shares a birthday with Kate, just turned 34.  He was always a very difficult child to me, but his teachers always loved him.  They would sent home notes in his report cards and I often wondered if there were two Adam's in her class!  He was a real tough one that is for sure.  Still he graduated HS with honors, went to school and got his BS in geology at Montana State College.  Then he returned to Wyoming and went for his Master's in Laramie.  He got that and a job offer right out of college paying over $100K a year.....not bad for a 24 year old kid!  Today he is married, his wife is also a geologist and they live in a gorgeous home in the mountains west of Denver.  He just took awhile to get his footing in terms of me.  My Dh traveled all the time and I was pretty much a single parent.  When Daddy came to town he spolied them rotten.  He was more like a fun grandfather than a dad.  It made it tough for me to try to reinforce rules because DH just spoiled them rotten.  Adam of course loved his daddy.  I know he missed him terribly but he was hard on me for sure.  You are a terrific Mom Josie, don't beat yourself up for the small stuff.  Parenting is one tough job as you know too well.  Just keep trying with her.  You have so many valuable life lessons to teach her.

I hope everyone is having some fun out there.  Very hot here, supposed to be 102 here today and 105 tomorrow then 107 Monday and Tuesday.  Not my favorite temps and we won't be grilling much.  It is far too hot on that concrete slab out there.

Kate, you take all of us with you on Monday.  Try to remember this wonderful birthday and how much fun you had.  Cake balls will be ready first thing.  I hope it goes really well Kate.  I'll be in your pocket.

Sab I bet you are taking advantage of all the nice weather and hiking or camping or kayaking. 

Sew, I hope you are okay.  You have been awfully quiet lately, but of course I understand.

Hugs ladies, you have my respect and my love!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2013

Runfree, of course, she is human...I think you caught her off guard. 

Cindy, you've come up with some good ideas for getting a good idea of what's involved in selling a house as is.
    Bunkie, wishing you as easy a process as possible with the house.  When we get mad enough at a situation, that's when we usually act.  I hope it dries out there and you can move forward with the cosmetics. 

SAB, a phone call like that is something a mom does not want...I am so glad your daughter was cared for; but even more because she checked out pretty much OK.  You have certainly taken on a lot for the week - but it sounds like a lot of fun!  Is DD#2 coming back from Costa Rica?  She will have lots to tell...

Summer is only a week old; but for some reason, when it's 4th of July I feel like it's half over. 

Brookside, I like your wisdom and think you have offered some good thoughts!

Kate, so glad you had a great time.  You deserved the happy times of the endless birthday.  I hope you get to shop.

I was up most of the night with my mind going at warp speed.  I had to get up at 7 so no sleepy meds for me.  I took a photography course this morning and it was really basic, but I learned a lot about my camera. I can practice on the birds in the yard Cool

Janis, Sew, others, hope you are doing OK.

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Sab, Thank God your dd is ok. Enjoy having your family come for the holiday.

Cindy, my bedroom is white, and pink is my accent color. A lot of my place is done with black and turqoise as my accent color. so I don't want pink walls in the bedroom. I am only painting it an off white color. Still the bedroom looks fit for a princess with a vanity table and chair, and pale pink flowers. 

Brookside thank God I don't feel as bad as your friend. I am nowhere near hitting a wall mentally or physically thank God, and I am not implying that you think that. Physically I feel great today. Mentally I am doing well too. It would take a family members death God forbid for me to hit a wall mentally. However I do dislike chemo, and I am not looking forward to feeling crummy this week. I love what you said about however crummy I feel, my cancerous chemo sells will feel worse. Thank you for mentioning that, I agree. I have been fairly lucky with chemo treatments, compared to some. My doctor, chemo nurses etc. tell me I look wonderful. To look at me or talk to me you could never tell that I am doing chemo right now, and I am hoping it stays that way.

Runfree, thank you for the well wishes, and seconding what Brookside said about the ugly cancer cells.

Bunkie, Nevada and Arizona have unbearable heat this time of year, record highs in the 110's. The worst we ever get is 90 and maybe only 1,2, or 3 days a year. Today we have 76, but by next weekend it is supposed to go down to 71 YEAH! 76 is too hot for me, and I am running air conditioning today. 

Janis glad you are ok. When will you get the test results? Thank you for the well wishes and having lemon cake balls ready after my chemo treatment Monday. So sorry about the extreme heat you are having. I couldn't stand it.

Joan thank you for the well wishes. Sorry you didn't get enough sleep.

xoxo,

Kate

• justmejanis
    edited June 2013

Bunkie those cake balls are headed your way.  Enjoy every one of them!

SAB what a scare with your daughter.  How wonderful so many came to help her and she made it safely to the hospital.  I am happy she came out relatively unscathed.  That road rash will sure sting.

Joan I used to love phoptography and took classes in it years ago.  Have a ghreat time with those birds.  You might be surprised at how well you capture them.  Just have fun doing it, that is what matters. 

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Janis when will you get your test results?

• justmejanis
    edited June 2013

I am not sure Kate.  I hope by Monday he will call and let me know.  I am thinking this is a good sign.  If he had found anything scary I think he would have let me know.  I'll be sure and post as soon as I hear.  Thanks Kate!  :)

• joan811
    edited June 2013

It is good to hear from you, Janis...am thinking positive thoughts for your test results.
    More cake?  can we handle this?  Tongue Out

• justmejanis
    edited June 2013

Hi Joan.....I am feeling really good.  Now all I need is good news from this doctor and I will be a happy camper.  I still need to figure out what is happening with my bladder.  More problems there, but I see my primary, Kara, on Friday.  I am hoping she will refer me to a urologist.

I am going to make up a bunch of cake balls for your granddaughters.  LOL.......bet they will love them!  Cyber parties are the very best.  :)

• SAB
    edited June 2013

Janis, it sounds like you are working hard for good health. here's to a summer that puts all of these issues behind you!

Have fun with the photos Joan. Post your favorites! I love taking classes, it's a good way to inspire and reinvent.

Im thinking of Sew as well. Sew, if you swing through here collect all of your hugs!

Leaving to go see dd elder and bring her soup and ice packs. Then off to airport to pick up dd younger from airport as she is back from Costa Rica.

Dh has birthday tomorrow.  Golf, and possibly cheesecake in my future.

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Janis it is a marvelous sign that your doctor did not mention anything. They should be all negative, thank God. My doctor gets the results of my CT scans within 15 minutes of when I finish them. The hospital's radiologists  call the doctors immediately upon finishing CT scans.. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes or so to reach the doctors.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Sab, Happty birthday to your husband tomorrow.

Xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

typo happy and not happty of course

• joan811
    edited June 2013

SAB, so glad you have time to visit DD before the airport.  I hope you find her in good spirits.  So, throw in a birthday, and now you have a great excuse for cheesecake!  I think I could live on cheesecake....if I had to.

PS - I have had the camera for just a year and have taken many photos on auto settings.  Many "good" but few "great", if any.  
    I learned so much in 3 hours about how to use the manual features. 
    If I get any good pix, I will send...I just joined Photobucket and it now makes it much easier to upload here...

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

OMG major typo In a previous message to Brookside I said chemo sells. when of course I meant chemo cells.

• SAB
    edited June 2013

Dd elder was very banged up, on crutches,alone and unable to care for herself. So glad we checked it out. Scooped her up and brought her home. She was trying to be brave and strong but when she hit her bed tonight she just broke down in exhaustion and relief. Dd younger is not impressed. sigh.

• brooksidevt
    edited June 2013

Gosh, SAB, what a day!  One dd traumatized and in pain, the other (I assume) bubbling over after a lifechanging experience.  How on earth did you (and they) manage to meet both their needs?  And then the birthday today to integrate with the dd stuff.  Good thing there's a holiday coming--this year, you'll all need it!

Joan, how wonderful that you're using all those little dials on a real camera!  The younger generation will probably never do anything but point their cell phones and push the button.  You'll show them up!

• justmejanis
    edited June 2013

Kate thanks for the cheerleading!  I think you are right and they won't find anything wrong.  I am counting on it.  I am making your lemon cakeballs today, so they will be nice and fresh for you.  I'll be in your pocket tomorrow.  I hope it goes smoothly Kate and you don't get too sick this coming week.

SAB, I am so sorry about your daughter.  She is lucky to have you to take her home and help her through this.  There are times when they just need some help, and as a mother I understand.  My youngest was in a bad car accident while in college in Montana.  My DH and I drove up there as soon as we got the news.  He broke his collarbone and had deep gashes on his head and face.  I intended to stay just a day or two, but as soon as I saw him I knew I would be there longer.  I ended up staying over a week.  I couldn't leave him.  He enjoyed all the home cooked meals and just the company.  I am so glad you brought your daughter home.  Wishing her the best, and plenty of healing hugs to both of you.  I hope you have a quiet birthday celebration for DH.