Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited November 2013

Kate, not to worry.  Yolanda is clearly a clerk, or, if she's a nurse, a really new hire.  If this were something of any import, it would have been either Melody or the doctor who called.  At any rate, all will be cleared up when you arrive (bells on and all) later on today.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited November 2013

New2bc and Brookside thanks so much for the support. Doc didn't answer my email yet, so I still don't know what the test is for. Brookside, yes I think Yolanda may be a schedule planner os some kind of clerk, but doc does spring stuff on me. In March after doc called me to tell me that lung nodules showed up on my CT scan he had a schedule planner call me to take a pet scan, and that freaked me out. Then after the pet scan he had a scheduler call me to go see the urologist. If it is something he wants me to do quickly, inbetween appointments, sometimes he has a scheduler planner call, out of the blue. If doc doesn't answer my email today I will definitely find out tomorrow, because Yolanda asked me to come there to sign papers for this test.

My legs are still quite swollen. My right much more than my left, and more in my thighs than the rest of my leg. Neverthe less I am going out to walk in the gorgeous 85 degree sunny day here in Santa Monica. I am doing everything I can to get this swelling down. I am elevating as much as I can, and trying to lose weight quickly. The less weight in these humongous thighs the better. I've gone from 146-138 in 12 days. I am trying to get back to the weight I was in 2010 which is 115. Most of my liife before 2010 I was 105-115. I am losing weight even though the water weight in my legs is increasing. When the swelling goes down I will lose a minimum of 5 pounds just from that. 138-115 I still have 23 pounds to go. I need to take it off now. Doc says I can't diet whenever I have to take chemo. As God as my witness I am going to beat this cancer

I wish you were all here with me to walk in the beautiful 85 degree day

• new2bc
    new2bc Member Posts: 254
    edited November 2013

Hi kate,

Did you try the green tea with tumeric and ginger? You may not have these ingredients at home and it may be difficult for you to find them. I hope the swelling goes down but don't do too much walking even though the weather is beautiful. How did they find your bladder cancer? Did the pet scan show it or the urologist did some testing? Take care.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited November 2013

Kate, I'm enjoying picturing your beautiful sunshine, since today in New Hampshire we are feeling the first bitter cold of winter. I hope you got a walk today and feeling good. Your weight loss is amazing! I remember you said you are doing 900 calories a day, at least some days. I can't do that at all. My best day is about 1300, and usually I just try to stay close to 1500. I can lose weight on that, but it goes pretty slowly. I know you want to lose weight fast, and I'm totally impressed at how successful you've been.

I had my repeat CBC today, and my primary doc said to do the HIV test after all. Poop. The doctor's MA said, "this will give you peace of mind." I said, "It's my dermatologist who needs peace of mind about this one." I wrote "HIV test" on a pad on my desk at work, and then I kept seeing it, and finally it freaked me out so much that I crumpled up the paper and threw it away. But I did go have the test.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited November 2013

Kate newtobc is right. Turmeric and ginger work so well for inflammation and turmeric chokes off the blood supply to tumors. I would bet they want to check the original tumor to see if it has the characteristics they are trying to identify for the clinical study. Run, that AIDS test seems to be a grasp at straws and is causing you unnecessary anxiety! Why is so much of medicine like that? The more doctors that get involved with my father's care, the more off the wall his treatment is getting. He is taking at least two meds he shouldn't be and we have turned down a couple more. My husband is a doctor. Thank God we have him to bounce ideas off. A doctor wants to find an explanation, and nothing is making sense, so off they go in a very oddball direction. And more anxiety for you,

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited November 2013

RunFree, I hope all goes well with your blood work.

Kate, I hope your walk in the warm weather did you some good.I'll take 85° over 40's.

Gigil,I hope your doing good to.

I just got a letter from my PCP and he is retiring due to his progressing eye disease.I am so bummed.I have had him as a doctor since I was like 19 yrs old.I love him he never rushes you always acts like he cares and takes his time.That is so rare these days.Now I'm not sure who I'm going to see.

I came home to a sick kitty who is trying to pee in every corner I have.Not the litter box.She is going to the vet tomorrow.ASAP.I'm sure it's a UTI.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited November 2013

My Wednesdays are so long...but I only have 4 more until the end of January. Yay...After 2 tests next week, we will just learn about dinosaurs, humans and mass extinctions on earth.

None of this seems important when I think of all the concerns here.

I am hoping to hear good news from some of you soon.

• katehudson25
    edited November 2013

New2bc, Runfree, Gigil, and Josie thanks for the support.

New2bc bladder cancer was diagnosed from a pet scan

Gigil, I am stupid when it comes to stuff like herbs and spices.. Am I just supposed to buy tumeric and ginger as powders and add to food?

Runfree, I am sorry your test caused you so much anxiety

Josie, so sorry your kitty is sick

I walked 24 blocks on two badly swollen legs in the 85 degree sun today, and the sun felt so nice. Doc does want me to walk. It helps the lymph system.

Doc never emailed me about the test, but I will find out tomorrow when I go there to sign papers they asked for. Gigil I am hoping you are right that they want to check the original tumor to see if it has characteristics they are trying to identify for a clinical study. I am definitely not gung ho about clinical trials. I hate taking meds, and especially if all the side effects are not known. Being a guinea pig does not suit my personality at all, so I don't know if I would agree to a clinical trial. Although I never say never.

Tomorrow it is going to be 77 here. Doc's office is only 8 blocks away, so I will walk in the beautiful sunshine again. Might as well soak it up, because the temp is going down after that.

• new2bc
    new2bc Member Posts: 254
    edited November 2013

Kate,

I use turmeric as a yellow powder and I also use ginger roots and slice them small and add it to the tea. Good luck with your appointment tomorrow. If you can tolerate fresh garlic, you can add it to your food or eat it raw chopped in yogurt.

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited November 2013

hi there ... This is such an active thread that I only can pop in every once in a while.

Kate ... Re turmeric ... I take it as a supplement in capsule form, and I've read that it's better absorbed when it contains black pepper extract. I order mine from vitacost.com. Ginger is best straight from the root. Do you make smoothies? Just peel a good sized chunk (maybe one inch?), chop it up and add it to the blender. You're in groovy Southern California, you probably have health food stores in your area with the turmeric supplement and raw ginger under one roof (maybe a smoothie bar too!).

• RunFree16
    edited November 2013

Breaking news: my HIV test was negative! That's not really a surprise, but of course it's good to clear up the question mark once the blood's in the lab. My CBC showed a lymphocyte count that is a little higher than it was, but still lower than normal. I am supposed to go have another CBC in three weeks. I didn't get to talk to the doctor so I am not sure what she really thinks is going on.

• josie123
    edited November 2013

RunFree, glad to hearSmile

Hi to you Gemini  .Nice to hear from you.

Good news ...Boo kitty is doing a little better.We treated her for a UTI.The vet I take her to actually I have known since before he was a vet and I taught him a thing or two back in my Vet Tech days.He's really a sweet guy.He knew I was a little short on funds so he treated her for a UTI instead of charging me for it.He also gave me $20 off the office visit. So over all it wasn't bad.We used a long acting antibiotic shot .Thank goodness for that.I just hope it's not bladder stones.

• katehudson25
    edited November 2013

Runfree happy dance for your negative hiv test.

New2bc and Gemini thanks for letting me know about tumeric etc.

I was at doc's office today, and I still don't understand what this test is for. I was there giving a urine sample and did not meet with doc. I bumped into his NP and she said something like it's good to have this done now, and not wait till the last minute. I don't know her answer was so vague. I emailed doc again, so I hope he will answer tonight or tomorrow. I don't see him till next Friday.

I am going out with my doctor friend, Tracy tomorrow if she is not to tired after a surgery. If she is too tired we will go Saturday night. I am so much looking forward to this. She is like a cheerleader, and it makes you feel happy just to be in her presence.

• katehudson25
    edited November 2013

Josie, so glad Kitty is feeling better

• RunFree16
    edited November 2013

Thanks for the happy dance Kate! HIV was a pretty far-fetched theory but I'm glad enough to have the confirmation.

It's too bad that you still don't know what the test is for. In addition to emailing your doc, could you also call and leave a message that you want a call back? Just a thought.

• joan811
    edited November 2013

Runfree, so glad to hear your test was negative. Even if you expected it, I'm glad you can rule things out and move toward a diagnosis of your mysterious rash.

Kate, so glad you have a tentative plan for the week end. It is quite unsettling to have things going on that you do not have full information on ... stressing doesn't change anything but we all do it.

Enjoy the beautiful sunny weather and enjoy being outdoors.

Big hugs for you and everyone here...

Joan

• katehudson25
    edited November 2013

Joan thanks so much for the support. I received an email from doc earlier tonight. Here is what he said: "The testing is to better understand your tumor so we might have our best understanding of the best possible treatments for it in the future. This testing should not worry you at all. Instead, I hope that it is reassuring to you that we are getting all of the information we may need." I feel much better about it now that he emailed to reassure me. I am so blessed to have him for a doctor. God only know I email him too much, and instead of getting angry he is very sweet to me.

Ok I got that handled then about an hour ago the palms of both of my hands got fire-engine red with a rash. At first I wasn't particularly concerned. Then I went online and one of the medical sites said that wiith lymphedema if any part of your body gets particularly red it could be the sign of a blood clot or a serious infection. That scared me into thinking I might need the emergency room, so I called doc at 10:30 at night. It is the first time I have ever called about a symptom, I usually email.I was worried that he wouldn't read email this late at night. He called me back, and told me it is not a blood clot or an infection. He said it is probably contact dermatitis, and not to worry. I am so relieved. Hearing the sound of his voice brings me so much comfort. I was so relieved it is not an infection or a blood clot that I forgot to ask him what treatment I need for it. Does anyone know? I think it is probably something over the counter, and I will go to CVS tomorrow.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited November 2013

So glad you got the mystery test all straightened out, Kate, and hoping that your palms are lily white this morning, the better, of course, to hold your margarita glass later on.

Also happy your test was negative, RunFree.  Even though you knew it would be, there is always a tiny bit of angst involved with any icky test, isn't there?  So, although it doesn't really bring you any closer to learning what set this off, it's kind of good to check off one more potential component.of your itchathon.

Happy for your kitty, Josie.  Have you considered a return to vet tech-ing?

• josie123
    edited November 2013

Brookside, yes I have considered it but it involves daily Xrays and even though we are careful and wear our badges and lead aprons,gloves I can't help but wonder if the extra radiation would be all that good for me considering my battle with BC .

• joan811
    edited November 2013

(((Kate)))

Thinking of you all...

Am having another visit to care for my little grandaughters who I miss so much....what a blessing for me.

Gotta get sleep....

• katehudson25
    edited November 2013

Joan so glad you are going to see your gd's. Have fun. I miss my 5 grandchildren so much. I have 4 granddaughter's, and one grandson.

I still have the rash on my palms, and now it looks like it is on the soles of my feet too. I've changed soaps, but the rash is still there. Thank goodness the rashes are not itchy. Even though doc thinks this could be contact dermatitis ( he hasn't seen it yet) I think something else is going on, because it is causing my verins to look darker, almost green. I think these rashes have to do with lymphedema. I am seeing the surgeon Monday, and maybe he can shed some light on this. If not, I see doc Friday.

• RunFree16
    edited November 2013

Gosh Kate, what a very strange symptom--says the girl with her own weird rash. Skin is so bizarre! I hope your rash isn't that meaningful, and I hope the surgeon can give you some insight or hook you up right away with someone who can. Meanwhile it sounds as though it's not really uncomfortable, just a bit disconcerting. Did you go out with your doctor friend last night, or will you tonight? I love to think about the glamorous things you get to do in southern California.

• josie123
    edited November 2013

Kate this is a pic from Wikipedia demonstrating hand,foot and mouth disease.It's usually found in children but this is a pic of a 36Yr old with the disease.Do you have any lesions in your mouth or sore throat?
  • katehudson25
    edited November 2013

Runfree and Brookside thanks so much for the support.

Josie thanks for posting that photo, but my rash is not like that. My rash is more red than it is spotted, and more on the low part of my palms and the soles of my feet, and not all over my hands or feet

Runfree I am going out with my doctor friend tonight. She is picking me up in two hours. She is just what the doctor ordered. She is a gorgeous blonde, 41 years old, and the personality of a cheerleader. I feel wonderful when I am with her, and of course there will be Chardonnay and margaritas too. Not sure where we are going yet. She said we will decide when she picks me up. We usually stay in Santa Monica, or we go to Venice, Manhattan beach, and a lot of times to Malibu. When I can I will post a photo of her. I will ask her about my rash, maybe she knows something about it, although she is a plastic surgeon, who mostly does breast reconstruction.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited November 2013

Hi y'all

Wow, life just flew by me as I hid in boxes...been catching up. Today I refused to touch a box :) made a space for the car, met a neighbor, and porched...printed tickets, confirmed 4am shuttle, and dreaming of CA holiday festivities :))) hubby really likes this house yippee...oh when we return he will take drywall 101 hit garage wall with truck...cracks even into house lol! Life:))). Glad it was him not me!

RunFree - congrats on passing the HIV test whew :)

Joan - 4 more Wednesdays, but gd now yippee tutu dance!

Josie - Livestrong program :D enjoy ...kitty better:) ugh above pic:(

GiGil - yes, to the best of both worlds...fun while we can ...dreams:)

New2bc - organic, no gluten, vegan, no soy, naturopathic dr guides diet and supplements...eager to find out this next week how it's working.

Bunkie - hope you are doing we'll...listening to your body!

Kate - princess warrior with bling attitude...you rock...a true SoCal gal :) hope the leg rash all the garbage eases up...you didn't catch Runfree's rash...sending the best. :D

Brookside - wise gal...how's the weather...snow...GD:)

SAB - working for the weekend to hike & play...we need some holiday organic recipes!

Gemin4 - good to hear from you:)

Sew, Janis, and R&Rs - shout out ...cakeballs and mulled wine!

This move was crazy...packed Tues 8am movers come...closing scheduled for Wed 10am ..Tue at 5 pm agent calls...our buyers are still in underwriting....oh my, furniture in truck, just checked into hotel room...meltdown...agent arranged for us to lease house and move in per schedule...even paid our costs...:) wow! Talk about going beyond for client...relief...boxes will wait...leaving on a jet plane. Mammo Tuesday and then visit all my BC team over the next 2 weeks!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• josie123
    edited November 2013

Kate, enjoy the fun times with your doctor friend.Glad to hear your having some funHappy

Cindy glad to hear you are on the end of your moving journey.I am sorry if the picture I sent for Kate was a little too much.Hope I didn't gross you out.

Today we got the microwave returned and it was funny when I called Home Depot

They had one microwave of that brand left so she put it aside for us.

We left the plate that kind of holds it up on the wall so all we had to do was put 

It up and screw in the screws.And this time we plugged it in before hanging up.All the numbers work too!!!

• RunFree16
    edited November 2013

Josie I was glad to read that the picture was not Kate! I've seen some crazy skin pix as I've researched my rash in the last few months. Kate, I'm imagining you out with your friend right now, whooping it up in SoCal with big splashy margaritas and nachos. Yum! Maybe she'll have some thoughts about your rash, but she sounds like a doll no matter what.

Cindy, what a mess! We had a couple of hairy house transactions--buying a house from a seller who showed up without his wife, so it turned out he didn't have authority to sell; selling a house to a buyer who was getting money from his MIL in California, none of which was on the paperwork. Through fancy footwork and much frantic paperwork revision and phoning, both sales went through, but they each took about 3 hours. What a mess. I'm glad you've put all that hassle behind you and you can look ahead to CA and settling into your new TX house. We'll be in your pocket for the mammo, so be careful we don't get squished along with your girl!

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited November 2013

Hi everyone. It makes me crazy that Kate and Runfree are still struggling. Thinking of you both.

Cindy, sounds crazy, I'm glad it all worked out!

Joan, another chance to see you sweetie. I hope that it is easing their move!

Everyone else, I send hugs...must move on and be a good girl and pay my (medical) bills today before my weekly craziness ensues. I saw my bosses, bosses, boss the other day and he asked me if I thought the job was as described. I told him the title should be changed to "Mayor of Crazytown" before I could filter myself. Good thing he has a sense of humor (I hope!)

• katehudson25
    edited November 2013

Tracy, my doctor friend

• katehudson25
    edited November 2013

The above photo is of Tracy, my doctor friend. Isn't she stunning? She is as nice as she is beautiful

Cindy, Josie, and Runfree thanks so much for the support.

Cindy it sound like you have your move under control, and I am glad the move went well. Praying for a negative mammo for you

Josie, the photo was not too much. I thought it was sweet of you to post it.

Runfree I had such a wonderful time last night. Being with Tracy always makes me feel so good, and she calmed my fears. She said that she does not think the rash is related to cancer, chemo or lymphedema. She asked me about vitamin supplements, and I told her that when I started chemo doc told me not to take fish oil. He said it was ok to take it now, and I started taking them a couple of days before I got the rash. Tracy thinks it's either contact dermititis or a rash from fish oil. We went to a restaurant in Santa Monica called M Street Kitchen, and I had delicious salmon and Chardonnay. It was a relief to have fun, and not be concerned about health. Right next door to this restaurant there is a great pizza place, and we are going there the week after Thanksgiving