Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited November 2013

Yippee Kate! Ooo who...Happy Dance :D. So happy that you&your team have attack plan! Now go celebrate warrior!

• wyo
    wyo Member Posts: 165
    edited November 2013

Kate

This sounds like the best news for you! I am also thrilled you are a partial cystectomy candidate and no conduit!!! It sounds like surgery will be early January? plenty of time to get your holiday visiting/travel schedule going.

Everyone enjoy the weekend- happy to not be getting up at o dark-thirty for rads for 2 days!!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited November 2013

Happy news, Kate!  It looks as though all your ducks are nicely rowed up. 

Wyo, do enjoy your weekend off! 

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited November 2013

HOORAY, Kate!!! I'm so delighted to hear your news! You'll get to enjoy the holidays, then get that nasty freeloader out of there! Fantastic!

Wyo, that radiation grind is a tough combo with the holidays--but it will feel soooo good when you're done!

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited November 2013

Cindy, Wyo, Brookside, and Runfree thanks so much for the support. I am feeling so hopeful

Wyo I am glad that you will get time off from rads

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited November 2013

Kate, congrats I'm so happy for you.When is the surgery? Keep us informed on the rash.Biopsy? 

Cindy, it's cold here too.It's supposed to be in the teens by tomorrow.

I only have 2 work days next week .Yah me!! Our office is closed on Friday.

I wish I didn't have to use my PTO hours in order to get paid for my holidays.

WYO, enjoy your Rads vacation.How many more treatments do you have have left?

I ran out of my tamoxifen today and the pharmacy is out of the one I usually get.

I'm kind of not sure I want to get some from a different  manufacturer.I read on about her thread sometimes people have issues with some and not others.

I'm only going to get enough to last me until Wednsday when the other brand I'm used to comes in.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited November 2013

Josie, I know how you feel about using your hours for the holiday pay. I am one of the only ones in my department who has to be in every day (I have 2 titles) and I have to account for my time while everyone else just disappears, cancels their classes, etc.

Time is precious; and but we need the paychecks too. I am glad you are getting a break from the stress of work. Re: drugs --It is good to try multiple generics. Some do bring a different response. I hope you find fewer SEs with a new brand.

Is everyone better at your house?

wyo, I started my rads 2 years ago...the Monday after Thanksgiving. It was not easy working full time and driving 45 minutes to my rads appointment daily plus trying to prep for holidays and fight traffic. What was good was the extra days off over the holidays. But, of course, they got added on the end. I hope your side effects are minimal.

Kate, it sounds like you have a plan that will give you more comfort and hope. When life doesn't give us the best choices, somehow it forces us to stand firm and push back at adversity. You are doing all of that and more....must be that princess warrior coat. In your pocket, always.

Janis, you are missed...Sew too....

Who is cooking this week?

I just found out that I am going to the Macy's parade with my little grandkids...it is a wonderful treat for me. I cherish these days of joy. So what if i have to leave my house about 4:30 AM to catch a train to NY? To make it even better, DS from Chicago will meet us in NYC and join us for dinner and part of the week end. DH will go to CT and cook for us while we are in NY.

I am feeling quite emotional....my youngest son turned 30 last Thursday and I will be 65 on Monday.

Birthdays are everything... I will have dinner and cake with 3 of my kids on TG day, and lots of sticky kisses from my grandkids.

It is a time to count blessings.

• katehudson25
    edited November 2013

Josie and Joan thanks so much for the support.

Josie I hope you enjoy your time off from work. I don't know the surgery date yet. The surgeon is booked up through Dec., and a girl from his office will call me to schedule it. I am seeing the dermatologist Wed., and I am hoping to have the biopsy done then.

Joan the princess warrior coat has gotten me through everything. The ugly cancer can't stand up to all you ladies. I am so glad you are goinjg to the Macy parade. I am so jealous! I hope you have a blast. Glad your Chicago son is coming in too Happy Birthday to you! My daughter's birthday is Tuesday.

• josie123
    edited November 2013

Thanks for Clarifying Kate.At least you will have the holidays out of the way before the surgery.Good luck on the biopsy.I saw a man in church tonight that was bald and looking pretty weak.I started thinking about you Kate and all you have been through with your cancers and chemo and everyone else on this thread who has been unfortunate enough to have to go through that.You have been so brave.I think it would scare me to death if I ever had to have chemo.I just imagined myself  shaking.

Joan I'm so jealous You get to go the the Macy's parade.And happy birthday early.

Sounds like you have a pretty important job if you have to be in every day.You do get Friday off don't you? Enjoy every minute of it .You deserve it.And your hubby is cooking? That's great!! My sister lives in Connecticut. I haven't seen her in like almost a year.Part of me wonders if it wouldn't be great to just take off and go visit her some weekend.I don't have an extra $300 laying around so that probably not going to happen.But it's nice to dream.

I'm not cooking we are going to my sister's house.But I'll bring green bean casserole and mashed potatoes and then we usually go to my mother in laws for dessert.

• wyo
    wyo Member Posts: 165
    edited November 2013

The Macy's day parade sounds fun! all the years I live in NJ we never went in for it-

I have been working FT during my rads- I have frequent thoughts that I must be crazy to do it that way but I am saving my PTO for vacations and have not heard about disability since I applied so already lost money for time off after surgery. Only three more treatments left which puts me ending right at the day before thanksgiving- I really have so much to be thankful for this year that timing seems perfect.

Just noticed today skin in axilla is pretty brown and skin on the top of the breast and around nipple is reaaaally tissue like and itchy so I need to get done before my body and skin figures out what I have been doing to it!

I am working the day before and after thanksgiving- with one of my good friends from work. She and I always seem to be the holiday duo while the rest of the team is working "remotely" which is probably code for shopping the sales.... Don't mind as my daughter is in Iceland and husband is out of town too- 2 sons are doing the extended family thing but we will all be together at christmas.

What do you guys think of this- my kids all know about my breast cancer but my MIL and husband's sister and her family don't- I just don't feel like going through the whole drama of discussing it.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited November 2013

Hi Everyone. I spent some time reading and catching up with everyone. Kate, so glad to hear that you are able to get the partial bladder removal surgery, but sorry about the rash. It does seem to be related to the fish oil or something weird like that. Then you mentioned you had salmon on your outing with your beautiful doctor. Strange that it is concentrated on three areas of your body - hands, feet and face and not the whole body. That makes it seem like a contact dermatitis and that it is some product you are using in those three areas, like a certain lotion. I have a facial moisturizer that works well on my face, but makes my neck rash out something terrible. Our skin is so strange that way.

Joan your Thanksgiving plans sound heavenly. My DD and family are coming here to Minneapolis for Thanksgiving, so I will be cooking for the first time in several years. Both sons are having their own dinners, one with in-laws and another a quiet dinner before the birth of their child. Cole my grandson with SMA and the broken leg (now healed) is coming and so is his little sister Maya. It is Cole's 11th birthday on Thanksgiving Day. He was born on Thanksgiving and it is the first time his birthday has landed on Thanksgiving Day again since then. He has had such a tough summer. We have a wonderful surprise for him. When he opens his gift, he will find out that my daughter, my husband and I are taking him to Disney World the next day for the annual lighting of the Christmas lights. We will spend a few days with them there. We can all use the sun and fun.

My dad is still struggling - having one transfusion a week. He has two good days, but he is getting more and more frustrated and unhappy, then he gets weak again. This week he informed us that he was going to take the train to North Dakota to our hometown for Thanksgiving. We all knew he would never be able to take that trip, but he was convinced he was going. By today he doesn't even have the energy to think about it. This is taking its toll on my three siblings and me. My brother in Turkey is feeling a lot of this because he can't be here to help. He helps financially as we all do, but we are also there from day to day. It takes a village. Last week was especially trying. I feel so bad for Dad. He really wants to move on to the next place - to join my mom who died exactly a year ago. What a year it has been!!

Josie, it sounds like you are still struggling with your job, and Brookside your job sounds like a complete challenge. Joan and Run you are our teachers. I often wished I had gone that route. I love to teach, but all of the extra stuff that goes with it - not so much. I worked in an academic environment for several years as a medical student advisor and then a grant writer. Too many politics to suit me.

And itchy rashes!! I have itchy rashes too, but I know it is likely eczema. It rears its ugly head in the winter on my bod. I need sun! We are thinking of leasing a place in Florida for several months this winter, but I am on hold for Dad. We have all had our lives on hold for several months. It almost feels like we need to move on, and do the best we can for him, and get help when we need it, to care for him. We can't go on like this.

Bunkie how are you? Janis? Hi to everyone else. Is everyone getting those Thanksgiving shopping lists ready? I am looking forward to cooking a fresh, never frozen turkey. They are the best! Cole wants to decorate the tree, and he has some definite ideas about how it should be done! I love that boy's enthusiasm! Maya is building her own skating rink with her dad's help. They have a huge farmyard andshel is an avid figure skater. She makes the best of winter. My sis who is also my townhouse neighbor is heading back to Boston - south beach area for an extended visit with her kids. Yay for getting on with some normal life. Cheers everyone! Cindy that reminds me of you. Moving and shaking!! Take care, GiGi

• joan811
    edited November 2013

Gigi, you were missed too...and Bunkie...hope you check in here soon.

Josie, no my job is not the most important...my full time job is assistant to 5 professors and then I teach my own 2 courses at night as overtime. I do get lots of classroom time during the day and interact with many students which I like. It's the long hours that are tough...and I do work every week day unless I use my time. Fortunately on Fridays i am the only one around.

It would be great if you could make it back east one of these years....I know how hard it is when there are big kids at home...almost harder than when they were little. And life is expensive. I remember most of our lives we were trying to stretch our dollars to the next payday. Now that college is done for the kids, we finally have a few choices. (after 35 years) Hang in there! I am getting hungry thinking about your green beans and potatoes.

Josie, Kate, thanks for the early BD wish. Because I work 12 hours Monday, DH says we will celebrate tomorrow with dinner and gourmet cupcakes. So many turkeys here - I was born on Thanksgiving as was Gigi's Cole; and Kate's daughter is also this week! Lots to celebrate.

Gigi, your fresh turkey plans sound good...so bittersweet about your Dad...he must feel so frustrated but he sounds like a gracious man. This is a difficult time for him and for you as you remember the loss of your mother. I hope your surprise for Cole will brighten the holiday and bring joy. I just love the image of Cole directing the tree decorating...he deserves this trip to Disney and so do you. Make new memories; count old blessings. I hope your sister enjoys her trip east ... I just spent 2 week ends in S. Beach area, and it is beautiful. Just too far...

wyo, this will be a special week for you - Rads graduation and a holiday week end to celebrate! You deserve a rest after working through. Your skin should settle down quickly. I had some peeling at the end but it healed nicely. So glad you are finishing up.

Cold here....but clear and moon is bright. I drove through a snow squall earlier - it was a white out that only lasted about a half hour. It's a beautiful world.

• brooksidevt
    edited November 2013

What a great Thanksgiving weekend Cole will be having!  I wanna go too!  I'm hoping his PT has gotten that leg back where it ought to be and has given him strength and more mobility.  It must be so tough for your father, though, Gigi.  I guess he can't go, can he?  Somehow it reminds me of the peculiar funk rads put me in, although on a much, much lowere level--one day I feel like I can conquer the world (relatively speaking, of course), and the next day, or maybe minute, I can barely face a paper that needs to move from one side of my desk to the other.  Believe it or not, I think that has pretty much lifted.  Part of my success was dropping the meds that were supposed to help me through it.  Ha, ha to you, meds.

Wyo, my kids do pretty much the same thing.  We alternate holidays--one with all of us, one with the inlaws, and then we get together some other time to celebrate together.  Luckily, two of my three boys married only children, so there's no contest with other family members trying to do the same thing on competing schedules.  My third daughter-in-law has a sister and a brother, but her mother is a nurse who, for years and years, has always opted to work on holidays.  I think this is doubly hard for her.  Not only is she having an alternate holiday, but as she is a pysch nurse, her patients are extra needy on holidays.

I'll bring a pie (apple and/or pumpkin are always the requests, but my secret love is mincemeat, which none of them will touch).  I'm also going to make my favorite banana bread recipe, substituting a can of pumpkin for the banana.  Really yummy, a bit out of the expected, and very handy to grab a slice when I get up hours before the rest of the household on Friday.

• brooksidevt
    edited November 2013

Wyo, for me, one of the toughest things about breast cancer was telling people.  I knew for a couple of weeks last year that my lump was almost certainly breast cancer, but the official, for real, diagnosis happened to be the day before Thanksgiving.  At first, I thought that, as everyone would be together, it would be an ideal time to tell them.  On the actual day, of course, I found I simply could not bring this up on a happy holiday celebrating family, togetherness, and all that.  I told my three kids separately over the next few days, my bff within the next couple of weeks, had a very tough time telling anyone else anything.  I guess it felt kind of like Hester Prynne of The Scarlet Letter, with a large and brilliantly red, "BC" embroidered on my chest.  Just in the  past month or so, I've realized that I've sort of integrated my diagnosis into my persona and am getting more comfortable with it, even considering mentioning it to a couple of neighborhood people.  Haven't done it yet, but I might.  A year after the fact, my kids know, my bff, her husband and sister know, their wives and inlaws know, my manager and two higher-level managers know, and, recently, two of my clients, who also happen to be fighting their own cancers.  That's it.  Oh, and I also told my cousin just a month ago. Thank God, none of these tellings required drama.  That, I could not have handled.  Also, I am thankful that my parents and inlaws are gone.  As far as I know, neither of my exhusbands knows, but if they do, the telling did not involve me, so it's pretty much a nonissue.

I guess, Wyo, all this is meant to say I understand how difficult it has been for you to tell your inlaws, and that the whole family gettogether coming right up puts a lot of pressure (but not a requirement) on you to communicate this very important little detail.  You're absolutely entitled to your raw edges, and if the way you visualize sharing this particular bit of information scares the pants off you, maybe you and hubby can put your heads together to figure out a low key solution that protects the part of you that needs protection. 

• katehudson25
    edited November 2013

Wyo regarding telling your family, do whatever is best for you.

Gigil the doctor's have ruled out that my rash is contact dermatitis, but they don't know what it is. This week i saw a surgeon, dermatologist, and medical oncologist, and they are all stumped. I have another appointment with the dertmatologist Wednesday. To be honest I think she is too young and inexperienced. I am calling my pcp tomorrow, and see if he will take a look at it, and see if he knows an excellent dermatologist. I thought the rash was on my feet, but it is not. It is on the insides of my palms, and my cheeks and nose. It does not itch, but it burns my palms, and I want rid of it. Happy Birthday to sweet Cole. Yes, we have three Turkey's. Cole was born on Thanksgiving, Joan, and my daughter. My daughter's birthday is Nov. 26. She was born at 3:45 am on Thanksgiving, and it was one of the happuiest days of my life. I already had a son, and I so much wanted to have a daughter. I am sorry your dad isn't doing better

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited November 2013

Hi y'all

GiGil - what a special Thanksgiving & Bday you have plan. Your dad is so lucky to have you all working around the clock to care for him. Glad you have some me time. Hope you are able to get away for Sunshine this winter. Being a caregiver is hard...don't you get lost or forgotten.

Brookside&Wyo - telling is hard. LOL, scarlet Boob or Boobies! We all know in our heart who, when, how...especially during the holidays. DX before Christmas told my dad, son, sister and then asked that it would not be discussed during holiday...at that time waiting stage too many unknowns...they respected my wishes:)

Joan - Happy Birthday! Ooo who! Celebrate! Dance with those sweet GKs icing and mash potatoes on their face& olives on their fingers...memory making:)

Josie - a short week...scan scan. Time with family :) pass the green beans please!

Kate - all smiles:) hope the leg swelling & rash are better. Sunshine today....RT ?

Bundling up and headed out for a walk...snow on the mountains...the desert in bloom. Tomorrow, the grocery stores to prepare the big meal!

Missing some voices....

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• katehudson25
    edited November 2013

I thought I was going window shopping today to see what i want to buy Thursday night and Black Friday, but I bought stuff I wasn't planning to. I bought a black handbag, a powder blue sweater, and grey leggings. Gosh shopping makes me feel so good. I am starting again at 8 pm Thursday when Macy's opens up. The most fun time to go shopping is only a few days away YEAH! As swollen as my legs are i will be running around stores as an olympic runner lol.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited November 2013

Hello all. I just had time for the quickest of scans tonight, and so no personal notes. I just wanted to pop in before the week gets crazy to wish all of you a lovely holiday this week. I have extended family coming to stay on Tuesday, work until Wednesday, hosting Thanksgiving on Thursday, Shabbat dinner on Friday, Chanukah on Saturday.

It's hard sometimes, with all of our troubles, to be grateful but I am. Here's to finding light and love in each day. Thank you all for your support, positive approaches to life and sharing. It has meant the world! Big hugs.

• katehudson25
    edited November 2013

Sab have fun with your family for the holidays

• katehudson25
    edited November 2013

Happy Birthday Joan

• joan811
    edited November 2013

Kate, how did you know?  My very favorite cake is Birthday Cake - the simple kind with white icing and pretty decorations.  Thanks....

OK - I do not usually post anything like this but my daughter sent me this e card this morning and I almost fell off my chair laughing....so cute!  Has music....hope it opens...
    http://www.jibjab.com/view/e1O6VptSlBE8G4tEGMXB

LOL!!!

• joan811
    edited November 2013

Cindy, you always make me smile....thanks for the wishes...I can't wait for the long holiday week end.  

Brookside, This is a special anniversary time of year for you....much to celebrate as you kick the SEs from rads...and the meds.  Here's to the best years ahead.

SAB, I had exactly the same feelings about the support I feel on this thread....not the same on all the threads....you are all so special to me.  I love that there is always someone here...that we can say what is on our minds and be accepted...we can laugh and cry together. 

I am thankful for so many things and for every person I've met here.

• katehudson25
    edited November 2013

Joan I absolutely loved your card. It is so darling. Is it your photo? We have a lot in common, because that is my favorite kind of cake too. I hope you are enjoying your birthday

• RunFree16
    edited November 2013

Joan, happy birthday to you! Big day! I LOVE the e-card, so funny! I hope you find lots and lots of ways to celebrate. Kate, happy birthday to your daughter tomorrow!

Great point, Joan, about this being Brookside's anniversary. Brookside, I imagine this Thanksgiving might be emotional, or maybe you will feel copacetic, which would be great. Wherever you fall on that spectrum, you do know you've got a huge contingent of BCO sisters stuffed into your pocket tighter than stuffing in a turkey.

SAB, Joan, and everyone, I can't even begin to measure how much this thread has nourished me. I got a sense of the scope of it, though, just now when I checked to see if there were new posts, and Radiation Recovery didn't appear among my favorites! I must have clicked "Remove from My Favorite Topics" by mistake last time I was here. Withdrawal symptoms immediately! I've restored it to my favorites list, phew, at the top of which it definitely belongs.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited November 2013

Joan, Happy Birthday dear lady. I hope you have had a wonderful day. I love your card. It made me laugh too. I agree a white birthday cake with butter cream icing is the absolute best. Hope you had one today.

Kate hope your daughter has a great birthday as well.

I took dad to the doctor today and his hemoglobin is holding steady, so he doesn't have to have a transfusion this week. I am thankful that he gets a week off from thinking about his health. He was absolutely elated. I took him out for a late lunch to celebrate.

I am also thankful for all of you and your friendship and concern. This group of ladies is just the best!!

• joan811
    edited November 2013

thanks agsin for all the wishes.

Kate yes my DD put my photo on the e card. I just wish it were my skinny little body :-D

Kate my granddon flew to CA yesterday and tiday he called me from poolside at a hotel in Santa Monica. He says it is really nice there. Maybe you will pass by each other.....

Gigi so glad ur dad gets a break this week. How nice you can take him to lunch. I like when life gets uncomplicated for a moment in time. Are you packing for warmer places?

I worked through 8 pm tonight and I decided I wont do that again on a BD or other occasion. DH made dinner and all kids called. Grateful here once again.

• josie123
    edited November 2013

Joan I couldn't see the card.Darn it!! I'll bet it was cute.It requires me to get Adobe flash player for my kindle and I never can find the right version to download. I'm sorry you worked so hard on your birthday.Your right you shouldn't do that.Hope your birthday was special anyway.

GIGIL, I'm so happy for your dad that he could put off the transfusion.I hope you had a great lunch.

RunFree, Sunday evening I had a very itchy leg.I nearly scratched it off.It finally calmed down but I thought of you and the intense itching you put up with for months.I'm glad your better.Not sure what caused mine but it happens occasionally.Sometimes I think it is some sort of allergy.Although remember I said I started the different Tamoxifen that day.This morning I woke up with a very swollen eye again.It always the lid and under the lid.It's very red and itchy on each corner.I know this is allergies but not sure why.It's the middle of winter.Although it might help if I didn't have animals living with me that I'm like a 5 on the allergy scale for both cats and dogs.Of course the one cat loves to lay across my chest and sleep purring away.It's really sweet.I couldn't imagine my life without the animals.I just deal with it.

• RunFree16
    edited November 2013

Oh Josie, so sorry about your itchy leg! It is somehow bizarrely distracting. There were times I truly thought about how I could peel my skin off to scratch underneath. So you started a different Tamox brand that very day? Seems quick to trigger a reaction but it's got to be possible. Did you have the occasional eye problem before you were ever on Tamoxifen? My mom's allergic to cats too but she's had cats most of her life, just got two new kittens. She just deals with it too.

Joan, no fair having to work until 8 on your birthday! But it's great that you got a nice dinner and talked to your kids. You're smart to schedule your birthday right before Thanksgiving because now you'll get a long weekend! (Other than grading and writing handouts and making quizzes and tests and all the rest.)

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited November 2013

Afternoon ladies. I have about 4 pages to catch up on. I have been sick. Got an appt with a new endo coming up in Dec. My PCP found a group at MSU medical school. They are not a teaching school like U of Mi but she wanted me to try here first. This endo graduated from medical school in NC and did all his other schooling and residency at U of Mi. So lets hope I can get some relief on the adrenal stuff. I have been staying out of the ER because they are at a loss with my issues. It has been a bear.

On a good note my cousin, his wife and daughter came over Sunday for Thanksgiving dinner. They will be in NY for the actual day so we decided to celebrate early. I ordered a fried turkey and some pies from a special place. I made collard greens, candied yams and stuffing. His wife brought a honey baked ham and made her mashed potatoes, steamed veggies and her daughter did kiddie mac and cheese. It brought back memories of me with my mom in that kitchen cooking so much food. My cousin was always there too so we really had some stories to share. Like the time my cousin burned his afro off the top of his head with a fire in his car. Yes he was smoking and the car caught a tiny fire. He walked in the door with this huge afro with no top. Too funny. Afterwards we cleaned up and he went into the den and fell asleep with the game on...just like my dad used to do. When they said they were coming I was really not feeling it because I have been feeling so icky but it turned out great. Really made me appreciate the house for that day. I also realized I spend way too much time alone in here. Selling it next year will help that I hope.

Hope everyone has a good holiday and I will check back in after I catch up on the posts.

• josie123
    edited November 2013

BUNKIE, nice to hear from you I'm sorry you have been sick.Your thanksgiving dinner sounds delicious.I'm hungry now.I've lost about 4# so far on my weight watchers.Ive been working out twice a week too at the Y.

RunFree, that a good question about the eye allergy.It really started around the end of May.It has progressively gotten worse each time I have issues with it.But it's only one eye.I didn't start the Tamoxifen until late July.