Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited November 2013

Kate, how wonderful that Tracy was able to give you a rational and non-scary explanation for your rash, and yes, she is stunning! Beauty, brains, and she's a great human being to boot! I'm so glad you have a friend like that. It's important to have a Fun Friend, but it's a pure bonus if the Fun Friend is also useful in some other way, and she really is!

SAB, thanks for your support. I'm feeling really good and basically normal--but I am not really done with my rash, because I have to see what happens when I go off Bactrim. I think it's hilarious what you said to the over-boss! But I guess some people wouldn't take that so well. Sorry your job is so hectic. Mine's pretty high-pressure also, and I always work nights and weekends during the semester, but I have more schedule flexibility than most people and that does help.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited November 2013

Kate, Tracy is so gorgeous!  I'll bet the two of you have to beat the men off with your empty wine bottles!  It's so nice also that she's not concerned about the rash.  SAB, I'm sure your superboss understood exactly what you meant, and went home thanking his lucky stars that it is you, not him, who has to deal with the crazies.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited November 2013

Thanks y'all!

Left the house at 4:30am for ABIA our plane was going to be delayed so they moved us onto the flight leaving right as we arrived...seats 32ab last row looking at engine...I never...we had $$$ for seats up front, but zip it and went...skylink to different terminal at DFW board and sit...just paperwork...35 minutes later de-board...door won't close...think that's more than paperwork! Wait for an available plane...hi-tail back to another terminal...board over 3 hours behind schedule...ugh...but arrive at home and the floors are all done :))) absolutely stunning...baseboards this week and new carpet for bedrooms...then finish landscape around new front courtyard...neighbors excited to see...all the activity the past month...put furniture back in...set the tables...fireplace going...Xmas tree lit...cozy up on sectional...zzz.

RunFree, I will make sure we all don't get to mashed Tuesday...you can all be my bumper pads! Ha ha!

Kate - yippee for fun...what a knock out dr...glam girls hang together :)

Josie - zap some popcorn or peanut brittle :)

Ok nap time...alarm set for TV shows, but for now fireplace and Twinkie lights...:D

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• wyo
    wyo Member Posts: 165
    edited November 2013

Kate so glad your doctor friend also thinks it is some type of dermatitis and nothing serious. I had heard of something called Hand-Foot syndrome that is related to chemo and can appear after chemo is completed (weeks/months) the redness and sometimes swelling does resolve.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited November 2013

SAB, glad you found a moment to take a breath and make us smile.

Kate, the Dr. is gorgeous...and fun and smart? you make a good pair.

Cindy, sounds like you got 2 new houses there...you get to go "home" to a brand new look...nice and clean...great timing! Cozy up and do some catalog shopping.

Wear your biggest pockets without sacrificing beauty Loopy

Runfree, I know what you mean about working week ends and long hours during the semester. I'm never done...and then on the last day of classes I realize there is NOTHING to do after I plug in the final grades. Right now, I've finished 4 billion years of earth's history and have only about 5 days left to teach the next 500 million years. I need to relax...they won't notice if I leave something out.

I made the long drive home tonight in the rain and fog...had a 1.5 hour ferry trip to break up the 4.5 hours. It was a challening week end for me...alone with 2 little ones; and the younger now refuses to go in her crib...climbs out...but slept soundly with me. It all worked out but whew! I am tired. I am so glad DD and her DH are home safely again. They are both traveling again this coming week.

I am sure I have to simplify my life to be functional. I find I cannot focus and start to lose it if there are too many undone things in front of me.

Off to sleep...long day/night tomorrow.

• RunFree16
    edited November 2013

Joan, your time coverage makes me laugh! In one of my classes, I'm covering US history from Jamestown to today, but that's only 400 years, and the other time-based class only covers about 45 years! But I still have to remind myself all the time that I don't have to cover every little thing. I don't really feel done after I submit my grades, because I'm always supposed to be working on research to be published. But I do appreciate that the intensity ebbs and flows. I've always known I can't handle being maxed out all the time. And, like you, I can't focus when too many things are flying around my head. I keep picturing Tippi Hedrin in The Birds--which is kind of how my life feels these days much of the time. Your darling little GD sounds like a handful. Taking care of small children, even beloved ones, is so exhausting. When my kids were little, even when I just had one, by 9 am I'd be saying "Let's watch a video!" I loved them to infinity and beyond, but I could never adapt to their rhythm.

Cindy, I love the image of you arriving at your CA house to a lot of fresh lovely updates! It's kind of like being in some design reality show where you go on a trip and come home to a renovated house. That's a great reward for all you've just gone through to move in TX. Crazy awful travel day though.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited November 2013

Runfree, Brookside, Cindy, WYO, andJoanthanks so much for the support and compliments.

Cindy I am sorry you hadaggravation concerning your flight, but glad things are getting done at your new home.

Joan I hope you get some rest and don't overdo things

I have good news. I saw the urologist surgeon today, and he recommends that i have partial bladder removal surgery done robotically, and removal of my pelvic lymph nodes. He is my 3rd opinion. So now 2 urologist oncologist say to have surgery, and one does not. I want it, but I need my MO to agree to it. This surgeon is calling doc today. The surgeon said the surgery won't cure my cancer, but it will give me more time. Originally doc said I will at least live till June 2015 ( my GD's graduation). The surgeon said The surgery will give me at least a year after that, and most likely more. I asked if the surgery could be after the first of the year, and he said yes he is all booked up YEAH! I forgot to ask him if he is booked up Jan or Feb too. I will have to do chemo again to take the leg swelling away, but not till after the surgery, So the longer I can hold off doing chemo the better. I want more of my hair to grow back.

As for my rash it is on my face too. Josie, and WYO it might be some kind of hand foot thing. The surgeon said it was either contact dermititis or hand foot mouth disease. Before I started chemo doc told me to stop fish oil vitamins. He said when chemo was over I can take them . I restarted taking them a couple of days before I got the rash. The surgeon said that could have caused it too. I hope this clears up soon. It looks ugly on my face. I emailed doc again to see if there is something I should take for it.

I feel blessed today, because I am beyond stoked that this doctor recommends surgery, and I am still feeling the positive energy from my dinner date with Tracy

• brooksidevt
    edited November 2013

Such good news, Kate.  I'm particularly glad that he plans to go after that naughty, naughty lymph node.  Here's hoping you can get an early January appointment.  The sooner you have the surgery behind you, the sooner you can go back to normal activity.

I'm mostly spending my day on the phone with IT people.  Our agency merged with another, so all the computers are messed up.  Silly of me to expect otherwise.

• RunFree16
    edited November 2013

Kate, this is wonderful news! You must be giddy! I hope he and your MO come to a quick meeting of the minds and your surgery can be scheduled soon after Jan 1. And his more rosy outlook for you is just great to hear. How is your leg swelling today? I think it's great that this doc doesn't think you need chemo until after the surgery. Sorry about the rash on your face. No fun.

Brookside, I hope you are going to have your phone time properly compensated. Funny joke, no?!

• katehudson25
    edited November 2013

Brookside and Runfree thanks so much for the support.

I don't want an early Jan. surgery. The end of February would be best for me, because I don't want to start chemo before March. Of course it will depend on the doctor's schedule and how I am feeling. if I am not feeling well then early Jan would be good. If I am lucky enough to hold off until the end of Feb then it will be 6 months since chemo ended and 6 months my hair has grown back. Also, right before I have to start chemo I need to go to Chicago to see my family. Before Jan1 is not good for my kids.

Runfree my leg is as swollen as it was the last time, but thank God it doesn't hurt as much. This time the swelling is concentrated more in my thigh, and last time it was in my foot, and ankle, so it was harder to walk. This rash is aggravating. 4 days since it broke out on my hands, and two days since it's on my face. My face is all red and blotchy yuck. Thank God it doesn't itch. I emailed doc to see if he will prescribe something, but if it doesn't go away before I see him Friday he will probably recommend a dermatologist. Thanks so much for asking.

• rmlulu
    edited November 2013

Kate - yippee! Happy Dance for you! So happy for you! Fingers&toes crossed that your team will agree and the timing will flow so that you can dance right unto the new year and see your family. And the rash fades away...yeah no itch.

How does flying impact the swelling in your leg...compression hose? Exercise? Wiggle room on plane...I'm pacing and squirming all the time on the plane...

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• RunFree16
    edited November 2013

Oh, got it. Then I wish you a late February surgery, which also means I'm wishing for you to feel really good until then. I'm glad your swelling isn't as uncomfortable as before. Rash, rash, go away, don't come back another day! (No, that hasn't worked for me either. But a gal can try.)

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited November 2013

Kate,  I'm sorry that pesky rash has gotten on your face..I'm happy you got some good news from the surgeon.Too bad about the chemo though.I guess if it helps with the swelling it's worth it.

Joan ,sorry you had a tiring weekend.Little ones can be hard to keep up with.I remember those days when they would climb out. 

Brookside I hope those computer problems got resolved for your sake.

RUNFREE, glad to hear your rash is almost gone.

Had a very busy day today and was going on interrupted sleep.DD woke up with vomiting this morning at 4:30am .I made my hubby get up with her.I had just been woke up by the cat at 130.Then before I knew it I had to get up at like 6:30.

I didn't get my benefits all done for today.Gee I wonder why? Most were done but one  didn't know she would owe $117 for hers because I didn't get her benefits until she was like on the way to her appt.I tried but I can only do so much.Well my boss found out and came and talked to me about that.They are just afraid if they bill them they will never see the money.The lady that was supposed to help me was short handed and couldn't help .Im going in tomorrow on my day off because I have 16 bone densities Wed and no benefits done.I know I won't get paid but if it helps me not get in trouble or feel less stressed it worth it to me.That is unless I get what my daughter had.My tummy isn't sitting to well with my dinner.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited November 2013

Wow Josie you sound busy. Hang in there!

Kate, I'm tickled that you received the news you were hoping for. Your doc friend is lovely, and I bet you two are quite the handful!

Runfree and Joan, I was planning on complaining about an admissions presentation I have to learn (tonight) but it is definitely nothing compared to 500 million years, or even 45 :-) My problem is that it is sooo formal (my style is not well-suited) and the language choices are critical. Giving it for the second time to bosses and staff tomorrow.

Back to work I guess, but not before I pass out hugs and wish you all a good week...

• wyo
    wyo Member Posts: 165
    edited November 2013

Kate-

Glad to hear that your physician opinions are concurring. I would support your decision to schedule after you get your hectic holidays and travel done. With a partial cystectomy will you require an ileal conduit do you know?

• joan811
    edited November 2013

SAB...no, I think that your presentation is more nerve-wracking....I do not have to deal with bosses...there's no oversight in the classroom.

Runfree, that is funny that we are on such different time scales but with the same urgency to not leave out any detail. My students want less....not more. I love your imagery from The Birds - it's a perfect model for my spinning head!

Kate, wow, things are opening up for you....it is good news to hear that there are some things that can be done for you. I remember the first time you had the leg swelling when you were traveling...you were so brave...I only hope that you can get by until January or February without a lot of discomfort. It sounds like you are willing to do what needs to be done.

And we will be in your pocket all the way.

Josie, it just sounds so "not right" to me that they cut you from full time and then put you under the gun to do a full time job in part time hours. Try not to stress...just do your best work and put your patients at ease - that is important. And yes, getting the insurance and fees is important to so everyone can get paid....but there has to be a better way.

• joan811
    edited November 2013

Am already missing the little ones....I did not get to spend much alone time with the older GD but we made some memories. Charlotte insisted that we climb up high on the rocks for our picnic overlooking the ocean. I was hoisting our bags and coats up in stages, plus assorted stuffed animals and Caroline's bedtime pillow...then climbing back down to carry her up to where big sis was perched ....what a view....good thing I love rocks...and we had peanut butter sandwiches and warm chicken fingers (LOL)...and juice boxes.

Cohasset Beach Picnic

• josie123
    edited November 2013

Joan, what little cuties, thanks for sharing.Sounds like a perfect picnic to me.

Joan and SAB th banks for understanding about my job.I guess I just needed to vent.I did apply for a few more jobs over the weekend.Haven't heard anything though.

• brooksidevt
    edited November 2013

Of course you'll be paid if you come in today, Josie--It's a federal law.  You are required to keep track of your hours, either on a timesheet, or by clocking in. Whatever hours are recorded, those are the hours for which you must be paid. Not recording your hours constitutes a legal problem for your practice. If someone else is supposed to be helping you and cannot do it, the "failure to communicate," is not yours, but hers, or your management's.  Please do not allow yourself to feel guilty for her/their time problem.  The reason she is assigned to help you is that it is not possible for you to complete all the tasks involved with your scans in the time they have allowed.  No doubt, she has the same impossible work load as you, and is simply putting her base responsibilities first.  Perhaps management needs to clarify for her (and for you)that this is now part of her job, and help her prioritize her many tasks.  If neither you alone, nor you plus she can do this, then management needs to acknowledge that they are asking the impossible. This is an ongoing problem and it is time for management to either give you a few more hours or set up a viable solution.  Sorry for the rant--I don't have time to make it softer.

Kate, I could very easily be wrong, but I don't think they can start chemo until you are fully healed from surgery, probably 6 - 8 weeks, and of course, you can still delay the chemo if you choose.  If my thought is true, you don't need to combine surgery and chemo in your mental calendar, and can go ahead a get rid of that icky tumor when the doc has time, then deal with the chemo on your own schedule.  Whatever you do, I sure hope your leg understands that it's supposed to behave far better than it has in the past.

• katehudson25
    edited November 2013

Cindy, Runfree,Josie,Sab,WYO,Joan and Brookside thank you for the support

Cindy I will have to talk to doc to see how to take care of my leg on a flight. I always do what I have to do, so a little discomfort to go see my children is ok

Runfree did I catch this rash from you? lol

Josie I am sorry your daughter was sick, and I hope she is better now. I am also sorry you had aggravation at work

Sab I am sorry you had problems with your presentation

Joan your granddaughters are darling

Wyo I absolutely will not need an ileal conduit. Only 5-10% of bladder cancer patients that have surgery are able to get a partial bladder removal. The tumor has to be in the top of the bladder, and not near where urine enters or leaves your body. So, with a partial you only lose part of your bladder, and are still able to urinate the normal way. Thank god I am one of the very few who can get partial bladder removal. If I had to get full bladder removal I would never agree to an ileal conduit, because it's an outside bag, and that would make me miserable. For full bladder removal I think a neo bladder is best, because you are able to urinate the normal way

• joan811
    edited November 2013

Oh Kate, I wish you did not have to be the expert on these things....I think Brookside has a good thought to separate the surgery and chemo concerns. Speaking of travel, will you be able to visit your family? Will they be able to visit you in CA?

Brookside, how is the blended office coming along? It's got to be stressful. Will you be directly affected?

Josie, hope your daughter is better and that she did not pass her illness around the house.

SAB, I hope your presentation went well. Will you have a work break over Thanksgiving?

I love Thanksgiving....it's a holiday everyone can celebrate without conflict. Dinner at DD#2 in CT. I may be going to the Macy's Parade for the very first time...waiting to hear from DD#3 who is taking the kids to an NBC party in a hotel where they view the parade balloons from up high. DH is willing to stay behind and start dinner while we go. DS is coming from Chicago Smile My son in SFO is not coming and my grandson from NYC is going out there to see him. DD#1 will stay in DC.

There are some voices missing around here...Janis?? Sew?? It would be great if everybody'd check in...

• katehudson25
    edited November 2013

Joan going to the Macy's parade sounds like so much fun. I love this time of the year, Thanksgiving, black friday Hanukkah, Xmas, and New Year's. I am not going to Chicago for the holiday's, because I wouldn't be able to see all of my grandchildren. My daughter is divorced, and her children go to Michigan with my ex son-in-law. I am going to go to Chicago, before I do chemo, so not exactly sure when that is. I got an email from doc, and he said he spoke to the surgeon, and we will discuss it on Friday. So far doc is not for surgery. I won't get it unless he approves, so I will find out Friday.

I went to the dermatologist today, and guess what she said. OMG she said she was stumped, and not sure what it is. She called in another dermatologist and she didn't know the cause either. She gave meTriamcinolone cream. UCLA nurses were on strike today, so I couldn't do two blood tests that she wants. I will do them at doc's office Friday. I hope he knows the cause. Did I ever mention how blessed I am to have doc. OMG I bother him continually with emails, and he always is so patient with me. I have never known a doctor this dedicated, compassionate, and patient, besides being brilliant. I would be lost without him. It is a blessing to know if some new symptom comes up he is always there to reassure me, and ease my fears. It is also a blessing to know that you ladies are always here to support me. I am so lucky to have so much support.

• brooksidevt
    edited November 2013

Good gracious.  Another mystery rash.  And this one doesn't sound even a little like RunFree's.  Makes me wonder if there aren't oodles more mysterious skin things out there!  RunFree, so happy your rash is heading for the hills.  I'm feeling itchy as I write this.

Happy term ending to you academic types who have to spin the world really fast (especially you, Joan) to cover all your years, decades, centuries, and millenia.  With the two of you at totally different speeds, I guess we'll all be getting dizzy.  Or maybe getting rashes. 

SAB, do you get a breather between semesters, or just a new round of presentations?

• josie123
    edited November 2013

Brookside, I hope your itchy' s go away.

Kate, I'm so happy for you that you have such a great Doc.That's really important.

• brooksidevt
    edited November 2013

Good luck with your onc appointment today, Kate.  I sure hope he agrees with you and the urologist.  And the robot, of course.

Bunkie and Janis, you've been quiet lately; are you feeling OK?

TGIF, everyone!

• RunFree16
    edited November 2013

Brookside, not you too!!! I am so sorry! I feel like the Johnny Appleseed of itchy rashes. Mine is better, but I fear artificially so. Still it's a great relief to have it stop. Kate, I have found Triamcinolone cream to work like magic sometimes, but on other places, it needed a few applications before it started to make a difference. It's so great that you love your doctor. We're all with you today at your appointment. Tell him your BCO sisters want you to get the surgery!

Joan and Kate, I actually love this time of year too, despite the cold and dark and money concerns and the freakish stress of the semester ending while everything else is so busy. I would love to go to the Macy's parade someday, and even Times Square on New Year's Eve sounds fun, maybe once.

• brooksidevt
    edited November 2013

I guess I worded that post poorly.  I'm not physically itchy; it's just sympathy itching with you and Kate.  That said, I just happened to have my first annual skin check with the dermatologist yesterday.  I've got lots of spots of various kinds.  She kept saying, "This might be. . . ," and "I think this is . . . ."  Something tells me the skin people spend a great deal of their time with mysteries.

I'm glad, RunFree, that you're feeling better.  Perhaps it is a rash of one semester duration and when this particular group of students moves on, so will the itch. 

• RunFree16
    edited November 2013

That's funny about the semester! My itching started a little ahead of the semester, so maybe it will shove off now that we just have a few weeks left. I'm glad you're not actually itching. I sort of thought you meant that, but that maybe the power of suggestion was getting a bit too strong. I think you're absolutely right about dermatology. It's not a good specialty for people who need clear answers.

• rmlulu
    edited November 2013

Hi y'all

Kate Kate - hope you are wearing your princess warrior coat! It's pouring here in Rancho Mirage and freezing...missing balmy TX. Fingers&toes crossed that your MO appt went well and your teams plan of attack meets with your blessing. Now, enjoy TGIF cheers.

RunFree - rash itch...got my gloves on to type...don't want to catch anything...time is spinning! Wow, semester has gone by fast. Have been intrigued with all the JFK 50 yr programs...remember ringing a doorbell selling Girl Scout cookies and lady screamed through her tears the president has been killed what are you doing child...I ran home...during that time we thought the bomb might get dropped and neighbors built a bomb shelter...how could such a horrible thing happen here...history.

Brookside - skin check...ha! Stood in my panties as Dr goes over every inch with his magnifying glass...first test I past this year!

Joan - cute gd pics:) Ahhh family :)))

Bunkie, Josie, SAB, Sew, Janis, new2bc, WYO...shout outs!

Making my Turkey Day grocery list! So looking forward to family...much to give thanks!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• katehudson25
    edited November 2013

GOOD NEWS! I saw my MO today, and he agrees that I should have a partial cysectomy ( partial bladder removal). So now I will be able to get this God awful 4cm tumor out of my bladder yeah! My Mo did not agree for me to have my pelvic lymph nodes removed, and the surgeon agreed to that. My Mo thinks partial bladder removal is too risky for me. The surgeon is booked up till after the first of the year YEAH! I will have to do chemo again, but not till after I recuperate from surgery, so I am looking at February at the earliest to do chemo YEAH!

I still have the rash. Doc is not positive of whet it is, but he does not think it is dangerous. I am going to the dermatologist Wed. and he wants me to have a biopsy. The rash burns, but I feel so relieved that Doc doesn't think it has anything to do with cancer or che,o.

Brookside, Josie, Runfree, and Cindy thanks so much for the support.

Runfree i am so glad that you love the holiday time too. I would love to shop in New York in December. I love New York, and haven't been in a long time.

Bunkie I hope you are doing ok