Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited January 2012

Hi all,
    I'll be joining you next week -- 4 more boosts to go.  I had the first today, and I feel so tired and just want to go home and lie down.  Am at work just to clean up my desk...I am taking another week off after rads.
    I am wondering how long this fatigue lingers...
    Joan

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited January 2012

Joan the fatigue should being to wane soon and you will find you will get your strength back.  I hope you begin to feel better very soon hon.  It does happen, I promise!   It is subtle at first then all of a sudden you realize you feel better.  Such a great feeling!  Sending lots of healing hugs to you! 

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited January 2012

Joan, I am so happy that you will be joining us soon.  Welcome!

• Reality
    Reality Member Posts: 532
    edited January 2012

Hello to all - I had my last boost on Monday! I had a one-hr. drive, each way, so I am definitely relieved in more ways than one. I am itchy, red and tired, but am so glad it is over. Even my grandchildren commented on how much happier I seem to be. I will be seeing my rad onc next week for a skin check. I will also be seeing my med onc this month to determine when I will begin participating in an oral chemo research study I was "invited" to join. I like the term they use, "invited", like I am going to a party. I was "invited" because I am a prime target for recurrence - Oh well, the chemo may help "prolong" (their words) recurrence or it may not. I feel it is worth a try. I also made myself schedule a yearly exam with my gyn - I will better after hopefully receiving a clean bill of health from her....

• joan811
    edited January 2012

Thanks, Janis and Elizabeth. 
    Congratulation on finishing, Anandagram!  I hope the oral chemo gives great results for you.

• Elizabeth1889
    edited January 2012

Please wish me good luck. Tomorrow afternoon, I am having my first mammogram since my BC diagnosis.  I was fine until today, but now I am nervous.  I think I will need an ativan tonight to sleep.

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited January 2012

ELIZABETH, I am picturing you in perfect health. I hate going to the doc these days so I think your nervousness is very normal given wht you have been through.

Joan- welcome, do good to be done right? Let the healing begin!

Ananda-Glad to hear you are done with rads. What is the oral med you will be on? Will you take it every day? For how long? What side effects did they say you might expect? Here's hoping that they are none to mild.

• justmejanis
    edited January 2012

Elizabeth....I will come along and hold your hand okay?  I think all of these "first" milestones are so scary.  I am right there next to you.  Feel the love my friend!

Joan, How wonderful to be finished and know things will keep getting better! 

Anandagram.....I know you still have a way to go on this journey, but so happy you are done with rads.  One day at a time with this disease.  Hang on...and stick around.  We are all here to help.  I hhope you do well with your "invitation only" oral chemo.  Yes, does sounds special doesn't it? 

Big hugs ladies!

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited January 2012

Elizabeth,

I had my first mammo since surgery last week.  Didn't give it much thought ahead of time, but when I got to the facility, I burst into tears in the car.  Because it was a mammo that found my cancer, so this was where my whole ordeal began.  I am still a little swollen from radiation, so I was a big baby during the mammo too, but actually the squeezing didn't hurt as much as I anticipated.

When a couple of days went by and I didn't get a callback I started to relax.  Saw my BS yesterday, and all is well.  Whew, 6 months down.

Sending you lots of virtual hugs and support!  Let us know how it goes.

Pat

• Merilee
    edited January 2012

Pat, you are not a baby, you have been through hell and it all started there. SOOOOOOO glad you got a clean mamo! YES YES YES!

• eileenr56
    eileenr56 Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2012

Pat,  I just had my 18 month mammogram today (it was good).  In my facility after you are diagnosed with BC, they have you wait while they read it and tell you immediately.  They don't want you to worry.  After 2 years, you go back to getting the letter in the mail.

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited January 2012

Joan, you're so close.  You'll make it!  I finished rads October 31 and was feeling much better by Thanksgiving.  

Anandagram, good luck with your oral chemo.  I hope it works great for you!  Congrats on finishing radiation!!

Elizabeth, good luck with your mammo.  Mine is next month.  I'll be coming here for some hand-holding, too!  Hugs from me, too.  We'll all be right there with you.

Pat, glad you had a good report.  No worries.  I have started taking Kleenex for the car after my visits to the clinic.  Something about the letdown of stress when I get back to the car I guess.  You're definitely not a baby!  Cancer sucks!

Eileen, my clinic is like yours.  They read it right there and then I go to the breast surgeon for a checkup.

Merilee, I'm becoming an earth mother (or at least that's what my friends are teasing me about).  I made homemade bread, have gone organic even to ordering a quarter of a cow that is locally raised (on grass without hormones etc), and started making my own cleaning products.  Love it!  Now...if I can just find time to work...:)

Cheers,

Steph 

• justmejanis
    edited January 2012

I got mostly good news from my MRI today.  My doctor called to report no cancer in my spine, so whew, BIG relief there.

I do however have a big disc herniation bewteen my L-2 and L-3.  He said right now it is large enough to have surgery.  We decided to try PT for 6 weeks, and if it is not better then off to the surgeon.  I never thought I would be happy to hear that kind of news!  Better than cancer anytime!  :)

• Elizabeth1889
    edited January 2012

Thank you for the good wishes, everyone.  I survived the mammogram.  The left breast which had the BC got some extra views, but squishing that breast was only a little bit more uncomforatble than squishing the right one.  Now, I will be on pins and needles whenever the phone rings for the next couple of days awaiting the dreaded call back for more views.  I see the surgeon on Jan. 16 to discuss the results.  If BC has taught me nothing else, it has taught me patience.

Sending hugs to everyone and wishing for clear mammograms for all of us. 

• Elizabeth1889
    edited January 2012

Janis, I am so happy that there is no cancer in your spine.  A herniated disc sounds very painful, but it also sounds fixable compared to cancer.  Good luck with PT.  Thank you so much for all of your love and concern.  Sending hugs and prayers to you.

• justmejanis
    edited January 2012

Elizabeth.....I am so glad the Mammo is over but understand the angst about waiting.  It will be good, I just feel it.  I hope you just get one call with great results very soon!!!!  Big hugs, and thanks for your support in my wait! 

• Merilee
    edited January 2012

Janis......few! Thank God no cancer. You know cancer is scary shit when we are all relieved to hear you have a big herniated disk, but you know we understand how fortunate you are. I love PT by the way, I hope you do too.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2012

Janis,

Im so glad you don't have more cancer. That's a big relief. The herniated disc sounds pretty major to me, but I'm praying the Pt Works. Just don't let them do any unauthorized massage if possible:)).

Elizabetth....I'm so glad you've gotten thru the first mammo and do hope they'll get you the results soon. We do learn patience you're right, but the waiting is murder. :))

Pat and Eileen, it's so good to hear both of you got a good report too. That's what I'm hoping for this year....all good reports for all of us!

• MamaV
    MamaV Member Posts: 373
    edited January 2012

Janis - happy and sad for you. So thankful its not cancer, but know from my DH experience back surgery is no fun. I hope PT works, but you are strong sister! You can do anything!

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited January 2012

Janis, praying that PT works for you and so glad it was a disk and not cancer!  

Elizabeth, you made it through.  We'll be waiting with you for good news on Jan. 16!

Steph

• joan811
    edited January 2012
    Janis, Merilee, Steph - thanks for welcoming me across the finish line.  Tuesday's my last, and my skin is doing very well.
    Pat01 - I get tears whenever I pass the radiation center in my car - I will never ever forget that day....I had screening, then diagnostic on left, then US, then talked to radiologist, then had biopsy next day.
    Elizabeth, I am sure they checked you closely.  I am praying and expecting good news.
    Janis, so glad it's not cancer.  Sorry you have to deal with this - you've been through enough already.
    Have a good night,
    Joan 
  • MostlySew
    edited January 2012

Well, it's Ultra Sound for me. This little sore lump is still there so they're ordering an Ultra Sound with immediate biopsy if the US can't identify this thing. Scary. The Nurse Practicioner I saw today (doc was 2 hours behind schedule at 4:30 and I wasn't postponing this any longer) believes this could well be an inflamed lymph node (which they don't do anything about). I certainly do hope It's that. Naturally it was too late today to set up the appt, but it should be some time next week.

Oh, and now I'm full blown osteoporosis. Had been osteopenia for years, but apparently arimidex threw me over the top. Now they may want to change to Tamoxifen or just treat the osteoporosis. First we're identifying the current breast problem.

My house got very clean waiting for this appt. Told my DH tonight I might have to clean the house again. He actually thought it'd be better if I went shopping.....ha...another first!

So, I'm waiting again. And I thought all this stuff would be over when I finished radiation.

• Merilee
    edited January 2012

Mostlysew- you can start taking some type of anit -inflammatory while you while yo wait. If that starts to work, you will have a good idea that it is an inflamed node. So sorry you have to deal with this, cancer sucks and fear is its best friend and companion.

• MostlySew
    edited January 2012

Great thought Merilee, Thanks. I'm going to take ibuprofen right now. It didn't occur to me to try to subdue this beast and this way I'll feel like I'm doing something. Who knows maybe it'll be gone by the time the Ultra Sound gets set up!

Cancer does suck, and I'll either end up with the cleanest house known to man ( cleaning isn't really my thing) or I'll have gained 15 pounds eating comfort food......cashews anyone?

• justmejanis
    edited January 2012

Sew....ah., I am so so sorry you have to go through more tests yet!  I know how scary that can be.  I'll be right there with you next week, just let me know when okay?

Joan, congratulations on Tuesday being the very last!  We will cheerfully celebrate with you!

Thanks to everyone who stood by me during my recent scare!  I always know I can count on you.  I will let you know how the PT goes.

Have a wonderful day everyone!  Big hugs, lots of love too.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited January 2012

Hi mostly sew, So sorry that you have to do an ultrasound. I have osteoporosis too. Just recently I had an infusion of reclast. Was sick as a dog for 2 days from it, but you only have to do it once a year, and in some cases every other year. It does beat taking pills everyday.

• Elizabeth1889
    edited January 2012

MostlySew, I hope you will get good news on the ultrasound.  Adding my prayers and good wishes to everyone else's.

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited January 2012

Thinking of you all and hoping you have a peaceful weekend.... Hugs, lisa

• Reality
    Reality Member Posts: 532
    edited January 2012

Congrats to all who are finishing rads - Best wishes to those still in the midst of it. Thanks for all the good wishes - I having second thoughts about oral chemo research study....will keep you informed.

Sher 

• MostlySew
    edited January 2012

Thanks Merilee, Janis, Elizabeth, Kate, irw333 and everyone for the good thoughts. I'll get thru this, because that's what we do, right? But your encouragement means lots especially as this time aroun I dont even have the heart to tell my family or friends. I keep telling myself this must be just another small bump in the road (bad pun, I know) because what else could it be this soon after treatment? Ugh...cancer...

Kate, do you take arimidex? Or some other AI? Is the recast a new treatment for you? Guess I'll have to study all about osteoporosis and the hormone drugs now..... Thanks