Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• Myopiawmn
    Myopiawmn Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2011

Merilee- it comes off on the 10th and then I get the results the following week. I've almost convinced myself that it's nothing because I haven't read anything about radiation causing skin cancer and honestly I have scarier looking moles on the rest of my body. So I'm going into this with a positive attitude. Today anyway. Tomorrow may be a different story.....

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited December 2011

Help! So, at my 1 month check up following radiation with my new MO (whom I really liked) I mentioned the two new "dimple" spots (or divots?) forming under my breast. I thought they might be scar tissue as I had "tissue rearrangement" with my lumpectomy. The place is below where the tumor was. He did a breast exam and says the scaring at the surgical site felt normal, and then pressed on an area right above that and said "is the the spot?". I about jumped off the table as it really hurt. He said he didn't think it was too much to worry about and thought it was perhaps a swollen node. He wanted me to come back in a month and if it was still there we would do an ultra sound. That was on Dec 5th.

I have been dutifully ignoring this thing the best I can getting thru the holidays. However, now my fears are returning full force. I'm sure the spot still hurts and is inflamed. I see the doctor Jan 6th.

Think this could be lymphadema? I've got a touch of it under my arm at the SN biopsy site, but usually some lymphatic massage will take care of it. I haven't seen a lymphatic massage therapist except to take a basic class before initial surgery. The massage doesn't seem to help with this spot.

Anyone had anything like this? Words of wisdom?

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited December 2011

I went to see my surgeon today. I am having surgery again in January to take out these implants, put in smaller ones and to have a mastopexy( breast lifts). She will be taking out implants that are 275 and inserting 175's. I hope this will be ok. If not I can have surgery again till I get the size that works for me. I will find out tomorrow the date of my surgery. This surgery will make 4 surgeries in 6 months.

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited December 2011

Mostly sue- I am sorry to hear that you are having a scare- Fear is cancer's companion and best friend. I had to have an ultrasound a few weeks ago and nearly had a nervous breakdown while they were doing it.  I was so freaked out. It turned out to be nothing but I had really gotten myself worked into a state of anxiety and started having all kinds of somatic symptoms like a pounding heart and trouble breathing. I was just sure that cancer had gotten my heart and lungs but It was all from my anxiety. I hate Cancer! I have never been anxious before now.

That being said, the sooner you get a rule out the better. Could you call and tell the doc that you prefer to go ahead and schedule the ultra sound now rather than wait another week? Maybe they could do it before the 6th and you would have the result for your next appointment. When I was having my melt down at the Onc's  office they were able to get me in just a few hours later for the ultra sound. I think that they may save a few slots for emergencies.

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    edited December 2011

MostlySew- Thinking of you. Hang in there.

• MostlySew
    edited December 2011

Thanks Merilee and Ceeztheday......good thought about getting the US early Merilee ... I think I'll work on that. I am getting freaked, probable for nothing which I know, but because of that this spot on my breast hurts even more! Mental....I'm just mental....

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited December 2011

Mostly Sew......you are NOT mental!  Cancer has so many scares and I am going through one now as well.  I am sorry you are experiencing this and hope you find resolution very soon.  The waiting is awful I know.  I will wait with you.

I was having PT on my neck and the therapist noticed after a couple treatments my back began bothering me.  She went ahead and gave me two back adjustments.  This sent my lower back into terrible pain.  I mean, bad bad bad.  I was down flat for two days and in agony.  The worst was this week.  I had an appointment already scheduled with my PCP for today.  He is very thorough and honest and I trust him.  He told me that he was very worried about the sudden crippling pain because I have cancer already.  He ordered a spinal MRI which he normally says is 2-3 weeks out but he ordered it STAT.  I have it Wednesday.  He said he is very upset about the timing because he will be on vacation for the next three weeks.  I will have to come in and have a different doctor go over the results with me.  He said he is leaving him orders that if there is ANY abnormality of any kind, to get me into a surgeon ASAP.  He will see me the end of January.  I go to see the different doc Jan 10th to hear the results.

I don't think it would have bothered me so much if he had not seemed genuinely upset.  He said he is going on a cruise with his wife and he will worry about me while on vacation.  I told him that is silly, to go and have fun, but he said he couldn't help it.  Then he hugged me.  Rut Roh!

Sew also my cancer breast and sentinal node site are swollen and a little uncomfortable.  The node area especially is sore.  I think this is leftover from the radiation.  I see my BS late January.  Have to believe there is nothing wrong there.

I was so hoping 2012 would start a little better for all of us.  I am fine but a little anxious.

Sew....it will be okay!  Let us know as soon as you know anything, okay???  Big hugs to you!

• MostlySew
    edited December 2011

Hi Janice,

I'm so sorry you're dealing with even more issues. Your back, of all things. I think I would have been a total blubbering basket case if my Dr responded that way! Wonderful that he's so concerned, and that he obviously cares and is getting you definitive tests immediately, but certainly scary. Any chance the lower back pain was caused by the two adjustments the PT gave you? I sure hope that turns out to be the case.

Shall I get out my magic wand and just move us forward a few months, where we can be all done with these current scares and just getting on with life? I think that's one of the hardest things about cancer, everyone thinks you're all done with it (even me in my naivety) and it turns out all the doctors panic because of our prior history! The seemingly simplest thing turns into a nightmare overnight

Yes, we will wait patiently, you and I, to find out results of our latest scares and be supported by all our friends on here. Hugs back to you

• Merilee
    edited December 2011

Sue and Janis- Sigh....I hate cancer ant the aftermath. Just keep in mind that I have had two false alarms in the past month. Chances are good that you are both ok too. Cancer and the treatments do weird things to the body.Janis are you on one of the Hormone suppressors? That can mess with your joints and bones and cause pain. Just a thought. Neither one of you had node involvement so that is also a good sign that what ever is going on is a result of treatment rather than cancer.

I think we will all be holding our breath along with you, becasue we all know it could be us going for tests. Hang in there ladies, I am picturing you both in perfect health.

Hugs

• justmejanis
    edited December 2011

Thanks Sew and Merilee! 

Mostly Sew.....I dodged the thyroid bullet so yes, what is bothering you is likely nothing too.  You know I am right beside you holding cyber hands.  We wait together okay?

Merilee, I did call my MO yesterday and talked to his nurse.  I am on Arimidex but have only been on it a short time.  She said that she was 99% sure that there was no way the sudden and severe pain could be casued by the meds.She said she would not let anyone touch my back without an MRI.  My PCP of course agreed.  Hoping it is nothing but old bones, LOL.
  • Merilee
    edited December 2011

Docs never want to admit that something they rx'd is the culprit. I am here to tell you that I am on the generic arimidex and yes I started having achy bones after just a few doses. The symptoms have decreased over time. I have been on it about 12 weeks now. The fact that your pain had you flat out is different, but I have a feeling you will find it is not cancer. Nasty crap anyway...I hate that it worries us so much.

• justmejanis
    edited December 2011

I am on the generic Anastrazole as well.  Merilee, I think the biggest issue I had was with the timing of the PT for my neck.  As soon as the therapist did two (unauthorized) treatments on my back, that is when my back started hurting to the point of being crippling.  Whatever she did I feel woke up something.  I am sure my PCP is just being careful, and there is nothing wrong with that.  He did say he will not authorize any PT on my back until he sees this MRI.

• katehudson25
    edited December 2011

I want to wish everyone a very healthy, happy and prosperous New Year. I am an incurable optimist, so I know everyone will feel wonderful in 2012. It is our year to shine.

• justmejanis
    edited December 2011

Thanks Kate!  Best wishes to you too in the coming year.  I hope all your dreams come true!

• MostlySew
    edited January 2012

Merilee, I love your visual of picturing us in perfect health and I'm going with that thought. Thanks

Janice, when you feel me squeezing your hand it's either me seeking support or me sending you comforting thoughts. So, yes, we'll wait together. And I do hope your crippling back pain has abated and you're feeling better. I'm going with the thought that the small lump in my breast is just scar tissue attached to a nerve or something equally benign.

And for all of us here, I second Kate's toast for a healthy and happy new year, and let us all be the picture of health .... And no more scares!

• Merilee
    edited January 2012

Amen to that! Happy new year everyone.

• justmejanis
    edited January 2012

My wish for all of you in the coming year is simple.  Much better health to all, fewer scares, and a new appreciation that we are all still around.  We are always here for one another and that means so much to me.  When I am down, you never fail to cheer me.  Thanks all for that.  The love I feel here is genuine.  The love I feel for you special friends is also very real.  I hope you know I much I care about all of you.

HUGS all around, and an abundance of love to help you through the difficult times.

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited January 2012

Janis, Your words are so beautiful.  It is a privilege to be here for everyone and to have everyone here for me.  Thank you, dear friends and Happy New Year.

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited January 2012

Happy New Year Everyone....

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited January 2012

Oh, ladies, you are all in my heart and in my prayers.  I think we are all going to be hypervigilant from now on.  It seems like everything any of you say, I want to say, ME TOO!

I am so blessed to have this forum and have all of you to share with.  I am praying for health and happiness and peace in 2012 for all of us.

Happy New Year! 

• justmejanis
    edited January 2012

Steph...thank you!  I know you are right, we are all here for one another and that is such a wonderful feeling.  I think of all of you and wish for nothing but great news and terrific health to all.  It seems there is always something for someone.  I plan to stick around and be here for all of you.  This forum is fantastic.  I am happy to know you great ladies.

Hugs to all...........

• MamaV
    MamaV Member Posts: 373
    edited January 2012

Hugs to sew and Janis ... Scares are the worst part of living with this! I will continue to check in here every day or so to pray for and encourage whomever's turn it is!

Here's to a healthy 2012 and to quote Janis "fewer scares!"

• justmejanis
    edited January 2012

Thanks MamaV.  You are such a doll and your poor body has been through so much.  I wish you a beautiful year, pain free and scare free.  Anyone here who needs support, hugs, just need to vent, I am here as well.  I will PM my phone number to anyone who just needs to talk.  Everyone here has been so wonderful and supportive to me.  I think you are an amazing group of strong and kind ladies.  Love to all!

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited January 2012

Mostlysew and Janice thinking of you both and praying things go well...Let us know. We all will worry about you till you get the results...I am truly blessed and so Thankful for you all...

• MostlySew
    edited January 2012

Irw, mama V, Steph, Elizabeth, Janice and everyone,thanks for all the words of encouragement. My appt remains late Friday afternoon, but I'm preparing by deciding that I SHOULD get an Ultra sound, because the alternative of mamo still sounds painful to me! At this point I'll probably be disappointed if the doc doesn't order one ( how's that for contrary?).

And, to keep my mind off the whole thing, I'm having 10 to 12 women here for a fiber arts day (meaning bring some kind of hand work and sit and gab) on Thursday. Should be great fun, but the house is a wreck! Cleaning these past 6 months has been either impossible or totally down my list of things to do......so, it's spring cleaning early for me. Does keep my mind off this painful lumpy spot which likes to make its presence known.

So, just as the New Year does....I progress along. Thanks everybody and I'll report Friday evening, California time.

• Merilee
    edited January 2012

Sue-Great Job keeping your self positive and busy- you rock.

My stuff never showed up on Mamo's so I always go for the ultra sound. That way you can rule it out with certainty.

The art party sounds great

• justmejanis
    edited January 2012

IRW...thatnks for the prayers.  Sharing and caring...it means more than you know.

Sew I am so glad that you are having a gal pal party Thursday.  It sounds fun and wish i could attend.  of course will be with you on Friday.  Count on that!

Merilee....I hope you are doing great after your last scare.  Those should not be allowed!

Love, hugs to all!

• katehudson25
    edited January 2012

My surgery for a maxopexy( breast lifts), taking out implants and putting in smaller ones will be Jan 19. Wish me luck. This will make 4 surgeries in 6 months

• katehudson25
    edited January 2012

Irw I just sent you a private message. Sorry it took me so long to answer yours. I just noticed it today.

• Pegs
    Pegs Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2012

you might want to look into emu oil, its not greasy like aquaphor and works great, it absorbs very quickly and all though i found after i had a pretty bad burn from rads, i do believe it helped with the healing.