Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited February 2014

Sew, that's a grand idea!!!! Now where's the" like " button?

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited February 2014

Oh good, a girl after my own heart.......by the way, Josie, I had a dexa scan last month and thought of you.  The office seemed nice and calm and the tech definitely does not do the insurance/paper work.  Maybe you should move out here to Ca along with Bunkie........

• josie123
    edited February 2014

I would love to visit but move there? Not sure about that.Yes it seems a lot of the facilities that do radiology aren't necessarily concerned about if your dexa will be covered by insurance.They just have you sign a release stating your responsible if it's not covered.And the benefit for having it done at a facility instead of your doctor's office is different.The insurance has different benefits.I had a patient tell me the other day that she was charged a lot more for it and wished she had it done at the office.I'm sorry I Just assumed you had it done at a imaging center or was it at your doctor's office?

• MostlySew
    edited February 2014

it was an imaging center.  And they do check insurance etc before it's done, it's just not the x-Ray tech doing the checking.  I think the doctors I use out here all have the imaging etc done at some sort of facility, except the orthopedic offices do their own.  Insurance is a strange bear....amazing anyone can even begin to understand how to bill anything!

I'm catching up on the opening ceremony from last night, then I'm watching figure skating taped from the middle of the night.  At the risk of offending people, I sure wish the announcer from the opening ceremony wasn't as negative about Russia.  This is not supposed to be about politics, but kids from all countries joining in one huge sports arena.  I may mute the sound and just enjoy the show.....

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited February 2014

I will be watching with you Mostly!  Housework be damned too!  Loopy

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited February 2014

Sew it is snowing here and snowed several inches overnight.  A perfect day for cuddling on the couch with a blanket and a Golden Retriever or two.  We just got through giving Murphy and Sampson a good paw trim.  The hair between their pads gets so long so when they play in the snow they collect snowballs in their feet. 

I am heading out to do some shoveling, DH and I do it together so it goes a bit quicker.  We have a large corner lot and there is so much to shovel! 

I hope everyone stays warm and has a safe days.  Enjoy your Saturday, no matter what you do!

• MostlySew
    edited February 2014

BigD.....good plan, dust bunnies are sort of cute, in my opinion Winking  I see you're pretty new at this BC  stuff, and I'm glad you found us but sorry you've got BC. I expect radiation will be in your future, and we're all pros at getting thru that, so be sure to come join us. Join us even if you don't have radiation as we love having people join us.  If there are any questions you've got this is a superb website for learning as much as you want, and there's usually someone on some thread ready to help out...or at least offer an opinion.  Go Olympics....we're about to watch women's ski jumping on tape from last night

Hey Janis, I'm going to have to settle for cuddling with 2 very bored kitties who hate the rain since I'm lacking any puppies, fluffy or otherwise.  Take it easy with the shoveling, although it sounds like a great upper body work out.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited February 2014

How many days has it been since we've heard from Kate?  So worried.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited February 2014

Kate I am worried!!!

I have been in bed all day and I noticed when I do that I am really weak and stiff all day. So I cleaned the microwave and did a load of laundry. I am worthless today. It is cold..... natch because it is not snowing. Tomorrow will be 24 and it will snow. This winter has to go.

Got a FB message today that I lost another good friend to cancer. My friend in NM found out she had pancreatic cancer this summer after 3 bouts with BC. I knew it was a hard fight and she tried but her body gave out. Very sad today so that is why I am in bed. We all keep asking what was in those ATT buildings that so many of us have or had cancer. Makes you go hummmm. Especially in operator services with those old PCs in front of us all day everyday. I am sure there is no proof but just feels weird.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited February 2014

so sorry you lost a friend, Bunkie.  I know it feels like a piece of you is gone when a longtime compadre passes on, especially after such a long fight. 

Welcome BigDBeating.  I guess you're still recovering from surgery?  Whatever you're feeling, most of us have felt something very much the same.

I have no dog, no cat, and not even chickens any more.  It's just me and the woodstove here, hoping to hear all is well with Kate.

• MostlySew
    edited February 2014

Bunkie, I'm sorry to hear about your friend.  It is always so sad when we loose friends and loved ones.  Somehow it seems to make life that much more precious.  

• josie123
    edited February 2014

BUNKIE, I'm sorry you lost your friend.I hope your feeling better soon.

Brookside, sounds pretty lonelyScared

I didn't get anything done at home today either.Just didn't feel great.My back pain last night turned into a tummy ache and just a general achy feeling today.I'm fine as long as I don't eat.Oh well, such is life we can't feel  well all the time.But we did fix the dryer today so that's a plus.Hubby did most of the work but I helped.

• justmejanis
    edited February 2014

Welcome to the club Big D from Dallas.  We are all pretty experienced with this cancer stuff by now.  If you have any questions or just need to talk, we are pretty good at listening. 

Kate I just finished up a batch of fresh lemon cake balls.  I think they are my best ever.  Very lemony!  They will be ready for you as soon as you feel up to having some.  I hope you are quietly mending.  With all the good news you received I bet you are sleeping much better.  :)

Still snowing here but I can't complain, we don't get a lot here like my friends back east.  C'mon spring, hurry!  :)

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited February 2014

Hi y'all

BigDBeating - welcome and speedy healing! TX Hill Country girl here!

Janis - yummm, I can smell those warm cake balls:). Load up the pockets...

Sew - love opening ceremonies :) today is 68 blue skies so outside soaking it up!  Wish we had a couple of furry friends to warm up the couch!  Enjoy:) DS&DIL were at Vancouver Olympics  fun time.

Bunkie - so sorry for your loss...good byes are hard..curl up and play some music that reminds you of a crazy fun time with your friend.  Will your home be on the market by summer?  Hope CA is in your future.

Susannah - yes, concern by the silence...does anyone have another means to contact our Kate?  Call the hospital?  Ok, keeping fingers&toes crossed...good thoughts.

Josie - sorry you are not feeling good...so you do dryer repairs...go girl :) 

Joan - TGIF! Happy weekend.  Nice of hubby to hang around for a ride home.  Just keep telling yourself...Spring Break...SB:) at least presidents days is a few days away:)

Brookside - alone can be a good thing:) hope family us close and the grand babes :) just need a good wood supply ...keep warm!

GiGil - hope you 2 are feeling better...no medical issues permitted on get-a-ways especially extended:)

Wyo - resident RN keep us calm about Kate.  Have you gone to the SF Zoo for Lions feeding time?  It is very cool, hypnotic, the roar between the cats and their eye contact...go interesting...

SAB - how's the book...ready for print...ebooks?  Or what's for dinner? Need to post a weeks worth of meals...

April - won't your MO try another AI?  Seems line you should get a 1 month vacation journal your body than try another...wheeze need a break!

Today was gym day...Ooo who!  Felt so good:) box break...still NO toaster, blender, but I purchase new ones...just gave up! I'm going to light the fireplace, make a pot of tea, and check dvr for Doc Martin...I need a laugh..Downtown Abby another time...

Kate Kate come out to play :) pockets full of love!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• wyo
    wyo Member Posts: 165
    edited February 2014

Hi all

I guess I am just as worried about not hearing from Kate as all of you are.  I went back and read through her posts and she seemed to be up and ambulating, working on the pain control though not advanced to a regular diet and no word about the bladder catheter. That was a week ago tomorrow. 

With all the rules about HIPPA even if we knew her full name and where she was we would not be able to get any information from the hospital without being family members and even then its almost impossible. We should be better at waiting from our breast cancer journey but I know I am not. I think it is possible that there was some type of unanticipated event or set-back and getting on the internet has not been the top priority for Kate this week.  That said- lets stay positive, there could be lots of reasons why she hasn't been posting we have to believe she is in good hands with very influential friends and doctors who have provided her care for many years and know her history inside and out. 

I am not terribly good at prayers but I found a nice poem that I think captures our Kate 

Amazing Strength

Just wanted to know how you're feeling,
    As I sit here and think of your progress,
    It takes a lot of time, the process of healing,
    I hope this poem helps with some of your stress.

I am amazed at your internal strength,
    Through it all, your positivity remains,
    You're not deterred by magnitude or length,
    Nor all your obstacles and physical pains.

You have taught me about the meaning of hope,
    I never hear you fuss or complain,
    One step at a time, you focus and cope,
    When you get better, we'll dance in the rain.

by AnitaPoems.com

• BigDBeatingBigC
    edited February 2014

Thanks for the welcomes, changed my name recently.  It has been a long couple of months for me.  Having a bone scan done on Monday, then on the 18th the big meeting with my MO where I get the results of that test plus the Bracha I had done and the Oncotype as well.  RO waiting to see as well what the tests say before starting treatment in case chemo is necessary.  My MO planning on putting me on Femara for 10 years - yikes!!!!  That is a long time.

I always wanted to know if I had the Bracha mutation, now, finally, after all this time, I will know.  Then I can make additional decisions from that point.  Also being sent to a neurologist later this month as well for other problems I am having.  Whether or not the news is good, I know I can come in here and find the support and sense of real sisterhood among all of you.  {{{{{{{squeezing you all tight}}}}}}}} Cindy, think of you often as well.  Hope you are well over there in the beautiful Hill Country.  I have not run into Kate yet, hope she is okay, will add her to my prayer list.

• MostlySew
    edited February 2014

Big D, sounds like you've got a good plan and an upbeat attitude and both of those are so important.  Good for you, girl.  it's good you're getting all the tests done now (Braca and onco type) because then you won't worry later that it should have been done.  I personally think taking the Femara for 10 years is a great idea.  I'm hoping to continue taking my Arimidex for 10 years as I like feeling that I'm continuing to fight off cancer.  Sounds like you'll have yet another busy month this month, but for me that's what active cancer treatment is....hurry up and wait.  Singing

• BigDBeatingBigC
    edited February 2014

You are so right, Sew.  I look forward to where I will be in a year, I know this is the rough time, learning about the disease, making decisions, waiting for this test and that test.  Time crawls when you are waiting but I am glad you said you are taking Arimidex for 10 years.  Most of what I have read in here is 5 year treatments, but my MO told me he has started insisting on ten full years.  Hopefully SE's will be manageable but if I need it for that long, and they can give me another 10 years, I am happy to take it.  I can get a lot done with my life over 10 years.  God willing.  I hope to be starting rads in March, but again, have to see what happens with these tests and go from there.  You have a nice evening.  {{{Hugs}}}

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2014

Welcome, Big D. It is an emotional time of ups and downs and as Sew says, waiting.  As you feel stronger and return to a mostly "normal" life, these appointments remind us of what we've been through.

Kate, if you are lurking, you see how many are concerned and thinking of you.  Wishing you well...

Wyo, that is a very appropriate poem...nicely done. 

Bunkie, so sorry to hear about your friend.  It must be difficult for you.  Rest is good for body and soul...stay warm.

Janis, eeeks I was so worried when you said you were shoveling...and DH too....do you have sidewalks that have to be done?  I live on a corner too but we do not have sidewalks so we don't shovel.  And we have 4WDs to get in and out of the driveway.  We have to shovel out the mailbox on the curb.  Be careful...

Sew, I agree with you...I feel quite uncomfortable when announcers or moderators give opinions or show bias.  I thought the opening ceremonies were really beautiful.  I am glad to hear you are getting the rain so badly needed.  I just hope it doesn't come as a deluge that causes problems. 
    Hmmm am watching the Luge right now, and one USA team member is from West Islip, not too far from me.

Cindy, my DD was at the Olympics in Vancouver (she used to work for NBC).  I was quite jealous...in fact, I think I was at her house babysitting.   Is it still cold in TX hill country?

Josie, feel better.

I can't get warm....no furry friends here...I guess I'll put on the DVR and go to bed.

• justmejanis
    edited February 2014

Joan I actually enjoy the shoveling, but it is a ton of work.  Our house has the largest lot in the subdivision at just under one half acre. It is great for the dogs to be able to really stretch and run, but shoveling is another matter.  Then you realize how large it is.  I really worry about Chuck doing it and we try to work together and pace ourselves. We have to have the sidewalks clear within 24 hours of snowfall, that is the law.  The boyz of course love it, more running and playing time for them.

Big D I found the cancer journey to be much less frightening as I originally anticipated.  Radiation didn't bother me, I was the perky one in the waiting room, the perpetual cheerleader.  You will get great advice here and hopefully the time will pass quickly and painlessly.  Side effects from the AI's can be minimal and very manageable.  You sound like you are a positive person and that will help you so much. The best news is you are among friends here.  You will find a ton of cheerleaders to help you along the way.

Stay warm and safe my friends.  Thinking of you all.  :)

• MostlySew
    edited February 2014

Brookside, lucky you don't have chickens any more....they don't cuddle well  Loopy  Hope you're keeping warm.

• josie123
    edited February 2014

Big D welcome to you.

Joan,  and Cindy Thanks for the warm wishes.I am happy to report that my tummy is better.I finally felt like eating around 10 pm so I had a few crackers and cheese and some microwave popcorn.I slept in until 9:45 am.I never sleep in like that.That's crazy but I guess I needed it.,And I do think it's ok to sleep in once in a while.

Happy Sunday to you all.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited February 2014

Still no Kate? Now I am getting worried!

Ladies, sorry I can't do individual shout-outs any more cause I limit my typing due to the pain in my hands from exemestane (EVIL DRUG!) so am debating quitting.

Cindy, my MO will not use any other AI,only tamoxifen and my family has a history of strokes and blood clots plus I used to smoke (not for almost 10 months now though YEAH!) so not an option. AI's are not approved for DCIS and she reluctantly let me have aromasin because it has been shown in studies to be good for DCIS but not the others . Exemestane is the only AI that is chemically different than the other ones or some such...sigh

Ok, gotta get back to laundry! xoxox

KATE! We are worried!

EDIT: Just wanted to give my condolences to Bunkie (((((Hug))))

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited February 2014

Everyone thanks for the condolences about my friend. I have been on FB all day with everyone sharing photos of past times at work with our group. We have lost 3 so far. All to cancer. Crap. Gives me more to be thankful for. Been watching the Hawaii special on HGTV and dreaming of warmer places. Have not seen sun in 2 weeks. Well I think we had 1 afternoon. Anyway just laying around. Not motivated to cook anything or clean. Good thing I went to the resturant Friday and bought a couple meals to heat up. I am really being bad with ribs, salmon, and pulled pork. Too much salt I am sure but I am in need of comfort food today. Going to go through bills and get things organized for the week.

Stopped in to check on Kate but nothing yet. Trying to be patient and just hoping she is doing ok.

• justmejanis
    edited February 2014

Bunkie you have endured so much lately and the loss of your friend is so sad.  I am really sorry.  I hate cancer so passionately if that makes sense.  We went through a long spell of no sun at all.  After a few weeks we had a timid ray of sun, and the following day was clear and sunny.  It sure affects our moods.  I wanted to jump for joy and felt wonderful, full of energy.  I hope so much for you that the return of the sun comes very soon.  Hang in there, you are never alone!  Hugs.

I have been terrible about posting and then I read and remember why I stay on this thread.  So much warmth and genuine love ladies.  I am sorry if I don't so 'shout outs' to everyone but it simply gets too difficult.  I am never far away and always cheering you on. 

Josie I hope your job situation improves and you can get out of there.  I know how much better you will feel when you are working in an environment that is positive and uplifting.  So much better for the soul.  Feel better Sweetie!

Again I apologize if I don't mention you all but I do keep up.  You ladies are all such an inspiration.  Never forget!

XOXOXOXOXOX

• josie123
    edited February 2014

Thanks Janis, I am feeling better but can't seem to motivate much today.I hate Sundays because my hubby works all day.He did make it home finally this afternoon.He worked all night last night and didn't get to come home till 4:30 an only to be called back out at 7:30 am.And the driver tonight just called in so he has to work tonight now too.If he actually got paid for all these hours then we would actually be doing ok financially.The family business.Pretty rottenScared

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited February 2014

Bunkie, sorry for your loss.  How terrible that you've lost so many to this awful disease. Josie, sorry you have to fly solo on Sundays.  I  confess that though I love my dh very much I don't always hate having time alone.

Kate has been on my mind today. I sure hope she just forgot her power cord, or is too busy receiving fascinating visitors.  Kate, if you're skimming by give us a quick shout out.

Welcome to BigD and hello to all my other sisters--

I worked yesterday, and then spent seven hours in a baking marathon today.  It could have been tough except that it is for my daughter's Bachelor of Fine Arts Senior Thesis Exhibit this week and I am besides myself with joy.  At her request I baked all of her grandmother's best recipes for her reception.  Also because my dd the younger baked with me all day, and we sang my mother's baking song and danced in the kitchen. When 11:11 came (dd tells me that's the wishing hour) I wished that I would never forget the happy morning. I take them where I can get them!  Now some gentle treadmill (I tasted too many of the sugary treats) and to bed.

I'm listening to the rain on the roof.  Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain!!!!!!

• justmejanis
    edited February 2014

SAB, your post brought me such happiness!  You probably know how much joy I get from baking.  I had no daughters but of course my sons were always happy when I baked for them.  I cannot imagine the joy of baking with them!  What a wonderful day you and your daughter must have had.  I remember a scene from the movie "Mermaids" when Cher's character and her two daughters were cooking up their strange family treats.  Dancing and laughing and celebrating.  Such memories.  Cherish the day Sab......it brought tears to my eyes!  I miss my family so much it hurts.  Both of my sons love to cook, my older son especially.  we are together rarely but we love cooking and sharing and it fills me with such a sense of wonder and love.  There is so much closeness in cooking and baking and sharing family recipes. Love to tweak recipes too.  You have family nearby and never, ever take that for granted.  I feel I have lost so much, but live for the chance we will be able to reunite and dance again.  Thank you for bringing a little of your family into my life.  :)

• BigDBeatingBigC
    edited February 2014

I, too, am sorry for your loss, Bunkie.  Thank you for the welcome, SAB, I loved your post on your baking marathon.  Made me smile.  I love rain as well.  I think I should have moved to Seattle I love it so much.  It has been so cold in Dallas, and I feel bad to even complain about it.  We have not had it near as bad as so many off to the north and east of us.  Looking forward to spring, hope it comes soon.

• josie123
    edited February 2014

SAB, what a neat day baking with your daughter.Thanks for sharing.BTW, 11:11  is when I delivered my first child so that is a special time for me too.

Janis, I'm sorry you don't have any family nearby coming from a family of 6 5 of us live within30 min of each other.My sister Mary lives in Connecticut which is like20 hrs away from us.We miss her and mainly get to see her like once or twice a year.

Kate, I hope you know how worried we are about you.Please be ok.