Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• dragonfly45
    dragonfly45 Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2014

Hi all.  I am three weeks out from finishing rads and still am so fatigued.  I go to work every day but

this week has been tough.  I had to leave yesterday at two, it takes me an hour to get home.  I layed down and slept for 21/2 hours, ate a lite dinner and was in be by 8:30.  I am feeling a little better today but know that I am going to fade this afternoon. How is everyone handling the fatigue?  I did do 15 min walks last week but this week am to exhausted to try.   I finished Chemo January 24th, and my hair is just a little longer than when i had my head shaved.  How long does it take before i have hair?  I am going to meet my daughters in Chicago the end of May and wanted so desperately did not want to have to wear scarfs.   (I have got use to not having hair but my head is so cold that i have to wear the scarfs to keep warm).     Looking forward to your comments

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited April 2014

Dragonfly, you're brave!  I had my RO put me on disability for the month after I finished rads, and should have stayed on longer.   Eventually, I wound up with a "reasonable accomodation" of a four-hour workday because I just couldn't seem to function on all cylinders.  In my case, it seems to have been a kind of PTSD, which lingers longer than the plain, ordinary, miserable, rotten fatigue that lifts nicely on schedule.  Along the way, my RO prescribed ritalin, which helped for a while.  The ritalin is apparently a pretty common solution for the post treatment burnout we all have to deal with.  You're probably not any more eager than I was to try it, but I'd encourage you to give your RO a call to discuss it.

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited April 2014

Dragonfly, you are doing all you can do.  Be sure and eat a lot of protein if you are not doing that already.  You had chemo, too, and even though there is a period of time they give you before starting rads, you need to realize that chemo wore you out as well, and now you are getting further tx.  I did not have chemo and had to work 8 hours every day, and it was very difficult some days, more toward the end of each week.  Some days I went to bed as soon as I got home.  The sleep did help, but by the end of last week, not only was I tired, I was in pain.  Still having the pain but it is easing a bit.  Drink as much water as you can stand.  Your body uses a lot of energy during rads and water is crucial.  My MO told me it is not unusual to be anemic as well during rads.  Also, if you have a juicer or if you live near a juice bar, fresh juices with a protein boost, or a smoothie with a protein boost each day can help as well.  If you need to take some time from work, can you do that? 

As for hair, what about a wig of some sort, even just a short one?  It would maybe keep your head a bit warmer.  They have some nice ones on HSN that are not too pricey. 

I hope you have a wonderful visit in May with your daughters.  Hang in there and let us know how you are doing.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited April 2014

dragonfly- I had 33 RADS treatments; finished them in July 2011. Halfway through them I was exhausted. My ONC prepared me for the fatigue and told me to rest as much as I could. I worked nights and my commute to work was about 45 minutes in rush hour traffic. I had a very high pressure job that I simply could not perform during the treatments. My appointments were always first thing in the morning - at my request. By mid-morning I was really tired. I didn't have chemo so you have to be spent. Be kind to yourself and rest whenever you can. Diane 

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2014

Well, we need to plan yet another pocket party for next Tuesday.  Another test before they can even consider doing the surgery.  Yesterday I saw the gastro doc, who went over all the options.  Since I have tried all the PPI's and all have failed, he did recommend surgery.  He is referring me to who he called 'the best surgeon in the valley' a general surgeon who dies the procedure all the time.  He is apparently very booked up so if he doesn't work out he will refer me to his second choice.  I am a bit nervous.  The procedure Tuesday is done in the hospital. it is called 'Esophageal Manometry'.  It involves putting a tube in your nose and swallowing sips of water to make sure you swallow properly.  It sounds to me more like some kind of torture.  Hose in the nose and down the esophagus......oh my.  I have to be at the hospital in Boise at 8:00 AM. 

Dragonfly your poor body has been through so much between chemo and rads.  Be kind to yourself, rest when you are able and don't worry about it.  This fatigue will eventually subside but for now just remember all you have been through and allow yourself time to recover.  You will, I promise.  Your body needs more time and this is normal.  Hugs to you.

Thanks everyone for coming to the PP yesterday.  I felt everyone squirming around.  Tuesday I guess we need another one for me.  I know nobody minds a good pocket party.  We'll have one for Lili on Thursday too.  :)

• BigDBeatingBigC
    edited April 2014

I am in for the PPs Janis ad Lili.  That test does not sound fun, and I have not had one of those, but hopefully it sounds worse than what it really is.  No one likes surgery but at least you are getting a referral to a great surgeon, that is important.  I feel like if you can wait for the 1st choice you should.  If not, I am sure the second choice will work as well.  My best to you, Janis!

• justmejanis
    edited April 2014

Thank you Big D!  I appreciate your support.  They cannot use any relaxation meds for the procedure.  It has to be done when you are wide awake.  My friend Bev had one a few months ago. and she said then if anyone tried to do the nose hose on me, just say NO!  LOL....I haven't told her yet.  I read up on the procedure and it did say you could get a bloody nose from it and common to gag.  I bet!  Your stomach has to be completely empty for that reason.

By the way, how are you doing on the Femara?  I may switch to that if the joint pain continues.

• BigDBeatingBigC
    edited April 2014

I am doing well on it, Janis.  I have not had any SEs at all but I know others do.  My MO told me Femara seems to have the least amount of SEs.  He would have put me on Tamoxifen but he did not want me gaining weight as I need to lose weight.  I have only been on it a couple of months so far but so far so good.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2014

Janis, I had the procedure last September or something that sounds like the same thing.  They actually left the tube in for 24 hours and I was supposed to press a button on a unit I wore on my wrist which was set for 3 of my worst symptoms.  The tube has some sort of sensor and they can tell if whatever your symptom is (mine were coughing, reflux and being unable to breath) actually occurs with high PH acid or what.  Oh, and you have to log whenever you eat.  I don't know if this is the one you're having or not.  It's a bit easier than it sounds to insert this tube, and yes, you have to swallow water while they're doing it because that action is what moves the tube down your esophagus.  Anyway, it's not that bad, except mine slipped and then the blasted thing would hit some sort of nerve in my nostril and hurt terribly.  The sensation would only last about 30 seconds, but boy was it intense.  You can adjust the tube to get it to stop, but that's not fun.  Removal is quick and easy, however my neck ended up swollen from the procedure and my throat ended up sore too, which apparently doesn't happen that often (typical of me, huh).  anyway, you may be having something like this and it's not as bad as it sounds .....  mostly.  They do learn quite a bit from all this data they collect for the 24 hours.  In fact, they want you to try to bring on the reflux during the test so they can tell how high up the acid is moving in the esophagus.  I got to eat peanut butter and everything.  

so...don't know if all that makes it scarier or better, but hopefully that helps.  I'm happy to join the pocket party, but am not offering to take your place......once is enough for me! 

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2014

thanks to my friends who recommend i keep all my purchases :-D

I stress-ate all week while getting taxes and grading done.  I am mot going to fit in much of anything this week.  Maybe ivory long thin cotton skirt - it hides a multitude of sins!  But needs shortening.  

Am expecting a visit at my house with my dear grandaughters Friday. Miss them so much.  

Gotta take down the crib and buy a bunch of doll stuff - found Dd's cradle and some baby clothes.   Will plan to sleep with Caroline all night.  Cant wait!

Sad that Son IL will come alone as my Dd and he are living separate lives in the same (brand new) house.  My heart is broken but it is not my place to do anything except support and love them.  

Janis cant lie - it sounds miserable but we can do anything for a short time.  If anyone had ever told me i would do a stand up mammo while someone inserted a wire via needle in my breast i would have fainted at the thought.  But thats in the past. And soon your tube test will be done.  Wear big pockets please.  I get claustrophobic. 

Welcome dragonfly.  I worked too but did not have chemo.   I hope you are doing ok - week end just ahead!

Back to bed - had an early nap.  

• dragonfly45
    dragonfly45 Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2014

Wow! Thank you all for the support and encouragement. Except for my immediate family, I have never felt so much love, support and  caring from anyone, much less total strangers, than i have during these last 6 months.  I saw my GP yesterday and he told me Fatigue is part of it,  If i am still having problems in Sept when i see him again we will discuss option then.  In other words, hang in there and this too shall pass!.

I do have a wig, but found it very painful in the beginning to ware.  My scalp was very sensitive. Now I am so comfortable with the scarfs that I forget about the wig.  Maybe i will wear it Sunday when we go out to dinner.  As encouragement to myself i am telling myself i am like Samson and Deliah.  When my hair grows back so will my strength!  Hey! like my daughter said, "What ever helps"  :):) .

Janis,  I cannot imagine the test you have to have.  UCK!  i not only would gag but probably throw up! best of luck and i will definately keep you in my thought and prayers.

I am having a endoscopy and colonoscopy done next Friday.  the colonoscopy is a followup on a bowel resection i had for diverticulitis a year and a half ago.  The endoscopy is because i've been having so much heartburn and reflux lately.   

I did consider disability but I feel great in the mornings and I need to be busy.  I usually hit my wall around 2 in the afternoon.  On days that I feel too exhausted i go home and rest.  But like the rest of you, i am sure once treatment was over we wanted to go back to our normal selves.  I know i need to be patient...a very difficult word for me, but i am learning.

Everyone enjoy the weekend, our office is closing around two today and we have tomorrow off...Yippee a 3+ day weekend.

• brooksidevt
    edited April 2014

And by the way, reflux is exascerbated by rads.  It's all that lying on your back with your arms over your head. 

• justmejanis
    edited April 2014

Dragonfly the best part of this group as that we are not strangers for long.  Friendships here form quickly and stay with you.  I too appreciate the support here and have grown to love my sistas here.  This is an amazing, caring, intelligent group of women, always here to give advice and a shoulder.  They are also gifted, talented, funny, goofy, and absolutely fun  to be with.  We talk about so many things besides this nasty cancer.  Stick around please, you are a part of us now! 

By the way, we throw pocket parties for various reasons.  We would love to throw you one next Friday for your procedures.  It is a virtual party where we all jump in your pocket and stay with you for support during your procedure.  Since there are no calories or bad food bans, everyone brings a fun or festive dish and drinks for those who choose to have one, or more!  When you finish of course you join us and get to share the goodies.  I will jump in first and offer up my cake balls.  I have three flavors I am bringing.  Lemon, key lime and orange.  You have to tell us your favorite goodies so others can bring them.  You don't have to bring anything to your own party, that is what we are for.  I am requesting a pocket party for my test Tuesday.  kate always brings me margaritas...and she knows how to make a good one!

Sew thanks for all the info about the test.  How interesting they did a 24 hour monitor.  I did read that they sometimes do that, I am not sure if they will for me or not.  The test is exactly the same, the monitoring is another option so we'll see. What did they decide was your diagnosis?  Do you take meds for the reflux that actually help? 

Joan I am so happy you get to have the granddaughters this weekend.  I know how much you miss them.  How fun, and for them it will be a wonderful time as well.  You are so lucky to have them.  I am sorry about DD/SIL but it sounds like they are being very civil at least.  My son's divorce was brutally bitter and now my DIL, who lives in Wyoming, does not answer or return my calls.  My only sin is being his mother.  I have not talked to my grandson in over a year and it breaks my heart.  She is a very bitter and nasty person.  Anyway.....good for you and have a wonderful time my friend.  I see lots of giggles in your near future.  :)

I am finishing up all my cake balls today and will deliver to neighbors and pharmacy friends tomorrow.  Treats all around.  I love doing them.  Oh Joan you asked, these are super easy.  Since this is long I will start a new one.

Kate, how are you feeling today?  Is the leg swelling improved at all?  Thinking of you and sending lots of healing hugs!

Love to all!

• justmejanis
    edited April 2014

Joan and I think Cindy have asked about cake balls so will be happy to share the recipe.  There are endless possibilities and flavor combos.  I have made these for several years and found a lot of different ways to improve the flavor.  So I'll give you some of my favorite tips.

You need one cake mix, any flavor.  To go with that a compatible frosting.  I usually make mine from scratch and divide it up and flavor each one separately.  You can use canned frosting, but it is very sweet.  I always add cream cheese to canned and often to my own.  Everyone I make them for loves lemon the best, so I will start with that.  Easy easy and so good. I buy a lemon cake mix. When I assemble the cake I zest two large lemons and then juice them.  I make the cake according to the directions but add the lemon juice as part of the water.  I usually get about 1/3 cup of lemon juice so I substitute the juice for part of the water.  I also add most of the zest to the batter. I save a tablespoon or so for the frosting.  I bake in a 9x13, easiest.  After it cooks, break it into chunks into a large mixing bowl.  Add about 1 cup frosting.  The recipe I found called for 2 cups and to me it is overkill.  You want a stiff dough that will have enough frosting in it to roll easily and hold together to form a ball.  When using canned frosting I  mix the whole can with 4 oz. or so of cream cheese and a little more powdered sugar and mix well.  Also zest and a little extra lemon juice if I have it.  I use probably a cup and save the rest for another time.  It freezes well.  Use your mixer to blend it well till you have a nice stiff dough.  Refrigerate several hours or even days.  Then I roll them into small balls, guessing a little smaller than a walnut.  They won't all be uniform, nobody minds.  Then freeze them for several hours or again, overnight is fine.  They need to be ice cold to dip them.  Before dipping I assemble all my goodies.  For holidays I buy the cute little Wilton paper cups, they have the cupcake size and the little petite size, about 1".  I also get all the adorable holiday sprinkles.  This is the hard part for me.  There are so many cute sprinkles and I can't buy them all.  I look for sales after holidays.  You don't have to get Wilton, they are pricey.  Most grocery stores have a holiday display and have their own brand of the little cups and sprinkles much cheaper.  Then you need the chocolate coating.  You can use the melting bark, you can use the Wilton melting chips which are pre colored, or do what I do and use real chocolate chops.  I use the white chips and only a good brand that is real and not imitation white chocolate.  You cannot add color to these with regular water based food color.  Very important that when you melt your chocolate no water is added.  I do often buy the colored Wilton chips and add those to the white chips for color.  I use less than half a bag and get nice pastels.  Or you can stick with plain white since the sprinkles make them pop.  Once frozen get a couple cookie sheets out, line with parchment paper or wax paper.  Melt the chocolate slowly over hot water or if your microwave has a 'melt chocolate' setting use that.  Just stir often.  If it is too thick for dipping I melt in a little shortening.  Then d[p and sprinkle!  Oh oh page is jumping.  Any questions please just ask!

• MostlySew
    edited April 2014

Janis,

How could you post that delectable recipe just when I'm counting calories?  Now I'll have to do more than 10,000 steps.  Actually with my 24 hour test they found that I had reflux (they knew this from the endoscopy) and that it indeed went all the way up the esophagus but that my cough wasn't caused by the reflux.  Except when we treated the reflux with something that worked, the cough went away.

Dragonfly, boy, you're sure having the treatment!  Both are pretty simple tests and it's good you're only having to be put out once.  Hopefully all the news is good.  I do think you'll suddenly realize one day that your fatigue is much better.  As I recall it took me at least 4 weeks before I felt fewer "attacks" of fatigue and longer still to get back to normal.  It is a slow process just allow yourself time as you're doing but at least you're finally done with active treatment

• joan811
    edited April 2014

Janis, thanks for the recipe.  It totally makes sense now!  The possibilities are endless...I love how you tweak it...I like to cook that way.  I will copy and store in my recipes folder.  And maybe even make it with my grandaughters.

Well, I am very much looking forward to seeing my little grandaughters tomorrow...DD is home in MA working...will be joining us soon.  Yes, it is a civil soon-to-be separation.  I am not internalizing...too hard.  Son-in-law will sleep here with the girls tomorrow night...DD probalby won't make it until Saturday.

My DD#2 from CT was where we were gathering on Easter...well at 3 PM today she sent a text that they are extending their vacation in Mexico and she canceled Easter.  Now, with all the difficulties, we really needed to be together and the cousins too.  So DD and I were trying to do damage control tonight...I found 2 places for brunch =one kid friendl at 10:30 am (way early) and the other not so kid friendly at 1 PM.  The other places did not answer the phone. 

I am madly cleaning - thought I was just having the girls (one guest room) but now 2 adults...2 guest rooms...and the 2nd still has Christmas boxes that are on line for the attic.  I am going up now to move what I can (it's 1 am)...I will be no good tomorow for sure.  I have to work so no time, really.  All unexpected...we were supposed to be traveling. 

Such is life...

Dragonfly, I love your premise that as your hair returns, so will your strength.  That makes perfect sense to me.  And during rads, you do not really have to be a patient...but if you feel under the weather, you should be kind to yourself.  I did well with working and driving long distances.  After it was all over, I stayed home over winter break for 2 weeks and I do not think I got dressed most of those days.  I just lounged and pampered myself as I healed.  Then I was ready to return to work.

I was not on at the beginning of the week and did not send wishes to our friends who celebrate Passover...was thinking of you.  And to those who are looking forward to Easter, I wish a peaceful time of rest and happiness.  Family a bonus...not always so peaceful!!

Love and hugs!

• justmejanis
    edited April 2014

Joan the possibilities are endless as you mentioned.  I make a dark chocolate cake, and to the mix add a couple of teaspoons of cinnamon a couple teaspoon of almond extract.  Some chocolate cream cheese frosting I also dip in chocolate.  You can use the bark, and sometimes I add a little for textures, but I much prefer using good quality chips.  The bark is not nearly as flavorful.  I another using a white cake mix, add both coconut and almond extracts to the dry mix and a few ground almonds.  I think you can all use your imaginations.  After the dough is made, it has to chill for several hours for easiest rolling.  Then once they are rolled I put them on baking sheets lined with parchment paper and freeze them for an hour or so before they can be dipped.  You can get a strawberry cake mix and add some strawberry extract to that, then I smash up a few strawberries and add that to strawberry frosting.  Dipped in dark chocolate they are great!  Also spice cake is good with added seasonings, carrot cake....mix those with vanilla cream cheese frosting and dip in white chocolate.  Divine!  The possibilities are endless.  You have to put the sprinkles on right away or the chocolate will set and they won't stick.  I have every color sugar in the rainbow and also add different Wilton sprinkles for whatever season it is.  They make such cute ones.  Halloween they had black/orange sprinkles and these adorable white bones, witches hats, lots of fun stuff. 

I am so sorry about the family problems.  Now the change in Easter plans with such short notice.  Eek!  I feel bad you staying up so late to put those things in the attic.  I know how busy you will be, and being rushed makes it so much harder.  I know you will get it done and the house will be beautiful.  Hoping tomorrow you can find a place for brunch that will work out for everyone.

Happy Passover to our Jewish friends!  Happy Easter to those who celebrate.  Wishing everyone great food and companionship with your loved ones. 

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited April 2014

I had my first iron infusion today, and it came off smoothly/ The infusion was only for 17 seconds.a,d then they gave me Claritin for 30 minutess. Then I left. When I came home  I got more energentic, but as the day moved on I becdame totally exhaustede again. Doc says I only nee one more infusion which I will have on Monday. Maybe my exshaustion has to do with a high kidnry number I have on some test. I can't take care of it till after I come back from Chicago. I may need another stent put back in.

I refuse to let anything negative get in my way of having a good time.. Onoly 5 more days, and I still have a lot of personal stuff to do. I need to go to spray tanning twice, I need to get a mani and a pedi, I need to go to the bank several times. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, my pain managegement specialist. It feels good to be busy, becasue I really don't feel well amd this will keep my my mind off of it.

Sorry you guys have issues, and I hopw they get clecared uo aoon,

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited April 2014

Janis, great recipe for the cake balls.Sounds like a lot of work.Maybe we will all come over to your house for the cake balls.

Count me in for the pocket party.I will bring homemade Carmel corn.

I'm sorry that your DIL is so bitter towards you.That is sad.My MIL is sometimes kind of mean to me and its like she doesn't even realize it.I forgive her though.Once she had her relatives at her house from Ireland and wanted a photo of her and her cousins.She stated I want only blood relatives in this picture so she handed me the camera.At that point I should have walked out but I took the pic.After all her cousins husband's were in the pic.

Joan,  sounds like your going to have a crowded house for Easter last minute. Don't worry too much about the cleaning.It's about being together.And they are your kids so they probably don't want you to work so hard.

Kate, glad to hear your infusion went well.Sorry to hear you are still so exhausted though.

Happy Passover to you and anyone else on here that celebrates.

Welcome Dragonfly, sorry your so exhausted.I was too during and after radiation.Sounds like your getting some great advice.

RunFree where are you?Hope your ok.Maybe just busy?

I have a 4 day weekend I was off yesterday too.I need it.They are really stressing me out at work putting on way more pressure to fill up my schedule.In my spare time of course since no increase in hours.I am so done.Well I called the lady who interviewed me last Thursday just to give her the actual phone # for one of my references.I had originally given them her work phone # since I didn't have her # and the interview was the next day and I also was just touching base with her.She thanked me for calling and said they were a little behind on the process since the other lady that interviewed me had a death in the family this week.I'm so glad I called maybe there is still a chance at that job.

We are going to paint my DD room tommorow.Maybe I take a pic of the process or finished product.DH works Easter of course so we will be going to church without him again.

But as for the rest of the day he will join us in our festivities at my mother's  and his mom's

House.My Father in law didn't get good news about his cancer( he has multiple myeloma)

Apparent the last set of tests they ran(blood and urine tests) Something showed to high levels.Which mean the cancer is no longer in remission.He wasn't a candidate for a bone marrow transplant last year but may be eligible sooner than we thought.He is the sweetest man and I was so proud he was doing so well.It makes me sad .We may not have too many Easters left with him.

Sorry this was so long

Happy Easter.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited April 2014

That sounds encouraging Josie. I am glad you had a "reason" to call. Waiting for anything does me in. So girl you are still in the running...as for MILs I have had 2 and both of them have been difficult to get along with. Okay I am not the most diplomatic person all the time but I am also a person who cuts to the chase. I just haven't mastered letting some things go. My mother used to say let 10 things a day go...I have made it to 5...haha.

Cake balls sound heavenly. I will bring something that doesn't require me making/baking it. Trust me I am saving you guys from a quick trip to the ER to have your stomachs pumped. Husband is the cook and a gourmet at that...yea!

Joan - right there with you with the pigging out...dang. I have overdosed on Reese's peanut butter eggs and Starburst jellybeans this week...yum...I don't bother looking at the calories or sugar grams because that would take the fun out of it...after Sunday back to the make believe diet I am on.

Happy Easter to all you guys; you are all the best! Husband and I are attending all the Holy Week services at the church and dining with our youngest son at Fleming's on Sunday. We never see him because he spends all of his spare time with his GFF. Get that but still miss him - he was the last one at home. Hopefully we can have a few minutes with 2 of our grandsons too.

Diane

• josie123
    edited April 2014

Thanks Diane, yes maybe there is still a chance.

I can't imagine having to deal with more than 1 difficult in- law

Happy Easter to you to Diane

• brooksidevt
    edited April 2014

Janis, I never could figure out how it was possible to bake truly round cakeballs.  Now I see that that's not what happens at all.  If I understand your post correctly, first you bake a cake, then you crumb it and mix the crumbs with icing?  Yummmm.  Sounds much better than plain old cake, which I have always considered a scaffolding to support the icing.  I'm thinking of adding sherry to a yellow cake mix, then some really sinful, gooey, white icing.

So great that you had an opportunity to check back with the interviewers, Josie.  That second touch gives them an opportunity to see you as just a little more human.  Here's hoping!

I'm frantically cleaning up my gardens.  Our library has a Memorial Day plant sale, and some of the ladies have their eyes on my plants.  I do have lots to divide (mostly weeds, I fear), but hope to present a few well groomed beds, rather than the mishmash of weeds and last year's dried up stalks that consititute the present "presentation."  Oops.  Also have to pick up inside a bit--after the ladies dig, they'll need tea.  Or wine.  Oh, and cakeballs.  Thank goodness, however (thinking of you, Joan, and anyone else who is hosting) that I'm having Easter at the aunt of one of my daughters-in-law.  Guest rooms would be beyond me right now. 

• justmejanis
    edited April 2014

Edwards LOL on you not cooking.  I have made a lot of errors on my cooking especially when I try new recipes.  The cake balls I have down to a science.  See, they are made of cake and frosting all rolled into a ball.  The perfect little cake popper.  You can come up with some creative one.  Just know they take a long time to finally finish due to refrigerating after rolling, then after rolling they have to freeze to firm up to be dipped. 

Brookside that is how it works, easy!  I have a stand mixer so always mix the frosting into the cake chunks to get them mixed really well.  DH does another batch in a big bowl with the hand mixer.  Whoever gets done first blends up the third batch.  It is much easier to just do one batch but holidays I tend to go overboard.  One batch makes a lot, I had over 200 cake balls making three separate mixes.  Lots and lots of work getting them all dipped and sprinkled.  Once you put them in those little cups they look so cute.  I have two more neighbors to deliver to but they were both gone yesterday.  I did get them to the pharmacy and two other neighbors.  Almost done.

What does everyone have planned for Easter?  We invited a neighbor we don't know well but a very nice man.  He has been widowed for about 15 years.  I made him a goodie plate and invited him to dinner.  He was thrilled, he said he rarely gets a homemade meal.  I am making standard fare.  Ham, scalloped potatoes. a Jello mold with cream cheese and pineapple.  Rolls and French cut green beans with toasted almonds.  Homemade apple pie for desert.  Whatever you do or celebrate, enjoy every minute. 

Josie, so sorry your job is still so difficult.  Keeping all our fingers and paws crossed for you while pursuing other option.  Hugs!

• LiLi-RI
    LiLi-RI Member Posts: 160
    edited April 2014

Janis: I understand your apprehensions regarding your test. It takes BIG cake balls! I would however inquiry about an anti-anxiety med which will not put you to sleep....

I had my 1st diagnostic mammogram Thursday. I can't believe it, but there 2 suspicious areas in the non- cancer breast. I am scheduled for core stereotactic biopsies on Wed. WTF. 

I am in shock. I just finished a year of this.....

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited April 2014

For those who celebrate happy almost easter. Sab I hope you had a nice sedar this year. I was hoping you would make it to West LA so we could celebrate, but maybe next year, Today I plan on more girlie stuff and maybe a little more shopping. I want to exchange something at the mall which could mean another purchase. I'd like to buy a cozy outfit for the room. The Embassy has a nice 2 room suite. The kids want to have dinner there one night, and play games. Sounds like fun to me. So, I'd like something cozy to wear, Then after I go to the mall I am going to get a new full set of nails and I will have a pedi. Then around 5:30 my hairdresser is coming over to wash one of my wigs. Then she is going to drive me to do some of my errands, like the bank etc.

Sunday I am going to do chores. Wash my hair, wash my clothes and get in a good nap.

Monday I have another iron infusion. I also have to pick up prescriptions. Tuesday I will pack and the rest of the day will be girlie'girl. I have two hairdressers coming over. Joanna my friend and regular hairdresserewill color and cut my own hair. She will alos wash and blow dry a fall that I have, Then Laura is coming to put in extensions. I hope my hair will look full enought with restensions.If not I will wear the fall over it, and then it will be full enough. I am excited they are both very nice, and very good hairdressers planning to do my hair the best they know how. So, only 4 more days and I will be having a blast with my children and grandchildren. I am so stoked.

we

• BigDBeatingBigC
    edited April 2014

Lili, I know you have to be upset and now more waiting, although I am sure they will prioritize you and give you results ASAP.  The odds are still in your favor but I know if that was me, I would be saying WTH as well.  Hopefully, all will turn out okay.  I will keep you in my thoughts.

Kate:  How wonderful you have such nice friends to come over and help you.  I can feel your excitement!  Hope you have the best time!

Janis, I do not cook much either.  I think I should move in with you hahahahaha.  I am going out with a friend on Sunday for brunch and a belated birthday celebration for her.

I hope you all have a blessed Easter!

• josie123
    edited April 2014

Lilli, Im sorry you have to go through this again.We will be with you as you go through the biopsy.

Kate, sounds like your getting it together for the big trip.Good for you .

Brookside, have fun in the garden..Thanks for the best wishes on the job and enjoy your Easter too.

Janis, sounds like a delicious Easter buffet.Thanks for the good wishes on the job too.

Wish us luck we have the paint and are just about to dive into the project.

• MostlySew
    edited April 2014

LiLi-Ri,   I'm so sorry you've gotten such scary news.  Waiting until Wednesday must be really really hard.  I'd be saying more than WTH I expect.  We're with you and will join you for a pocket partying on Wednesday.  It might be a little loud with all of us cheering you on, so be sure to let us know as soon as you get results.  And please, if you just need to vent with thoughts, prayers, worries be sure to join us, we're all here to help you and have at least some inkling of how difficult this must be for you.  I'm hoping they're just being overly cautious.....

• joan811
    edited April 2014

Life is a roller coaster...

DD changed her mind and flew back from Mexico tonight...will host us tomorrow.
    We will not go out but will have brunch in her house instead.  The kids will have fun.

I am up really late...stuffing eggs for a grab bag...have to wash hair...ugh I do not know how to pace myself or be ready for anything.
    I had my dear grandaughters overnight and loved every minute.  Their dad, my son-in-law, wanted to talk to me about the impasse with my DD#3.  It was very hard to hear his sadness...but I managed to hold it together.  We hiked with the kids today in the wildlife refuge, then had a picnic lunch and went to a local egg hunt.  After they left for the ferry, I completely fell apart.  We will see them tomorrow...and we will get through this together.

Wishing you all peace and happiness...strength for the day, and good health. 
    So happy to know each of you.

• brooksidevt
    edited April 2014

What a lovely photo, Joan; the three of you look so happy together.  It's such a bummer that family issues have to put a damper on Easter joy, but,on the other hand, a holiday does bring at least some of you together to support one another through it. 

Happy Easter, everyone who celebrates, and happy Sunday to all.  Blessings all around.