Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2014

Lili Sew is right and of course we will be in your pocket Wednesday.  I don't want you to worry but that is silly.  We always do!  Will be thinking of you and wishing for only good news.  Please let us know!   Oh, they can't prescribe anti anxiety meds, she said that interferes with the test.  :(

Big D, brunch out sounds great.  Some days I would much rather do that.  Enjoy your day!

Kate it sounds like you have lots to do these next few days.  Enjoy getting everything done and I know you will have a wonderful time with your family. 

Joan, what a wonderful picture!  You all look great, your granddaughters are darling. I am sorry about the family problems, SIL has to be hurting badly.  It is so difficult for everyone.  I am glad your other DD decided to come back.  Looks like a road trip for you.  Be safe my friend, have a wonderful holiday.

Happy Easter to all.

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited April 2014

Happy Easter to all who celebrate!  Hope it's a lovely day for everyone -- it's blue skies and sunny here in the Boston area today. 

Joan, love your photo. Just wanted to say that while I'm sorry to hear about your family issue, I'm happy to hear that you are open to and supportive of your son-in-law (and father of your grandchildren). So often people shut the non-blood relative out in times of trouble. Says a lot about the good people that you and your family are!  :-)

Where is RunFree???  I miss her witty posts, and I hope all is well with her!  If anyone is in touch with her outside BCO, tell her she is missed. 

Hugs to all (I'm very bad at the individual shout-outs like so many of you are able to do so well -- just know that I care about you all very much).  :D

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2014

thanks Brookside Janis & gemini for your kind words. 

I feel encouraged. 

Wearing colorful scarf and a smile. 

Happy Easter - enjoy the day. 

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited April 2014

Big D Beating, Lili Ri, and Joan thanks for the support.

My day went exactly as planned yesterday, The evening was another story. My nurse came in the morning and gsve me an enema,  and that went fine. I went to the mall after

that and returned something, The mall was getting too crowded, so with my swollen leg I though it was time to go. I went and got a full set of nails and a pedi. Then I went home to wait for Joanna who was going to take me to CVS and the bank. Then everything went wrong  from there.

Right before Joanna came over I got an extremely painful case of diahrrea. She hadt to do something for one of my wigs,so that stalled thingstfor 30 minuted or so, but then she was in a hurry to get some of her chores done before Easter. I was hoping 30minutes or so would clear up my diahrrea, but it didn't. She then took me to the ATM and I got through that ok, but CVS was a disaster. I had 4 prescriptions to pick up, and they would only give me one to pivk up. They said the other three were too soon. My doctor phoned in and asked for an insurance override. Which helps when someone is goiing out of town. I will find out about that on Monday or Tuesday, But the worst; partof the whole ordeal was that I was in the CVS restroom every 5 minutes with diahrrea.

Finally I get to go home and I am having the worst pain I ever had in my life from diahrrea. I email my GI doctor who prescribred Linzess for me s few days agq. Ome of the side effects of Linzess is extreme pain from diahrrea. I then emailed my pain management doctor and he told me to stop linzess and to take 1 1o mg oxycodone every hour till the pain goes away. God bless him. It took 3 hours and 3 10mg oxycodone and the pain went away.

Unfortunately when I woke up I had diahrrea and Pain again. I have emails to my doctors to see what I should do. Only 3 days till my tripand I am worried that someone will want to hospitalize me,

Joan the photo of your granddaughters and you are gorgeous

Lili I am in your ocket and sorry you got scary news,

Happy Easter to everyone who celebrates ,and please save me a chocolate marshmellow easter egg

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited April 2014

What a sweet photo, Joan.

Happy Easter to all!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited April 2014

Lilli, it's a shock indeed.  No way any of us could be prepared for that kind of surprise.  The good news, of course, is that 80% of biopsies are benign, so here's hoping you'll soon know that all they've identified is some totally insignificant, inconsequential, cellular trivia.   

Yikes, Kate, it seems it's one extreme or the other. If only your tummy would settle on a middle ground, and ASAP!    At least your pre-Chicago glamourizing is going perfectly and the countdown is getting close to liftoff.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2014

oh Kate please try to get this figured out sp you can enjoy your trip.  i hope you get your drugs you need to take on your trip.  

Thanks Kate and Big D for your kind words.  I got to spend more time with the kids today.  I took pix on good camera but DH rushed me out the door and i left the cam.   DH makes me crazy sometimes. 

We are a few minutes from home after a 1 hour and 15 minute ferry ride. Wish i could go to bed but i have papers to grade. 

Lilli sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. 

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited April 2014

Kate -- I am so hoping you will get this all worked out and you can get those drugs and be in a much better position for your trip.  I know this has to be so frustrating for you.  You know we are here for you.  I am praying for you BIG.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited April 2014

Joan, what a nice picture of you and your darling granddaughters.Thanks for sharing.Sounds like you have a good relationship with your son in law.I'm sorry they are having problems.That's hard especially with children involved.

Kate, I'm sorry your having more GI issues. Sometimes you have diarrhea from having an enema but shouldn't have pain unless there is a blockage.Also constipation alone can give you diarrhea.Hope you get some answers.

Happy Easter to everyone too.

We had a good one but my hubby worked and everyone he would get to a call no one would be there.He was so frustrated.I was frustrated too.I had to spend the day w/o him.The kids didn't seem to mind though.They were distracted with the Easter festivities.I made my son come to church with us this morning even though I knew h stayed up all night on the computer.He kept trying to sleep all through church.But was wide awake when we got home.He then stayed awake all day when we finally made it to my MIL this evening he fell sound asleep after dinner but didn't want to hardly wake up to go home.

Painting went ok yesterday but took forever and exhausted we didn't finish only got the ceiling and the trim done so far.So most of her stuff is in my room.Can't hardly get to my bed.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited April 2014

Hi girls.  I was last here pages and pages ago...I tried to read through all the posts but it's just too much to do right now.  I've been busy and have not been online for a bit, so I just wanted to pop in and say happy holidays--Passover and Easter--to all of you.  Thinking of you all, and sending hugs.  

• katehudson25
    edited April 2014

i hOPE EVERYONE HAD A WONDERFUL eASTER. uNFORTUNATELY i DON;'T HAVE TIME FOR ANSWERS. MY DOCTORS CANCELED TH IRON TEST FOR TOMORROW AD THEY CANCELED LINZESS. tODAY i STAYED HOME, AND DID A FEW CHORES AND RESTED ALL DAY iN FACT i JUST WOKE UP. i FEEL HARD AND DISTENDED, BUT i WAS DUE FOR MEDS AND JUST TOOK THEM. tOMORROW ALL i NEED TO DO IS THE BANK AND PICK UP REFILLS FROM THE PHARMACY.  tUESDAY MY NURSE IS COMING AT 10 AND i MAY HAVE TO DO AN ENEMA. aT 12 jOANNA IS COMING TO COLOR MY HIAR. aT 1 lAURA IS COMING TO PUT EXTENSIONS IN MY HAIR . jOANNA IS ALSO WASHING AND STYING MY FALL IN CASE i NEED TO WEAR IT OVER THE EXTENSIONS. sHE ALOS CAME sATURDAY NIGHT AND WASHED AND STYLED MY WIG. sO, i THINK i HAVE THE GIRLIE-GIRL STUFF COVERED..

i AM GLAD i AM STAYING AT A HOTEL SO i WON'T BE PUTTING MY KIDS THROUGH ANY TRAUMA, AND ALSO i CAN SLEEP WHILE THEY ARE AT WORK. iF NOTHING ELSE THIS TRIP WILL BE A BIG SUCCESS IN JUST SEEING AND BEING WITH THE GRANDKIDS. iF i DON'T FEEL WELL EMOUGH TO GO OUT TO EAT WHO CARES. mY DAUGHTER OR DAUGHTER-IN-LAW CAN COOK OR WE CAN ORDER OUT. 2 1/2 DAYS TILL i SEE THEM AND i AM SO STOKED. tHANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT i AM HANGING IN THERE ASND i WILL GET RENEWED ENERGY WHEN i SEE THE KIDS.

LOBE, kATE

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited April 2014

No way to catch up so just want to say a few things...

Kate, prayers that you will feel better for your trip! You so deserve a fun trip with your grandchildren after all you have been through since you last saw them. Hugs sweetie!

Lili, I am in your pocket for Wednesday sweetie. I know this is so unfair that you have to worry like this so soon, but the odds are in your favor. Hang on to that!

Joan, your photo uplifted me so much when I saw it. I can't WAIT until I have my first grandchild in October. My son's wife has a 6 year old daughter by her first marriage and she is precious and I am working on forming a bond with her. I have known her since she was two, but do not see her enough and she is shy but she did draw me a picture the day of my son's wedding. I bought her chocolate Easter everything...my new DIL was probably ready to kill me I bought so much! HA! Grandma spoils. LOL

OK, at work as usual so have to run...just wanted to wish everyone a belated Happy Easter and Passover! xoxox

• LiLi-RI
    LiLi-RI Member Posts: 160
    edited April 2014

Brookside, Kate, Joan, April, Janis, BigD, Josie and Mostly Sew:

Thank you all for your support. I am kind of of freaking out, but trying to throw myself into work for the next 2 days! I am even scared about the actual stereotatic mammogram biopsies! Yike. How much pain can one endure?

Joan - I love the photo of you and your grandchildren! So precious.

Janie - You are in my pocket for tomorrow!!!!

Kate - Sending all good thoughts for your trip!!! Sounds like you will look gorgeous! I hope the DR can prescribe something for your pain.

Back to work for me now.

Again - sending hugs to all. 

LiLi

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited April 2014

Thanks Josie - hope you had a nice Easter. We did. Had brunch at Flemings with youngest son. Cant do that too often - very expensive and then dinner at one of my brother's houses. His wife is a really good cook. Just what I need more food. The Wings Foundation here(cancer foundation) sponsors yoga and zumba at the Community Center...so I can go for free every Monday. Went today. I liked it. Beats the treadmill. Sick of that.

Kate - right there with you on the hotel. I like to stay in a hotel when visiting too. They like their space - we like ours. We are traveling to Chattanooga for granddaughter's high school graduation next month. Daughter is the world's worst getting ready and organizing. Drives us crazy so we opted to stay in a hotel. Sounds like you are all ready to go. Hope you feel better soon.

april - grandchildren are the best. You get to spoil them rotten and send them home to their parents. We have 8 soon to be 9. Only 2 live here so we don't get to see them except for family stuff like weddings and holidays. I was so young with my first child - like teens and didn't know squat about being a parent; learned a lot over the years - trial and error - mostly error - and was a much better parent to my youngest son who I had in my 30's. So we are totally blessed.

Hope everyone had a nice holiday weekend. Temp is in the 70s here so more yard work is coming. Diane

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited April 2014

Joan- Beautiful woman with 2 beautiful granddaughters! Love the pic.

Kate- I have been reading every few days, I am praying for you. I am so happy that you will be going to Chicago and get to see your family, that alone will make you feel so much better. Sounds like you have everything in place for a great trip.

Josie- Do you ever rest? I envy your energy, always working on something in the house and running around with the kids, garage sales etc. Its been such a rotten winter here I feel like I have been dormant snuggled in my home. Today was 75 but tomorrow for the next week back in the 50s! I cant wait for it to be warm all the time, I think we are going to go from Winter right to Summer. Hope work is going better for you.

Gemini- always good to see you, hope you are well.

I have not had my BMX/Diep yet, its on May 5th, Cinco de Mayo.. hoping for a Margarita in the IV. I did all my pre-op so now its just the waiting which is tough. I cant wait to be on the other side. I am doing good but nerves are getting to me.

XO to all.

• jessozzie
    jessozzie Member Posts: 27
    edited April 2014

Hi all, has anybody had blisters during radiation?  i have a few blisters now on  my radiation area of the chest and i am worried they could be shingles,they have not burst. the Dr gave me valacor tablets.Has anyone had similar??

Many thanks   Jess

• katehudson25
    edited April 2014

Lemon, Edwards, lILI-rI, AND aPRIL THANKS SO MUCH FOIR THE SUPPORT.

lEMON i TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT jOSIE'S EMERGY. i AM SO JEALOUS.

tHANK GOODNESS i FELT MUCH BETTER THIS eVENING, SO i RESTED. TOMORROW i HAVE TO TRY TO GET MY DRUG PROGRAM TO OVERRIDE LETTING MR HAVE 10 MG OXYCODONE AND 1 MG ADIVAN A LITTLE EARLY BECAUSE I NWILL BE OUTOFTOWN

i AM SHORT A FEW PILLS.

• katehudson25
    edited April 2014

Supposedly I can't do any wine while I am having oxicodone, but maybe 1 6 0z glass won;t hurt anything.  work.. I am so much look foreward to having a good time,

Wedbesday night it will just be me my daughter Mindee and my granddaughter Riley, They will be a sight for sore eyes, I can;t wait to see them. I will probably look worse than usual if that is possible becasue i am being Picked up st 5 am to go to the airport. I land in Chicago at 2, So hopefully she can pick me up by 4 for an early dinner. Thursday night it will be me mindee, Riley, My son Michael, daughter in law marie, and Emma, Molly, and Christopher my son's three. The only greandchild I won't get to see is Maddie my oldest who was 21 on Saturday,Thhursday night my coiusins Rick and Jules and t their 2 youngest JADE and hOLDEN WILL PROBABLY BE THERE. tHEN SOME BEST FRIENDS FROM dENVER , oN sUNDAY NY LAST FULL DAY MY COUSINS ARE HAVING A BRUNCH FOR ME. i HOPE MY HEALTH HOLDS UP, BUT BEING WITH FZMILY IT USUALLY DOES. i AM SO WPED OUT ai NBETTER  FINIFH UP TOMORROW

ALOVE,

AKAT

• brooksidevt
    edited April 2014

Edwards, my oldest son and family always stay in a hotel when they come here--with little kids, they like to be where there is a pool.  The middle kid always goes back home (two hour drive), and the youngest stays here.  Each to his own, as they say.

Lemon, definitely a margarita IV is called for.  I guess you won't feel like doing much else for a couple of days, so they might as well provide a party. We'll all be in your pocket hoisting cocktail glasses (the heck with the cake balls this time).  Hope the clinking and slurping don't keep you awake.   I'm so interested in hearing how it all goes. I know one woman who did it and she is very, very happy. 

• brooksidevt
    edited April 2014

Jessozzie, I forget how to spell it, but you probably have a very normal radiation thing called radiation folliculitis or some such.  I think most everybody gets it to some extent.  It comes toward the end of treatment and is itchy?  They gave me cortisone cream, which did help.  Your tech or nurse or RO can let you know for sure.  Anyway, I very much hope this is what you are experiencing, absolutely not shingles!

Almost there, Kate! Can't wait to hear all about your trip and your family.  Are they as glamourous as you?

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2014

Jessozzie, I too doubt you have shingles, at least I sure hope you don't.  They usually are tiny little pustule like things which join to form in a kind of circle, sort of like a patch of poison oak or ivy (I've had shingles twice).  Blistering is pretty common with rads too as it's the skin reacting and sometimes will end up opening up as open sores.  Your RO should have some creams he can give you.  I found that Aloe and/or Calendula cream worked well for me with just the regular radiation induced inflamation, and when my skin started breaking down then I think I progressed thru 3 different prescription creams.  It does all heal though, which is the good news.  Good luck to you, it looks like you're on about week 5 of radiation so you'll be done soon.....hang in there.

Kate, what a fun trip you'll have seeing everyone.  No wonder you needed all those girly girl clothes.  Enjoy, and sleep when you can.....

• josie123
    edited April 2014

Lemon, yes I have been busy but really have to push myself sometimes.I don't have as much energy as you think.I usually get to sleep in a little(8am) on the weekends but not this weekend.Saturday when I needed the most sleep I was awakened by my mother calling and felt sleep deprived and kind of draggy most of the day.It didn't help that we had so much to do that day.We promised my dad we would help move a boat out of his deceased friends backyard.The family gave it to him and he sure didn't belong moving it.And of course the painting project.Uggg.We were painting until like almost midnight.But still didn't get the walls done.That will probably be this weekend.Whatever possessed us to start a project like that the day before Easter? I like to have it together for Easter morning and instead felt like I was flying by the seat of my pants.Luckily no one saw the house besides us.

Im sure your getting nervous about your upcoming procedure.Let's start planning the pocket party now.We will be there for you.

• josie123
    edited April 2014

Kate, hope your day goes ok and you get to bed early tonight sounds like you have a great trip planned .I'm so happy for you.You'll be so busy you won't even think about your health.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited April 2014

Hi Y'all!

What an active thread...cake balls yum...pockets loaded fun...tickets ready...leaving on an airplane...:)))

Jessozzie - think its rad rash not shingles...Brookside and Sew are right...ask for some 2.5% hydrocortisone and mix with emu oil or whatever your RO recommends...I did for weeks after rads until the skin settled down. Also try free boobing...cami with the girl slipped out and breathing freely...feels great:)

SAB - happy Passover and we feel those hugs!  When is your book signing tour!

Gemini4 - good to hear for you:)))

Kate - oh my running errands...hope you are feeling better, moving well, leg behaving, and hair just right!  We are all in your suitcase..,yes, that is why they are so heavy...cakeballs, margaritas, chips, ole!  Spoil those grandkids and soak up all the family time you can...enjoy your time in Chicago:D. Sending thoughts and prayers your way...we love you so,

Diane - Ooo who Zumba and yoga and Wing funded exercise beats a treadmill any day:) go girl!

April - ahh, the sugar rush provided by a doting GMa:))) fun

BigD - how's it up north!  Bluebonnets are so pretty...

Joan - precious pic! Beautiful girls...you are so blessed...I remember my grandmother once saying how sad it made her when my mom would bash my dad...her son...we love our kids...flaws and all...they have our hearts:)))

Josie - yippee a paint brush party:) busy you:). Come over I need to touch up paint and take down wall paper but I'm not getting up on the 10' ladder anymore...going to hire it out...Armand body just say no!  Hope dd loves the new look:)

Lil - wow, it is really a tight tight squeeze in these pockets...Sew, BigD, Janis, and you know et al...we gotta go carb less...:))) your poor dr better behave or he will feel pain...right:))) fingers&toes crossed for only the best and truth...

Lemon - in your pocket on 5/5 :D sending calm confident thoughts&prayers for bmx&diep!  Yoga breathing...ommm. Or Xanax or both:)

Janis - Ooo who cake balls galore delicious:). No wonder the pockets are so heavy:)))

Missing some voices here...RunFree, GiGil, Bunkie, ndgrrl, and a few others...must be all the Spring Break celebration and flowers and grass and life!

Headed off shopping...my hubby's favorite pastime....I want lake time!  Oh well, soon!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• katehudson25
    edited April 2014

Brookside, Sew, Josie, and Cindy thanks so much for the support.

Cindy my hair is being worked on in about a half hour. It will be so wonderful to have you all in my suitcase with cakeballs and margaritas.

I am going to spoil my grandchildren with as many hugs, kisses, jewelry ala Claires trucks for my only grandson etc I can't wait.

I hope I can get a little sleep tonight. I am being picked up at 5am tomorrow to go to the airport

Even the weather in Chicago is cooperating. It is much nicer now than it has been.

• justmejanis
    edited April 2014

I want to thank you all for being with me this morning for my test.  I don't know that I could have done it without you.  I knew you were there.  They told me before the test that it was 'uncomfortable'...well, not even close. They told me to find my 'happy place' and focus as hard as I could on deep breathing and finding that happy place.  Terrible rotten test.  They attempted to insert the probe into the left nostril, with my deviated septum she said that was best.  No go.  After much poking and MISERY they changed to the right one.  That was not fun, then to lie flat and have to drink sips od saline (gag gag) and only swallow once, that was tough.  I had to have ten swallows of saline and then they gave me what they called banana Jello, which did not resemble Jello at all.  It was a gel flavored with banana.  Ten swallows of that and it was finally over.  Nasty test and glad I never have to do that again.  She said my 'small' hiatal hernia was larger and made the test more difficult.  I have a consult with the surgeon next Tuesday and he has to see these test results to make sure I can have the procedure.  Anyway my happy place was you ladies, focusing on you in that pocket gave me the strength to get through it.  Thanks one and all.

Lili we are all here for your party.  I will bring cake balls of course.  Three flavors this time.  You will hopefully feel all of the love.

Kate, I know you will have a wonderful trip no matter what.  I am excited for you.  Have a blast.  I hope you feel really good and can enjoy getting out with your family.

Sew....I can't imagine having that hose down my nose for 24 hours.  Brave woman!  Did the new med take your symptoms away?

• josie123
    edited April 2014

Janis, I'm glad it's over for you.I'm sorry it was so uncomfortable.It was very crowded in that pocket.

Let's have anouther pocket party tommorow for Lil

And Thursday is my follow up ultrasound on my ovaries.There is plenty of room in my pockets for a pocket party.If you don't mind the sloshing from all the water I have to drink.Winking

• josie123
    edited April 2014

BTW I think April 24 marks the 1 yr anniversary of my rads finish.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2014

Janis, yes pal, didn't want to tell you too much about it or you wouldn't go!  It is miserable trying to get the blasted tube down.  Mine didn't work on the first side either, so they started again and worked on the other nostril.  And while I didn't have to eat some sort of weird jello type stuff, I did have to eat 3 "regular" meals. Over my 24 hours.  Ugh.  As to my current med, yes it works as long as I don't over eat, or eat lots of sweets...like chocolate Easter bunnies, which I am still trying to work off.  If my system gets too overloaded then it does take several days to get it back in order.  Tight clothing is still a no no and taking a snooze after meals has to be done sitting up.  Outside of that, I'm good to go.  I'll have another endoscopy in the fall to check on the baretts cell changes.  So.....hope they found good information on you and they can come up with a plan for you. 

• justmejanis
    edited April 2014

Josie will be at the PP for LIli tomorrow and yours on Thursday.  I remember having to drink all that water for a pelvic ultrasound.  It sure is a good thing I love water so much.  Will be there cheering you on!

Sew, yes, it was a nasty test.  The gal who administered it said many people can't complete it, some actually pull the probe out and bail.  Some panic, have to quit.  It sure was tempting.  I am glad I didn't have to do the 24 hour test.  This is all the surgeon needs to make a determine about doing the surgery.  I am seeing him one week from today so will know then what is next.