Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2014

Oh, so much going on....and thanks again for the sweet comments on my grandaughters...they went to NJ to visit in their home town from where they moved last September.  I miss them already.

April, how wonderful that you have an "instant" grandchild!  A new baby on the way...it will be a wonderful year for you.

This morning I got a wonderful text with photo of a brand new baby boy - the daughter of my dear friend from work who is now retired (her first grandchild).  Gorgeous baby...it made me cry.  Such a miracle, always!

Janis, was with you....I would have panicked.  bailed.  begged for sedation.  anything ...and Sew, I think you told her plenty...but some things just have to be experienced to even be believed.  Who dreams up this stuff?  A man, of course?  I hope you get results that will allow remedy for you.

Lil, Josie, I'm in for the pocket parties...and in Kate's suitcase...whew!  It will be tight in space and time.  Hugs and prayers all around. 

Speaking of chocolate....I gained 5 pounds over the past week or so.  I hope it comes off soon.  I have a bad time of cravings when I allow my self to eat fast acting carbs and sweets.

I have just 7 days of classes left spread over 3 weeks.  I can see the light! 
    Run, I hope you are having a good semester...I think you are on different timing though. 
    SAB, I hope your passover was a special time for your family. 

Kate, I hope you are getting sleep.  I think I would have a hard time...I'd be very excited.
    Wishing you smooth travels and best of health while you are away...enjoy your time and let them pamper you.  I often prefer a hotel and I think you will enjoy the comfortable rest after your busy days.  Spoil them rotten....

Back to grading papers...

Hoping to hear good reports here soon.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited April 2014

I am all excited. I am all packed. My hair extensions came out great. The first time I've been without a wig in 6 months.

Tomorrow children, grandchildren and fun who could ask for anything more. Except maybe pretty hair extensions lol

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited April 2014

So glad that test is over, Janis, and so happy you didn't know what you were in for.  But, unlike so many others, you were victorious, and now they know what they need to knowl  Kate must have Fed X'd the princess warrior coat over to you. Do remember to ask about that recently approved LINX procedure..  As it's laparoscopic, it sure sounds like a desireable alternative to the standard procedure. 

All in for the pocket party.  I've just gained 10 pounds, so multiple cake balls are required to "keep up my figure."

Is today the day, Kate?  Bon voyage, glamour girl.  Can't wait to hear all about the trip.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited April 2014

Josie- so relate to the labor in painting. It is so time consuming and the clean up is a pain. Husband said he would rather have a root canal than paint. Ouch! We sprung for a painting company to do a lot of the painting. Got his name from Angie's List. Looks awesome. He had the most reasonable prices. We have so much stuff to do in the house or we would have done it ourselves. We even had all the mirrors in the bathrooms framed at Michaels. You guys wouldn't believe how cool that looks changed the whole look of the bathrooms. We have out off all of this financing our kids through college. All graduated so its our time. 

Kate - have a great time; you do deserve it!

Temps in the 70s so getting the lawn mower out. Diane 

• edwards750
    edited April 2014

Joan - I gained weight too from pigging out on chocolate too but I'm too chicken to get on the scales. Ignorance is bliss for me.

• edwards750
    edited April 2014

BigD I wish my Onc was as sympathetic about weight gain on Tamoxifen. When I mentioned that to her she promptly told me she had a patient who lost 40 lbs on it. Seriously? Good for that person but she is n the minority. It's really discouraging sometimes because you watch what you eat and still doesn't help. Diane 

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2014

Brookside I meant to reply to your PM, sorry!  The regular procedure is laparoscopic I found out yesterday.  The nurse who did the procedure told me the surgeon I am seeing is awesome.  She said this is his specialty and recovery is very quick.  That reassured me, but I thought the article was interesting and want to ask him about it.  Many thanks!

Joan I felt like bailing trust me.  I am so glad you can see the light at the end of the tunnel as far as work goes.  I so hope you can find some quiet time and do something that you enjoy.  Like rest a bit! 

Lili, I am in your pocket today and it is already getting crowded.  Wishing the very best Sweetie....please let us know how everything went. 

Josie, it is your turn tomorrow and I am always prepared to bring the cake balls.  Today I am making chocolate cupcakes, with a light creamy filling and lots of frosting.  We were invited to our new neighbors behind us.  They are a middle aged gay couple, and so nice.  The house had been a rental for years and we had some pretty bad neighbors.  We were so relieved when the owner told us he was sick of the problems and decided just to sell it.  Arden and Eduardo are wonderful and I am thrilled they bought it.  Arden is turning 60, Eduardo came by last night to invite us over.  He is making homemade Mexican food, YUM!  I can't do a gift but figured he would enjoy homemade cupcakes.  I am off to Crocker!  :)

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited April 2014

Diane, yeah I only wish we could hire a professional.But that's not in the budget.

I agree with your husband it's like a root canal. We didn't have enough plastic to cover all the carpet and now have these drips on it.It's ruined anyway but hopefully I can get it out.We've needed new carpet for a while.Not in the budget either.My hubby and I won't get it done this weekend since we're babysitting for my disabled 40 yr old BIL. 

Thanks Janis for being in my pocket tomorrow and bringing the cake balls.

I have to go into work afterwards for like 4 hours.RottenBawling I haven't heard back from that other job so I'm guessing I won't .I have to get out soon.They are on my last nerve.I can't seem to assert myself enough to make them realize I am only one person and If you pile on too many BMDs I will be in the same boat I was in around the Holidays.Stressed with charts piling up everywhere.I don't want to be like that again.I don't care how much they want to increase the numbers.

Sorry I promised myself I wasn't going to vent like that again on here.

Oh well, just kind of depressed tonight and not sure what to do.

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited April 2014

Brookside, Josie and Cindy- Margarita's all around on Cinco De Mayo, I am paying. I will have large pockets for you all. ((hugs)) thank you! Today I don't feel nervous, I feel excited but its a roller coaster.

Kate- Happy Travels to Chicago! I hope you have a wonderful time, no doubt you will. I know how you have planned and planned and looked forward to it. I am sure your family is just as excited.

Josie- I am sorry you are having such a rotten time at work. Sorry the other place hasn't gotten back to you. Something will come your way, when its right you will know. I don't think you need to figure out what to do, sleep on it and maybe your answer will come to you. It sounds like you talk and they don't listen? If so they sure will be listening when you leave for something better! I hope it is sooner than later for you. Hang in there.

• josie123
    edited April 2014

Thanks, Lemon, feeling a bit better now. Also Margaritas sound good.I'll bring the chips and salsa.Winking

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited April 2014

Kate, hoping your trip goes smoothly today!

Janis, HUGE hugs and lots of cake balls for your after your ordeal

Lili, hoping it went well yesterday!

Josie, so sorry your job is so stressful...not fair at all.

Joan, I too gained some chocolate weight over the holiday...darn Cadbury mini-eggs...they are evil I tell ya.

Ok, wish I was like all the rest of you and able to do shout outs for all (which as you can see above, I did start to do) but I have NO time since my client is here waiting to see me cause I just got buzzed from the front desk...gotta run.

Hugs!

• edwards750
    edited April 2014

Josie - don't assume you didn't get the job yet...is there any way you can find out w/o you actually calling HR? I mean like if it was an ad you could be someone(not you of course) inquiring about the job and not know interviews are over - assuming they are. I know this sounds crazy but I cant stand not knowing no matter what it is. I did that a couple of times. I decided if they weren't going to be professional/courteous enough to let me know I didn't get it I would find out myself which I did. Or you could just call them and ask them? No crime in that and either way you will know. Sounds like you do need to bail on your present job. There is one out there for you sometimes when you least expect it. I had the job from hell a few years ago. I literally hated the job and the lady I worked with was a royal pain. She was on my case constantly. I got where I just dreaded going to work plus it wasn't paying that great or close to home. The daughter and father who owned the company were something else. He was an elderly man and really sweet - the daughter was a whack job. Anyway I had had enough and told the coworker off...end of story and job. A few months later FedEx Freight called; I had a job - better pay, benefits, etc. I had applied online for every FedEx job I was qualified for. Just saying don't give up. Diane

• josie123
    edited April 2014

Thanks Diane, I'm not sure how long I can hang on where I am.I have been praying the other job would call.I told myself If it was meant to be I will get it.At this point I'm not sure how long is too long .Because the current job I'm at actually I had like 3 interviews for 2 different positions.Didn't hear back and assumed I didn't get it and then get a phone call almost 1 month later telling me the position was filled but they had an opening in the Bone Density dept.It couldn't have come at a better time.The job I was at was like 10 times worse than this one.Oops got to go get my ultrasound done.See yah....

• justmejanis
    edited April 2014

April thanks...and hugs back to you!

We went to our neighbor's 60th birthday party last night.  Nice nice people and had a great time.  I took homemade cupcakes, chocolate with a white cream filling and a decadent chocolate frosting I piped on.  I had given them cake balls for Easter but made over 200 and I had several left over.  Arden was trying to tell the guests how great they are and describe them.  I ran home and plated all the leftovers and took them over.  They were gone so fast.  I got lots of compliments on those and the cupcakes and it as so nice.  I love baking for the sheer joy of sharing.

Josie in your pocket for the ultrasound.  I am bringing the chocolate cupcakes this time!  Keep us posted Sweetie!

• joan811
    edited April 2014

Hoping to hear good results from Lil and Josie.
    Kate, if you are reading, I'm thinking of you.

Janis, well, on to the next step for you...I hope this will bring the results you need.
    April, are those the thin candy shell Cadbury eggs, or the mini cream-filled?  Oops I should have said "were those...." as they are probably history by now.  Dh and I attacked the candy coated chocolates. 

I guess I should feel better that I am not alone in succumbing to chocolate.

Cold here today...sweater, down jacket...I hardly notice any more.

Am at work and it's a quiet day...going to make an early lunch before I start looking for the candy machine.

• brooksidevt
    edited April 2014

Josie, your previous job was ten times worse?  It's hard to imagine such a place--where you are now seems to be the absolute pits, at least when it comes to management.  I'd think if you don't hear from the other job by, say, tomorrow, or maybe Tuesday, that it would be perfectly normal to call and ask whether they've made a decision.  You are so patient.  Meanwhile, if you see those files begin to pile up, do tell your lovely bosses that you need another half day to catch up--better you point it out to them, rather than them pointing it out to you!

Janis, you absolutely the ideal neighbor---not only lovely and loving, but dispensing cakeballs and cupcakes everywhere you go.  Yummmm. 

April and Joan (and any other CT types or travellers), I think I'll be in Wilton the weekend of May 10.  Saturday is pretty much booked, but Friday and Sunday?????

• joan811
    edited April 2014

Brookside, Sunday is Mothers Day (is that why you are going?)...not sure what's planned.
    I will PM if I am available.

• brooksidevt
    edited April 2014

Saturday is my oldest granddaughter's first communion.  I guess they figure Mother's Day weekend is likely to bring extended families.   I guess they're right.  I hadn't thought of it, but i guess my children will have to fete me on Sunday.  Cool!

• LiLi-RI
    LiLi-RI Member Posts: 160
    edited April 2014

Hi Ladies-I was able to get through the dreadful procedure yesterday! If anyone wants me to share the details - just send me a PM. I am resting at home today with lots of ice! I could not have been as brave without all my cake balls in my pocket! The team at Brigham and Women's hospital were kind and compassionate. I think some Drs should take lessons on listening to us. It does make these procedures more tolerable!!! Thank you to you all....now I need to wait for the results. Cancer in the left breast within 1 year of diagnosis of cancer in right breast is too much!

• brooksidevt
    edited April 2014

So glad that is behind you, Lilli.  It just seems so unfair that you had to be poked and prodded again in that particular way.  here's hoping for a really speedy report of plain old benign.

• josie123
    edited April 2014

Lilli, I'm glad it is over with.I'm sorry you had to go through that again sweetie.It's crowded in that pocket but it was a great pocket party. 

Brookside, yes it could be worse than this current employer.I won't go there but if you really can imagine 2 crazy women hired specifically to run this Doctors office.But the daughter was the office manager.The mother absolutely hated me.I stayed as long as I could until I found this job.The stress was unimaginable.Sometimes I wonder if that amount of stress could of caused my cancer.I know that sounds far fetched but maybe.

Thanks for being with this morning everyone.

Won't get results probably till I see Doc next Thursday.Fingers crossed.

• edwards750
    edited April 2014

Yes it is Lili. Not fair at all. Once is definitely enough. We're pulling for you. 

Brook side- I remember my youngest son's first communion. There is something so sweet and angelic about those children all dressed up esp the girls with their white dresses and veils. Ah..the memories. Diane 

• katehudson25
    edited April 2014

Brookside, Edwards750, Lemon68, April and Joan thanks so much for the support.

I am having a fabulous time. Everything seemed to work out. My daughter who is a serious critic loves my hair extensions, so I suppose they really do look good. The best part is I feel like my old self. I don't have to be self conscious about hair.

The flight has been the only tough thing about the trip. The flight itself was ok, but lymphedema and flying just don't go together. The flight was jam packed with no room for me to walk around, but everything else about the trip has been wonderful.

Wednesday night it was just me and my daughter, and although I was dying to see my grandchildren and my son.   I loved having this quality time with her. Tears and laughter and a good time. What else can be better.

Last night my daughter and granddaughter( her youngest daughter) (my oldest grandchild has finals and can't come in this trip) my son, daughter-in-law, and his three. Plus my cousin, his wife and two children went to Fuddruckers. The kids love it there because of the games.

Tonight my son is about to pick me up for a dinner prepared by my daughter-in-law.

The trip is going by too fast. I am having a wonderful time, and I am so glad it is working out that way.

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited April 2014

Kate, so glad you are having a great time!  I bet it is wonderful to be with your family.  Enjoy every minute of it!  You deserve it.

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited April 2014

Kate.. Yahoooo... I am so happy to hear you are having a wonderful time!! Enjoy.

Josie- I don't have to tell you too keep busy! But enjoy the weekend while you wait, I know its hard.

• josie123
    edited April 2014

Kate, so glad your having so much fun.

Lemon, thanks I will be busy.We are babysitting for my mentally disabled brother in law.While the in laws go visit their new great grandson

• brooksidevt
    edited April 2014

So nice to hear you're having such a lovely time, Kate.  Of course, we knew it would be an awesome visit, but it's still nice to hear all the super details.  Having any thoughts of cancelling that return flight?

Spring is finally sprung.  Except for a tiny bit, all the snow is gone, and all those outside and inside spring chores are waiting for me.  Probably everybody else too? 

• justmejanis
    edited April 2014

I love the early signs of spring.  We actually started a few weeks ago.  We have already had to cut the grass 3 times and it needs another.  Yards here are so pretty with all the spring flowers.  Lots and lots of daffodils and tulips up.  All of my little violas are up and adding much needed color to the front.  We are having a good size vegetable garden, 24'x24'.  We have been working on it for weeks, clearing out all the weeds and preparing the soil.  We planted a lot of garlic along the perimeter as it is supposed to help keep the insects away.  We don't use anything chemical in our garden.  We already have a lot of lettuce, volunteers from last year.  Oh we planted onions.  Lots more to come.  I love having a veggie garden!

Josie, how sweet of you to care for your BIL.  How long will he be with you?  I am sure your in-laws are thrilled to be able to visit the new baby.  It is really great that you were able to do this for them.  I know you are always busy, you have such a big heart to do so much to help.  Big hugs to you Sweetie!

Kate, that is fantastic you are having such a great visit.  I bet everyone is thrilled to see you.  I hope you continue to feel well.  Enjoy all the special times with your family.

Shout outs to all and hugs all around.

• katehudson25
    edited April 2014

Big D beating, Lemon, Josie, and Brookside and Janis  thanks so much for the support.

Brookside I only wish I could cancel the return flight ticket, but for many reasons I can't, and it will be very sad for me to leave here Monday.

Last night my daughter-in law cooked for us. Normally I like very spicy food , but I told Marie that I need to limit my salt. I asked doc the most important things for me to stay feeling well for the trip and he said, limit salt, drink a lot of water, take a 3rd Oxycodone if I need it for pain, and take Milk of Magnesia. So, even though I hate bland foods I am going to limit my salt. She cooked delicious chicken breast with olive oil, green beans, corn, baked potato, and rice. She had a number of things for dessert, but I can only eat a small amount at a time so I did not have any. 

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited April 2014

Yummmm Kate, that sounds like a fabulous meal to me!  I know it will be hard to leave.  You can look forward to the next visit and focus on getting off your pain meds and continuing to feel better and stronger.  I know what you mean about dessert.  I have always had such a sweet tooth myself and now I hardly touch anything with sugar, just once in a while.  I try to reward myself with something that is really worth it and it is amazing how I look at sugar now.  It is very easy for me to say no to that and to salt which I also love.  Your body gets used to it the more you do it.  It becomes habit and the cravings go away.  But every once in awhile . . .  Anyway, have a great weekend Kate and enjoy the rest of your vacation!