Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2014

We made it to Kentucky!! It's beautiful.We got a  late start.It was almost noon when we left.But we are at the pool now.Our cabin is right next to the pool.The kids are swimming in the dark.I'm the life guard so I better go.Don't worry there is a dawn to dusk light.

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited June 2014

Hi everyone!  Sorry have not been on much this week.  It has been very hectic for me at work and I have been going to bed early -- been feeling my age lately!

April, that is the best news about your son, DIL, and of course the baby!  Time for a happy dance!  That is such a relief for you and the whole family.

Josie, my heart goes out to you.  And, btw, LOVE the photo of the family!  Thanks for sharing!  I have to agree what many have said here, go on vacation and take a break from the stress.  Try and put it behind you until you get back here. They may be just simply expanding and hiring that new person to help.  But the stress on you is terrible and I am so very sorry you are having to go through this.  You cannot read people's minds but it seems to me if firing you was in the picture right now, they would do it prior to you going on vacation.  I do not know what your benefits are but where I work, I would not get paid for any vacation time accrued if I was fired.  I know other places are different.  And I also agree that stress is a terrible thing, it eats away at you and we all know it is not good for your health.  With us, and our dx here, it is even more important to try and manage it.  I know easier said that done sometimes.  I would need a paycheck and I would not be able to leave without another job.  I am in a situation where I only get so many days a year, sick and vacation, and I cannot save them.  I am down to 3 this year, and then I will be docked.  I have very little available savings right now, most of it went to medical bills that insurance did not cover.  I think you stay and do what you are doing, keep the logs, and let them fire you if that is what they are planning.  If there is a way you can leave and manage until you find a new job, yes, it might be worth your health to get away from that situation.  I know it is hard these days to find work, but may be a bit easier in the healthcare industry.  Just know we are here for you and care about you.

Run, so happy your daughter has a choice of colleges.  You are a great mom and no doubt it will be hard to see your daughter go off to school, but as you said, it is just a few hours away and she will be home for visits.  Not easy to let the little baby birds leave the nest.  But it will be exciting to watch her go through the experience.  I think college was my favorite years, but yes I was homesick.  It got better after the first year.  I think for my mother too.

DDOL:  I used RadiaGel during my treatments.  That is all my RO wanted me to use.  I had no skin issues at all and I am very fair.  I did shower every day but used Dove body soap which is very mild.  They did not want me using anything with perfumes in it.  I also used Aquaphor from time to time on my own, and I also wore tank tops the entire time.  I did not know what would happen with my skin and did not to wear bras, but I am small chested and probably made a difference as well.  I was not too fatigued, but everyone is different.  I worked all the way through and felt the fatigue the last two weeks of treatment and two weeks after treatment.  But not bad. 

My appt to see the neurosurgeon is July 1.  Will see MO two days after I see the neuro doc.  I am okay, not freaking out and ready for whatever comes my way.  I just want to know what it is and I want it to be done with so I can move on to whatever treatment is necessary.

Hugs and more hugs to everyone!

Joan

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited June 2014

Josie, have a great time in Kentucky with your family. Perfect time for you to escape!

Joan, sounds like you are doing good and handling things as they come. Great attitude, your in my prayers as always

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2014

Hi just checking in - been reading along here but way too busy to post.
    Can't sleep this night...and now birds are singing. 
    I will go back and try for a few hours....
    Stressful week...next week is the END of work and summer begins!
    First up, a trip to Southern IL and then Chicago.  Then a visit from DD#1 and grandsons.
    (maybe after that I can rest!)
    Hugs to all, and I am sending prayers for all the needs here.
    xoxo

Joan811

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited June 2014

Josie, I hope you have a marvelous time in Kentucky with your family. It is a great time to de-stress and put work in your rearview mirror and enjoy your family and have fun!! Loved the photo of them btw..thanks for sharing!

Run, what an exciting time for your DD! I remember it well. My daughter could have had a free ride at an instate school as they offered her a full 4 year scholarship, (UCONN) but she said it would be like an extension of high school as a lot of her friends were going there so she narrowed it down to two schools in the Northeast (laundry distance as they love to call it) and between UMASS Amherst and URI, she ended up at URI due to an offer of 48K Presidential scholarship! She could not pass that up. 12K per year towards tuition/room and board if she maintained a B average. It worked out beautifully and she ended up graduating magna with a dual degree in Philosophy and Psychology. Since there is not a lot of call for Philosophers since the days of Plato and Kierkegaard, she ended up going to BU Law...LOL She is now an Attorney in Boston and loves it!

Lemon, I have olive skin and I did do well with rads, but I had the abbreviated 1 week, twice a day, intense partial breast rads, so not sure if that played in to it but it must have. Although I had what amounts to all boosts, it worked out well for me in the end. We shall see if it did its job I guess. It was a clinical trial as they are still studying this type of rads for early stage breast cancer in women over the age of 50 who had lumpectomy only.

DDOL, I used emu oil and Eucerin only. I did great! But, if you read above what I wrote to Lemon, that may be why. Hang in there!

Joan/BigD, hoping you have a good visit with neuro on July 1st and find out that it is not anything really bad after all. I am a little psychic (family thing) and I just don't get a bad feeling about this and I am hoping that I am right!! Hugs and know we are there with you on Tuesday and will await your post.

Joan811, you are always a whirlwind, like our Cindy! I get tired reading about all that you both do and the traveling (which is exhausting but exciting) that you both do. I am a real homebody these days.

Son and DIL and baby girl are doing well. I am so excited. She is due on Oct. 28th and I can't wait!!

Better go since I am in work! TGIF!!!

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited June 2014

Brookside--I too was worried--about both tattoos and stickers.  When I went for my RO consultation, they told me they used stickers and that it was important they not come off, but if they did, I wasn't to reapply them but come eight in w/o appointment and they would fix.   I am very allergic to adhesives, so I freaked and they got one and put it on me, and told me to wear it for a few days to see if anything happened.  Nothing.  they look about the size of a Vivelle dot estrogen patch maybe size of a penny or a nickel. they used black permanent markers too.   Worked really well, and as they no longer needed the mark, they took them off.  trickiest one was between my two breasts, that are perspires and needed replacing more often.  Last week, I had them put a tattoo there so if the worst happens, we know where the radiation field ended.

• april485
    edited June 2014

I had tattoos and they are so tiny, you really have to look hard to find them. No one but me can really see them cause I know where to look. For me, it was crucial that they got it right since I was getting a lot of greys in one small area (partial breast rads) and I had a CT scan daily to make sure they got it in the exact spot. I had a form made for my whole body that I crawled into daily and then I had to lie perfectly still for a good amount of time each day, twice a day. My rads took about 25 mins each session. Thank goodness they played good hard core rock and roll in there! They asked me what kind of music I like and when I said "Rock it out" they smiled and all of a sudden the Stones came blasting in! My team of techs was fantastic!

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited June 2014

Yea; vacation time! Have fun Josie. My nephew lives in Louisville. Kentucky is such a beautiful state. DH and I put our beach vacation on hold because our a/c system is on life support. When it goes its going to cost 7-8k. Yikes! 

Big D - I can relate about medical expenses. We have a huge deductible on our BCBS plan so we had a lot of out of pocket expenses early on. The good thing though was after we satisfied that it was 100% which worked out well because my 33 RADS treatments were covered totally. I can't imagine what we would have done if we had to pay for those treatments which ran about 35k. 

Have a nice weekend everyone! 

Diane 

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited June 2014

Best BDay...family at Crystal Cove CA...Ooo who...sand castles:)

Y'all are here in my pocket feel the breeze, sound of the surf, wiggle toes in the sand!  

Shout outs to all!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• Sunshineinky
    Sunshineinky Member Posts: 61
    edited June 2014

Oh Cindy I cannot wait to be done with active treatment and healed so I can go to a beach!!

Have fun and enjoy that beautiful breeze and sand!

• Redheaded1
    edited June 2014

Cindy---let me out of your pocket RIGHT NOW--while you are still on he beach---and just leave me with my butt in the sand until your vacation is over.    haven't been to the beach for several years, I am so jealous.   Its hot again today, but maybe not as humid. Or it could be because I took a shower and my hair is too wet for me to notice it.....

• BigDBeatingBigC
    edited June 2014

Cindy -- I wanna be there -- looks so fun!  Happy happy BDay!!  I hope you have enough room in those pockets for Monday!  I will try not to be too loud, but no promises :)  Redheaded and I are going to the beach with you next time!

Lemon, thinking of you too, hope you are feeling better and better each day.

Joan, here's to the end of a stressful week!  Vacation will be wonderful, enjoy every minute of it!  You deserve it.  Then a big rest for you!

April, thank you and I hope your psychic intuition is correct!  I will be glad to have a diagnosis so I can move forward with tx if necessary.  I feel that no matter what it turns out to be it will be treatable and at least give me enough time to enjoy a few years more.  Just happy to have you and everyone else along for the ride!

Diane, yeah, medical expenses are a b____ and I work for a small company, so we cannot afford top of the line, but what we have is pretty darn good, considering.  After my deductible and out of pocket was paid, I pay 20% but some things are paid at 100% - like the genetic testing, which I was surprised about.  And some things, like the rads treatments, I only had to pay a co-pay of $20 each time, so that was a blessing as well.  We are more worried about what comes next year because we know that the cost of insurance is going to skyrocket for us next year.  So I am hoping I can get done what I need this year and then go about the task of paying back the monies I had to borrow to pay my part this year.  Still, I realize we have it better than so many, so I try not to complain too much.

Bunkie, how are you?  I think about you girl.

Josie, enjoy that vacation!  Rest, have fun, don't think about anything else right now.

Brookside, I had stickers and marks too.  Did not bother me at all.  In fact, my first tx day was St. Patrick's Day and I insisted the tech draw a big green shamrock on me -- he said "What?  Are you kidding me?"  I said no, and make it pretty.  So he just laughed and drew it on.  It took about a week for it to wear away.  The tape they put on -- some would come off although I tried to be very careful in the shower, but all in all, they stuck and at the end, they told me to let them come off on their own, but I took some emu oil and worked them off myself.  I did not have any problems with them.

Shout out to you GiGiL and to RunFree - hope you are having a nice weekend.

Always thinking about you too, Kate.  Hope you are getting stronger each day and will come back to us soon!

Love and hugs to you all!

Big D/Joan

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152
    edited June 2014

Sunshine,  I hope your skin issue resolves this weekend.  I have 3 more boosts and my skin is doing well...so far. Holding my breath!   I am in a clinical trial, so I hope 22 rads are enough.

BigD, I know what you mean about expenses.  I'm sure our insurance will get more expensive next year and I hope to get some little things (which seemed large before dx) taken care of this year.  Glad meds are generic and on our formula. 

Does everyone (except me) get a bone scan and an echo cardiogram before beginning "The Pills"?

• Sunshineinky
    edited June 2014

What kind are you taking ohiofan? I'm on tamoxifen and the only test I got was one to check my estrogen levels.  

I have retiree health insurance.  My premium is paid at 100%.  I'm so thankful for my health insurance and how good it's been to me through all of this! 

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited June 2014

Happy Birthday Cindy.  You enjoy every minute of your beach time with family.  Is there anything better?  

BigD/Joan thinking about you and I have positive feelings as well.  

Is Janis around or has she left for her birthday get together?  

Hi to everyone else.  I went with DH to get a new car for him today.  He gets so attached to his cars.  Glad that is over for a few more years.

• BigDBeatingBigC
    edited June 2014

Hi ohiofan!  I had 16 whole and 5 boosts, so I hope it was enough as well! 

GiGiL, thank you, wow new car will make your DH very happy I would think!  Yes, men love their cars, haha.

I have been lurking around the bone mets thread, just in case I find myself there in the near future and today someone posted a video that really touched my heart.  I want you all to see it.  It really makes you think about what problems we all face and how we should be more considerate of each person we come in contact with because you really don't know what someone is going through.  We all have our issues, happy times, and difficult times.  Anyway, have a look when you have a moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDDWvj_q-o8

• 3rdtimenow
    3rdtimenow Member Posts: 126
    edited June 2014

Hi everyone, I am a newbie here, but not new to breast cancer, this is my 3rd diagnosis. I had surgery in May and will be starting radiation in a couple of weeks. I did have radiation on my left breast 13 years ago and did pretty well, not many issues, and I went to work every day. This time In addition to being 13 years older, I am a  lot more stressed out. I had local radiation 3 years ago on the right breast. This time I will be having whole breast radiation and more to the chest wall again. I also have saline implants now, so the risks sound much greater. Has any one been through second radiation on the same breast after mastectomy? Thanks in advance for any replies. Best of luck to all of us.

• Sunshineinky
    edited June 2014

BigD that video was amazing.  Thanks for sharing it! 

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2014

3rdtimenow, I'm so very sorry to hear you're facing this again.  How terribly difficult.  I can not offer any specific information for you, as I only had rads once.  I wish I could.  I think at this point you just have to trust your medical team to do the best thing for you.  I expect all the normal precautions should be followed...like good hydration, lots of protein, exercise daily but not overdoing it, lots and lots of cream and rest as needed.  It sounds like you've got a good fighting spirit, and that will certainly help too.  There may be someone on the mastectomy threads or even on the stage 4 threads who has done rads twice on the same side.  I'm sending you a big ((hug)) in the hopes that helps. 

• april485
    edited June 2014

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!

Hi to all the rest of you! xoxox

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2014

Cindy,    Are you sure you aren't sending us a postcard picture? Happy   That looks tooooooooo idyllic.  Just lovely.  Happy Birthday, and here's hoping you're having another fine day on the water

• Rosiesride
    Rosiesride Member Posts: 197
    edited June 2014

Sunshineinky...I had a bone scan that MO ordered...I will also get my hormone levels checked on Aug. 4 with my gynecologist as I was not in official menopause at start of chemo (54 years old...really???)...my gyno set up my appointment before I even started chemo, knowing I would be getting a "pill" after treatment and she wanted to have a baseline of my uterus (I have had a fibroid for years they have been watching)...I had a sonogram and now she wants to check me again before I start the pill...my MO then wants to see me after that appointment in regard to the hormone level to see if I am in menopause as well as bone scan results...then he will have more info. on which drug to put me on...of course we are concerned of bone loss and also risk of uterine cancer since I still have all my parts...it's always something!!  

I went to the beach for the first time in months!  I have an awesome tent that I got from costco and it's a quick pop up that I can do myself but I usually go with someone...I also make sure I am covered up and wear sunscreen...there is no way I can not go to our beach as I live in a beachtown and that is my favorite thing!!!  So , it is doable if you are prepared!  HOpe you can get there...as for the swimming, I am just walking back and forth in our community pool in the low end...at least it's something...I have a feeling once rads start, actually submerging my chest in the water will not be a great idea...just want to be doing something!  Tired of inactivity...lots of luck to you and everyone!! Rosie

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited June 2014

Rosiesride, I too live in a beach town and love to sit by the ocean.  When I was having radiation I wasn't allowed to swim in pools or take baths, but I was encouraged to swim in the bay or ocean, which I did.  The salt water was so soothing to my skin, and I always saw improvement after swimming in the bay. I also wore an SPF 40 "rash shirt" made for swimming, to protect my  radiated skin from the sun, it worked great., and I still wear one when I swim or joust sit on the beach.  J Crew and I think ll bean now sell them and they r not too expensive.

• 3rdtimenow
    3rdtimenow Member Posts: 126
    edited June 2014

Thank you Mostlysew, for your response and for the hug, it does help. Stephanie

• rettemich
    rettemich Member Posts: 59
    edited June 2014

BigD, that was awesome, I "made" my family sit and watch it!!  It was good for them. Especially my 20 yr old dd who is all wrapped up in her social life. But, that wants to be a PT - Nutritionist

Thanks so much for sharing.

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited June 2014

Big D, thanks for posting the link. It was filmed at the Cleveland Clinic, where my mom was a brain patient, my dad a heart patient and me a BC/diep patient. I cannot say enough positive things about the facility. The dog you see if just one of many that walk the halls and go to the waiting rooms all day, I had a very nice buddy waiting 7 hours while my mom was in brain surgery, really made a difference/ By the way my parents are healthy and traveling the country enjoying life! I have seen the video quite a few times and am touched by it each time.

((HUGS))

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2014

Just stopping in to say hello. I am running between Dr apts again. No test has produced anything we need to fix me up. I keep going. Looks like it may really be menieres. Darn it. Another non curable auto immune disease. That makes 3 so far. If U of Mi can not get me figured out I too will be headed to Cleveland Clinic.

Cindy - Happy birthday! OMG take me out of your pocket too. That is what I needed to see with all this wet soggy rain we have been having.

3rdtimenow - I am so sorry. I agree with Sew that I can not add much after just having rads once but good luck and prayers to you.

BigD - I am hangin in there. Were you dizzy too?

Shout out to everyone. Will check in later.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2014

Bunkie, I was chatting with a lady who was wearing a neck brace.  Why?  Vertigo.  The brace (actually, a soft, bandage-ish collar) was meant to keep her head from turning.  She said she'd been pretty fine until she went for some sort of positional treatment, and was now really dizzy.  I guess the doc figured that if tipping her here and there did not work, maybe keeping her inner ear still would do the trick.  As you know, this is my approach too.  I thought of you, of course, and wonder how your PT is going? 

While I do have Meniere's, I've never thought of it as auto-immune, but as stress-related.  I suppose the two are pretty much the same, huh?

Happy birthday, Cindy.  I hope you danced away the years all weekend long. 

• Redheaded1
    edited June 2014

Ohiofan---I didn't get a single type of test after I was done with rads before I started my pill (Arimidex).  Talked to Onc's nurse when I had a SE a week in and asked her if we didn't at least need some blood work and she said they would do it at my next visit (August) after I'm 3 months into the med.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2014

Brookside - You are right it is not auto immune. There is some reference to it being diagnosed along with other auto immune diseases. I think they call it a syndrome or something. There is a possibility mine is also nuerosarcoidosis. I don't even want to think about that. Devil

PT is going like we thought. I wake up and start spinning. Do my exercises and spin and then it calms back down just before I go to sleep. Be glad you avoided them. If this fails I will go back to holding my head still most of the time. Like you I got pretty good at turning me whole body to look to my right or left.

Josie so glad you are on vacation. You really need to destress. Stinkin job....and Kentucky is really lush and green and pretty. The food is fabulous also. They have some kind of stew to die for. Enjoy.