Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2014

Josie, what a nice family photo.  Everyone looks so happy.  Are those your parents in the middle?  Sarah is absolutely gorgeous!  Boy, how I wished, when I was her age, that my hair (not blonde, and not straight) would grow that long. Those were the days when we ironed our hair to straighten it, but I couldn't get mine long enough to dare try that.  Thank goodness for those modern day hair curlers/straighteners! 

As for the reasonable accomodation,  I'll try to find what I wrote. 

Big D, is your forehead tender because you keep poking at it (that's what I'd be doing!)?

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited June 2014

Josie, love the picture.  What a lovely family you have.  I am working on the letter, so Brookside, any info you can shoot over to me would be helpful.  I am also doing research as you read this, so the letter will be correctly stated.  

BigD you are a card.  That should make your MO laugh.  If he has a plan, he may have had time to think it through and has digested all of the information and has some ideas now.  Good.  

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2014

Brookside and Gigil thanks.Those are actually my in laws Brookside.My FIL is the one who will be having the stem cell transplant.We really had a nice meal.Yes my DD does have the long beautiful hair.She keeps it all pulled back in a bun at work .

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited June 2014

Josie- lovely family picture! Still no meeting- now who is disorganized?

BigD - love the lights idea! You are too funny. 

Blessed teacher- another round of RADS has to be tough. I did have 33 treatments and except for the fatigue halfway through it I didn't have any issues thankfully. I do know several people who had horrific burning. Hope you feel better. 

Diane 

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited June 2014

Big D-- I know what is wrong with you---you still have your sense of humor......I bet that is located right where your tender spot is---- and of course, non of the medical folks would recognize it..... PROBLEM SOLVED GIRLFRIEND.   I want some twinklie lights too----how do we turn them on and off???

• josie123
    edited June 2014

Thanks Diane, 

Big D thanks for the update.At least you still have your sense of humor.

Was your forehead sore before? 

Blessed teacher, welcome.I'm sorry your going through this again.It's something I often worry about.I at least have one good breast.But for how long?I still worry.

• DDOL
    DDOL Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2014

Hi   Your so right the Dr as well as ppl say radiation only makes you tired . Other wise you don't even see a change in yourself maybe a little red like sun burn but now that I am understand more nothing is easy when they tell you you have BC only we know that feeling . I start my rad tomorrow for 6 weeks so I know I will be asking my sister here for the do's and don't thank you for sharing 

Blessing 

Diane   

• josie123
    edited June 2014

DDOL, welcome and good luck with your roads.My biggest fear was really holding still and being left alone while everyone bails on  you .They can see and hear you at all times but you just have to try and relax.There was a cut out in the ceiling above the Rads table it was in the shape of a cross.That helped me remember I was not alone.

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited June 2014

Blessed Teacher, Sorry you had to go though it again. Dang! Thank you for sharing good advice. Hope you are doing okay and glad to hear its almost over for you.

Josie. love the pic. Beautiful family. It sounds like you have come to the realization that your human and doing a good job at what is given and expected of you. I am proud of you Josie, it is NOT you.

Big D, wondering what the plan is, yours is good but now I am curious what that message was about.?? Regarding your lights, at work a friend of mine and I have a saying when we feel unappreciated or irritated by others (yes, it does happen..lol) We say SHINE ON BABY! Because we think we both "shine" ..might sound silly but it makes us feel good and glamorous so from me to YOU..SHINE ON BABY!

As a matter of fact JOSIE, when you walk into that office to work I want you to say in your head "Shine on" trust me it will make you feel better and give you confidence.. we all have the right to shine in our own way.

Please send prayer for a diep thread friend her name is Kat-Ski, she is a sweetheart always full of encouragement. Her friend just posted she has 3 blood clots and is too tired to post. Her surgery was in Feb, no idea if it is related. Wondering also how Kate is doing...

Cindy, hope DH is feeling better, let us know.

Hot hot day and night in Ohio, big storms happening now. Thank goodness for central air, especially when hot flashes are coming on strong!

XO

• gigil
    edited June 2014

OK, draft of letter being sent to Josie.  Brookside, I will PM you.  I think I got enough research to state it as it should be.  

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited June 2014

Gigil and Brookside, so kind of you to help our Josie. She is such a sweetie (yes Josie, YOU) and it is terrible to feel like you are doing something wrong at work all of the time when in essence, you just work for a moron!

Josie, you hold your head up sweetie...and "Shine On" like Lemon said.

Blessedteacher, hoping your exhaustion only lasts a short time since it is not fair you had to do this twice..ugh! Breast Cancer...the gift that keeps on giving.

Bunkie, good for you for the counter offer. Put that person on notice you will not take mere pennies on the dollar for your parent's home. Crazy investors...

Welcome DDOL and hope it all goes smoothly for you. Everyone is different though and some had a very hard time with rads and severe burning/skin issues. Glad you were lucky (as was I) in that department.

Big-D, you are a hoot! I had a good belly laugh from that one...hahahaha! xoxo

Now for news on the baby. My son got his bloodwork back and is NOT a carrier of the Kells antigen in his blood and neither is my DIL so the baby can't be either! The blood test showed that she is making antibodies and they say it is likely due to a previous blood transfusion she had years ago after a car accident. The baby is in no danger! I am so relieved and so are the doctors. They were very baffled and consulted an expert who told them that the few antibodies that showed up in my DIL's blood mean nothing if they both test negative for the K antigen. Whooo! Dodged a bullet! I could not be happier!!

Hoping Kate is doing ok...miss her cheery updates about her hair, new clothes, happy hour escapades with Tracy etc.

Gotta run..time to hit the shower for work! Talk later! xoxo

• DDOL
    edited June 2014

April I am so very happy just knowing your grand baby is going to be okay . I was reading back threads and seen that you was waiting on the test . When is the baby due? Have a wonderful day at work 😃  

Blessing  Diane 

• brooksidevt
    edited June 2014

Wow!  Such a relief, April.  Now there's nothing to do but sit and wait for that wonderful child to appear.  Or will you be knitting baby afghans and sweaters and so forth? 

Welcome, DDOL, and may your six weeks fly by.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited June 2014

BlessedTeacher, sorry you're having a rough time and dealing with Round 2.  Jeepers, that's a lot to handle.  I hope you start to rally soon, but also can be patient if it takes longer than you hope.  

DDOL, there really is a range of experiences.  I'm a pasty white girl but hardly had any skin trouble during rads, just got sort of pink, handled it mostly with $4 aloe gel (Star of the Desert 99% pure Aloe Gelly).  Very little fatigue too.  My story got more interesting later when my skin freaked out three months after rads/two months after starting Tamoxifen, maybe related, maybe not, and either way very rare.  That's all better now too.  It's just hard to predict, which is maddening in its own way.  I wish you an easy ride through rads.

April, HUGE CONGRATULATIONS on your son and grandbaby's escape from that super scary blood disorder!  PHEW!!!  I'm so sorry it took this long to find out you don't have to worry.  Now you can just bask in the baby anticipation!

BigD, you made me laugh out loud too!  I hope they get everything figured out soon and of course I hope for an all-clear.

Josie, good courage to you!  Such a lovely family and all in your corner, as we all are too.  Thanks to GiGiL and Brookside for the letter which I'm sure is excellent.

My daughter and I had a good time visiting three colleges.  I'm not sure any of them is a grand slam, although she liked one quite well and one pretty well.  We were going to head out for another six-day trip this Sunday, but I've had trouble with my vision (bad eyeglasses Rx) so I now think it's too much driving.  Makes my eyes really tired.  We'll do a shorter circuit and fly to the farther schools in August.

• gigil
    edited June 2014

April, what a huge relief!  I am absolutely elated to hear all is well for your son and the baby on the way.  What a scare for all of you.  Breathe easy now and wait in happy anticipation for that baby.

Run, your daughter is so fortunate to have her choice of schools and a mom who is so supportive.  I grew up in North Dakota and I was the first member of my extended family to go to college.  There was no question that I would go to the state college 90 miles from home, and my mother was not thrilled with my decision to go to college.  She often said I paved the way for the whole family.  She went to nursing school at age 50 and graduated top of her class.  My four siblings followed me to college, and we all have degrees.  A couple of us have graduate degrees.  My husband grew up in the college town I moved to, and although he had no support from home, he earned scholarships to Harvard.   He played baseball on his college team as well,  He made my over achieving seem not so monumental.  I still admire his spirit and drive.  I hope you get that vision checked.  I am due for that too.  Some nights my eyes feel as if they might just pop out of my head, they ache so much!  Not fun, this aging thing.

• edwards750
    edited June 2014

Great news on the grand baby April! DH and I have 8 soon to be 9. They are such treasures. 

Welcome DDOL-( Diane - we have the same name). One round of RADS was enough - my biggest problem was the fatigue. Hope this is your last round. 

RunFree- I remember those college visits esp with my youngest son. He graduated from college last year. He was accepted to several colleges out of state but decided to attend the local University which worked out well for him - and us. 

Diane 

• josie123
    edited June 2014

Thanks April, BTW congrats on the results.I'm so happy ever one is ok.

RunFree, thanks.

OK so here's what happened.Today was a nightmare.I was informed by my manager that I had to train a girl to take my place while I was out.She followed me for like a couple hours.I had like 12 on the schedule and then to have to train someone.Then I was shook up over the fact I might be training my replacement.

I knew they wanted a meeting at like 1:40 pm.I tried to come prepared but really wasn't that prepared when I was questioned on what I accomplished on Friday like I remember that and They went through and threw away my shred papers .I could have been through that and found proof of what I accomplished.I did mention the phone logs and how long sometimes it takes to get benefits.My manager was unaware I was on Tamoxofin she said she wouldn't have known that.That's a lie.I told her months ago

GIGIL I appreciate all the work you went through to get that letter.I tried to print it on my parents computer since our printer and PC are out of order/ink.But it couldn't read it.I don't know if they didn't have the right program or what.So I couldn't print it out.

I was so flustered and had a giant migraine.They said that it was about the doctors wanting to see numbers increase and They blamed it kind of on the doctors.Then in the next breath she's saying they are trying to do what's right for the patient.I think she wanted me to say I would quite.I should have done just that!! I'm tired of fighting.

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited June 2014

April, what a huge relief, so happy to hear the baby is going to be just fine!! Congrats!

Welcome DDOL, hope rads goes quick and symptom free for you. I did 3 weeks of double doses, right till my 2nd to last day I was fine then it got a bit rough. My effects were the week or so after but all healed up just fine. Listen to your body if you are tired rest, lots of water, I used Aquafor (spelling I am not sure).

Josie, I don't know what to say, I am sorry your feeling so frustrated. If this job is affecting your day to day life and making you unhappy it might be time to let it go. Your health and well being is so much more important but I know you already know that. I know most need a paycheck, are you still actively looking? is there not a hospital in your area to apply at?

• brooksidevt
    edited June 2014

Gosh, Josie, that meeting sure rattled you,  If I remember correctly, you are almost to vacation time, and must sure be looking forward to that escape!  Meanwhile, keep that log handy, and ready to play show and tell.   Wouldn't it be nice if they would have a staff meeting and explain that they are expanding the bone density department and adding a new tech.

RunFree, This is such an exciting time for your daughter--all those choices, all that geographically, all that excitement, all that future.  So exciting for her, and you, and everyone around.  Can you really bear to see her fly away to another part of the country? 

• edwards750
    edited June 2014

Josie - bless your heart I know you are spent from all the pressure you are under. BC notwithstanding I don't know if I could withstand them constantly breathing down my neck. Apparently the doctors are giving them grief so naturally they are passing that grief on to you. You did mention a vacation coming up and it cant come at a better time for you. You so need a break. So your manager denies you telling her about the Tamoxifen...okay then it becomes she said, you said unfortunately unless you documented it somewhere. Its a sad commentary when you have to justify the fallout from BC. Good grief they are a medical facility- if they don't understand then who would? I would not quit if you can hold on. Make them fire you if that is their plan. Quitting makes it too easy for them.

Diane

• josie123
    edited June 2014

Brookside and Diane thanks for the support.Yes we are leaving in the morning for Kentucky.We will be staying in a little cottage.They have a pool and playground.We will probably spend a lot of time fishing.We plan to go horseback riding at land between the lakes.I'm going to forget about work if I can .And get that resume sharpened up.

Thanks everyone and I'll miss you guys.They have free WiFi so I might check in if my DD doesn't catch me.She gets jealous when Im on too much.

• DDOL
    edited June 2014

Hi ladies had my first rad today . It  was so fast I couldn't believe it when they said your done   Was told to put either Aveeno or Aquaphor on after treatment the before bed ; seem Aqusphor is greasy and my night shirt was sticking to it 😝 anyone have a better lotion they are useing ? 

Thank you  Blessing 

Diane 

• gigil
    edited June 2014

Josie, have a wonderful vacation and forget all about work for now.  Family is more important, and peace of mind.

DDOL, I used pure aloe vera at first.  Make sure there are no drying additives.  

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited June 2014

DDOL, as noted I went through the whole thing with mostly aloe.  My friend used Aquaphor and just dedicated a couple of plain white tee shirts to the sticky stuff.  Rads is definitely fast once they get all your settings.

Josie, what an unsettling experience!  This vacation is just what you need.  I hope it is completely peaceful and relaxing.

Brookside, it will be hard to see my daughter go to school far away, but everything's at least a couple of hours if she goes out of state.  Of course she could go to the state university for half-price (since I work in the university system) but she is desperate to get out of state and I do support that.  I felt the same way.  GiGiL, good for you for pursuing your education like that!  And your husband too.  My husband was also the first in his family to go to college, and he didn't get good family support at all.  I was lucky--my parents had already blazed that trail for me, and my brother was ahead of me too.  I will turn myself inside out to give my daughter (and later my son) a great experience like mine.

• gigil
    edited June 2014

Run, I admire you for that.  I did the same for my kids.  There are many things my parents did that were admirable and a great example.  They changed things for our generation, in comparison to what they had to overcome.  We paved the way for our kids to become educated and to grow into responsible human beings.  It is such a good feeling to have all of them totally self sufficient and very good parents.  We know we have done our job when they no longer need us for very much, except advice and moral support.  

• DDOL
    edited June 2014

Thank you Runfree  guess you need to shower daily to get the  grease off Then somewhere  on the thread someone said not not shower daily its not good for your your skin !   ( help ) 

Thanks Diane 

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited June 2014

Diane, it has been a while for me, but I seemed to recall that they wanted nothing on your skin before rads.  So I would shower every morning right before going to rads to remove the sticky cream from overnight.  Then I would lather up with cream after rads and head to work.  I second using old cotton t-shirts at night, as the greasy cream will stain them.  During the day I used a less greasy cream (think it was eucerin professional repair), and I also wore cotton tanks under a regular tshirt for work.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited June 2014

Diane--The list of creme's my RO gave me were Aquaphor (greasy bey0ond words) Cetaphil (same primary ingredient, but smells better and is white) CALENDULA Crème (marigold extract) which I really liked) Eucerin, Miaderm, or if you wanted a prescripiont cream,  Xclair-  Xclair was 65.00 for two small tubes online from Commcare pharmacy in Florida---great place, they ship overnight to you, and I went thru it like crazy, but I did really like it.  It is tan in color and will stain.  I bought Hanes Premium men's wife beater t-shirts at Target, wore them with a sports bra a size or two larger over the top of the T-shirt.  Slept in the t-shirt as well.

they told me to face away from shower and only let water that came over the shoulder rinse off the chest--had to protect those stickers and marks. Told me to only use a soap like Basis or Dove.  No rubbing or scrubbing or toweling off other than to pat dry gently.  Nothing on the chest closer than 4 hours to treatment time.  Make sure your under the boob area is dry and free of any collected sweat or lotion before you go back for your treatment.

I've used aveeno lotion and oatmeal soaks and it is good stuff-especially when you itch and I did plenty of that ......

• brooksidevt
    edited June 2014

I was able to use the emu oil in the morning, as long as it was four hours before rads.  I never had a problem with an oil slick when I showed up for treatment; the absorbant Tshirts I wore helped, I'm sure.  I have extremely sensitive skin, and was terrified (unnecessarily, as it turned out) about skin breakdown and never would have dared to wash away the oil or creme, so watched the clock carefully.  Any of the cremes or lotions we use should sink nicely into your skin and/or clothing within a few hours, so not to worry about removal.

Redheaded, you had stickers and marks?  I had tattoos.  Not that I liked them, but I think I would have completely freaked out if someone suggested leaving any stickers on my skin.  I'd have been expecting hives and welts and the like, so I'm wondering how that actually worked out?

• gigil
    edited June 2014

I used Emu oil also.  It is clean, antibacterial and soaks in nicely.  That worked best for me in the end.  The thick gloppy stuff made me itch.  I had heard olive skin takes rads with less damage.  Not true in my case, and  I have heard lots of fair skinned women say their skin did quite well.  I lived in loose cotton tshirts.  I wore looser cotton bras.  Sports bras were painful to me.  I showered with Aveeno and I still do, and use Aveeno lotion on my entire body.  My back to the shower head and then non affected side to shower head. That caused a gentle trickle to the rads side.  I had tats and one sticker that proved to be the most painful part of my experience (when it started to itch and I removed it in the middle of the night)!