Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited June 2014

Hi Y'all!  Ooo who did we enjoy Beach Time! Could not believe how fast y'all jumped out and started playing in the surf...SoCal girls...thanks so much for the Bday wishes!  3 days at the Beach with family makes everything better!  But I really had to coax y'all back in my pocket for MRI today.  Hee hee, wish Josie had done my bone scan...:) so we are headed to the lake in the mountains in the morning...roll call...Brookside is this your bikini top? No, Diane? Sunshine? Sew? It's got yellow poka dots...gosh all the sand and sea shells...ouch flip flops!

Kate - sending Bday wishes your way! Will be at USC Wed...and thinking of you...maybe you will give a shout out...make a Big Bday Wish!

Janis - are you on your big BDay bash!  Hope so..hope those boys are all there and behaving as boys do...loving there mama:))) remember 60 is only a number and it's the new 29:)

3rdtimenow -ugh! In your pocket {{{squeeze}}} so sorry 

April - good news on the grand baby and ds!

Josie - fun times away at KY lake...hope you forget all about work!  Enjoy family time:)

BigD - love the empathy YouTube to the <3 and Rettmich - so get sharing with dd & family...I had tears...

Lemon - you're in great hands..amazing clinic...hope the good days are more now and you are feeling better with each day:(

Ohiofan & Redheaded1 - yes, so interesting how our teams track our care...I did not want to come back every 3 mos nor stagger to see a team member each month so...every 6 months I see everyone in a week...did notice my BP was 139/84 but got home and checked 107/62 so white coat BP....I get bone scan, echo, blood work, MRI, annually...and US of uterus before pill...silly I'm take AI.

GiGil - happy DH new ride!  Mine feels deprived if he doesn't get a new ride every 3 years...I push for 5-7 years...it's just a car.

RunFree - the big college push!  Wow, away, but laundry close...I so get it...fun time:)

Bunkie - vertigo ugh:(. Please list that house!

Joan - ah, walking the beach, sipping wine, roasting s'mores...the good summertime life...well deserved:)))

Rosiesride - yippee! Beach camping!  Susannah's right...cover up SPF40 sun shirt...Costco a must! Take a pic of your tent:)

Ok, we really need to dance...sipped wine, Bday cake, and a Balboa Bar!   Got to move it!

Again, thanks for being in my pocket:D. Hubby's big day at USC is Wednesday. 

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• Sunshineinky
    Sunshineinky Member Posts: 61
    edited June 2014

Cindy I am so glad you're MRI is over.  You'd think they'd find a way to make those more comfortable. Maybe they could serve wine and chocolates....

I cannot wait to feel my toes in the sand.  Hopefully once active treatment is over!

Safe travels.  Good luck to your hubby! 

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited June 2014

Hi everyone!  Thinking of each of you.

Lemon, how neat you have access to Cleveland Clinic.  Sounds like a really wonderful place.  Love the dogs, that is a wonderful idea.  How are you doing?

Glad you enjoyed the video, Sunshineinky and rettemich!  It is truly powerful. 

Ohiofan, I am on Letrozole and I did have a bone scan, but that is standard where I am.  Kind of like when you have your first mammo and it is used as a baseline.  I did not request the bone scan -- I would not have known to ask for it, but my MO gives it to all new bc patients as the bones tends to be the first place bc metastasizes to.  I had had a recent EKG prior to my surgery.

Bunkie, I had a couple of falls, guess they are known as Drop Attacks from what I have been reading.  The disequilibrium and dizziness came a week after my rad treatments.  Hence my visits to the neuro and ENT and the MRIs and the CT which has now led me to seeing a neurosurgeon for the spot they found on my forehead.  When I find out what this is and deal with it, the plan was for me to see a cardiologist and have a tilt test done.  My neuro says that since the MRIs are clear in terms of balance and falling issues, it could be a heart problem and something to do with circulation and blood pressure dropping suddenly.  I did fall again this weekend, seems to happen every couple of months.  I have not been hurt and I do not pass out, I just fall, there are a couple of minutes of weakness in my legs, then I am fine again.  So that is where I am.  I will have to look up neurosarcoidosis.  I do not know what that is.

Hugs to all you ladies!

• BigDBeatingBigC
    edited June 2014

Oh hey Cindy, did not see your post until I did mine!  Glad your tests are over, take a deep breath and have more fun!  You will be fine!  Thinking of your hubby too!

Big Hugssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2014

BigD - Oh we can talk about that tilt test. Ugh. Most people pass out. I wanted to but did not. Drop attacks are no fun. Menieres is famos for that....just sayin. I have only had a few when this first started. Now I can feel them coming on and try to sit down and they pass. For you I am hoping it is not the heart. All my tests are clear really except a venus angioma which is a enlarged blood vessel in the brain. Supposed to be harmless.....need the next MRI to compare. Please keep me posted and get a cane. I know I know it was hard for me too but I found a butterfly one and keep it with me. Do not use it much but have had to a few times when out. This PT is no fun either. Feels to me like it is all torture for something they can not find but at least they know how to rule out the bad stuff. Hang in there. 

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2014

Oh gosh I am so far behind!  Before I forget, I want to wish a very happy belated birthday to Cindy.  I am so glad you had such a good time.  You so deserve it.  My 60th is coming up in three weeks, and most of you know we are going to Colorado and Wyoming.  I was determined to have a party, something I have never asked for in my life.  I had to go back home and be able to share this with my sons and some treasured friends.  I am not sure yet if my oldest son can make it, but he is trying.  My youngest son (who turns 35 tomorrow) and his wife are both coming.  I am actually staying at their gorgeous home in Conifer, west of Denver in the beautiful mountains for several days including my actual birthday.  Chuck will continue on about another 70 miles to visit his son and family.  We are pulling the camper since we are bringing the dogs.  Chuck will stay in the camper while visiting Kip.....mostly for privacy for everyone.  The we head to Cheyenne to our friend Marcia's.  The party is at her house.  Very simple, grilling burgers and brats.  A few side dishes and we are good to go.  I am so thrilled to see people I haven't seen in awhile.  This is my dream and Chuck insists it will happen.  We had a garage sale last weekend and made enough money to pay a few bills.  That is a huge relief you know?  Visa will love us after this trip.

Josie I am so thrilled you got a break from all the madness.  The timing was perfect, you sure needed to get away from work.  I have never been to Kentucky, but it is on my bucket list. 

Big D, I am always thinking of you and hope you get some answers soon about the head problem.  I know how difficult the waiting is.  I will wait with you as long as it takes. 

A big warm welcome to Sunshine and the other new members.  I am sorry if I have forgotten your names already, but your stories touched my heart.  Third time getting this miserable disease is so unfair. 

Bunkie, it is good to see you posting and I just hate all the troubles you have had to deal with.  Your health problems are certainly scary.  That chronic dizziness would make me crazy.  Stay strong and always know what a great support system you have here.  You are a beautiful woman, thanks for the FB friend.  I wish you better days ahead, always.

Joan in NY....how I hope you can finally take a few deep breaths and relax!  Yes, relax my friend.  You have such a busy schedule and to have this time off is so well deserved.  I am sure you already have a lot of plans, but always remember to be good to you.  Joan Sweetie you really deserve some quiet time.  HUGS.

Sew and Brookside and Run and all the others I am forgetting, shout outs, kudos, big hugs.  I try to read here at least every few days to make sure everyone is okay.  You are so important to me.  I have stopped posting in all the other threads I subscribed to.  I kind of felt it was time to move on.  I don't feel that way about this thread.  I love you gals and am not ready to lose contact with anyone.  You are all so special to me.  I love your big hearts, your humor and wit, your never ending support.  Please know how much you all mean to me.

Janis

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited June 2014

OMG Joan I cried like a baby watching that video. Makes me feel guilty about whining about such trivial things esp compared to what those guys are dealing with. Thanks. 

Happy Belated Birthday Cindy! Wow would I love to be on the beach. 

Hope you guys- Bunkie, Lemon, Joan and anyone else I forgot - sorry - feel better soon. We are getting to be a really large group but that's because this is the best group...

Janis - back at ya' - you would be hard pressed to find a more caring group of ladies. 

Wish we could hear something about Kats.

Diane 

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited June 2014

Yes, I posted that video to Facebook.  You just never know whats on everyone elses plate.

I had a grumpy old man come up to me at the Library and make a rude commnet, and I just gritted my teeth and smiled cause I didn't know what was going on with him today.....LOL.  Glad I could help him get his attitude off his chest...

• rmlulu
    edited June 2014

Ooo who y'all .... Tomorrow is Kate's Bday!  

I just love Bday celebrations...so let's load up the mailbox and pockets :D

I've got balloons noise makers and champaign...who has her tiara?

Yippee Sew!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2014

Thanks for mentioning Kate's birthday.  I wonder how she'd feel about a telephone call?  Should be easy to find the number.

• rmlulu
    edited June 2014

Great idea Brookside!

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited June 2014

Oh yes! Call her!!!

• rmlulu
    edited June 2014

Brentwood Rehab Nursing 310.828 5596

We are at USC all day tomorrow so close if she accepted visitors ...call!

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited June 2014

Wish we could get some flowers to Kate.  Kind of late to be thinking of it, I suppose.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2014

Hello, everyone.I've missed you all.We had a wonderful vacation.Kentucky was hot!!! But we still enjoyed it.We didn't get there till like 5:00 or so Thursday.We just chilled and went out to eat.It rained Friday so we didn't do a lot.We bought groceries so we didn't have to buy out every meal.

We fished but didn't catch much.Went to a neat restaurant called Patti's1800 settlement.Expensive, nothing under $20 .The girls ordered the same thing and could have shared.I hate to see good food go to waste.We took it home but it never got eaten.Sunday was the most exciting day.We went horseback riding in the morning and rented a pontoon boat for the afternoon.Great times..Went for a swim in the lake but we're very shocked the boat wouldn't start up again.Then we went to call the boat rental people and they said # was out of service.We finally found a working # in the call log of DH' s phone. They came in a bass boat and towed us back to the dock and gave us a new boat.I should have thrown a fit until they gave us a discount.But it's not in my nature I guess.We came home pretty much broke.But it was worth every penny.BTW DH had never driven a boat before.He did fine I knew he would.

Not looking forward to work tomorrow.

Not sure where to start.

Cindy happy birthday.Great shot of the beach.Jealous.

Happy Birthday Kate.I hope she got my get well card.

Welcome to all the newbies.

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited June 2014

Cindy, I am sorry I wasn't on time!

Janis, the trip sounds like it will be wonderful! What a great way to spend your birthday. Make sure you share some pics with us.

Someone call Kate! Cant hurt right? I am still praying for her and hope that she is feeling better. I miss her posts and adventures.

Josie, so glad you had fun in Kentucky. Its a beautiful state, I have been there a couple times. Last time I flew into Louisville and of course there is a KFC right in the middle of the airport with a K. Sanders for pics.. ! I stayed at French Lick a historic haunted hotel, it was quite the adventure but I hardly slept I was scared. Its been very hot and humid here and I LOVE it!

Big D/Joan, it scares me that you are falling, please please use a cane if needed. You don't need anymore issues. How are you feeling?

Bunkie, I am sorry you are continuing to go though these spells.

I am feeling alright. My upper tummy feels not so good. On Sunday I sat in a low chair and pulled weeds it feels like that muscle is kinked and its giving me some troubles but nothing I cant handle, I kind of knew I would pay the price. My new "girls" continue to change everyday. Radiated side still looks better than her big twin next to her but I know my PS will pretty things up later, overall I just feel blessed.

• DDOL
    DDOL Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2014

Oooooo All my lady friends thank you so very much for all the advice you all gave me . I have Calendula Lotions also Aquaphor and I had Aveeno in my closet  I just wasn't sure if I could use all of them on different days lol  I am polish with fair skin  and sure don't want to burn bad .  I am going to get a bigger bra and some cotton t shirts as well   Guess you need to wear bigger shirts so nothing hurts your skin  I am so thankful that my friend told me about the help and care I will get from everyone in this community thank you again 

(((  Holy Hugs ))))

Diane Smile

• josie123
    edited June 2014

Lemon, hope you didn't over do it.Sounds like you might have.Hope you recover quickly.

DDOL, I'm glad you got some helpful advice and feel welcome here.

• edwards750
    edited June 2014

Josie- at least you got away and to a beautiful place. I know you are dreading tomorrow; maybe it will b better you never know. 

We have gone on family vacations and come back broke too but it was worth it. Now you have memories. My dad used to say if you wait until you can afford it you will never go. We had a lot of family vacations growing up. I have fond memories of those trips. 

Hope we hear about Kate tomorrow. It's been so long. 

Diane 

• josie123
    edited June 2014

Diane, yes it was worth every penny.Beautiful countryside.The town we stayed in is very rural.But they had a Dollar General.Thank God.Small town life is a lot different then city living.The cottage we stayed in had some problems like the tv stopped working by Sunday.The WIFI only worked in 1 corner of the cottage.Lights flickered and air went of occasionally.I think power surges or electric problems.Most importantly we relaxed and enjoyed each other.I tried to forget about work.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2014

It's been work work work here...all good but I cannot get anything done at home.  I am "off" during the day and actually walked the beach Tuesday.  ButI am grading and making finals.  Cleaning rooms for DD's visit next week and trying to find something to wear for a weddiing Saturday.  Hair needs attention but not time.
    I have not watched the video...will do when I am all done with my class...but I am sure what I just wrote is truly trivial.  Life is good for me and I am always grateful.
    Welcome to the new ladies here.  As I say often, we talk about everything here but are ready to offer support for those undergoing radiation. Recovery is the rest of our lives...first the physical, then emotional...and talking about our ups and downs, fears and joys, is part of the process.

Janis, your plans sound wonderful! 

Cindy,sorry I missed the birthday!  I have never seen a lifeguard stand like the one in your photo -- or is it a trendy taco hut?
    Let's celebrate Kate and Cindy's birthdays! Cake for everyone!  (no calories, I promise!)

• Rosiesride
    Rosiesride Member Posts: 197
    edited June 2014

susannnhW....Southampton ...a place I loved to visit when I was growing up on LI!   

Been gone 28 years but Wilmington nc and north of there has beautiful beaches too...I also wear long sleeve sunguard shirts...so still enjoy the ocean with all my protection!! Going for my 3rd rad this afternoon ... 33 more to go!! Rosie

• Rosiesride
    Rosiesride Member Posts: 197
    edited June 2014

RMlulu...I did take a pic of my tent...I will post it...I got it last spring at costco...it's a sport tent but originally bought it for hubby who has fair skin in the hope he would join me at the beach...way before my bc diagnosis...but now I use it!

Oopsy...guess my foot was not covered!  But no sunburn....lol! Rosie

• josie123
    edited June 2014

Rosiesride, nice pic.What a good idea with the tent.I'm glad your able to get out during Rads.It looks like your being careful not to get too much Sun.

• rmlulu
    edited June 2014

Hi y'all and yes Im still celebrating my Bday!

Rosiesride - luv the tent!  Any day at the beach or on the water is a good day!  Enjoy:)

Lemon - ha ha!  Bday is an excuse to party the month of June:)))  thx for the wishes!  Take it easy don't over do!

Josie - I like what Diane's dad said.,.just go and have fun with family...my ds shares all sorts of travel stories...I'm glad he enjoyed growing up camping and sailing...no little leave or soccer...just beach..blur he married a 5star girl...a week on a 50 ft cat in Bahamas is hell for her...ugh!  Bathing suit no makeup blue warm water breeze heaven...

Joan - good to hear from you...yeah break soon and dd visit!  Your best will be active...and those sweet grand babe close:))).  You so deserve me relax time. Yes, SoCal life guard stand...funny different than easy coast.

BigD - hope you are doing well....and waiting is not too stressful...you are amazing..leave you had you heart checked...my mom had to have a defibrillator put in stopped her passing out and falling...gosh they stapled her head after one fall ugh...so be careful!  Fingers&toes crossed for all the best:)

DDOL - you will rock rads!  Remember to hydrate hydrate hydrate...eat extra protein, and free boobing...cami with the girl free to the air...and arm on pillow so no irritation of skin...also make a countdown calendar with treats for yourself...stickers or funny sayings to bring humor into a mental time...really helps...radiation does it make my but appear larger?

(((april))) - prayers for you DH and family...sorry for your loss.

Bunkie - list it! Hoping your vertigo is better...and sunshine is lifting your mood:)

Kate - Happy Birthday!!!

Just returned from USC..ugh 3 hr drive home... step brother fell down stairs and died today:) so sad...life always something.  Hubby did get a good report...will hold off procedure and watch...he did gave a chest lymph node lit up, but they are not concern...I freaked...but stayed calm...watch...Friday is MRI results:) 

Shout out to all!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• BigDBeatingBigC
    edited June 2014

Hey my lovely friends!  Sorry, I am too tired to type tonight LOL.  Have had a super busy 3 days at work and wiped out by the time I get home.  But I read through everything and will yak tomorrow night to you all.  And I want to chime in that I do not chat much in other forums either.  Have left several.  Will never leave here, even if I turn Stage IV or whatever the future has in store for me!  Love you all too much. 

Going to bed now, yawwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.  See you tomorrow!

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2014

Cindy, I'm so very sorry to hear about your step brother.....how terrible and what a shock.  Is he back in Texas or anyplace near you?   ((Hugs)).  Great news about your hubby's tests, although that node in the chest is certainly scary.  But he's got a great team, so I always figure, well...if the docs don't want to worry, guess I won't either.  What a mixed birthday week you've had.  I think a little water time is in order for you.

BigD, yes stay with us....we have the magic warrior coat which gets us thru the worst of times...not to mention the best pocket parties.

Rosiesride....great tent, would work perfectly for grand babies on the beach too....nap time...

Janis.  Woohoo...not many days left now before the big celebration..

There was an interesting article in my local newspaper about the new mammo technology called tomosynthesis or 3D mammo.  I had that done at my last mammo.  I was glad to get the all clear although I will say my BC boob reacted to that mammo and felt burned for a day.  It had not reacted to any of the previous 4 regular mammos I've had since BC which I thought was strange.

• edwards750
    edited June 2014

Cindy, so sorry about your stepbrother. Hope DH's tests turn out k. 

Rosie- great cover- so wish I was headed to the beach. Just love the ocean! 

Josie, Glad you are back and had a good time with family. 

Joan - that is a really cute birthday wish!

I hope all of our get well cards made Kate feel a little better!

Diane 

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited June 2014

Rosiesride, love the tent!  That's what I need on the beach.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited June 2014

cindy, just read your post, so sorry about your stepbrother-what a sad thing.

I'm glad your DH is doing well!