Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited August 2014

Cindy I love that pic. So sorry to hear that dh is not well.  

Josie, No job is perfect but this opportunity sure sounds better than the situation you are in!

Bunkie, I always tell visitors to our campus that no dogs are allowed...pause...unless they are service dogs. My dogs sure lower my stress.  One big hug at the end of the day and I can feel the anxiety melt away.

Trying to get out into nature this weekend.  Hike today, kayak and bike tomorrow (I'm hoping the kids will join us) and hike again on Monday...but all local.  I struggled today...a slow and sloppy hike.  

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited August 2014

I worked nights too in my first job at Fedex. I had trouble adjusting at first and didn't help my DH was on days. I managed to last 18 months on that shift and then had a miscarriage. Game over I bid and got a day job at FedEx. Thing is I loved that job but it was just not fair to DH and of course the miscarriage. I made a lot of money but I also worked a lot of hours. 

I think I would give it a shot Josie. Let your Mom help. 

Btw among myself, youngest son and DH our debit cards have been compromised 5 times in the past year or so. Hope they didn't get $ out of your account. They didn't with me, they tried to buy something with Home Depot on my DH's, and did steal 1500 out of my son's acct with online purchases in New Jersey. Never been there. It's scary given they never had possession of our cards. One of mine was the Target breach. 

We are blessed with these vets. You are right it would have been 250+ if we had gone to the vets in our town. Office visits are 60+. You are lucky you have the friend who is a vet. 

Thanks looking forward to the trip. 

Diane 

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited August 2014

RunFree, SAB, Diane thanks for the encouragement.I appreciate it.I will really disappoint the Doc, but I hope he understands some day.They will not find anyone to replace me that will put up with the crap I do and still care enough to stay after hours to try and finish.I was  so sick over my day I couldn't fall asleep to easily and woke up thinking about it.I apologize for giving such a play by play of my day yesterday.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited August 2014

It must have felt so wonderful, Josie, to learn that the doctor thinks you are doing a great job.  I'll bet he had no idea of how horridly, abysmally, and just plain meanly, you are being "managed,"  that you're forced to work extra hours without pay, or that you live in constant fear of being fired.  I'm thinking things will lighten up a bit now. 

Cindy, love the photo.  That's clearly one very happy puppy. 

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Brookside, yes it did feel good to know that.I will give these new hours a try but I will also in the meantime look as hard as I can to find a new job.

• josie123
    edited August 2014

BTW, I have had the worst acid reflux/heartburn lately.I can't give up my morning coffee because that's what keeps me going.But I gave up my Dr Pepper.It gave me indigestion so bad last time I drank it.

• josie123
    edited August 2014

How sweet my DH is.He had a few calls already this morning .They paid in cash so he comes home with a dozen roses,and at least a dozen donuts.And still had cash leftover to give me for the church carnival (ride tickets) they sell those at a discount before the carnival after mass.

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Update on my oldest DD. She finally went to the doctor for the lump in her breast.The doctor felt a very large fibroid in the one breast and a smaller one in the other breast. She is sending her for an ultrasound.I told her I want to go with her and to let me know when she makes the appointment.I had the same fibroids at her age and ended up having them surgically removed.The surgeon was so good.I wasn't left with any visible scars.I hope we can find her a good surgeon.

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited August 2014

Hi all.  Sorry I have not posted in awhile.  I have read and kept up, but have had so many issues the last few weeks.  Just was not up to posting.

I had such a bad reaction to my first infusion of Zometa, and my doc was nice enough to give me the infusion over an hour, he usually does 30 mins, but in my case it did not matter.  I also started two drugs, oral chemo a few days later and the Revlimid made me so weak, no appetite, my legs were repeatedly going out on me, and I literally was unable to do much.  I was trying to drink and get some calories in, but when you have absolutely zero appetite, it is difficult.  I was drinking Ensure and eating fruit when I could, but sometimes I could not even make it into my kitchen.  I was unable to work, and so was not getting paid and was afraid I would lose my job and hence insurance. 

I had a friend who lives in my apartment complex, actually works where I work and she had been helping me a lot, driving me a few places, getting my mail, taking out my garbage, and my doctor had her number as she had given permission for him to call her if necessary.  I was getting weaker and weaker and all of a sudden, she told me one day that I reminded her of her ex-husband (she has had 4 ex's) and that he had been sick and stopped trying so that other people would take care of him.  I cannot tell you how much that hurt me.  I told her I was not giving up, but the chemo was making me so ill.  I finally on my own, after 8 days, stopped taking the Revlimid on my own and called my MO's nurse to tell her my decision.  But it was still in my system, and I was also taking 40 mgs of Dexamethasone on Saturdays, so I was told to cut that dose in half and stay off the Revlimid, which I did.  But I was by that time dehydrated and so weak I could hardly function.  My MO kept saying I needed to come in for blood work as those are dangerous drugs, but I kept telling him I could not get to the hospital on my own to see him and was afraid I was too weak to even get from my bed to the building he is in. 

He and his nurse were repeatedly calling me and I finally just stopped answering the phone because I was just continuing to go downhill.  So my MO contacted my friend (who no longer wanted to help me) and then he called the police who came to my apartment and I had to open the door for them.  It was quite embarrassing.  They wanted to call for an ambulance for me and I said I could not afford an ambulance and that I would re-evaluate the next day.  They said okay, they could not force me to go if I did not want to go and I told them I did not want to go, but that if I was no better the next day, I would call 9-1-1.

The next day another friend of mine who does not work came over and said she would get me to the ER if I could just make it down the few stairs to her car with my walker. I was not sure that I could, but I knew if I did not try, I would have to call for an ambulance.  I got dressed and after about 90 minutes of debating, I got myself into her van.  I called my MO's office and told them I could not make it into their building but was going to ER where I could get into a wheelchair and be seen there for blood work.

Got the to ER and it was packed.  There are 20 beds in the ER, all were taken, and there were many people waiting.  In fact, I saw two gurneys come in and they actually dropped off the patients in the waiting room!  So those people had paid for an ambulance and it did them no good.  More on that later.

My friend had to leave after about an hour, she has four kids in school and I knew she could not stay.  I sat in that wheelchair for over 4 hours and then was taken to have my blood drawn and a chest x-ray done.  They had gurneys lined up all along the hallway.  They told me they were sorry, but they were trying to get the patients in the waiting room for just their tests so that eventually, when you could get a  bed in ER, the tests would already be done.  I could not believe it.  So back to the waiting room I went and I was wondering if I fell out of my wheelchair onto the floor if it would make any difference.  I felt so bad, so weak, and I saw other patients leaving because they were so frustrated with the waiting. 

About 45 mins after that, my MO came around the corner to find me and I just started crying when I saw him.  He talked to me for a few minutes and asked if I would like to be admitted and I said yes, even with the cost.  I told him I did not think I could make it back home and I could not take this medicine any more if this was how it was going to make me feel.  He said we would stay off the Revlimid for now and eventually cut the dose in half and see if that helped with the myeloma cells.  He said he had to get what he can into me because I need the chemo.  Oh, by the way 21 pills of Revlimid cost almost $10,000 and no discount to my insurance company.  It paid the entire bill but you see what would happen if I lose my insurance. 

About 45 minutes after that, I was taken into the ER and put in one of their beds.  The nurse came in and said you already have signed admittance orders but we have no beds upstairs to put you in, so you will stay here and we will get you a nicer bed and keep you here until we have a bed ready for you.  You can order dinner, etc . etc.

I told them I could care less about a nicer bed, I was just happy to be lying down.  But they did bring me a nicer bed anyway and helped me into it.  I stayed in ER about 5 hours and they moved me up to a regular floor in the hospital after that, was about 9:30 p.m.

I asked about the ambulances that were coming in and just dropping patients off in the waiting room.  Was told that because of Obamacare, and everyone having insurance now, and because many, many people do not have PCP's and so use ER for everything, they are always backed up and so is every other hospital in Dallas, if it is a decent hospital.  So they have no choice.  People are abusing the ambulance system, thinking that if they call for an ambulance they will get right into ER, but it no longer works that way.  Only way that is going to happen is if you are critical, in a bad accident or shot or something.  Other than that, you are going to pay for the ambulance and wait with everyone else.  I was soooooo glad I did not call.

My MO came by around 7 and said he was leaving town for 4 days but that I could stay a night or two and he just begged me to eat anything and they hooked me up nonstop to saline and made me drink water besides.  I could not go to the bathroom without assistance and had to sign a document that I would not do so.

I stayed two nights in the hospital and felt a lot better.  I went to work last week.  First day was rough, I left at 4:30 and when I got home, literally was shaking and could not stop for a bit.  The rest of the week it got better.  I just stayed quiet and did what I could.  My wonderful boss, after I told him how sick the oral chemo made me along with the infusion said, "Well aren't they just giving you a form of rat poison anyway?"  I said nothing, just looked at him.  This is what he is like.  No compassion, has not lifted a hand to help me financially after 20 years of working with him, and I know that if I miss much more work, it's curtains for me.  I have had several of the staff tell me they cannot believe how he is treating me, but I am not surprised at all.  He backstabs everyone and then will come up to you, look all concerned and ask you how you are.  It is hard for me to stay, but I have no choice. 

And now, on top of everything, I have scheduled my colonoscopy on September 12 due to the spot that was seen on my PET scan.  Would appreciate your thoughts and prayers on that day.  Not sure what will happen to me if I get a third cancer within the span of a year.  I saw my MO on Friday afternoon and he said we would stay off of the Revlimid until after the colonoscopy and then we will plan the next infusion on the 19th of September and he wants me to take half of my Dexamethasone pills the day before the infusion and half after the infusion.  Dexamethasone combats inflammation and he is hoping I will have a better reaction this time to the Zometa.  Of course, I am scared to death.  I ran a fever of 103 last time and by the grace of God I made it to the toilet but it is very close to my bed.  Still I needed the walker just to get there because my legs were constantly giving out and a few times I had no control over my arm muscles either.  Thought I was having a stroke, scared me so bad.  But I need the treatment, so what can I do?

So, that is where we are and I apologize for not posting.  I have enjoyed so many of your posts.  Loved your photo Cindy with that cute pup.  And Josie, so glad some progress is being made with your job and going to pray for all to go well with your DD. 

I have a friend coming over to do some grocery shopping for me, so have to go and I know this is long, but I am a wordy person, and wanted you all to know what was going on with me. 

Love you all, 

Big D/Joan

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152
    edited August 2014

Oh, Joan.....you have been through so much.  I can't even imagine how things have been for you.   You remain in my thoughts and prayers.  I just wish I lived near you and could be of some help.  Take care and keep us posted whenever you can.

Ohio

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Big D thanks so much.You have been through so much yet your still thinking of others.So sweet.I am so sorry you have been so ill.

.Isn't there any other drug they can give you that you will tolerate better? I don't remember how it made my father in law feel.But I think he tolerated it ok.I will pray you get feeling better.I know what you mean by crowded ERS when I took my DD about a month ago we waited like4 hours before she was even seen by a doc.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited August 2014

So happy to hear from you, BigD, but YIKES!  What a time you've been having!  That neighbor is the absolute pits. Your boss seems not mean exactly, but totally clueless (rat poison, warfarin, is for thinning blood and preventing clots, not treating cancer).  Thank goodness for your onc!  He seems just right, and now you know you can't hide from him (naughty, naughty hiding from his phone calls).  I'm sure you've noticed that this week has only four working days, so hopefully the long weekend will give you an easy next week.

• edwards750
    edited August 2014

Josie - that was a sweet thing for your DH to do. Hope everything turns out k for your DD. Def go with her. 

Joan - OMG - you have been through hell and back. That was such a mean thing for your neighbor to say. 4 X's - yikes!

The ER is a nightmare. I remember taking my mom there on several occasions and her waiting in line on a gurney in the hallway. Plus the cost is astronomical. A lot of doctors are bailing because of Obamacare. A friend is scheduled for her second hip surgery and the doctor who did the first one dr said he only does outpatient surgery now. He told her the paperwork required now just wasn't worth it. Now one of the hospitals allows you to call in to make an appt for the ER. Not sure how that works esp when minutes count. 

So sorry you are having horrible side effects and pain, I wish we could be there to help you. 

Thanks for keeping us posted. Prayers coming your way. 

Diane 

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited August 2014

Joan, what a horrible story.  I am so sorry to hear it.  You need a better team of helpers right in and around your home, and your boss needs to be smacked upside the head!  I'm so glad you finally got a couple of days in the hospital to rebuild your strength, and thank goodness your MO is on the case.  Maybe your situation will spur him to get creative and find some much better medicine or combination.  You need a clean colonoscopy too, because no way is it fair for you to have something else!  Between now and your colonoscopy, I hope you can rebuild your strength, and of course I hope the next Zometa isn't like the first.  They do say the first one is the roughest, right?  I think you told us that, or maybe Cindy did.

Josie, how sweet of your DH!  And what a nail-biter for your DD, but I bet you're right that it's just garden variety lumps, like fibroids or something.  Good thing she's getting it checked out.  

SAB, hope you're getting some nature time.  It's so restorative.  We were going to do a family hike today, my very sedentary daughter's idea actually, but then the rain came. 

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Diane and RunFree, thanks for the warm wishes on my DD.She is probably nervous especially with my diagnosis.But like I said I had those fibroids when I was her age.They removed them and I did fine.I told her to make her appointment on a Tuesday or Thursday.She brought her boyfriend tonight  for the family get together.They weren't getting along.They both have a lot of growing up to do.I wish she never moved out.I hope she knows I will let her move back home if she needs to.We really don't have the room but we would make the room.

The family get together was very touching.There wasn't a dry eye in the house at times.My Father in laws brother is a police chief and has had a very stressful month

He is also very close to his brother.He was crying a lot.He didn't want to people to know .I'm glad everyone was able to see him before he went in to the hospital.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited September 2014

Happy Labor Day...I am up late and need to keep this one short (not my specialty)...
    Josie, been following your saga and there is so much going on.  It is hard to tell just what is positive and what is not.  Will you work the temp job again?  Keep your ears open, but take those extra hours for the $$ and a chance to catch up where you can.

Nicollet, I worked through rads.  I had few side effects except very itchy spots and at the end, a small line of sore broken skin.  I think the most tiring thing was the driving 40 miles each way daily.  But work was in the middle, so I managed to work in my rads appointments around work hours.  After I finished, I was off for a school break.  I did not get dressed or go out much and slept day and night.  It felt good.

Cindy, I am so worried for you.  If DH needs a doc before his CA doc is around, you know what to do.  Hugs and prayers...love the photo.  You and puppy are adorable!

Run, I feel it -- the creeping stress of the new school year schedule.  I was physically unnerved last week trying to get things done.  I ended up putting things out of sight so I'd feel better...but will have to unearth the unfinished.  Good luck with your school year and your research.

SAB, hope you got to do the things you love this week end.  I had beach time and then went to DD's in CT to stay with my grandson while she went out.  He is still on 60mg/day of prednisone and DD does not make him rest...she runs him around and I am not happy.  I hope he recovers without a pneumonia or another hospital stay.

OK - have to go and will try to check in tomorrow.
    Hugs to all...
    Joan

PS - Gemini, if you can join us for a meet-up, let us know so we can find a location that works for everyone.  Right now, I am looking at a September week end day.  More later.

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Joan, I'm not sure if the temp job I worked Thursday will need me again but they said they would keep me in mind if they did.There is only 2 staff members for the office and I was filling in for 1 that day.But it was a nice change of scenee for me.And maybe they will have me back someday.Only problem is that it's through the temp agency so I'm not sure if they can pick and choose who the temp agency sends them.I am going to call them tommorow and tell them I'm interested in the new position available for front office temp to perm.It may be my ticket out of there.

Sorry to hear your grandson is not resting like he should.I hope he does better.

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited September 2014

Hi Josie -- in my experience with temp work, the client can and often does request a specific temp employee to return to an assignment if it was a good fit. Saves them the effort to get the temp up to speed, too. I think the only no-no is that you and the client can't contact each other directly -- the temp agency has to be the liaison. Good luck with all of that, and maybe other opportunities will come your way through temping. Now that summer is over (boo hoo!), I think all businesses in general ramp up and get back "to work."  So hopefully some new possibilities will open up. 

Joan, yes I would be interested in a Northeast meet-up. Feel free to PM me. Thanks!  :-)

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Gemini, thanks.for clearing that up.I really wasn't sure how that worked.I'm jealous about your get together.Have fun.

• SAB
    edited September 2014

Nicollet I was doing project work at the time, and was able to slow down a bit.  I will say that light exercise every single day (Like a stroll) helped me so much.

Joan811, hope your GS is dong better.  DDs never listen to us wise women!  I think it's wonderful that you are putting together another meet-up.  

JoanBigC, how terrible it is to read about your experience.  It sounds as though you have a very, very thoughtful MO, and I very much hope that he will put together a treatment plan that is more bearable for you.  All my best thoughts for your upcoming colonoscopy.

Run and Joan, I know it's stressful getting back to school, but don't you love the excitement on campus?  It helps to remind me of what we are doing!

I did get out for six miles on Saturday, and nine miles on Sunday. Today, dh and I had planned on a ride and some kayaking but we've worn ourselves out Loopyand so will have a nice walk on our rural road and some swimming and call it a day.  It's all good though--that gives me time to organize around the house and have a bit of me-time!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2014

I have been reading awhile and my biggest hope is that everyone gets improvements in their current situations.  Josie, I know what an ongoing struggle work is.  My greatest hope for you is that you kill them with kindness, always smile, work your heart out and let them figure out what the problem is. 

BigD/Joan, what a nightmare roller coaster you have been on.  I am so sorry that you have to go though all of this rough treatment.  I wish I could help. 

Edwards how ridiculous is it to have to make an appointment for the ER?  They are supposed to server everyone who comes in.  That is why they usually have a triage nurse who can get them checked in by the order of the seriousness of the condition. 

SAB good for you for getting out and trying to make a good busy weekend.  I so admire your commitment to exercise, and what better place to do it than the great outdoors?

I had a really odd illness of sorts this weekend.  Very strange and unsettling and I am still trying to figure it all out. I saw my ortho Doc, Dr. Spackman, two months early because my neck pain is becoming so unbearable and worse yet, slows me down.  We had a long talk and the severity of the pain really makes my range of motion limited.  He is also a pain specialist, and thought a change of pain meds might help.  He put me on a slow release morphine tab. low dose. .15 mg. to start .I started taking the new med last week, and honestly did not feel the meds were helping it all.  Since it works slowly I figured it might take a few days to help. 

We were really busy here Thursday and Friday.  We picked about 80 or so Roma tomatoes for sauce.  We both had been craving spaghetti.  I  make my sauce meatless, but cook Italian Sausage or pepperoni on the side.  We had a busy two days between Thursday and Friday,  Lots of gardening and weeding and plucking fruits and vegetables and getting everything scrubbed.  Well, Friday evening when we went to eat I suddenly didn't feel well.  My neck pain was very severe and I was having a lot of problem concentrating.  I felt so lousy I finally went to bed and fell asleep right away.  I woke up a couple hours later a bit confused and very, very achy.  All my joints seemed to hurt my neck being the worse.  I tried to sit up and the headache about knocked me down.  What was this all about?  I did get up a couple times to go to the bathroom.  Those short trips were very difficult with all the joint pain.  I was also hot and sweaty.  Eventually I took my temp and it was 103.00  I went back to bed after taking some Advil and next temp was 101.00 and a couple hours later down to 99.  It has stayed pretty close to normal since then.  I am finally able to get up and walk around although a bit unsteady for sure.  Today I am up but not much energy.  I am taking it easy for the rest of the day hoping my strength returns. One interesting note, I never lost my appetite.  I have eaten really well.  Just can't seem to shake the unsteady gait and the severe neck pain.

Shout outs to all and much love. Many thumbs up for all of you who make room in your home and especially your heart.  I know it is not possible for everyone, but for those who do, you are my heroes.  Taking one sad outdoor animal into your home and changing their life, also forever changes yours. 

• edwards750
    edited September 2014

Josie - DS moved back home. While its more stuff to deal with and the xtra canines, it is so worth it. He was unhappy and he and the GFF fought constantly. DH and I could tell he was unhappy but waited for him to talk to us about what was going on. We told him he could come home anytime but none of that back and forth stuff. His GFF is trying to convince him to come back even to the point of playing nice with me. Not getting involved and told her that. I'm sure your DD knows she can move back but I would remind her just the same - in passing. 

Prayers for your FIL. I'm sure his brother is esp emotional and I bet his job has been ESP stressful lately. I can't imagine how he does it. 

I'm jealous too. Hopefully we can have opportunities for any or all of us to hook up sometime in the future. 

Diane 

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited September 2014

Big D-----so grateful that you posted so that we can all know that we need to re-double our prayers and petitions on your behalf----And those extra guardian  angel wings are reving up and en route to you as I type this. 

I pray that your Zometa is better this time round.  I pray that your boss will be able to express his compassion and caring in an outward way.  He may be just one of those people who don't know how to deal with illness so they kind of shut down.  One of my girl friends is like that and I had to call her and break the ice after my diagnosis. Sometimes those people care deeply, but they are not able to show it, and they insulate to keep from being hurt.  You amaze me that you are able to go in to work.  Don't you give your neighbor no mind----she may have been simply trying to light a fire in you, and it sounds like you got your fighting spirit up and going.   I pray your MO gets all his trips out of the way so he is at your disposal when you need him and that the OBAMACARE people get linked up with PCP and get their sorry asses out of the ER.  You'd think that their health insurance would be structured like everybody elses--where is the co-pay coming from for ER visits?  Mine is like 200.00 bucks vs. $50.00 for the dr. office........

Please keep posting so we know what s going on.  No matter what it is----We all care for you deeply.

Sandy in Illinois

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited September 2014

Janis,

Call your doctor.  Have you ever had meningitis?  Have you been bittene by any mosquitos?  Or have a bulls eye rash where there was a bug bite/ Don't mess around.  Your symptoms may have nothing to do with the drug.  Unsteady gait severe headache, confusion are all signs of a serious nuerological issue

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Diane, thanks for your prayers for my FIL.He will need any he can get.I'm glad your son was able to move home.My DD has disowned her friend she was living with.She was really messed up.She was into pot and prescription drugs and would just go off on DD for no reason sometimes.I had no idea the girl was using.But then again I didn't see her too often.It's really sad because her mother is a recovering addict and now both her daughter's are using.I give my DD credit for knowing when to step away.And to think she was going to move in with her and her BF once they got the rental house.What a disaster that would of been.

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Janis, I hope you get feeling better.That is weird.It doesn't sound like Morphine.Probably a virus.But definitely call the doctor tommorow.

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited September 2014

Janis, I second the recommendations to check in with your doctor. Though I've not had any experience with it, my first thought was meningitis too.  Hope it turns out to be nothing and that you're feeling 100% very soon. 

• SAB
    edited September 2014

Janis, please let your doctor know.  That's a pretty high fever! Feel better...

• edwards750
    edited September 2014

OMG Janis I would def see/call a doctor. Never taken morphine. Please let us know what the dr says. 

Good for your DD Josie. That would have been a nightmare with a roommate with drug issues. So sad the Mom has those issues too. One of my son's classmates in HS had a drug problem. Mom had to work and no dad around so he pretty much did what he wanted. One time, the last time, he went too far. OMG the Mom was stunned and devastated as were his friends. They tried to get him help although I don't think any of his friends did an intervention with his mother. Wish they had. Might not have mattered but will never know. He was so sweet and only 18 years old. 

Diane 

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Diane, I know how sad is that.My DD has lost at least 2 friends to OD.