Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited September 2014

70 charger, nice tattoo,your braver than I.I was doing a bone density on this lady today and she had a shooting star on her ankle.Thank you so much for the prayers.

Redhead, thank you so much for the thoughts and prayers.

Big D, Thank you also for the thoughts and prayers.

Here is a update:

The entire stem cell transplant only took about 1 hour.It was given in 5 bags.They kept these frozen until the very last minute literally taking it out of a canister filled with liquid nitrogen.1 nurse was the only HC provider in the room.She gave him a big dose of Benadryl before the procedure to counteract any allergy/ etc.He did very well.No side effects except a slight cough which went away.The nurse told him he will lose all of his hair next week.He will have severe diarrhea and be very weak.

His blood counts were really low today so he did receive blood.But said he wasn't feeling bad or anything. The skin around his port is getting very red and he has a little discharge.They cultured it today just in case.

Thank you everyone so much for your thoughts and prayers.It really means a lot.

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited September 2014

Hello Everyone,

Sorry I have not posted, I am still behind on page 382 but thought I would post now and finish reading later. My trip to Chicago was nice. The drive was long but I enjoyed the time alone and it was good to see some of my work friends. The days were so long about 14 hours on my feet and not a lot of sleep but overall I enjoyed it. I got home Sunday evening and had surgery on Tuesday. Surgery was only about 3 hours, took care of my dog ears on my hips, some lipo on upper tummy and fixed my bulge on left side of breast. The divot he pulled the skin up and removed it and so far things look a lot better. Yesterday I saw him post op and the skin that was removed when to pathology. He tells me in it was Atypical lobular hypoplasia. Nice cell of basically pre cancer. I was shocked and at this point there are truly no words to express what I am feeling or thinking. This was on my non cancer side, the BS said it was littered with pre cancer but I would have figured it was all gone now. Last night I sat and thought about it, I have had 8 surgeries in under 2 years + rads and Lord knows so much testing. I just want the medical world to leave me alone. I know that with the MX it lowered my chances of having BC again to about 1-3% from where I was at 35%. I have no regrets but to know there was a cell left behind under the skin scares the shit out of me. Oddly enough my body was almost saying Hey I am here get me out by causing the divot. Since the inside of my breasts are not breast tissue only the inside of the skin may have traces of left over breast cells so if I were to get it again it would be directly under the skin. I am not sure if I am trying to convince myself its fine or not. My plastic surgeon said not to worry, its not cancer and he would speak to my breast surgeon and give me a call to reassure me. so, that is where I am right now, didn't sleep well last night and just wonder if we are all ticking time bombs and don't know it. This damn disease is just too much.

Cindy, I am so sorry your DH isn't feeling well. ((hugs))

Joan, you have been though so much and I know you are fighting your own battle, I am sending you lots of love and strength vibes.

Janis I hope you get to the bottom of the pain your experiencing soon. Sorry this is happening, haven't we all just had enough already?? I feel like dang it I already had my turn!!

Good to see everyones posts, I am going to finish my reading. Thanks for listening and being there.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited September 2014

Lemon, I can understand why this would feel so devastating.  I hope that your BS is able to give you a better idea of how much to worry or not worry, and some strategies to keep these precancerous cells from developing any further,  Yes, I do think we all feel like time bombs to a certain extent.  I'm sure you have expressed the anxiety so many of us feel. I'm not a praying person, so I send you a big hug and positive thoughts, and look forward to comforting words from your doctor.

To everyone who is waiting or supporting others, I hope that all of your loved ones out there are faring well.  

Janis, I'm so bummed that you are in pain.

70 charger, you go!  I love that you are expressing yourself through art, and I smiled at your "motor head" sensibilities...I love cars too. My daughter, an artist and a Buddhist, said that she believes that tattoos are one of the highest forms of art because of the human canvas, and the fact that it is impermanent, lasting only as long as we are on earth. 

Tough days at work this week.  I'm so looking forward to the weekend.  Outdoors for something early Saturday and Sunday morning, meeting an old friend for coffee Saturday afternoon and writer's group on Sunday.  I wish you all a lovely weekend.

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited September 2014

Lemon, what you are feeling is totally understandable.  You have been through a lot, too, and to get another scare is a terrible thing.  I believe you are going to be fine and you know we all are here for you.  It helps to vent sometimes.  Cancer just plain sucks, no way around it.  And you cannot understand feelings like you are going through unless you have been through it, something I wish none of us had to experience.  Hang in, speak to your surgeon and let him reassure you.

Cindy, thinking of you and your DH as well.  Big hugs to you.

Janis, hope you are feeling better.  I think of you often as well.

Thank you for the update, Josie.

Night everyone, have a good weekend.

Love, BigD

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Lemon,  I know your very concerned,but try not to worry.Like your Surgeon said its not cancer but pre cancer.I will pray for you .I know your very overwhelmed.

Try and get some rest.

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited September 2014

Lemon I'm stunned by your news.  But it sounds like you have a great team & they are on top of it. Yes I too feel like I'm on borrowed time.  Hence my just do it attitude (tattoo). I'm not the person I was before bc. Big hugs.

Big D so nice to see you posting, Big hugs

Josie So glad things went well.  What a relief .  Take one day at a time.

Sab Thanks, I love the buddhist  thoughts.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited September 2014

I can't imagine how you must feel, Lemon, after all you've been through, to find those lousy cells hanging out in those lousy dogears, but from what they told me about my very own ALH and ADH, these are not precancerous cells, but mere nasty little predictors that indicate your chance of developing breast cancer anywhere in your breast tissue--not necessarily in the area of the ALH/ADH--is roughly double your normal odds.  As my IDC was in a different area, apparently my little predictors were right on.  I'm going right ahead and assuming your ALH simply predicted your BC and you're good to go. I'm really, really hoping that's what your surgeon will tell you too! 

I know with all your post surgical issues, you must have had times when you wondered whether you'd done the right thing.  Right now, I'll bet you are very, very happy about the bmx, and I'm hoping all the swelling and discomfort are just fading away.

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Update on my father in law.

We went to the hospital to visit him.He's in good spirits but found out he now has a staph infection in his port.He's going to have a new one put in on Monday.That is not good.He literally has no immunity right now.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited September 2014

How frightening, Josie.  Now is certainly not the time for a nasty infection to get started. I guess they're prepared with superpowered antibiotics, but, still, ain't he got enough trouble?

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Yes they have him on IV antibiotics and did culture his blood just in case it had gone into the bloodstream.It just scares the heck out of me because with no immunity it can easily get a lot worse or systemic. I was the bad guy this morning and made my son and my youngest DD go to church with me.They survived and we lit a candle (2) for him.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited September 2014

Lemon ---hang tough, everything you all are talking about is over my head, but bounce it off your MO before the slide/sample is gone. Hopefully they save that like they do our tumors.

Josie--so sorry about the staph infection popping up. Surely they tested him before they did the procedure for that kind of stuff.  I had a friend who underwent this at MAYO, and they told him to be prepared to smell like creamed corn., for a while afterwards, and darned if he didn't say he did....

Prayers for both of you, and always for you BIG D---so great to see you popping in with posts---how you doing? (That's my Joey from Friends impersonation) LOL

• ncollett
    ncollett Member Posts: 753
    edited September 2014

Josie sorry to hear about your father in law. That would be very scarey. Ill be keeping you both in my prayers. 

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Ncollette,and redhead, thanks so much for the prayers.He is actually not feeling too bad or anything yet.At least he's not letting on that he is.His WBC count is down to like 3.5.I'm not sure that number is correct though.But he's down to almost no WBCs.The nurses say he will have a rough week.He will start feeling bad by tomorrow.I hope not but they see it every day and they know what to expect.

It really means a lot to me to know everyone is pulling for him.

Janis, where are you? Please tell me your ok and you didn't have something serious.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited September 2014

Hi, I guess the first week back to work, even though only 3 days, really took a toll.  I am starting all over again in a few hours...cannot sleep because DD#2 in CT called me with some really scary symptoms.  She is alone with 2 kids and a 2 hour drive from me.  I talked to her for an hour and calmed her down but not sure if she is OK or not.  Hard for me to sleep....wish I didn't have work - I'd be up there already.

Josie, so sad to hear there is the possibility of infection in your FiL.  It brought tears to my eyes...as if he hasn't enough to face.  I join the prayers that this will not become an issue.

BigD/Joan, I've been following your posts and hope that you can take one day at a time...sometimes it's all too much to deal with.  I hope you are feeling OK right now.

SAB, yes, I do love when the students return.  The campus has a pulse.  I hope I can adjust to the hours soon...I have been feeling pretty tired each night after work.

Gemini, we will try to find a meet-up date that works.  I haven't been on here all week so will PM.  Anyone else up for a northeast get-together day?

Cindy, oh it is so hard to hear about DH after all you two have been through.  Hugs and prayers for you both.

Janis, please check in....I hope and pray you are feeling better but that you have been checked out by your dr. 

Diane, thinking of those you have told us need positive thoughts and prayers.

So many needs here...we are all here for you. 

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Joan, thank you for the prayers he does for sure have a staph infection.I just hope he can fight it and right now it has  not gotten in his blood stream yet.

I hope everything is alright with your DD.I will pray she's ok.No wonder you didn't sleep.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2014

I just finished writing this long long post and poof, vanished!  I can't start over right now.  I am fine, no worries.  Thinking of all of you wonderful ladies.  Sending lots of positive love and energy to everyone.  I can't believe I lost that post.  Grrrrrrrr.......

I will try to write more later.  I just wanted to check in, have finally caught up my dear friends.  Much love and healing hugs to you and your loved ones.

• 70charger
    edited September 2014

Josie Sorry bout that infection.  At least they are on top of it. Best wishes

Janis Glad to hear from you even a short post will ease our minds.

Joan hope DD is better.

Cindy hows hubby doing? hopefully good.

Big D  glad u checked in hopefully things are a bit better for you

Bunkie  Still enjoying the dog & BT?

To everyone else  Hope this day finds u comfortable.

I'm very depressed today.  This is what we woke to. Right now can hardly see it's coming down so hard. Yes that is snow. Fran

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited September 2014

I am so sorry you guys are all dealing with such painful issues and no I don't understand but I sure worry about all of you. 

I think we are all walking time bombs. Just when we think we can relax for a minute something happens and if its not us it's our loved ones. 

Josie- I know you are scared for your FIL - I am sure he is in good hands. I will light a candle too. My friend just found out her tumor markers have not gone up so for now it's a wait and see. She has to have another MRI in 8 months. We were hoping the lesion would disappear - it didn't. Still for now.

Haven't heard the latest on nephew yet. We have been out of town at the ND-Michigan game. Had a blast and got the W. 

Janis - we were all worried about you. Thanks for letting us know you are k. 

Lemon - hold on to the pre not cancerous DX. 

Cindy - keep us posted on your DH. Dang if its not us ..

70charger- snow? It's high 80s here. Might trade you for a minute. But it's September for Pete's sake. 

Better yet I'm lighting candles for all of you. It worked for my friend. 

Hugs to everyone!

Diane 

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited September 2014

Hi y'all!

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers!  A slow recovery, but today hubby can sit in a recliner and has progress to tynenol ...no more Vicodin....still hurts but pain is less...still another 10 days of strong meds and this week will determine if he needs daily infusions to kick this....grr pup thinks I'm adorable yeah for doggy park escapes:))) bow wow 

Josie - praying for your FIL! Love the family pic :) ha ha church didn't kill your kiddos :)

Charger - oh no say it isn't SNOW :((( hee hee love the Bday Tatoo!  

Ohio - LIKE button and EASY...!

BigD - good vibes and prayers....hope this is an easy week for you...:D

Lemon - grr! Enough :( BC really s###! Trusting your team reassures you and the reality is better....gosh a lot to process and understand.  Don't know what to say  so...Fingers&toes crossed...and in your pocket! Speedy healing hoping results are pleasing.

Janis - pff!  It will come to you :)))

SAB - school days...luv your dds saying:)

Joan - ah, our kiddos!  Those late night calls...the long distance...not being able to just tuck them into bed and kiss their foreheads and tell them it will be all better in the morning...life.  Hoping work acts normal and dd is able to ease through this period...and the GKs.  In your pocket for them too!

Looking forward to Friday...GFs coming up from Horseshoe for a girls day :))) hubby says he and pup will survive...hubby may crawl in crate hee hee he's 6 5" :))) oh, how I need lake time!

Shout out to all

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Janis, thank you for letting us know all is ok.

Diane,thanks for lighting a candle.I really appreciate that.

Fran, snow already? Brrr...Thanks for the well wishes.

Cindy, glad DH is on the mend.Have fun at the dog park.Lots of puppy kisses!!!

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Here's a link to my father in laws website

http://posthope.org/joe-hood/update/168437/day-3

• 70charger
    edited September 2014

Well, one year ago today I joined this site. Thanks to all the support from each & every one of you I am still here.  All my friends ditched, but thanks to all my new cyber friends, I've made it . You guys mean so much to my emotional well being. Words cannot express how grateful I am to ALL of you. Again THANK YOU.

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Fran, its been our pleasure knowing you and supporting you. Thanks  for your support also .I  consider all of you women my friends.

Your friends ditched you? Then they weren't true friends.

• josie123
    edited September 2014

I just lost my post .

Meeting at work yesterday. The nurse who was interviewing everyone gave the results of the office morale or job satisfaction overall on a scale of 1-10 and it was like 5.6.Sounds like I'm not the only one that hates my job. They mentioned Cliques and how the management doesn't follow through sometimes and we have a lot of tattle tails. They are starting a new program where you can nominate some co workers for recognition for doing a good job. They will offer things like time off, gift cards ect. And they will  be giving everyone a review  before the end of the year. This has never been done. They will have all of us divided into groups with 1 leader. We will meet once a month. We can say anything and vent without worry about being told on. Yeah right.

Any guesses on who my group leader is? The MA that is in the Clique with both my bosses.

On a good note my Temp agency called and that temp job I did a few weeks ago told her how impressed they were with me and wanted me to come back on Sept 18 for the day. I know it will never be permanent  but I could use the money and enjoyed working there, so I look forward to it.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2014

Josie I know you have had a ton of stress lately with work and your FIL being so ill.  Getting such great remarks from the temp agency, plus the call back, had to have done wonders for your morale!  Good for you!  The results of the morale at the job are sure no surprise.  I do hope you can move forward one day soon to a job where your skills and your sweet nature will be appreciated.  I hope FIL is doing better.  I know he has a long road ahead of him, but what wonderful support he has from all his family.

Lemon, please know you have been in my thoughts and I am relieved your surgery is over and you are well.  The pre cancer cells may likely be nothing to worry about at all.  I know it is hard, but try not to worry Sweetie!  I wrapped you in a bubble....this protects you!  Hugs and then more hugs. 

70'sCharger I love the idea of your tattoo taken from your avatar and the words especially.  It will be a lot of work but worth it.  I don't have any tattoos but my niece has one she had done for me.  Really special.  I am sorry you lost friends, I think it is not uncommon with a cancer diagnosis.  I am so glad you feel you are among friends here.  We will never ditch you.  I am so happy you found us.  Big hugs and love to you.

Cindy I am sorry your DH has been so sick.  He has every right to be cranky!  Well, mostly!  :)  You are always so strong and he is lucky  to have you to lean into.  I hope you are feeling good, it sounds like you are enjoying life.  Hope that you and your friends had an amazing Friday!

SAB your daughter sounds amazing, artists have such a special gift.  I hope the days ahead aren't too crazy for you.  I know that you will set aside some quality time for yourself.  Thanks for thinking of me!  :)

Big D......I think of you always and am glad that we have been able to speak on the phone.  Please know you can call me anytime.  I know that you are going through a very difficult time right now.  You are never, ever alone my friend!  Healing hugs, I am always here if you need me.

Joan, I hope that your DD is okay.  I know how worried you were and I did not see an update.  Thinking of you both and I hope everything is well and both of you are good.  Health scares are just....crappy!  Hugs my friend.

I have left so many out and I apologize!  I am not as organized as Cindy getting it all right.  I consider all you ladies my friends as well as my 'sistas'.  It is a big boat we are in, but we all share, and care.

Special thoughts requested for my DH.  RunFree, Cindy....oh my gosh what is it with these men lately?  My DH is almost 70 and has had so many problems with his COPD, emphysema, asthma.  Now he has a new problem that really has me worried.  He is not the kind of man to go to the doctor.  Well, the past few weeks he has had a great deal of pain in his lower left side accompanied by bloody stools and constipation.  He goes to the VA, and they are not good about getting appointments scheduled.  He sent them an e-mail yesterday and a nurse called within an hour.  She said there wasn't anyone available on his 'team' to see him, but a doctor on another team had an appointment available today at 4:30.  She called later to say this doctor wants him to come in at 10:30 for lab work and an x-ray of his stomach.  It is probably nothing serious, but it is a scare.  He is super worried.  Please keep us in your thoughts today my friends.  Send prayers, or healing energy, whatever works for you.  Many thanks, and much love.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited September 2014

Good Morning ladies...time for another drive by post but wanted to say that I am keeping ALL of you in my thoughts and prayers with all of the various issues/concerns for both you and your loved ones.

Janis, a special prayer for hubby as he sorts out this new health scare. Many times blood in a stool can be nothing more than hemroids (not sure how to spell that word..lol) or maybe an ulcer? I know it is hard not to worry but with our own issues we know that there will always be wait time from tests and so it goes. HUGS!

Josie, prayers for your FIL and for your temp job to notice you enough to offer you a permanent gig! Wrote a longer post yesterday but it went poof! Hugs to you too!

Cindy, hope hubby is doing better!!

Joan/BigD, hope you are doing ok too.

Lemon, please don't worry too much about this latest wrinkle. It serves no purpose to worry but to upset you and that is never a good thing. We are all encircling you with love and hope.

Ok, gotta run as usual. Please know I care about ALL of you and hope you all have a great week! xoxo

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Janis, prayers for your DH.Hopefully it's nothing but I'm glad they can get him in sooner.Keep us informed on it ok?Thanks for your kind words on my job situation.

Thanks for thinking of my father in law.

April, thanks for the prayers on my Father in law. The temp job won't ever be permanent since it is a 1 doctor practice and it isn't full time about hrs a week.But it's nice they thought so highly of me to ask me back.And of course it's nice to have that extra paycheck.

Horrible day at work.I wish I could quite.I know same old thing.....I will spare you details.Slight migraine and monsoon rains all the way home.Hope everyone had a better day than I. Love you all .Hugs!!

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited September 2014

So sorry about your DH Janis. The VA here is the pits. No surprise. It might be hemorrhoids. Hope so. He is dealing with a lot of medical issues so of course you are too. Keep us posted. We are praying for him too. My DH is the same way - if he voluntarily goes to the doctor something is def wrong. 

Josie - I wish you could quit too. I wish the temp job could become permanent. 

I'm not as organized as Cindy either but I love you all too. Group hug. 

Have a good rest of the week everyone! 

Diane 

• josie123
    edited September 2014

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited September 2014

Janis, awaiting word on your husband's appointment today, and the tests.  Scary stuff but so many things turn out not to be serious, even when they come with a lot of alarming symptoms.  Good for him for getting it checked out and lucky they could fit him in quickly at the famously slow-moving VA. 

Josie, the morale problem at your work is obviously way bigger than you.  They are bullies and everyone's feeling it.  You obviously know better than to fall for "nothing you say in this meeting will be held against you."  Did I miss where you told the temp agency you'd be interested in the job that would require evenings?  It's great to get that positive feedback from the one-doctor temp job, and good to get a bit more money from them next week.  And that could lead to other things.

Lemon, thanks for the update, and I hope it's all going to get brighter and better from here.  

BigD, you're handling such a lot right now, and your whole team is wrapping you in a warm bubble of caring.  I hope you're making progress and feeling all right, and getting people to help you with the nuts and bolts of daily life.

Cindy, glad your husband is getting a bit better.  I hope he improves by leaps and bounds.

70charger, that's really a shame that you lost face-to-face friends, but we're here and the cancer thing doesn't put us off one little bit--quite the opposite!