Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• anneb1149
    anneb1149 Member Posts: 821
    edited August 2014

Diane and Josie

I, too, am a pretty basic cook. I was raised in an Irish/ English home where spices were limited to salt, pepper, and occasionally paprika. My husband's parents were from Barbados, so they were really into spices. While dating all those eons ago, we could go to my parents for dinner at 1:00pm and his parents for dinner at 6pm; have leg of lamb at both, and never know it was the same meat. I've become a decent cook over the years, but still limit my cooking to following recipes to the letter. My ex-SIL amazes me with his cooking- he looks in the fridge, pantry and spices and puts together something that tastes great, but that I never would have thought of mixing. I tell him it's because he's Italian- cooking is in his genes. I also stick with chicken and beef for the most part, but like you said Josie, at least I don't fry them.

Anne

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited August 2014

Anne, isn't it funny how much the way we were raised and the food we were raised on influences us for our adult lives.My family roots are mostly German.And we really had quite a variety of foods at dinner.But always some kind of meat or fish at dinner.Always.Then my father suffered a heart attack about the age of 53.He refused to go to the hospital until it was almost to late.His heart was damaged.At least2/3 of it was damaged.It took him a long time to recover and changed his way of eating and how much he was eating.He lost a lot of weight.And my mother started to change her way of cooking to.

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Oops, fried food.I made zucchini dipped in egg and bread crumbs fried in oil at dinner.And pancakes.But only had 1 piece of bacon.I confess.

Seems that the most unrestfull nights bring on unhealthy eating the next day.But hey at least I had my veggies.Winking

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited August 2014

ONC visit yesterday went fine. Yea!  Didn't know she ran the tumor marker test. She said she does 1x a year. Everything normal. Sigh of relief although I freak more b4 a mammogram than I do ONC visits. I go to West Clinic to c my ONC and gotta tell you I know how lucky and blessed I am. There are so many people with debilitating side effects from cancer but they have such an incredible attitude. 

My DH is the galloping gourmet. Loves to cook and so creative. I am blessed. We eat chicken, pork and beef 2 Josie but we don't fry things either. I do try not to make the same things over and over. We always have veggies and fruit. I am part German too. 

Son has moved back home!  Holding my breath it's a permanent break from GFF. He needs to get his own place and he will but he said last night he won't move back with her. I tried valiantly to conceal my relief. Time will tell if this sticks. Don't hate the GFF she's just not the one for him and I did tell him that. 

Happy birthday to our birthday girls! Hope those of us going through some medical issues feel better soon - and our DHs.  

Scorcher today. Have a good weekend everyone!

Diane 

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited August 2014

Hey peeps!

I cook like a craZY WOMAN! I love to cook...and I love trying new recipes. The only thing I fry is the occasional fried chicken (how does one live without it????) but other than that, I don't fry anything. Oven baked chicken is great but not all the time! I cook pretty much 7 days a week with occasional time off for good behavior. Hubby does clean for me but I do all the cooking an laundry. Hubby does yard work, trash and all the housework. We both do the grocery shopping, sometimes him, sometimes me. He always does dishes (unless I tell him no cause he had a long day) cause I cook. What more could I ask for?

Since I am a great cook (at least that is what everyone tells me and I like my own cooking..lol) I often cook for others in the family/friends circle too. Am not much of a baker though but my cookies are to die for. Not much for pies (except pot pies..lol) or cakes though. My bestie is an incredible baker and has won ribbons for her pies in county fairs etc.

Ok at work as usual so gotta run. Hope you are all well!

Thinking of you BigD/Joan!

• anneb1149
    edited August 2014

I really admire people who can change their eating habits for health reasons. My cousins husband had some kind of heart issue about 2 years ago and they changed everything and don't waiver-ever. No red meat, no fat, no cheese, etc. They came to visit after my surgery and I had planned my good old standby, chicken parm. They couldn't have that because I lightly fry the chicken to keep the breadcrumbs on it while baking, and also, couldn't have the cheese. Took me forever going thru recipes in "Big Oven" to find one that didn't have cream soup, cheese, breadcrumbs, etc. Finally found a really easy one- you mix a can of whole cranberry sauce with a jar of Catalina salad dressing- pour it over the chicken breasts and bake. They loved it, and have made it many times themselves since then. I wish I could eat healthier, but most of the time when I cook I am also cooking for grandkids and they want their cheeses and sauces. 

Have a good weekend

Anne

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152
    edited August 2014

April,  you should share some of your recipes!  I'm always looking for something different to try.  Do your conversations end up being about food?  I find that happening frequently.

Anne, I don't fry things as much as I used to.  DH had bypass surgery 5 years ago.  I must admit that we followed a fairly strict diet, but that has slipped considerably.  I, too, admire those who stay with it. 

Take care!

Ohio

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited August 2014

LOL  And now we know for sure  & Why!  Saskatoon/Juneberry

http://news.ca.msn.com/local/edmonton/saskatoon-berry-gets-name-change-in-us-3

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited August 2014

Mmmmm, fried zucchini!!!  I haven't had that in a long time.  The catalina dressing + cranberries over baked chicken sounds very interesting.  I like to cook and always collect recipes, but I have a lot of failed experiments.  I do tend toward sort of Mediterranean things.  Love couscous-based dishes, interesting salad, lots of soup, quiche, quinoa, yogurt, seafood...but also every single kind of baked goods, although I feel sort of sheepish about it.  I would have an extremely hard time giving up cheese!  Cool story about the Saskatoon/juneberry, Diane!

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Diane, glad to hear everything went well at the oncologist.That's a relief.Isn't that funny the labs they order on us.But they never explain why or what they are checking for.

April, you can come cook for me anytime.

RunFree, sounds like your a bit more adventurous than I am in the kitchen.

Sorry if I missed anyone.

Birthday weekend has begun.

Last night my parents had me over for beef stroganoff and cake.It was good.

Today is the DH turn to spoil me.We are going to the cheesecake factory for a late lunch/early dinners.

Tommorow we celebrate at my mother in laws.My 2 brother in laws birthdays are in Aug too.My special needs brother in law just giggles and laughs when we sing to him.

I will take a selfie with the family at the cheesecake factory and post later.

What a difference a week makes huh? Much better than last weekend.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited August 2014

Josie wishing you a very happy birthday!  How fun to have so many different plans and so many celebrations.  I hope you enjoy each and every one.  Take lots of pictures, have a great time and set aside all your worries for awhile.  Let everyone spoil you for a change.  Happy happy to you sweet girl.

RunFree you sound like an excellent cook and very adventurous.  I am afraid my cooking experience is nearly as adventurous as yours.  I do not eat seafood or fish (I know!!).  I also do not eat eggs, cannot stand them.  I have never had couscous or quinoa, I do however know what they are.  I was raised in a home with an extremely picky father so really was not exposed to a lot of variety.  I love to eat though and I do have more confidence baking than cooking.  I love pretty much all fruits and vegetables, I try hard to eat well but I am not good at it.  I need a 12 step program to get off butter.  :) 

Anne I would really love that chicken recipe with the cranberry sauce and dressing.  How long does it bake, and are there other ingredients?  Like you I have always admired people who can change old habits and eat a healthy diet.  I am more conscious of healthy foods but I have not been really successful giving up all the bad.  My mom used to say if she ever got hit by a bus, she would not want a leaf of lettuce with no dressing to be her last meal!

Diane I am so thrilled to hear that your onc appointment went so well!  That is great news.  I never worry about my appointments or Mammos, I have no idea why.  I guess I worry about other things more.  My ongoing neck issues make me crazier than BC ever did.  I would give anything to find a way to cure that and be pain free.  BC was not nearly as hard on me as this damn neck is.  Sorry to whine!  I am really happy for you and wish you clear mammos for life!

April you are hired!  For some reason I have lost my joy for cooking and I have no idea why.  I used to love to cook and now it seems more like a chore.  Dinner is my worst meal to plan because I generally don't care if I eat dinner or not.  I am perfectly happy with a light snack but DH loves a nice dinner.  I have no complaints at all because he is a great help in the kitchen.  He does more than his fair share of the cleaning and always helps cook.  He is my sous chef!  He makes great salads and preps all the veggies for cooking.  I do enjoy cooking with him and we try to make it a fun time.  Last night we made tacos, I love my tacos and was craving them so that was actually a good meal.  I burnt tow recipes I the past month and that is so unlike me.  I need to work on getting my groove back.  How wonderful you enjoy it so much.  I am that way with baking.  I love it.  You cook, I'll bake.  Then I will have to start working out!  Nooooooo........

Ohio those sort of wake up calls are alarming for sure.  My DH had a mild stroke eight years ago.  We both smoked and when he left the hospital I vowed I would never allow cigarettes in our house again.  Well, that didn't even last a day.  I finally quit for good five years ago, he quit four years ago.  I watched my mom die of lung cancer many years prior and that didn't get me to quit.  It is funny we get these wake up calls but don't always make good choices later.  I bet you eat a lot healthier than you did prior to his surgery.  Sometimes even good habits stick, even if we drift off the original more rigid path.

Joan, are you out there?  I know you are crazy busy.  I hope you are enjoying some quality times with your grandkids.  Cindy I too admire your perfect thoughtful posts.  I have a hard time remembering everyone then worry I will unintentionally hurt someone's feelings if I forget about them.  In many ways it is easier for me to post without doing shout outs.  I hope everyone knows I care about all of you!

Sew, hi my friend!  I haven't been great about posting here but think of you always.

Other than my neck everything is good.  I am up to my eyeballs in tomatoes.  We somehow accidently planted cherry tomatoes instead of the normal Roma and large varieties.  Rut Roh........I have cherry tomatoes all over the ground with five plants!  We don't use them on BLT's or burgers!  I have one Roma that is heavily loaded and we are using them as fast as we can.  We will make sauce out of whatever we can't eat.  In a few weeks we will pick them all and have sauce making day.  We both have fun with that.  Now that it is cooler we are walking the dogs more which we all love.  My dogs are both about ten, and they don't require a lot of exercise anymore but we do like to take them out frequently.  This summer was cooler than last, but still too hot for me.  I am happy fall is right around the corner.

Take care one and all.......much love and hugs all around!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited August 2014

Well, I guess I've been in a bit of a funk lately.  First, the lousy arimidex gave me such joint pain (hips) I took a month-long holiday, switched to another AI (exemestane), had a bone scan which showed arthritis in lots of places, but not my hips.  I'm now going to PT for bursitis in both hips.  I've been in such an arimidex/exemestane fog that I've been working fewer and fewer hours, and finally decided to go back on ritalin.  The rads NP had prescribed that for me for post-rads PTSD, and I'd taken it for a while, thought I was doing pretty well, then stopped.  Guess it was too soon.

My bff's husband moved out to be with someone on the west coast, then moved back in, then out, then in, then out.  Since then, he's moved in with, and out from the west coast attraction three times.  Each time, he headed back to the east coast, then somewhere along the line turned around and headed back into the sunset.  We're thinking of him in terms of Charlie on the MTA.  Columbus he ain't.

I've been reading, reading, and reading everyone's posts, and so happy to hear everyone's news, both the good and the not so good.  Where else can we gripe about the things we need to gripe about so very openly!

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Janis,thanks so much for the birthday wishes.We are about to leave for dinner now.I know it's early but I was hoping to get in the lunch specials.

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152
    edited August 2014

Diane, glad to learn all is going well!

Run, the catalina and cranberry recipe is a good one.  I have fixed it in the oven and crockpot, but  I prefer the oven because the sauce isn't as watery.  Maybe we should form a recipe exchange!

Josie, Happy Birthday!  Please eat a sliver of cheesecake for me.  That sounds really good....and any flavor!

Justme, I thought I was the only one who had not tried quinoa.  Must buy some and give it a whirl soon.

Brookside, hope you are beginning to feel better.  You are correct.  Where else can we vent?  In my family bc is like the elephant in the room.  If I complain about stiff knees, my mom or DH tell me that I read too much.  sigh.....

Just got back from an outdoor (not too hot and humid!) craft show.  My college roommate's daughter has a booth featuring the cutest baby things.  Her mother passed away a few years ago  from bc and I try to spend some time with each of her children.  The girls are having a hard time dealing with my dx. I just encourage them to check monthly and get a mammo earlier than the recommended age.

Have a great weekend.  Can't believe that September is just around the corner! 

Ohio

• anneb1149
    edited August 2014

Janis

The only other ingredient is a package of onion soup mix. The recipe says to cook it for 1-1/2 hrs, but that is too long. I like to use thin boneless chicken breasts and it only takes about half an hour. Hope you enjoy.

Anne

• edwards750
    edited August 2014

Thanks you guys! I'm such a wimp sometimes. My ONC prescribed Effexor but not taking it. Not another med. I'll just try and manage my anxiety. 

Happy Birthday Josie - sounds like you will be wined and dined and you so deserve it! I love cheesecake esp the Cheesecake Factory!  Yum! 

Sorry about your neck Janis. 

Brookside - what's the deal with that guy? Back and forth? Not fair to her. I was on Arimidex initially then ONC switched me to Tamoxifen because of osteoporosis. I'll trade you Tamoxifen is the pits. 

Anne- love Parmesan chicken. Our fav place to eat out is Longhorn Steak House and they have the best. How do you make yours?

Diane 

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Ohio,great idea about the recipe exchange.

BROOKSIDE, sorry I think my post crossed yours.Hope that PT

helps the bursitis.I suffered from that only months before my BC diagnosis.My hip would pop and crack.The doc offered me a shot of cortisone in the hip.I declined.Took the PT instead.They were shocked at how weak my balance was and my upper leg,thigh muscles.He even used ice packs after PT.Started with ultrasound with a pain relief cream.I developed swelling that looked like a fat pad on my hip.It really helped though.Unfortunately right before it ended I was diagnosed with my BC.I never did follow up with that orthopedic doc.I was a little busy.

Well the cheesecake factory was delicious.I forgot to get a family picture at the table.So I took a few pics on the way home.I will post a pic of my cheesecake later.We are so full right now.I only ate 1/2 a hamburger.I'm saving the other half for later.My DD got really mad at me because she thought she should of been able to bring a friend out to dinner with us.We of course said no.She pouted but got over it after we offered to let her get a piece of cheesecake for her to bring home to her friend.Drama,drama drama...

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited August 2014

Ok I can not decide where I want to eat for my birthday. Part of me wants to go to Red Lobster. I hate the wait and my mom always made me go on her birthday....evey year I was here. I think to go on hers would be sad but to go on mine might be fun. We have much better resturants but I usually want something simple. Fried shrimp, baked tater and coleslaw. The fried shrimp will totally upset my stomach with no GB but it will be worth it. I just have to eat and get home fast. Loopy Adrian likes seafood too so that will work. We have a heat wave coming all week. Let me not complain because we missed a lot of that rain they got in Chicago. Darn it Chi town makes me think of Kate. Ok moving on.

I am avery good cook but have not done much since my folks died. My mom was a super cook and her dad was a fantastic cook on the railroad back when they had to cook from scratch. He taught her and she taught me. I can cook just about anything but do a lot more easy meals most days. Last week I smothered some pork chops and had rice and oh yes collard greens. Very southern I know. Adrian can cook but he is the grill master. So I  let him do that. The only thing I never learned was to make a pie crust. I wish mom had taught me. I tried to get her to before her mind went but it was just too late. She did it in my small kitchen with no counter space and never made a bad one.

Anne - That catalina/cranberry chicken does sound good. With some cornbread dressing I am thinkin. Might try that next week.

Josie - You are starting early but that is ok....celebrate for 2 days. Really wishing you a happy birthday after your year.

Brookside - I hope you are feeling better. My back is killing me today. I either slept wrong OR it is all the humidity. Also makes me spin....you know the drill. Head straight and no looking up  or down. Ugh.

RunFree - I like couscous too. Just reading this made me go fix some I had in the cupboard. I wish I could eat eggs. The GB surgery stopped that. Miss them. You sound like a good cook too.

Janis - It is nice when a guy cooks. I really like it. I am like you and have lost the fun feeling I once had cooking but I am working on it. For me I think it was just not having anyone around to eat it. Nothing worst that a great meal and all the clean up and it is only you.

Edwards - Whew...congrats on that report. I am always nervous before also. I have a mammo and brain MRI coming up. Not looking forward to it.

I am going to have to go back and read some more posts from some of the newer ladies. Just sending out a hello.

• anneb1149
    edited August 2014

Diane- 

I've been making chicken parm this way for 40 something years. It is a family favorite and I also like it for company cause you can get the mess cleaned up before anyone gets there. 

I use thin boneless breasts, dipped in egg, then breadcrumbs and quickly fried in vegetable oil.

I put a little spaghetti sauce in the bottom of an oblong glass baking dish. Put the chicken in the dish, top with fresh chopped onion and the rest of the spaghetti sauce. Bake for about 35 min at 350, top chicken with sliced mozzarella cheese, return to oven till cheese melts- that's it. 

Easy and delicious

Anne

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited August 2014

Edwards---I loved the piece in PARADE on Colliersville. LOoks like a place I would love to live in. I long for a small town where people all know each other.  One with just a few stop lights....I don't know why my parents abandoned the rural life.  They say it always skips a generation.....

Have any of you guys visited the "so--whats for dinner" thread?.  Its a great one and sometimes they share recipes.  I am hooked on a Mexican Chicken I got off it.  Boneless skinless chicken breasts, a jar of Salsa, a can of drained black beans.  Cover with foil, bake at 350 for 1.5 hours. Last 5 minutes, remove from the oven, top with grated cheese (I've used both Cheddar and Mozzarella once when my mind screwed up at the store and I bought Pizza cheese instead.) and let cook the last five uncovered.   Serve with brown rice.   Is great used leftover wrapped up in a flour tortilla.  

Bunkee, I would have loved your smothered chops with rice and collards.  I wish Paula Dean lived next door to me...... If eating habits can give you cancer, I know where mine came from.......right off the end of my fork and my glass.

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Unfortunately forgot to take our selfie at the cheesecake factory. So here is our selfie in the car on the way home.Notice DD in the back seat trying to hide.

GOOD times.Great food.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2014

Janis, I am around and reading. I am still a bit behind but am up to date with most of you.
    I am struggling with Windows 8 on a new laptop and a hyperactive touch-pad that changes screens just because the cursor hovers.  Eeeks.  And W-8 is not intuitive.
    Josie, I am glad you are having a better week end and wish you a Happy Birthday. 
    I hope the year ahead brings good things your way.

Who else is this week?
    I had 2 quiet days last week then DD#2 came back with her 2 kids to stay until Tomorrow.  They rented their home in CT so they need to stay and I love it.  The house is wall-to-wall clothes and big-kid toys/projects. That's OK...it will be very quiet soon. Today we went fishing on our boat and within the first minute, Jacob (10) caught a fluke.  That was the only fish...after that crabs nibbled away at the bait.That's OK...it will be very quiet soon.  We took the kids to the outlet mall for some school clothes.
    I had work on Friday - first day back - and Monday I'm officially back full time.

Brookside, hope you are feeling OK.  Let me know how the drug change goes.  I went from Arimidex to Femara.  Joint pain is still there but it moderates after awhile. 
    I hope we can come up with a date and place soon for a fall gathering.

Sew, I hope the road trip is going well.  I am sure it is not easy for you to have your SIL so far from you.  Life changes and we play catch-up.  Safe travels!

OK - have to sleep as the grandkids will be up in a few hours.

Thinking of those still recovering from treatment and also facing more surgery or treatments.  (((Lemon & Big D))) and anyone else ... my mind is not remembering everything.

Hugs to everyone....and hug your loved ones.  The world is such a crazy place...and so many people are hurting even in our own families.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited August 2014

Josie you look so beautiful!  You have such a nice smile, the new teeth look completely real.  LOL on DD hiding, I see your son didn't duck.  What a cutie!

Joan it is so good to hear from you.  I am glad you have your daughter and grandkids close for even a short time. 

Redhead....oh I love your food style.  Me too!  Southern food is so good but oh so naughty.  Still I have to make biscuits and gravy now and then!  Served with fried potatoes from scratch too. 

Anne thanks for sharing the recipes.  I agree with the first recipe the bake time is far too long.  So many people don't care for chicken breasts because they are dry.  Only if you overcook them!  The chicken parm sounds great too. Easy which I love.  :)

Bunkie....hi!  Sure was good to hear from you.  I am glad you have someone to keep you company.  I must admit my ignorance when I saw you post awhile back.  I have no idea what a BT is?  I came up with a few ideas but I wasn't too sure.  Anyway enjoy this time together.  Did you have your gall bladder out?  Was it recent?  I had mine out over 25 years ago and have never had a problem with any food.  I know you have other issues though that probably also contribute.  I hope you were able to enjoy something sinful with no bad issues later!

Diane I wish there was a magic fix for the anxiety issues.  I take Paxil which helps mine.  I hate meds too but I was not doing well without the help.  It is always a struggle it seems.  Soft healing hugs to you Sweetie.

Bunkie  I too have the hip pain.  Initially it was my left hip only but now it is also in the right.  I have no idea if this is only from the Arimidex.  I take meds for my neck so they help with the hip pain.  I am trying to be more active, walking the dogs more and just moving more.  I have not been very active for some time.  As Gilda Radner said, "It's Always Something".  I hope you feel better soon!  I am sorry about your BFF and all that drama.  She must be a wreck.  I was in a very bad relationship many years ago.  I look back at what was done to me and cannot believe I stayed as long as I did.  I was very vulnerable and he honed right in on that.  They call that the 'honeymoon' when you first meet and they seem so perfect.  Then abuse starts later and initially is often subtle.  Emotionally it is so devastating and we always think the next time will be better.  It never is.  I hope she has the courage to finally change the locks and tell him no more.  If she can do this she will be amazed that there is life after such a terrible relationship whether the abuse as physical or emotional.  I know you haven't mentioned abuse, but his behaviors are certainly abusive and controlling.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone.  I agree with Joan, tell the people that matter that you care.  Life is so fragile.

I care about all of you! 

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited August 2014

Janis, I think that's my BFF you're referring to.  After he moved out the third time, the locks were changed. It's the woman in California he has since left three times, each time heading back east, but never quite getting here (east, that is, not back to BFF, who is done, done, done), before he turns around and heads back.  All this within the last month.  Mostly, I think, he's been driving around in what we snooty New Yorker's refer to as the "flyover."  So bizarre, so sad.

Love the recipes.  I've been eating practically nonstop for the past couple of months.  Not happy about the weight gain.  Wonder whether switching from arimidex to exemestane has something to do with it?

Josie, your teeth, your glasses, your smile, your kids (visible and not) all make me want to smile back.

Yes, Joan, and everyone, a northeast gettogether would be delightful.  Still waiting to hear who's available where and when.

BigD/Joan, thinking of you, and hoping to hear a word or two.

Lemon, thinking of you healing and flying and working, and hoping for great progress.

• edwards750
    edited August 2014

Redhead - thanks Collierville is a cool township. Not Mayberry because lots of people have migrated here because of the schools situation, but still has the small town mentality but with a cool outdoor mall thrown in. I'm going to try that Mexican chicken - sounds delicious. I was born in Fort Worth, Texas so def have love for Mexican food! 

Bunkie - happy birthday to you too! Went to Red Lobster a few months ago. Haven't been in years and it was really good. Good luck on your mammogram and MRI. 

Josie - I love your smile too! Get the drama with DD. DS pulled one of those on us when he wanted to bring a friend on our family vacation. It was 2 late but didn't want to take him anyway. Like him but it was a family thing. He was relentless so I finally told him enough already it was our vacation too and he could stay at home- with supervision of course. Never said another word. 

Janis - thanks - even I can't screw up that recipe. I was in an abusive relationship too. Made excuses for him and too embarrassed to tell anyone until I had enough. It was long overdue. 

Joan - good advice - you are never promised tomorrow. Btw I had trouble with Windows 8 so much I took it off my computer. It didn't help that I'm technically challenged. 

Brookside- Haha I love that flyover! 

What a cool idea a northeast get together! We southerners do venture out every now and then. I would love to go to Boston or NYC. I know Connecticut and Maine and New Hampshire would be fun to visit too. Then maybe we can decide on a neutral site to meet as well to make it easier since we all live in different parts of the country. 

I know we all felt like we knew Kate even though we never met her - wish we had had the chance. 

Okay on a much lesser note football season officially starts next week. I am a big fanatical fan of college football and the NFL. Glued to the tube on weekends and during the week for that matter. Comes from having 5 brothers, DH and son all sports guys. Even I played sports - softball, flag football, volleyball, basketball and badminton. Got the bruises to prove it. So any other sports ladies besides me?

Diane 

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2014

DD and kids left this morning about 11:30 am.  It was time...the kids haven't been home since June since they spent summer in 7 weeks of camp then 2 weeks out on eastern LI including my house.

I slept in until 10:50 am so missed hanging with them this morning.  I needed it...yesterday was non-stop with the kids since 7 am.  I start full time work tomorrow so I am happy to have had the rest.  Dh went to church w/o me which I guess was meant to be.

OK - so I just signed on and saw the large EQ in CA just a few miles from my son's new house.  I researched and turned on CNN after texting him and emailing.  He & home are OK.  I figured the house would be OK since it was built in the late 1800s.  But the quake occurred unusually close to Berkeley.  My heart goes out to those in Napa.
    Sew, if you are still traveling, I hope that you have heard that all is fine in your home which is very close to the Sonoma/Napa quake area.  Please check in when you can.

Once again, I feel grateful.  I had a few panicked tearful moments only to find out that son Ryan had already emailed me early this morning.  I missed it.  When they bought the house the way they met their neighbors was during a scheduled neighborhood earthquake drill.  They have cached food and radios and emergency supplies for their little community. 

Now they are interviewing a winery owner and discussing the rare bottles that are lost.  That is such an insult for those who are suffering injury and loss.

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Joan, so glad your DS is ok.I hope Sew has no damage either.I hope you enjoyed your visit with the grandkids.I also hope your feeling better.I know Thursday you said you had a cold.Lucky you getting to sleep in.I woke up at7:15 am just in time to get dressed and hurry off to church.

Diane, thanks .I can we you can relate to the drama. Kids just don't get it sometimes

Brookside, thanks for the compliment.Hope your hip pain is better.Hopefully the PT will help.

Janis, nice to hear from you.Thanks for the compliment also.

• edwards750
    edited August 2014

OMG Joan state of emergency in California - 6.0 - the pics are horrifying! I am so sorry for all those people in Napa and beyond. Prayers for those in critical condition. Hope your family is k. 

Diane 

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited August 2014

Hi all.  I haven't turned on the news since this morning but I believe that no lives were lost this morning, and though the pictures of the fires and the losses were awful the damage could have been much, much worse. We were shaken awake at 3:20 this morning, and I texted dd the elder in Oakland.  She answered, "I was just going to bed."  Remember those days? (Except you Joan, you are our resident insomniac I think Winking.

Sew, you're just right there near Napa.  Is all well? 

Josie and Bunkie, happy birthday.

Healing wishes and hugs to those facing procedures.

Joan, good luck on your first day back to work.  You seemed to have so much great family time during your break.  I hope it nourishes you over the next few months.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited August 2014

Hi everyone,

Well I got home from the terrible (by California girl standards) thunder and lightening storms in Iowa just in time for the huge earthquake here.  For those accustomed to them, this one lasted a really long time (maybe 45 seconds) and was like being in the spin cycle....everything was shaking and moving.  The epicenter was halfway between where I am and Napa but there's a mountain range between us, and napa is on the same plane so they suffered more damage.  No damage here except a crooked picture and a little ornament jumped off the shelf.  Felt a bit like the tree falling on the house, except it lasted longer.  I had a good trip, but it took 14 hours to fly home because of layovers.  It took 5 days to drive these kitties back there but they were quite good, but cat standards.  Ah..it's good to be home.