Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited August 2014

SAB and Mostly Sew - glad you guys are okay. Been through a few tornadoes and hurricanes but never an earthquake. 

Diane 

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited August 2014

Sew I'm so happy to hear you didn't have too much damage. Welcome home!  

Diane, the scary thing about earthquakes is no warning, and no place to shelter! That said, tornados and hurricanes are truly frightening and destructive!

• SAB
    edited August 2014

oh also I should add that happily, I was well away from the action!

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited August 2014

SAB and Sew glad to hear everyone is safe with no real damage.What a relief.

SAB thanks for the birthday wishes.

Tonight we had a huge meal at the in laws.Lasagna,cheese garlic bread and salad.Delicious.DH even made it and got to eat before getting a call.Everyone came including my oldest DD and her BF.Anouther surprise.She has anouther puppy.Yay.

That makes me so......happy.....not.She's working 3 jobs.She has no business getting anouther pup.They will be moving into the rental house next weekend.I couldn't believe it.She said they were on the way to petsmart when some guy pulls along them and beeps wanting to know if they wanted anouther puppy.He was a truck driver and saw this pup along the highway with a chain around his neck.She is sweet but not what she needs right now.I worry.I found myself crying a little on the way home.Not sure why.She makes me sad sometimes.I feel like she isn't as happy as she appears .Her boyfriend was just about to leave without her when they left.How rude.But I'm not going there tonight.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited August 2014

Josie, Happy Birthday!

Sab and Sew, thank goodness you are ok and Joan, thank goodness your DS is ok!

Will cook for any of you ladies anytime! Last night made shrimp scampi over angel hair pasta...was so delish! Easy too...shrimp was on sale so why not? Maine lobsters have been on sale too so thinking of making a few for the long weekend. I like mine boiled with butter and lemon and DH loves his baked and stuffed so will probably make them both ways. Love seafood for sure. If you live in New England that is what we do..lol

So many tomatoes this year from neighbor and my friend so I made a beautiful home made marinara sauce and froze a bunch of containers. Happy I have a freezer! Will be using that sauce well into the end of the year. Made about 5 gallons...whew, what a marathon. But, you can use if for so many things.

Ok, at work as usual so have to run.

Am up for a meet and greet in my area anytime after mid Sept. Let me know.

• edwards750
    edited August 2014

OMG Josie what despicable person leaves a puppy chained on the side of the road? Hope whoever did that rots in hell. Bless your daughter's big heart taking the puppy. I know how you feel about another mouth to feed. It's hard even for me to accept I can't save them all. Working 3 jobs won't allow her much time with the puppy and zero time for herself. Still such a humane thing to do. Maybe she could ask around and see if someone would take her/him. 

Okay yet another same story.. DS' soon to be X GFF has 3 of the dogs from the original 6. The Moma and 2 little pups. So precious. We have 3 too. Anyway she isn't taking care of them so DS went ballistic. There is no way we can take in those dogs too. I told him my bro will help him try to find homes for them. GFF is adamant shed wants to keep 2. Please she gives them no attention. Makes me sick. Something is going to give this week. Son moved all his stuff home already. If I have to I will call Animal Services on her. Drastic - you bet but I will as a last resort. Told DS he needs to come home and stay put. Can't stay there indefinitely. Make no mistake GFF and I will have a come to Jesus meeting and she won't like it. I have exercised all the restraint I can muster. I think it speaks volumes about a person who treats animals like that. Her neglect us going to cost her dearly. 

Sorry for going on a tear I know you are worried about her. Gotta admire her for working so hard. She def has a good work ethic. Credit to you and DH. 

What a fabulous dinner! Glad your birthday weekend went so well. 

SAB - you are right at least with tornadoes the sirens go off. Even with hurricanes you have some warning. 

April - k you are def the host for the group get together. Delicious food! 

Diane 

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited August 2014

Janis - Too funny. BT is boy toy. My boyfriend Adrian is 19 years younger than me.  We met back in 97 and have been together off and on since then. I forget that is not a real word. You I had my GB out 3 years ago and have had a bad time with fried, spicy, citrus, eggs, salads and some fruit. My surgeon said sometimes it just does that to people. They call it dumping syndrom. Your body just dumps the food really fast and it can cause you to loose nutrients. That is why I got skinny so fast after the surgery. Lost 20lbs in a year and ate all the time. I eat small meals also. 6 a day.

Redheaded1 - Thanks yes I do a lot of Paula Deen and Trisha Yearwood type foods. My cooking roots are from the south and I have had to make some foods less fattening. I use smoked turkey in my greens now and also my succotash. I make smothered pork chops the easy way. No special sauce. Pour some oil in a frypan and heat it nice a hot. . Flour and season the chops. Fry in a nice cast iron pan. Pull them out on a plate and add some chopped onion to the pan after you dump the oil out. Leave the little crunchy pieces at the bottom of the pan. When the onion browns and starts to get soft put the chops back in. Add enough water or chicken broth to cover them. Add more onion on top. Cover with lid and simmer till gravy is made and they look done. Easy, easy. Paula pours creme in hers but I omit that to keep the calories down some....plus I do not like milky meat. You can also use some creme of mushroom soup on them instead of water but I like the old simple way. That way I can control the salt.

Sew - I was thinking about you. I was in SF for the last big one. I will be honest that the thunder/lightening storms back here scare me more than earthquakes ever did. Sounds like one of those rolling ones. The only good thing is once it is over you can calm down till you get a aftershock or two but they go fast. Midwest storms last all night and hours it seems. Glad you are ok.

Thanks for the birthday wishes.....

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited August 2014

Bunkie, I agree...lightening storms are way more scary than earthquakes for me too.  This one did roll but it seemed to swirl too.... strange sensation.

Happy Birthday Bunkie and Josie (only a little late)

• edwards750
    edited August 2014

So Bunkie did you go to Red Lobster for your birthday? BT - you go girl! 

I make pork chops the way you do except I use cream of mushroom soup. DH likes to use broth. Love pork chops!

Diane 

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Bunkie, Happy Birthday.It's tomorrow right?

Pork chops sound really good.Thanks for the recipe.still have to try that.

Diane, boy your sons ex is really something.I know people just don't think sometimes what a commitment a pet is.They deserve just as much attention as anyone else.I don't blame you a bit.I would report her too.My DD,s boyfriend wants to keep the puppy.He wants his own puppy.My DD isn't working as many hours as I thought (about 15 hours at the one job.The other she only works 1 day a week and the other job she works the majority of .) Her Boyfriend is home everyday by2:30 pm and the pups seem to love each other) In fact that puppy of hers always has a babysitter.She has never been left alone.The girlfriend she used to live at has her dad living with them and he loves the puppy.She may have a problem on her hands someday.Dogs do have to learn to be alone sometimes.

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Sew and April thanks for the Birthday wishes.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2014

Josie, nice family dinner!  It seems as they get older there is always some drama.  Another pup?  Probably not the best idea.  I want to say be firm and do not get involved...pets are a big responsibility.

Bunkie, you are the Birthday Girl!  Happy Birthday to you and may the year ahead bring better health and fun times for you.

SAB, I did think of you when I heard about the quake; but I figured if my DS did not have damage in Berkeley, then you would be fine.  It was a terrible experience for some families. 
    You are right, SAB, I am an insomniac; but work is starting and I must try to go to sleep earlier.  Sometimes when I go to bed at 9 or 10 then I wake up at 2 or 3 and that's it - no more sleep.  I do not like to take meds if I am working.

I did have a lot of time with my daughters and grandkids this summer.  It went fast.
    Today, four of them went back to school.  Jacob, the oldest, had not been feeling well at my house yesterday when they left. He didn't make it to school today in CT due to a terrible cough and asthma-like symptoms.  He ended up in the hospital overnight, IV and all.  He told his mom to go home he would be fine. He had been there last year, and knew the nurses would fuss over him.  He is ten, and the sweetest little guy ever. 

Well, it's a work day tomorrow....I can go in late so maybe I can get some decent sleep.
    Gotta get up early to straighten up the house.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited August 2014

I am glad to hear the birthday gals are enjoying their special times.  Good for you!  Josie, the lasagna dinner sounds so good.  What a nice meal for them to make for you.  Bunkie Boy Toy was actually one of the things I considered.  I am so glad you have him there for awhile. 

Most of you probably know that I am a huge animal lover.  With three cats and two dogs, all rescues, we had to hang out the 'No Vacancy' sign out some time ago.  This weekend really was tough.  We love garage sales and we go every Friday from spring to fall.  Friday we stopped at one, real dumpy and a lot of junk.  We noticed they had a cage of baby rabbits for sale, and another cage with free kittens.  There were three 'kittens' in this cage but they were barely kittens.  They were at least 3-4 months old.  They had a small box in this filthy cage with litter, although the litter wasn't even visible for all the feces.  There was an empty food bowl with nasty dirty crusted dried up food in it, and a filthy water dish.  Chuck glanced at them and walked off.  They were tabby's, two black/grey and one orange.  The orange one was hanging on the front of the cage yelling.  It ripped my heart out.  I had to walk.  There is no sense in trying to educate people like this.  Their yard and their junk was all filthy.  They simply don't care.  I know if I had said anything it could have gone south quickly.  I knew I had to walk off.  When I got in the car Chuck told me he could not look at them any longer.  I know, I understand.  I can't save them all and this breaks my heart.  I can't volunteer for a shelter, I know what would happen.  I cannot have any more animals.  The five we have are so spoiled and so well treated.  We are pretty neurotic about them.  I have three cats and four cat boxes with two different types of litter.  The boxes get scooped 2-3 times a day.  I scrub the water bowls and all the food bowls daily.  Our cats like to drink water in other places so both bathrooms have a glass on the counter filled with fresh water. Not everyone has to be neurotic, but people have to learn that animals deserve a clean environment.  They are a huge responsibility.  Don't even get me started on spay/neuter or backyard breeding just to make a buck.  I wish more people were educated on the subject.  I saw a bumper sticker once I thought was perfect.  I am not sure if it was aiming at pets or people, but either way would be appropriate.  "If You Can't Afford to Feed Them, Don't Breed Them."  Exactly.

Okay ladies I promise to get off my soapbox.  Josie I know your daughter's heart is in the right place.  Puppies deserve a lot of attention and I hope she is able to spend some time with them.  Whoever chained that poor pup on the side of the road should be shot.  I have zero tolerance for people who abuse animals, or humans.  Animals have a hard time finding a voice, and too often the laws don't come close to any kind of reasonable punishment.

Okay, shut up Janis!  LOL I am a little passionate on the subject!

I was busy today working in the yard, walking the dogs, baking and all kinds of things.  We had a few rare days of cooler temperatures and I took advantage of it.  I realize how little time I spend outside in the summer.  The heat wrecks me.  Today was high 70's and I pulled a lot of weeds, picked a lot of vegetables, and trimmed a lot of roses.  I did a lot of deep cleaning in the house too which felt good.  I love days when I have so much energy.  I got a lot done.

Night night all.  Sleep well...Joan, I have insomnia as well.  I am up at all kinds of odd hours.

• josie123
    edited August 2014

BUNKIE, 

Happy Birthday!!

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Janis, your a lot like me.I can't stand animal neglect either.I used to work at the Humane Society.It wasn't fun to see the cases of neglect.I worked in the clinic not the shelter for that reason.But we had to Euthanize shelter pets at times when they came down with deadly viruses that would and did kill them quickly.Once some of those viruses and illness take hold it could kill a whole litter in a day.Unfortunately even after treatment it didn't always work and the most humane thing to do is euthanize.I don't miss that part or being the last person that family pet sees before they die because the owners couldn't stand to stick around .They know when we are about to Euthanize them.Ok enough talk about that.It's making me sad.

I'm sorry I hope I didn't upset anyone.That's probably more than anyone wanted to know.

Joan, get some sleep sweetie! I hope you grandson is doing better.Poor little guy.

• edwards750
    edited August 2014

Janis - I do feel your pain about those kittens. Maybe you could report that to the animal control office. I am more of a dog lover - we have 3 now. Can't take anymore either. It takes commitment and love for those angels. I would b the same way at the animal shelter. I would be upset I couldn't take them all. 

I am proactive when I c these morons leaving dogs in the car with no windows down. I told this lady in the Kroger parking lot I worked for the shelter and I took out my cell phone to report her - it wasn't real hot but still - she said she was only going to be in the store a minute - yea right. She started getting upset and rolled the windows down. Told her I would b watching her. Another time this older couple was in Captain D's eating and left their dog in the backseat - windows were down but dog was in a cage. Stupid. I walked n the restaurant and asked whose dog that was and the police had been called. The guy starts going off - he and I had words. I said who does that? He believed my story the police had been called and went outside to look for them. They left. Picking up your order is one thing but eating there? Seriously? 

There are many stories of people rescuing animals that are heartwarming. A lady in Mississippi has a farm and has a zillion animals because people just drop them off there. Despicable. The vets in town all know her so she gets a lot of freebies - and should. I met her once. She is an amazing person. Again if I had the $ I would give a chunk to her. What a saint she is. 

We contribute as much as we can to animal shelters, etc. The shelter here investigates where every animal goes - your house, etc. and rejects you if you don't measure up. 

I figure one of these days I will get into a major confrontation with a dog owner but you know now you are arrested if you leave the dog in the car and they take the dog. Good. 

Now I'll get off my soapbox too. 

On my FB page I have the link I lovemydog.com. I scroll past any stories that don't have happy endings. I get too upset so I prefer to not know. 

Joan - hope your grandson feels better. What a little man he is staying in the hospital by himself even with those nurses hovering over him. Btw I don't require a lot of sleep either. DH and kids do but I like to be up early - love the mornings. Not as early as you of course. 

Josie - hope things have settled down a bit in your neck of the woods. I read about the funeral that was held yesterday. Can't imagine though what it will be like if the police officer is acquitted. Stay safe. 

Diane 

• julz4
    julz4 Member Posts: 1,373
    edited August 2014

Hi Everyone!  Have not been here in a LONG time!  I need some HELP....INPUT & am not sure where to post this!  Since we ALL (I think) have been through surgery I thought here would be the place!  I need a WHOLE NEW TEAM of Dr's!!!!  I am fine but my Breast Onc Surgeon was RETIRED by his Hospital!  Very Long Story!  But now I am out of a Dr. & am not sure I want/TRUST my Local Hospital to be involved in ANY part of my Breasts anymore!  I have already canceled all of follow up mammo's for December with the New fill in Breast Surgeon the Hospital has in place.  But my Radiation Onc appt. is coming up the beginning of October & frankly he has NEVER been a fave of mine.  So I am moving to John's Hopkins (Hopefully).  The Green Springs Station is about the same drive time as my Breast Surg. Onc. was.  DOES ANYONE GO TO HOPKINS?????   Anyone good over another!  My Dr. spoiled me for ALL others!

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Diane, thanks,all is quiet right now.Maybe that's why they haven't decided on the fate of the officer yet.

Can you believe people would pull up in front of the humane society and leave their pet in the car while they go next door to shop.Outrageous and stupid.

Sorry to change the subject.My youngest DD had back to school/meet the teacher night at her school.My DH was supposed to be off early and meet us there.Well he didn't make it because he was on a call.I know she was disappointed.But she said "its ok mom I'm used to it" I felt so bad for her.I let her get BK on the way home.Then she disappeared to her room.Hubby did get off earlier than usual.I wanted to get grass cut.Well he came home and helped.We ended up cutting the front yard in the dark.But it gets so hot in the daytime lately.I still got a little overheated even after the sun went down.But it's done and I don't have to worry about getting it done today in the heat.We were both drenched with sweat by the time we finished.Our yard isn't even that big.

Today I should really go in to work for a few hours but I can't seem to talk myself into it.I had like 14 bone densities yesterday.Tommorow I have 16 and didn't have time to get all the benefits for the patients for tommorow.I am so frustrated.Just want to quit.I told my DH that last night after staying 40 min past my time to leave.

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Job update: The lady from the employment agency just called.She has a temp assignment for me on Thursday. It is for an Endrocrinologist in my area not to far from my current job.It's just for 1 day  and it's front office but hey it's better than nothing.I also told her that I was still interested in the job opportunity I was offered at my interview.They still have an opening.I told her I am so ready to quit my current job.I hope I didn't sound too desperate.She said she would contact them and see if they would be interested.Knowing they would still have to wait the 2 weeks for my notice.I'm so ready to just move on.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited August 2014

Such great job news, Josie, just when you're at the end of your rope.  First, a semi-mindless front desk day sounds like a wonderful relief from your current situation, and who knows when someone at the ENT might be leaving.  Secondly, please do not ever, ever feel bad about telling a new employer you have to give notice. Would you want to hire someone who didn't do that?

Julz, I'm not in your area at all, but I went to the biggest, bestest hospital in my area.  It's just by chance that it turns out to be an NCI hospital with an amazing breast center and oodles of great docs and nurses and research and patient programs. It's nearly two hours from my house, but who's counting?  Good luck with the switch.

Edwards, those poor kittens!  I guess I'd have made a call to the animal protection people in the area--who knows what additional critters those folks might have in the back yard.

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Thanks Brookside.

BTW my DD sent me this pic of the 2 puppies.I thought I'd share.

The puppy with the harness is the new one.

• josie123
    edited August 2014

anouther pic of my grandpuppies

• edwards750
    edited August 2014

Aw your grand kids are so cute! 

I am cutting the grass tomorrow early. We have a really big backyard. The front isn't small either and one side goes slightly uphill. Brutal. I need the exercise but its getting old. DH has to edge and he is behind about 2 mowings. Good grief we have been doing this since like April. I am so ready for Fall. 

A 2 week notice we all know is standard notice when you quit a job. Prospective employers should appreciate your professionalism. I hope you get the job you interviewed for initially but any change would be a relief I know. I bet we all have been right where you are working the job from hell. Things are looking up though - at least you have another job even for a day - might lead to something permanent. 

Brookside - actually Janis saw the kittens - I just suggested calling Animal Services. That is so disgusting treating them like that. 

Diane

• julz4
    edited August 2014

Thanks Brookside I wish I did not have to change.  But I have a good feeling about this.  I got a yeah from someone on a Triple Neg board that is seeing the Dr. that I am interested in!  I'm thinking it will be a good choice!  There is no choice between my small town & Hopkins!  Thanks so much for Your input.  

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Thanks Diane for the compliment on those grandpuppies.They are cute.

Be careful in that heat tomorrow.

• SAB
    edited August 2014

good luck Julz.  Changing docs is worrisome but it sounds like you're doing your research. 

Another dog lover here. Bless all you foster and adoptive pet parents. You ladies have hearts of gold xo.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2014

Julz, good to see you.  I am MO-free right now - she just left the cancer center so I saw a sub for my semi-annual appointment. [I won't miss her.]  For you, it sounds like the J-H medical center is a good fit.  See if there is anyone there who specializes in TN.  It is good that you heard of someone else using the doctor there.  Wishing you good luck with finding a good team.

Thanks for your kind concern about my grandson.  He came home today after 24 hours in the hospital.  I guess he will miss another day of school but he will be OK.

Janis, what you described about the condition of those animal cages is just horrific.  Who would even adopt an animal living in such an environment.
    Maybe the dog lovers here can help me understand about when it is acceptable to leave a dog in the car.  Never? I see it so often and usually the windows are open...so what criteria make it unreasonable?  (obviously heat, lack of water, and long periods of time) Do municipalities address this with laws? 

It is a real calling to rescue pups or to work in shelters.  Those who I know that have rescued seem to be the best caretakers and knew what they were getting into. 

I do not have a dog because I know that my lifestyle would not be a good match for adopting an animal that needs socialization and a lot of care.  I am too mobile. I have a fear of large or unfamiliar dogs. 
     We have successfully had cats for many years.  But now, DH and I work long hours and wouldn't want to leave a new pet alone all day and some nights.  I have to say, it is not the same without our kitties.

Bunkie & Josie, I hope the birthday celebrations were fun!

Josie, trying out a new position one day a week sounds like it could be do-able for you.  It's a start.
    Sending positive thoughts and prayers for good choices and the right decisions.

• edwards750
    edited August 2014

Joan - I would say never leave them in the car but esp not on hot days. If you absolutely have to, roll the windows down with water in the car and don't be gone but a few minutes.  What people don't get is its twice as hot for them as it would be for us. In Collierville where I live you will be arrested if you leave them in the car with the windows up. You should be that's criminal. I had a guy paged in Lowe's once who did that and was calling 911 when he came out. Needless to say I made a scene. Don't care. Told him next time I'm calling the cops. Ditto at Kroger they announce the license no and make of car on the PA system. If they want to be stupid morons they have no business with a dog. I am the proverbial "watchdog" around her. 

That's good you don't have one if you are gone a lot. They need love and attention constantly. A friend of mine has her neighbor walk her dog 2x a day and she has a backyard. We always hire a dog sitter when we go out of town although there are a lot of places now that are like hotels for dogs. Really nice. I would rather have them on their own turf if I can. 

Hope your grandson is feeling better. 

Diane 

• anneb1149
    anneb1149 Member Posts: 821
    edited August 2014

Glad your grandson is feeling better, Joan.  My 15 yr old. grandson in Atlanta has been out of school this week with a bad sore throat. When mom came home from work, he asked why she hadn't gotten him a milkshake on her way home.  She replied that he didn't ask her to. His response ( in that tone that only miserable teens use) " Well that's the problem Mom, Grandma wouldn't have needed me to ask- she would've just brought it. WHEN does Grandma get here?"     Hang in there Mike- I will be there Fri. LOL 

Anne

• julz4
    edited August 2014

SAB  yes changing Dr's is worrisome....but I don't have a choice as he was the Only Dr. for 6 years I ever had!  I only saw my MO 2x's as I didn't need any Chemo.  My heart won't be broken if I leave my RADS onc.   

Joan I think the Dr. I am looking at is the one for me.  In fact I am just gonna take the plunge & trust my Instincts!  I'm a CNA & I'm gonna keep him on his toes!!!!  

Thank You ALL!  I need to get back in & read some more here.  Sending Good Thoughts to All who need & even those who don't!