Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited September 2014

Joan, yes you posted after the fish story. I can't believe they brought 5 fish home from the carnival. I'll bet you spent a little more than I did at the fish store.It was a miracle. But unfortunately the little friend of my daughter's really wanted a different fish and Claire thinks the girl purposely forgot to feed it and it died. Poor fishy!!

If that's true she doesn't belong having an animal. The sad thing is her father is there 24/7 because he is legally blind and actually has a caretaker. His wife is also there 24/7 /she is disabled also.It's a shame someone couldn't have noticed before the fish died.

BTW Claire's fish is still living.The cat stalks him nightly. So glad I chose that tank.He would of been a dead fish in the little tank.

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited September 2014

awwwww you all move my heart so much.  I had my pizza party today and my boss had to go and pick up a client from the airport, so he was not even there to say a few words.  It was okay.  My friends were there, and we pigged out and someone made the most delicious pumpkin cake I ever tasted!  I won't get a bonus but I need the job too bad so I must just forge ahead.

I am having a diagnostic mammogram on October 7.  My MO said we had put it off too long, it will just be on the one side where I had the cancer.  Hopefully, it will be fine. 

My MO tried to put me back on the Revlimid but only one 20 mg pill made me so sick.  I was a mess all weekend, but pushed myself to work on Monday, feeling very bad.  So now I have been told to take it only once a week if that is all I can do.  I am hopeful that perhaps I will get more used to it, but it is impossible for me to be on this med and work.  I will take it Friday night and hope I can manage the SE's.  I need treatment but I also need my job and my MO is doing the best he can to help me.  It is literally an impossible situation.

Love the photo, too, Josie.

Janis, giving is either in you or it is not.  I am glad it is in us.  I have a love of animals as well.  I only have two cats because I cannot handle more, but I feed possums, coons, and other cats on my patio.  My heart breaks that I cannot do more, but whether it is for an animal or a person, I believe we must do what we can.

Red, Cindy, hope things are well with you both.

I need to get to bed, every day at work is difficult, being on a walker and always feeling dizzy, afraid my legs will go out, etc. etc. but I do the best I can.

Thank you for being here for me. 

Josie, glad you FIL is doing better and home now to recuperate.  I have kept him in my prayers as well.

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Joan /Big D, glad your pizza party was so good.Good thing your boss wasn't there.

Maybe you enjoyed it even more.

But no bonus? What was it pizza party or bonus? That's ridiculous.

I hope your mammogram turns out good. Mine is coming up in November. 2 years since Diagnosis .Do you celebrate your cancer free anniversary on the day you had the surgery and were declared cancer free or what?

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2014

Diane I know that pits get a bad rap.  They are largely misunderstood and terribly abused.  I am sure yours are big babies and of course they are spoiled!  This is as it should be.  I think rescued dogs really understand and are grateful.  Sampson came into rescue after being pulled from a shelter in SW Colorado.  What they know is that he was kept outside, tied, and he kept breaking free of his ties.  He was young when we got him, probably less than two years.  Evidently he was finally picked up by animal control and taken to the shelter.  Many breed specific rescues contact shelters all across the state requesting notification when a dog of that breed comes into a shelter.  Golden Retriever Rescue of the Rockies got the call and drove a few hundred miles to bring him back to the rescue.  This was one lucky dog as we had been preapproved to adopt after our home visit.  This was a gift from my son for Mother's Day 2006.  I was still reeling from the loss of my previous Golden boy to cancer.  Spencer was barely five when I lost him.  Eight months had passed and my son thought it was time.  He was so right.  We drove to Denver from Wyoming and Sammy had just been there one night.  Love at first sight!  Normally the dogs stay in foster homes until they are adopted but we knew this was the right one for us.  That was over eight years ago and he is our joy boy.  Of course we have Murphy, who came from a terrible BYB.  We rescued him at about 4 months.  He is a character and the thief of hearts.  I applaud anyone who takes in a stray or unwanted animal.  They deserve so much.

Joan811 We have some smaller fires burning in Idaho, but the smoke is from the fires in northern California and Oregon as well.  The smoke has been drifting here for awhile, but when the weather dictates how bad it gets here.  It returned last evening and the news said it would be back for awhile until a cold front moves in this weekend and pushes some of it out.  My poor DH has a terrible time when it is bad.  He coughs and gags half the day.  I feel really bad for him.

Big D.....you have a huge heart, and we all can only do so much you know?  I am sure your two cats have a wonderful loving home with you, and for the most part all cats are strays.  People don't spay and neuter and thousands of kittens come into shelters every year.  I was so fortunate to talk a neighbor into neutering her dog.  He is a poorly bred black lab and they wanted to breed him strictly for a few bucks.  I cringe when I hear that as it is the worst reason to breed.  Keep doing what you do Hon.  I understand how you feel, I would have a lot more animals if I had the space and the money.  Right now with two dogs and three cats I have a full house.

Sorry everyone I did not mean to turn this into a preachy lecture about pet rescue!  No hijack intended!

Josie sometimes you just have to splurge and have a great meal.  Your DH wanted to treat you to something special.  It meant a lot to him and I am glad you had that opportunity.  LOL on the strawberry margarita.  I haven't had one of those in years.  I love them with Mexican food.  BTW I love that picture of you and DH.  Your big smile is infectious!  I hope this week is better for you at work.  How is your FIL feeling?

I have taken a break from Arimidex.  I went off it just over two weeks ago.  My joint pain was not only physically crippling at times, but emotionally it was draining me.  Initially it began with pain in my left hip.  Then my knee.  By the end of August it had started in my right hip as well, the other knee, and often my hands.  I was so frustrated so I decided it was time for a little vacation.  Last year he suggested I take a 2 month break and it helped.  This time it has been amazing.  Other than my neck, which had problems prior to BC, my joint pain is all but gone!  In a few short weeks I feel like a new person.  I can walk with ease and totally pain free.  No fear of falling from the hip pain.  My hands don't hurt to type or write or chop veggies.  I see my MO next month and will let him know.  He may choose to switch me to a different AI, but really I think they are all about the same.  I am just so happy I feel so good now.  What a relief!

Yesterday DH and I spent half a day making homemade spaghetti sauce with all our tomatoes.  We picked two he grocery bags full of fat ripe tomatoes.  After washing them well, we put them in boiling water for a minute or two, then plunge them into the sink full of ice water.  The skins slide right off.  Then they are cored and blended up a bit.  I am so glad my DH loves to help cook.  After they were done he chopped up the onions, I chopped the garlic (from our garden this year) and he chopped up a ton of fresh basil and parsley.  Our basil plant is almost bald!  Add to that simply some sea salt, pepper, and a few fresh bay leaves. It  is a lot of work but so worth it.  After it all cooks down it really doesn't make that much but it is still worth the effort.  Good stuff.  I always make it meatless, when I make spaghetti I can make Italian sausage or meatballs on the side.  When I make manicotti I prefer it without adding any meat.  I don't do any canning anymore so we portion it out into Ziploc bags and freeze it.  I am taking a jar over to one of my neighbors to see if they like it.

I am sorry if I forgot anyone.  I think of all of you ladies every single day.  I feel so bonded to you in a way that makes me feel we have all been friends for a very long time.  This is the only thread I have remained active in since I joined just over three years ago.  What a special group you all are.  We can laugh and cry together and still feel safe.  I love that.

Love and hugs to all, have a wonderful week.  Joan811, safe travels my friend.

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited September 2014

Haven't been keeping up & if I go back to read I will lose my post.  Just know I'm thinking of ALL of you.

Josie nice to see you out & about, sorry bout the kid issue, been there done that.  Does throw a kink in relaxing for sure.

Just me Janis.  lol, funny you should mention tomatoes.  Yesterday I tried something new.  I roasted a big pan of tomatoes with garlic & some Italian salad dressing.  Then ran them through the chopper, bagged & froze them.  My house smelled REALLY good.  I was thinking this morning how scared I was to go in my basement & check the tomatoes to see how many are ready to be done again. Glad I only had 2 plants cause wow did they ever produce.

Really glad fires are missing our girls. Scary stuff.

Big D  Always nice to hear from you.  Glad you enjoyed your pizza.  I too think you would not have enjoyed it as much if the boss had been there. Hope your doc gets your treatment under control.  Wishing the best for the next round.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited September 2014

Time to make you cry if you haven't seen this my friends. Check this out!

Mom's last dance with son at his wedding 'most beautiful thing' to her kids: http://www.today.com/parents/moms-last-dance-son-wedding-most-beautiful-thing-her-kids-2D80168621

• 70charger
    edited September 2014

Oh April!  Words cannot describe the emotions attached to watching that.  Thank You for sharing.

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Thanks for sharing April. I actually saw that on Facebook last night. It was so sad I couldn't bear to watch that again. I cried like a baby.

Janis, sounds like you' 've been a busy bee. Homemade spaghetti sauce.Yum but leave the basil out for me. It gives me a tummy ache .In fact I had a tummy ache after dinner I think after eating the canneloni .And then I ate it left over the next day.Really bad tummy ache. I didn't know what other kind of drink to order because the daiquri is made with rum which gave me a really bad headache the next day.

I have been really stiff in my knees lately. I guess I wasn't sure if it's the Tamoxofin or not. Probably but not unbearable yet.

Fran, glad to hear I'm not alone when it comes to situation s with the kiddos.

I have had it a lot easier today at work and I actually only have 3 bone densities on Friday too. But next week is busier. I'm trying to madly catch up like crazy.

My manager has been overly sweet. It's creepy. Not sure what she's up to.

The saga continues with my daughter's friend. They locked her out and she's currently at our house. Their home but she has knocked and knocked and no one answers or so she says. I'm getting ready to go down there and knock until they answer I don't care who's in bed. That angers me .She admitted she slept on the couch outside one night because they locked her out. I'm sorry but that's borderline abuse. Who does that kind of crap?

• josie123
    edited September 2014

BTW, my DD s friend got her sister to text her back and I walked her back home and made sure she got in. Appears the mother works all night and sounds like the father could care less if his daughter is home before locking the door.

• 70charger
    edited September 2014

Josie, my kids are all grown now.  But I survived 4 girls including twins.  They are why I have so much gray hair. lol  As I tell people "I earned each & everyone of them".

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Fran, yes you did earn those gray hairs.4 girls? Wow I thought I had my hands full with 2 girls.

Boys are much easier.

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited September 2014

I don't have the guts to go to April's link -- I'm a softie these days!  ;-)

Josie, that's really disturbing about your young neighbor girl. It sounds like Social Services might need to know about this!  I know you probably don't want to drop a dime. I wonder if you could have a quiet talk with the guidance department at school (I'm assuming the girl attends the same school as your daughter)?  I'm sure others here with more experience in this field can offer suggestions. But it sounds like, if not abuse, a definite case of neglect. I'm glad to hear you're getting a little breather at work!

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Yes Gemini I find it disturbing too and I really don't want to be the tattle tail but I can't see letting that go on. She would be better off with us. I feed her dinner and she's so thin. I don't think she eats much at home. 

My oldest DD had her ultrasound on her breasts today. The tech was very interested in my Breast cancer history and even admitted to feeling the large lump in her left breast. Yet when she came back in with the results she said it was normal breast tissue. What the heck?

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited September 2014

Glad the pizza party was so yummy, Big D.  Probably just as well your wet blanket boss had to be somewhere else.  Sounds as though, despite the ups and downs, you're settling in to what needs settling into.  So nice that your onc can adjust your dose way, way down and keep you functional (for you, not for old WetBlanket).

You know, Josie, a generation ago, or maybe two generations ago, locking the door at curfew might have been viewed as reasonable behavior.  Today, not so much.  And why doesn't the poor kid have a key?  It's so lucky she has you, your DD, and your family to fill up the empty spots.

Nope, not gonna watch the tearjerker. 

And has anyone heard from Gigil?

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited September 2014

Hi Y'all!

BigD - yippee!  You threw your pizza party and I'm glad that poop of a boss was not there to enjoy one bite!  Hang in there you have very full pockets and angles on your shoulders....guess we better shift our weight some so the walker is lighter...in my prayers :)

Red - miss ya and sending good vibes:)))

April - ah, the last dance,,.tears...she did it!  Gosh this robs steals and crushes dreams...cure for MBC now!

Josie - luv pic happy anniversary...kill that dd...

Janis - so get it I took a 1 month break after finding out the damage from AI and have been hit or miss on taking...big talk in Jan...I'm not sure ill continue...hate it when reminded 1B micromets...ugh((( best wishes to you 

All you NE gals enjoy your meet cute and post pics...and how much you win!

CA fire gals glad you are safe...we went on a beach trip when the flames came up our mountain..,hard to watch your neighbors and friends evacuating...grr...rain please 

Ok, taking bets...4 mo lab 43# will he fit in a series 400 kennel mid Nov at 6 mos?  Will being neuter make him any lighter....booking tickets...his ticket is almost more than the twice that of ours...grr...were going to fly to lax and drive to Rancho Mirage so pup won't have to do the layover in Dallas...we'll drive back in our suv late jan.  Hubby is still slow infection continues...this is crazy bad.   

Gosh, I want some Indian candy corn...ugh the sugar rush would make me feel like a heart attach...gosh no fun being sugar free, glutten free, vegan, ...sneak a sip of red wine...

Shout out to all!  Joan, GiGil, Bunkie, SAB, Brookside, Charger....et al

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• 70charger
    edited September 2014

Brookside  Just checked Gigil's profile It says she was last seen Aug 18th!  So not like her.  Does this mean it is time to play detectives again?  I REALLY hope it just means she has been busy.  But that's a long time to not check in. 

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Ok, now I'm worried.I hope she's ok. Maybe just busy.

Cindy, Your DH is still dealing with the infection? I'm sorry that's no good.

I'm so tired tonight. My DD wanted me to take her to a few thrift stores tonight after school and They (her and Her 

2 friends)Talked me into buying them each a soda at the $ tree and everybody got 1$ item which they all picked candy of course.

Halfway through dollar tree I was so sleepy. Long day. My oldest DD and I went to Bath and Body works grabbed a gourmet latte at Dierbergs and some lunch and went to Good will store.We were home by noon. But I'm so done.

I still don't think those ultrasound results were right. How can they not see it on the ultrasound but it was felt by the nurse practitioner. What next? I had to part $80 for my  copay or whatever. I'd like to get a second opinion.But don't have anouther $80.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited September 2014

Joan - it's unanimous - we are all glad your cheapskate boss wasn't there. I love pumpkin bread too. Sorry you aren't feeling well. That must be some kind of strong drug. I wish you didn't have to work at all esp dealing with all your medical issues. Unfortunately, for the vast majority of us we have to work. 

Janis - they are spoiled little angels. I can't pass the doggie treats aisle w/o getting them a treat or a toy. Gotta put the brakes on that. 

Josie - bless you for helping your DD's friend. Despicable parents. I would take gemini's suggestion and talk to a school counselor. Do you know her parents well enough to talk about being locked out? We took one of my son's friends in for 8 months. His mother kicked him out. No money and nowhere to go. He is fine now, married with a little girl and calls me Mom too. 

I would talk to the tech. 

Cindy - enjoy your trip! Ugh don't think he will be lighter after being neutered. Haha. 

Brookside - you are so right. Times have def changed. Parents aren't allowed to beat their kids, etc. and they shouldn't. Josie's right who does that to their own child? 

April - I did watch it. Gut wrenching. 

70charger - I color my gray hair. Mine came from 4 boys and 1 girl. I agree time to play detective and find out what's going on with Gigil. Does anyone know how to contact her?

Diane 

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited September 2014

josie,  I think it's entirely possible that the US is correct.  I have what my surgeon calls " normal, lumpy, bumpy breasts" which is some sort of cystic something ( forget the name)  I've has this since my mid 20's  and yes, you can feel lumps, but it is normal tissue  so,  good idea to ask the tech, or the radiologist who has by now read the ultra sound results, but I think she could be just fine.

• RedReading
    RedReading Member Posts: 1,262
    edited September 2014

Hi everyone. Nothing to say, just wanted to pop in and say hello. {{{{Cindy}}}} {{{{BigD}}}}} Missed you girls.

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Red reading, Hi!!

Diane, yes that is awful they locked her out. She said she did have a key but lost it.

She said her Mom yelled at her Dad for locking her out.

Sew, I also had the lumpy breast it's called fibroids. But they removed my fibroids when I was 19 . I'm sure they wouldn't have done the surgery if they didn't have to.

Yet some docs don't remove them .She said its so painful she can't even sleep on that side. I remember that pain. She has cut back on caffeine and takes vitamin E also.

• brooksidevt
    edited September 2014

Northeast gettogether ladies:  I'll definitely be in CT the whole weekend of the 11th, 12th, and 13th (which I think is Columbus Day).  Just received invitation to grandchild birthday on Saturday at noon.  How does late Friday or Saturday, anytime Sunday, or maybe Monday sound to y'all?  I'll be in Wilton, but can travel from there to FoxWoods, if that is where we all want to be.

I sent Gigil a PM, but have not heard back.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited September 2014

I am spending the past 4 days in southern Colorado with dear friends.  I had the days off from work for Rosh Hashanah as the college closed.  I'll try to post a few pix below.

Fossil hunting in Comanche National Grasslands

Colorado golden aspens at Cuchara Pass

Brookside, I may be available on Friday night....as I mentioned, my DD is bring the kids to LI that week end and I hae not seen them in so long.  But I am waiting to hear which day they will be doing the pumpkin farms so I can join them.
    I wish we could find a time when everyone who wants to come could join.
    Any of those days good for anyone who wants to meet?

Janis, I'm glad that the fires aren't close but the smoke and haze must be awful when it comes your way. 

Big D/Joan, I hope your diagnostic mammo is uneventful.  You deserve a break.

I am flying home tomorrow and not looking forward to getting on a plane again.  The whole world seems a bit crazy to me.

Cindy, so sorry to hear DH is still fighting the infection.  What a heartache for you.  I love your doggie questions...hmmm I wonder if he will fit....

And Josie, how said for that young girl whose parents are not there for her...or at least communicating in a positive way.  That's pretty difficult to take...glad you are there for your DD and and that you do what you can for the friend. 

I am also wondering where GigiL is lately.  I hope someone hears back.

I need to get sleep for early departure...we have 3.5 hours drive to airport plus time to return car etc. 

SAB, I hope you and your family have enjoyed some time off for Rosh Hashanah - Happy New Year!

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited September 2014

Cannot do Friday or Saturday. Sunday or Monday work best for me provided baby does not come early!

• brooksidevt
    edited September 2014

Sunday is best for me too, and probably Joan as well.  (We're talking about a CT gettogether Columbus Day weekend, if anyelse is available).

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Joan, nice pics. It looks really beautiful in Colorado.Looks like you found a fossil.

I hope you enjoyed your time off.

Seems like my DD friend is here all weekend.Her mother wakes her up at 7:00 am on the weekend. Why? So she's down at our house by 8 something.

But this girl's friend is no longer welcome here anymore. The girls showed me the hamster yesterday. He had a cut on his back. Well I questioned the girls on how it happened and her friend admitted the the other little girl that comes over sometime probably cut the poor little thing. It looked like the hair around the spot had been trimmed. I was so mad.Apparently this little girl has some issues and fatally wounded her own hamster years ago. Claire had no idea either because she wouldn't of let her near it. Well the parents got her some mental help but apparently it's time for more. I told Claire that girl is not welcome here. She never liked her anyway. Her friend would bring her over sometime. I have no way of proving it and know for sure the friend of my daughter's is an animal lover and would never hurt an animal.It makes me angry though. The hamster will be fine but it could of been a lot worse. The girls gave it a bath the other day. And did notice the girl with a scissors. 

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited September 2014

OMG Josie the girl does need more help. 

Still no word from Gigil. 

Wish I could meet you guys. If I win the lottery between now and then..haha. 

Diane

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Diane, yeah I know. I have enough drama in my life that's for sure.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2014

Diane when I win the lottery there will be a reunion for sure!  Probably in Colorado but no worries, all travel expenses will be covered!  That is one of my dreams, this group getting together.  All of us!  There will be no counting calories ladies the weekend we celebrate!  All dogs are welcome too, I will rent plenty of cabins for everyone  Diane my boyz are so spoiled too.  Who can resist?

Joan loved the pictures, you look so good.  It looks as though you have a real treasure there.  I am so glad you were able to get away for a few days and relax and enjoy both the scenery and the gift of wonderful friends. 

70's Charger your tomatoes sound wonderful.  Very creative and oh so good.  We gave up and made spaghetti sauce with the rest of ours.  We will use it all over the winter, it is great to have it on hand. 

Cindy I hope your husband begins to show some real sign of improvement.  You both have been through so much.  How is the pupper doing?  Get the big crate, betting he will grow into it!

Josie that poor girl sounds very troubled.  Harming animals at such a young age is really disturbing.  She needs help, and lots of it.  I can understand you not wanting her around.  Your daughter needs positive influences in her life.  It really is sad she doesn't seem to be getting the help she needs. 

Big D/Joan you are in my thoughts every day.  Call me anytime you need to vent.  I care.

Love and hugs to all.  :)

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Janis, sounds good to me. It would be awsome to meet everyone in person.

Yes it's very sad about the little girl. Apparently the grandma is more of a parent than the parents and from what the girls are telling me the mother is a drug addict and the father just got out of jail for selling drugs.But I can't allow her at our house if she can't be trusted with animals.I wish I could approach her about the hamster but I have no proof and no one saw it happen. Then she's going to be mad at the girls for blaming her.