Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2014

Josie of course you can't have her around.  First of all, with her many troubles she is not a healthy child in any sense.  You certainly can't fix her.  It is never easy to turn your back on a child but you have to consider your own daughter.  She is at such an impressionable age and it is in her best interest to have as many positive influences around her.  I am sure that you will explain to your DD in a nice way without saying nasty things about that poor child.  These situations are always so difficult.  It is sad that someone, like a school counselor, can't try to get her some much needed help,  This little girl has a terribly difficult road ahead with her family history.  The poor grandmother is likely overwhelmed.  It is so tragic, but you have to keep your daughter safe both physically and emotionally.  It is heartbreaking to see someone so young so deeply troubled, but she sure hasn't had much in the way of guidance in her young life.  That is why I respect you as a parent.  I know how much yours mean to you and all the love that surrounds them.  Also you are teaching them by example and bringing them up with good strong family values.  It isn't always easy but stick to it.  It isn't always fun being a more strict parent and having rules, but honestly, they will thank you for it one day.  Kids really do want boundaries!

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited September 2014

Aww, thank you Janis.Your so sweet. My DD knows why I don't allow her in the house. But unfortunately since I didn't get home till late(6:20) and I knew she was not at home( no answer when I called) she had been down at her friends house all evening since she got home practically. I was a little upset and the girl we were just speaking of was there too. But Claire wouldn't let her inside our house.I am proud of her for doing the right thing. She then of course wanted to walk to the park with these kids even though she had to be home in 30 min. I allowed her knowing she would not get to do much because she'd have to turn around and go home. Well the deal was be home by 7:00 or your grounded.She called me at 7:00 and asked me to come pick her up. Her friends weren't ready to leave.I was not mad I was happy she was responsible enough to call.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited September 2014

Josie, it sounds like your DD is respecting the boundaries you are helping to set.  Sometimes our kids appreciate setting rules and limits.  You have been kind to help out this other girl but you have to protect your own home and family.  Just wondering -- do your kids have cell phones to keep in touch with you?  I always felt that was a dilemma whether to give a child a phone...I never had to deal with that.  I imagine it could be quite helpful.

Janis, I thought of you while in Colorado.  It feels like home to me there.  I lived there in the late 70s.   Every time I go back I am so shocked at how built up everything is.  It is almost a continuous development between south Denver and Colorado Springs.  There used to be miles of "nothing".  Just for fun we looked at homes near my friend's house.  They are priced way under cost and we dreamed of retiring.  I just don't know how I could leave my kids and move away. 
    I did find some fossils - I had very little time since I slept until 10 AM that day so DH and I just grabbed all the loose rocks we could find/  We have found lots of little shells in the rocks that are millions of years old. Collecting fossils is free and legal and pretty easy.   Next time I'll get up earlier and find those dinosaur tracks.  You can't take any mammal or reptile bones.  The rock I was holding was the largest so I could hide behind it LOL!

One day back at work and I am exhausted already.  My Dept. Chair just went into Sloan for 30 days to treat a rare acute leukemia.  We are all in shock at work and feeling uncertain.  We will all have to do a little extra to keep everything running smoothly.  I am very sad to see such a tall strong man with a great deep voice and infectious laugh be going through so much.  Cancer sux.

About the meet-up...if it is Sunday I'd like to meet early so I can visit with my grandkids on my way back.  Anybody available early?

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited September 2014

Yep.  Early Sunday for our gettogether in CT sounds great.  Thus far, I know Joan, April, and I are available.  I'll PM both of you.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited September 2014

Earlier the better for me! Just sent you a PM Brookside...

• justmejanis
    edited September 2014

Joan my sister lives in Castle Rock.  I too remember when that was separate from the Denver metro area.  It has changed so much.  I lived in the Denver area from 1974-1987.  Both of my sons were born there and it has always felt like home to me.  How I would love to be back for good.  I am so glad you were able to get away for a few days.  You deserve it!  Maybe someday you and I will have the opportunity to meet there.  You would be more than welcome at my son and DIL's home in Conifer.  Since they are both geologists you would all get along so well.  Wouldn't that be something?  I will never stop dreaming!

Josie Claire sounds like she really has a good heart and wants to do the right thing.  Of course she is just coming into that age where rebellion becomes a temptation.  I think you are on the right track with her.  Always keep the lines of communication open.  If she feels she can talk to you openly and honestly she is more likely to come to you when faced with difficult choices.  Listening to your child means so much to them.  You have done a good job Josie.  Your love for them shines.  Raising a child is the hardest job on earth.  Kudos to you Sweetie!

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Joan, yes Claire has a cell phone but it's out of minutes right now. I'm going to attempt to purchase some minutes on Friday when DH gets paid. She wanted a contract phone but we said no since we live week to week and that's expensive. 

Sounds like you got some much needed rest and relaxation this weekend. I'm jealous. But good for you. I'm sorry to hear about your co worker and his recent cancer dx. 

Janis, thank you for the kind words about my DD and how I'm doing raising her. I am proud of her but am cautious not to trust her too much. She wants to do the right thing . It's a constant battle of wills with kids especially girls. I was a good kid and "wore my feelings on my shoulders " according to my father. But he was tough and scared me sometimes with his voice . He never laid one hand on me.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited September 2014

Hi Y'all

Sounds like you NE gals will soon meet up and share pics :)))

Joan - so sorry about your colleague...yes, c sux:( hope the work load will shift gently and he does well.  Enjoyed peeking into Fall in CO.  A nice trip. 

Josie - wow, feel sorry for the girl with absent parents...so sad. Boundaries are so important...a parental hug...a means to stay away when everyone else is going to jump off the cliff.  Hang tight mom...it does pay off.

Hubby gets pic line tomorrow and starts 2X a day infusions...nasty infection...:( pup growing, pickle ball is my new  adventure...tonight I sub...warned I've only played 1...hit last night and was whooped after 30 min not use to the heat humidity and picking up my feet...ha ha dancing is at least iindoors and AC.  Cross fingers I don't embarrass myself and not get invited back...it least I can serve and hit solid long where I want it...yeah for tennis skills...

Have a good night!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• josie123
    edited September 2014

Aww Cindy, I'm sorry your DH has such a bad infection. I hope they can get it under control soon.

What's pickle ball?

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152
    edited September 2014

Josie has the same response as I.   Pickle ball???  My DH hated getting a pic line....the nurses had the giggles and couldn't get it in correctly.  So...NO laughing during the procedure!!

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited September 2014

Still no GiGil?  I'm worriedScared

Big D  How did Friday go, I think that was your lower dose treatment day?

Josie,Your DD has a good head on her shoulders.  That means job well done.  High Five mom!

Cindy sorry to hear hubby still not well.  Hope these antibiotics do the trick.  No one needs that kind of stress.

To the NE gals,  Have a GREAT get together.  Enjoy.

To all the others, Big Hugs.  Keep warm.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited September 2014

Ladies, I know Gigil less than any of you, but I sure did benefit from her wisdom and advice.  I Personal Messaged her and asked her to post that she is ok and that we miss her.  She will at least get a message in her email account to check her BCO mailbox.  Maybe if enough of us do it, someone will try to let us know what is going on???? Does anyone know her real name?  And or where she lived? 

• 70charger
    edited September 2014

Brookside pm'd her a couple of days ago.  no word back yet.

• brooksidevt
    edited September 2014

Did she leave a message using her real name on KateHudson's obit page?

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164
    edited September 2014

Cindy: Hope your DH is feeling better and of course I LOVE your photo wit your pup - so funny you have your shirt in your mouth!

Josie: I can't believe how stressful your job is, I've been there as well and it's so awful to work like that.  I don't comment but I think of you often and hope things get better.

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Dogsneverlie, thank you for thinking of me. I have tried to be proactive lately and have been sending in my resumes. I hope to get a response from someone soon. Tommorow I have16 bone densities. And of course don't have them all benefits for their insurance because I had 13 Bone Densities on Monday which leaves me little time to do anything else. Wish me luck.

• 70charger
    edited October 2014

Looks like GiGil was last on her FB page Sept 17th.  Pretty sure it's her page , Thanks Redheaded1 & Brookside.

Gigil.  It's ok to take a break from here, just ck in & let us know your ok. Miss ya.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited October 2014

Hi Y'all

Charger, Josie, Dogsneverlie - thanks!  Hubby's pic line is in, but someone drop the ball on home health so now waiting for infusion meds...GRRR.  I called and verified drop ball hopefully will get going and kick this infection.

Pickle ball is played on a small tennis court with what looks like a Ping pong paddle&whiffle ball...fun...but my feet just don't move fast in heat and humidity.  Check it out on YouTube it's fun and suppose to be easier than tennis, but I don't know...the ladies I played with the other night are good...going to take some time. Didn't realize how much I still need to work on regaining strength 

Josie - hope work goes well for you...scan scan...calm office please!

Pink October, Anniversaries, so much to comprehend...thankful it's in rear window...

BigD - holding you tight {{{squeeze}}} 

Shout Out to all!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited October 2014

Big D---Have you got your second treatment?????? (((HUGGSSSS))))) Let me up out of your pocket, I need some AIR!!!!!

• RedReading
    RedReading Member Posts: 1,262
    edited October 2014

Hi all. I've been ok but some of you are going through some stuff. My thoughts are with you.

Cindy, glad your hubby got th pic line in okay but isn't it Murphy's Law that someone would drop the ball in the meds? Booooo. Sorry you two have to go through this. And I know what pickle ball is!! No-one plays it around here and I want to try it. Oh well.

Josie, more bone density tests? Wow. Sorry about the insurance. That sucks. Good luck tomorrow. I'll be in your pocket. And your DD sounds like a lovely girl.

BigD how are you doing after your infusion today? Hope you are well and taking it easy.

I guess that's it, back to work.

{{{hugs}}}

Deb

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited October 2014

Cindy - never heard of pickle ball but sounds like fun. I played softball, badminton, volleyball and even flag football. I had 5 brothers so always playing or watching sports. Fast pitch was totally out of my league. Friend wanted me to play golf but hate the sport except for putt-putt! Haha. 

Sorry about husband's medical issues. 

This month will be busy with breast cancer awareness month for my support group. We have a table set up after the masses at church on Sunday and our coordinator is hosting a dinner at her home. We get together every other month now. Great group of ladies. 

Son has rugby game Saturday and then off to game watch. My Irish play Stanford. Yikes! They better be ready. 

Have a good weekend everyone. Wish Gigi would post just so we know she's k. 

Diane 

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Cindy and Red reading thanks for the kind words. I'm still hanging in there at work but only till I find a new full time job. This part time is keeping me in the poor house.

Cindy there is no excuse for them to not have that infusion ready. That's terrible.

Diane, sounds like you'll be busy this month. I hate golf too but love putt putt.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited October 2014

Hi, being a night owl and I know better since I have to go to work ...Fridays are a little later for me so that helps.  I stayed up to watch baseball and then went online.  Oh well...

Cindy, it's great that you are keeping active.  Wish you lived nearby so you could drag me out to play.  Hugs and prayers for DH and all his trials.  You two have been through a lot this year...I hope soon you can look back and be glad it is behind you. 

Janis, we must have been "neighbors"...I lived in Aurora from 1976 to 1978.  It's always home to me.  I have been thinking of taking a summer road trip and spending time in CO.  You never know - it just may work out for us!  Would love to meet your geologist kids...
    Conifer is where we cut our first Christmas tree when we moved there with 3 little girls.
    I hope you and DH are doing well, Janis...any updates?

Josie, you sound positive but I still do not know how anyone could do 16 BD tests in a day AND verify all the insurance and records.  One day at a time...that's all we get.  These are busy times for you with your growing family.  It's easier when they were little, I thought.  But I didn't know it at the time.

GigiL please check in....missing you.

I am looking forward to meeting - anybody else want to join us? 
    Good night for now....will catch some sleep.

• justmejanis
    edited October 2014

Good morning ladies.  I am trying so hard to post more often and not take long breaks.  I always read to keep up but my posting could use a little work. 

Cindy sounds like getting that pic line in was a real snafu.  Hopefully he has the infusions going now.  I had a pic line about 15 years ago after I got a serious infection from a dog bite.  I had it in for a month, and did the infusions myself although nurses came in to clean out the flushy ball and clean the lines out.  I hope the meds are good and strong and take care of his problem quickly.  Gentle hugs sweet lady!

Dogsneverlie, I see your beautiful fur kids in your avatar.  Murphy is in mine with his beloved 'Buzzy".  I should try to post a larger picture of them.  I am not sure how, I tried before and it was an epic fail. I am not good with computers, my skills are really minimal!

RedReading how nice to hear from you. I hope you post more often.

I am not really worried about GiGil mostly because she has taken breaks from here before.  She will reappear.  She is such a busy lady and so involved with her kids and grandkids.  I think she is just busy and she will check in.  I know everyone will feel better when she does.  Come out to play GiGil, you are missed!

Joan I also lived in Aurora, for many years.  I lived there from 1974-1987.  Ryan was born in Denver at St. Joseph, Adam was born at Aurora Pres.  It has since changed names but it still there.  Small world sometimes.  I think it will always be home for me, or Wyoming will because I lived there for 20 years. I do have one update.  My DH had a mole on his upper arm that had been checked and was deemed nothing to worry about.  He has a lot of moles on his arms from sun exposure, more on his left arm that hangs out the window when he drives.  Yesterday we were folding laundry and he reached across the table and his tee shit sleeve pulled up just enough to reveal a very new and very scary mole.  This thing had to have developed nearly overnight.  It is where the other small mole was.  It has a bright red ring around it and the center is black and raised.  We were both shocked how fast that mole changed.  He has to use the VA, he sent them a message requesting an appointment with a dermatologist ASAP.  They wrote back and said he has to have his regular doctor look at it first, and if the doctor deems it necessary then he will refer him to a dermatologist.  I want to rip my hair out (but so thin now I better not).....he will call today and see when he can get an appointment  to have his doctor check it. I sure would appreciate it if everyone would send out special thoughts/prayers for him.  Whatever you do, it all helps. 

Thank you my friends.  I hope everyone has a great weekend. 

• april485
    edited October 2014

OMG Janis! Will keep hubby in my thoughts and prayers along with Cindy's hubby and BigD and everyone else!

Joan/Brookside, Have we decided when/where? Please let me know when you do

Josie, 13 in ONE DAY????

Ok, at work and of course client came in for his 11 and the desk is buzzin me like crazy. See ya later!

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited October 2014

Hi Everyone.  Sorry to have been so absent lately.  I have been on the road a lot traveling back and forth to our house in the country to get it staged for sale.  I should have checked in now and again, however.  Sorry to have worried you.  I am doing very well indeed.  I have gotten some huge tasks out of the way.  One of which was going to downtown Minneapolis to get my social security card straightened out.  I had the wrong last name on there, and I am soon required to apply for Medicare.  I hope you are all doing well.  I will try to read back and update myself on how things are.  Thanks for caring.  Love,  GiGi

• 70charger
    edited October 2014

GIGIL!!!  So Glad we were able to flush you out of the woodwork. Good to hear you have just been busy.  What a relief it is to hear that.

Big D.. Your next.  Come out Come out Wherever you are!

RunFree.  How you doing? Long time no hear from as well.

• brooksidevt
    edited October 2014

So very happy all is well, Gigil, and hoping that house sells like a stack of hotcakes!

• april485
    edited October 2014

YAY!! She's back and she is well...woot!

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Gigil, so glad your ok.Thanks for posting. Sounds like your busy,busy,busy..

Janis, that is scarey about DH. I hope everything turns out good for him I will keep him in my prayers. Keep us posted.

Joan,  and April,Thanks for caring so much. I agree .That leaves little to no time for nothing else but Bone Densities when they book so many in 1 day. Wednsday I didn't get lunch till 2 pm. Today wasn't to bad.but no time left for phone calls . I got most benefits done for Monday. But not all. I get there at 8:00 am and my first One Density isn't till 9:00 am so I will have to try and get as much done as I can. Today I got there at 7:00 am and didn't leave till like5:00 PM. I'm tired. Tommorow I have a little all day seminar to go on so I can try to earn my continuing education points. I need 30 pts before Feb. I'm not looking forward to it. Because Saturday is the only day we get to spend together DH and I. Oh well at least he's off tommorow night.

Have a good weekend everyone. I 'll check back later.Cool weather this weekend. So happy. I love fall.