Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited October 2014

Janis and Cindy praying for your husbands.  Mine has some trouble with atrial fibrillation.  He has been on strong meds to control it.  A few weeks ago, he had another bout.  He finished his four day stint of work and then asked one of his colleagues to cardiovert him.  He left me a message telling me he had been in atrial fib for four days, was going to be caedioverted and he would call me when it was over.  I packed my bags in 10 minutes and headed down the road for the three hour trip to the hospital where he works.  I was over halfway there when he called me to tell me he was fine.  He was stressed to hear I was on my way.  After much discussion we agreed he would tell me if it happened again, if I would turn around and go home.  He had to work the next day!  It is so hard when besides what we all have gone through, our family has health challenges too.  We just don't have the energy for it, do we?

Josie, my daughter has a funky area in one of her breasts.  Her breasts are quite large, but the doctors say she has very little actual breast tissue in there.  I suppose it is mostly fat.  She has lost some weight this past year - most of her baby weight.  She looks great.  She nursed both of her kids until they were at least a year of age.  They are however watching her breasts closely, with my mother, me, my 30 year old niece all being survivors.  My poor mom died of completely unrelated causes.  And so we worry about those we love...  Again, where does the psychic energy come from?  Glad we all have each other to talk to.  

Nice some of you are getting together in the NE.  I wish I could make it.  We are planning to go to Florida over my birthday the end of this month.  It is so cold in Minnesota right now, the warmth will be nice. I had planned to just stay there for the duration of winter, but now I have a house to sell, another one to buy and moving to do.  Back and forth for me!  Being busy is a good thing!  I want to live closer to my daughter.  She has so much on her plate.  I feel the need to be there for all of them more.  All good changes!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited October 2014

Hi friends,
    Of course, I lost my earlier post...
    Watching post season baseball and the games are over now so sleep will happen.

Gigi, good to see you!  You really are busy with the house sale and keeping up with the family not to mention DH's issues.  What a scare for you to get that phone call.  I agree it would be better if he kept you in the loop if it happens again.  Hoping things go well for you.  It's great that you can get to FL

Janis, that is a scare for DH.  I hope it turns out to be nothing serious. 

Sew, calling Sew...

Thinking of SAB and another Holiday week end...enjoy the time.

Gemini you must be getting ready for your adventure to the Cape.

More tomorrow....
    Joan

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited October 2014

Gigl--glad you posted--sounds like you are working really hard and keeping plenty busy. Isn't it grand that people miss you here--jeez we are like a million moms or something.

Josie--hang tough, and persevere-- you need those credits !!!!

It was 36 degrees this a.m. when I got up.  Glad I pulled my Basil out of the garden last night. Now the whole house smells spicy, as I was too tired to mess with it last night. Soon as  I down this oatmeal, it is going to the food processor for pesto.  High for today 50.....

Guess it's time to go plunk $ down for the gym membership.  I couldn't force myself to bundle up to go walk at the lake, and that's m y exercise regime....... 

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited October 2014

Redheaded, and everyone, I've been going to a lovely little ladies-only gym half way between my home and office.  Treadmill, circuit, peace and quiet.  So quiet that it will be closing its doors in a couple of weeks.  I guess I'll be buying a treadmill, but don't see how I'm going to get the resistance exercise necessary for my AI-subjected bones.  I do have some strengthing exercises my PT gave me for the bursitis in my hips, and I guess that's a start, but let's face it, that wiill be minutes/day.  I confess I'm ready for the gym to close--just not feeling the exercise thing right now.  Looking for inspiration.

• Bapalona
    Bapalona Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2014

I am about to embark on radiation therapy. Any advice on how I can best prepare myself for the treatment with respect to specific nutrition and herbal supplements? 

• brooksidevt
    edited October 2014

Specifically, and highly important, avoid supplements like the plague until a couple of weeks after treatment ends.  Radiation works because normal cells heal themselves, while cancer cells cannot do so and die off.  There is great concern that supplements, especially antioxidants like vitamins A, C, and E, not only support the health of our normal cells, but might be just the thing to allow naughty cancer cells to survive the blasts. I'm not certain this has been incontrovertibly proven, but it seems pretty generally accepted, and sure makes a lot of sense.  Your radiation oncologist can address current studies and assumptions on this subject far better than I.

They do want us to take our normal everyday vitamins, and vitamin D as well.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited October 2014

Bapalona,

Eat normally, incorporating fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains and plenty of lean protein.

Keep yourself well hydrated.  Brookside is absolutely correct about the way the radiation works. Your Radiation Onc and his/her team can advise on this.  See if anyone has started a Fall Rads page, and you will meet other ladies starting treatment when you do.  I was in the spring rad group.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited October 2014

Hi Everyone, and Shana Tova to any ladies who celebrate the New Year this month.  I have been running around without my computer and with spotty internet, and and work and so I have been quite absent.  Last weekend was spent at Yosemite and I've included a picture from the valley floor (Half Dome) and one from the top of Upper Yosemite Falls.

Amazing.  

I have been trying to read about what is going on, forgive me for missing so much.  I am concerned about the DH reports, and also want to give kudos to Josie, who is working so hard at work and as a mom!  I'm excited for the NE meet up and looking forward to pictures!  More soon, I hope, but just wanted to check in and let you know I'm hovering whenever I have a chance.  Hugs to you!  Susan

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited October 2014

SAB, what amazing and beautiful pics. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm jealous. Mainly because I have never been there. Maybe someday.

I made it through my seminar today. I came home to hubby cleaning. What's up with that? I'm not complaining.Now he's making dinner. He may feel a tad bit guilty for spending too much at Target today. I told him last night we needed to go grocery shopping and he was not allowed to go without me. Well he did and brought my DD and her friend. Oh well what can I do.

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Bapaloma welcome, 

It sounds like you got some excellent advice already. Not sure if there's anything else to add.Definitely plenty of protein and drink drink drink water that isThumbsUp

The seminar was quite interesting and I got 7 CEUs from it. Also I learned if

I'm working in the medical field for at least 3 years I get 10 points per year.

I also found myself volunteering to be on the board I couldn't tell you myself the official position. It has something to do with finding speakers for the next conference. And they pay for your conference fees, hotel room . The next one

Is April and its in Kansas city. I have to attend. Road trip!!!

• rosecal954
    rosecal954 Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2014

SAB:  Your photos of Yosemite are outstanding; thank you for sharing.  Yosemite is one of our favorite places to unwind and take in the beauty of nature.  My husband and I are going there next month. Hiking to the top of Yosemite Falls is quite a hike and the views are awesome.  Last year before my radiation treatments started we took a short vacation to there and came back so refreshed and ready to tackle the radiation part of this breast cancer journey. We also spent our honeymoon there some 37 years ago.  I am a one year survivor and wish you and all of my sisters good health and much happiness.  Carol

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited October 2014

Welcome Bapalona and Rosecal

Gigil thanks for checking in.  I was pretty sure you were busy as you usually are.  It sounds crazy now with the moving but I am glad it will make it possible to be nearer to your family.  Take care Sweetie and check in when you can.  Big hugs.

Bapalona you got some good advice here.  I think it is important to discuss all your concerns with your oncologist.  He may have specific recommendations he wants you to follow.  We are happy to help you along this journey.  Good luck!

Sab what stunning pictures.  I love Yosemite it is truly one of the most beautiful places on earth.  Thank you for sharing.

Josie I hope everything is getting easier.  How nice DH did some cleaning and cooking too.  Glad that you liked the seminar and it like you got quite a bit out of it.

Rosecal welcome!  Congratulations on your one year anniversary.  Enjoy your trip to Yosemite next month.  I wish I could come!

• SAB
    edited October 2014

Congrats Rosecal! It was my first time there and I truly did not know what I was getting into :-) About 2/3 of the way up my (horrid) dh says "This is a metaphor for our life" so then I couldn't turn back!!! Welcome to you Baploma!

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited October 2014

Sab, those photos are gorgeous! The way I feel these days with the exemestane (aromasin) I would never be able to hike that...sigh.

To all of you, wishing you a peaceful Sunday enjoying the fall weather (if you have it)

NE get together ladies, countdown to next Sunday begins!

• brooksidevt
    edited October 2014

Josie, it sure sounds as though that seminar was well worth the effort and expense.  Not only did you get your continuing education credits, but, with your new board membership and connection to the organization, you're in the process of establishing professional connections that might very well uncover the job leads that we all wish for you. 

SAB, about the hiking--Are you saying you hiked all the way up to that peak from way down there in the faraway downthere?  Amazing!

Ladies, next Sunday, Joan, April, and I will be chattering away at FoxWoods.  Anyone else?

BigD/Joan, so very much looking forward to hearing how you are doing. 

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Hey, I've got a question. Does anyone here see a chiropractor? There was a married couple that spoke at our seminar yesterday.It really sparked an interest in me. I know they aren't really considered real medical doctors since they can't prescribe medications and they use a lot of herbal supplements too which I'm a little Leary of. I asked the Dr after his talk if he had medical oncologist that would work right along with him .He said some do some don't. I also asked if he would try and talk me out of taking my Tamoxifen. He said no he said it was my choice what I was taking .They talked on Cardiovascular problems and also Adrenal fatigue. It sounds like they go one step further in listening to your body's signals . For example he talked about how most liver toxicity is reflected in skin issues. And he did mention when he found out I was on Tamoxofin that they would have to look at detoxifying my liver or something like that. They also mentioned how distressing helps like mediation.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited October 2014

Gigil good to hear from you. You have a lot going on. Sorry about your husband and Janis and Cindy's. My neighbor just had cardioversion. The doctor said if that didn't "take" they might be looking at a pacemaker. From what I understand it is very common. My Dh would do the same thing your's did. He doesn't want to worry me so he doesn't tell me until the deed is done. I have told him too I do have the need to know beforehand.

Beautiful pics of Yosemite. I have never been either. Have been to the Grand Canyon - it was very impressive too.

Josie - I have heard pros and cons about chiropractors. Some people swear by them. I think you go with whatever works.

Great football weekend for you sports fans - esp college football. Big time Notre Dame fan - they eeked out a win in the final minute. I have low bp but when they play its a different story. In the South football really is a religion. Ole Miss upsets Alabama and Miss State beats the Aggies. Hated that one since my FIL is a grad. Even our University of Memphis Tigers scored a big win. Went to son's rugby game yesterday - he won...yea and off to a game watch for the ND game. Fun at both events.

Weather is cooler thankfully. Have beautiful mums outside and inside. We were blessed we survived the latter part of the summer with our window units. Temps never approached the 100 degree mark.

On the somber side friend's daughter was just DX with IDC. She is 40. Its a big tumor so doctors are considering chemo before they decide on the surgery. Obviously she and Mom are devastated. Please pray for them. My friend just lost her husband last year to a brain tumor. Really tests our faith sometimes.

Diane

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Diane, I'm so sorry to hear that news. I will keep her in my prayers.

• golilly2
    golilly2 Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2014

Hello,

I've been getting radiation treatments for four weeks and I got Mastitis  which the RO says is rare and I am getting chest burns now. I've followed the directions of the RO to stay hydrated with water and his brand of lotions. Since I'm start starting to burn I've bought lots of aloe plants and calendula lotion to help. I'm nervous about the boosts that are a week away since the RO said they were painful due t my cancer location and will cause severe burns since my skin is so sensitive. My cancer site is directly under my nipple less breast. Every body is different and how we react to the radiation. Good luck to you and I hope things go smoothly. I bought a whole lot of supplements to fight this battle but the MO put me on a seize fire mode. So I'm just waiting to get moving on adding these supplements. My daughter is a OB/GYN and works with a Onco /GYN doc  and this doc recommends IP-6 and Inositol for us breast cancer ladies. I looked this supplement up on several breast cancer sites and each site had positive things to say. Take care my thoughts are with you...

• brooksidevt
    edited October 2014

If you're starting to have problems beyond the ordinary, Golilly, please do be certain you see a nurse or RO every day or two--They have ointments and dressings that they do not even mention until they are needed, and that are specific to radiation-related issues.  The normal once/week RO schedule is meant for the ho-hum ordinary issues.  It must seem like forever until you'll be done, but day by day, you're getting there. 

• RaiderGirl
    RaiderGirl Member Posts: 235
    edited October 2014

Hi Bapaloma, The Oncologist Radiologist told me absolutely no supplements of any kind during rads. Afterwards I could take whatever I wanted so long as it was ok with the MO. The reason given was that supplements frequently protect cells , increase cell renewal. The purpose of radiation is the destruction of cells . Its known that certain supplements such as Vit C and some antioxidants can reduce the benefits of chemo by up to 70%. The same is suspected of radiation. So for 6+ weeks, take nothing. Drink plenty of water to flush out the toxins You can start some kind of supplemental regime later.

I have only 5 of 33 rads to go. These last 5 are all with boosters. I began to feel extreme fatigue with 10 to go. Its not so bad.

Good luck to you. I wish you the best.

• edwards750
    edited October 2014

Thanks Josie. 

This afternoon this guy ran a red light and totalled our car. Wasn't in the car but DH was. He's k thankfully - bumps and bruises. Had witnesses which helped a lot. Other car is history too. Wife of other driver started going off about her husband would never run a red light, blah, blah. All the while the police are writing him a ticket. She was livid. She wasn't in his car either. Haven't had the car a year yet. I know only a car but dang. Hate car shopping and the salesmen who come with it. 

Diane 

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Diane, thank God he wasn't injured. He must have a good guardian angel. Will the insurance provide you with a rental until you can get about her car? They should.

• SAB
    edited October 2014

Diane, I'm sorry about your friend and about the car! Thank heavens DH is OK. 

Bapaloma I didn't even drink green tea during rads because I was so paranoid about getting those nasty cancer cells.

Raidergirl make sure you listen to your body and rest if you can.

golily I'm sorry you're having challenges with the rads.  I hope it's not too painful for you, and please do talk to your RO as often as you need.  Brookside is right...they have a whole arsenal of ideas.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited October 2014

Diane, sorry to hear about your car, but relieved for your husband that he wan't seriously injured. I had my own close call today in the Target parking lot.  I was coming to a crossroad and a car came speeding from the left, as I was glancing right.  I slammed on my brakes, and all of my newly purchased items flew forward.  I thanked my guardian angels all the way home that nothing worse happened.  Why are people in such a hurry on a Sunday?  It is total insanity to drive that fast in a parking lot or anywhere else for that matter!

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152
    edited October 2014

Diane, so glad to hear that your DH is okay.  He may be quite sore or bruised from seatbelt injury this week.  Glad they ticketed the guy!

Gigil,  I know what you mean.  Some people forget that they are driving in a parking lot and not on a freeway!  There is a busy shopping center near me that I think should be part of the driving test for a license.  All drivers from teens to blue-haired ladies are there...quite a challenge!

Good wishes to all.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited October 2014

Wow Diane! Sorry about your hubby's accident and your car. Some people on the roads forget they are driving which is akin to pointing a loaded pistol at all of us. It is dangerous the way many drive like maniacs and we are suffering the consequences, like GiGil almost did in that parking lot. The older I get, the more I realize how scary the roads have become. I drive around with my middle finger out in my mind (would not dare actually flip them off due to all of the road rage) because people are so aggressive!

Please keep my father in your thoughts ladies. He was taken to the hospital by ambulance early this morning and he is 89 and not well...ugh! Am at work as my brother is there and told me he would keep me in the loop. Hoping I don't have to head out until I go after work. We shall see...

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Oh April I will say some prayers for him.So sorry to hear that.

• edwards750
    edited October 2014

Thank you everyone. Our guardian angel is worn out. I can't tell you how many times he has saved my son. He had that angel pin that says don't drive faster than an angel can fly. Of course didn't always do that. 

Josie - don't know about the rental car but good idea. Insurance co has been on top of the situation so hopefully will find out today about getting a car. 

Gigil - good grief they do play bumper cars in the parking lots also backing out not looking to see if anyone's behind them. A delivery truck backed into my son's truck a few years ago and denied doing it. There were cameras in the parking lot so we nailed the driver. 

April - definitely praying for your dad. Wow 89 years old. 

Diane 

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Diane, I'm glad your insurance company is on top of things.

I've had some major drama in my life. My youngest DD is finding out who her true friends are and who would just as soon throw her under the bus. Sunday night the girl I banned from the house started texting my DD and  threatened her telling her to come outside so she could fight her. Not sure where this kid learned such colorful language. I had had enough so I went down the street to her friends house. This supposed friend of hers had this girl whom she claimed was No longer a friend at her house knowingly letting her use her phone to cyber-bully her. I knocked on their door and her older brother came out .I talked to the girls and told them this needed to stop.Well my DD wasn't as innocent as I thought she did admit on this that the day the hamster was hurt she told her friend to say the other girl did it. She wasn't even there that day. But I believed it. Yes she lied to me to protect her friend. So this whole time I was banning the wrong girl from the house. And Now this little girl has a kitten. Why would she make up that horrid story about the hamster . Maybe that was her. My DD wouldn't go to school yesterday. She was scared. I want to go up and talk to someone at the school but my DD said she wants to let it go and see what happens.I still think this young lady my DD was friends with has more problems than I even know. I also think she is lying to me.