Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited October 2014

Holy cow, Josie (or holy hamster?).  Teenagers!  It's none of my business, of course, but this is certainly a situation that needs to be defused, and quickly--There's a lot of school year still left!  Maybe all the parents and kids could talk it out?  Or maybe the school counselor could get involved?  It sure sucks to be a teenager! (Or her parent!)

April, how is your Dad? 

Yikes to the parking lot bumper car thing.  Years ago, I had a friend who had moved here from another country, then learned to drive.  Her husband wanted her to always cut through the shopping center parking lot rather that use the road, as he thought it would be much safer.  That particular shopping center scared the bejeezus out of me!

Prayers for all the husbands, daughters, dads, moms, and all of us, of course.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited October 2014

Brookside, yes I agree. I think Claire learned a lot too. She knows not to say things that could be used against you and she learned who to trust and who not to.I'm going to see how her day goes today. Then if it's bad we will have to meet with parents. I hope it will 

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited October 2014

Josie, I would give the school a heads up on the threats and ask them to just keep an eye on things without any intervention unless it escalates.  They need to know.  So sad that kids are believing this is ok behavior to resolve conflicts. 

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited October 2014

Josie, teenagers are always keeping parents on their toes, aren't they? Hopefully your DD can resolve this soon and feel comfortable going to school.

My father is still in the hospital. He has an infection that they still have not found. His white count is elevated and he has a temp. So, they are keeping him, at least for now. Giving him IV antibiotics and trying to see also why his Blood Sugar was up to 600! That is very very high. He is a diabetic that has been well controlled with insulin so not sure what is going on. He truly just wants to go and be with my mom (he says this all of the time) and does not seem to be responding well to treatment. He is just worn out and wants to go. He keeps asking me why he is still here when he is ready to be with Mom. Sigh...not sure what will happen but will keep you and Joan posted Brookside.

• josie123
    edited October 2014

April, so sorry they can't seem to find his infection. That is so hard when they say those things. My husband's Grandma was like that almost daily asking why she was still alive.But when it came down to death in her final days I really don't think she was ready yet. She lived to 101.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited October 2014

Diane I am so sorry about the car accident.  Glad to hear your DH is okay as well as the other driver.  It is amazing these days you can total two vehicles without any serious injuries.  I hope you are able to get a rental car while looking to replace the one you lost.

April, I have been thinking about your father and wondering what the situation is?  I know you probably didn't have many details when you posted.  I am so sorry and hope with all my heart there is a good outcome for him.  Hugs Sweetie, keep us posted when you are able. 

RaiderGirl I hope your boosts go well.  It sounds like you have handles rads really well.  Good luck!

Josie there is always so much drama with kids, and I think worse with girls.  This is a tough time to raise children.  All you can do is be true to your parenting instincts.  Listen to you kids (as I know you do) and if there is a need for consequences to poor behavior make sure they understand why.  Someday they will respect you, although I know it never feels like it at the time.  Tough love is the hardest thing you ever have to do as a parent.  If your child is heading down a path you are concerned about, reining them back is often harder on the parent.  They will survive, trust me.  One day they will even thank you!  I know right now it is not easy to sort out all the conflicting stories.  I know you will figure out the right thing to do.  Hang in there!

I hope everyone is having a good week.  Take care and hugs my friends.

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Ok ,here's some good news. I applied on line this morning for a  position at our local hospital as a Medical Assistant in the surgery dept. They emailed me this evening saying they would like to give me a telephone interview . I just went online and scheduled it for Thursday at 1pm.

• brooksidevt
    edited October 2014

Great news, Josie.  The nice thing about hospitals is they have all those departments, and all those openings.  Even if this job does not turn out to be right for you, you'll have begun a conversation and will have an "in" when the right position comes along.

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Yes I'm excited. I hope it turns out to be for me. I found out its 32 hrs a week not full time but Its better than what I'm getting now.I've got to go.Have a good day everyone.

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited October 2014

Morning all. I'm going to try to cover everyone. I'll do it in 3 separate posts.  Here goes!

RMlulu-  Hope DH is on the mend.

Edwards 750, enjoy your sports, just don't get carried away. Years ago I had a friend broke his foot while watching wrestling.  He put it through the tv. Sorry bout your car.  Really glad DH is ok.

Joan811- Nice pics.  Glad you enjoyed your getaway.

Red Reading  Nice to hear from you.

GiGil- Get that house sold!  Hubbies can be SO stubborn when it comes to health issue.  Enjoy Florida for me.

Brookside- Get a treadmill, elevate the front.  Walk on it WITHOUT turning it on. Lots of resistance when you do it like that. Sorry your gym is closing, maybe another will pop up.

Bapalona- Welcome.  You'll do just fine.  Lots of help, support & info here. Glad you found us.

• 70charger
    edited October 2014

SAB- Such tranquil pics.  Wish I were there.

Rosecal954- Thanks for checking in.

RaiderGirl- Almost Done! Celebrate the graduation to the next phase.

April485- Tough going with Dad.  Prayers & thoughts are with you.

JustmeJanis, Redhead1,  Keep checking in, always nice to hear from you.

Josie123- Dramarama! This teenage stuff will pass with time. Tough to do but they will move on.  Congrats on the interview. Everythig crossed for you.

• 70charger
    edited October 2014

Big D- Really thinking of you. Hopefully you can take a moment to check in.  We are on the edge of our seats waiting to hear from you.

I'm going to be very busy.  Got Grandkids coming tomorrow for 5 days, Thanksgiving this weekend as well. They will go home for 3 days then be back for another 4.

We just got another car, so I've been busy polishing chrome, making parts list, finding parts. Today I will have to start ordering the parts.  This will be a complete restore.  At least I have something to look forward to for the winter.  That makes me very happy.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited October 2014

Josie good luck. As far as the animal abuser girl I too hope you will give the school a heads up. Children who do this sometimes are deeply disturbed and the school may have resources..

April, I hope everything is ok with your dad. 

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited October 2014

April thinking about your dad and praying for him.  My dad kept saying the same things.  He lasted 13 months longer than my mom.  He was lost without her.  We are having his memorial service in about a week.   Besides having a brother who lives in Europe and travels extensively for business, we almost had to wait this long to be able to do justice to his service.  He was such a delightful, talented man.  So sorry you are going through this.  You dad knows what he wants, but it is so hard to let go!  Hugs to you.  GiGi

• gigil
    edited October 2014

Josie, good luck with your interview.  Sounds like your daughter might be better cutting ties with the whole lot of those girls, and cultivating some new friendships.

• Redheaded1
    edited October 2014

Yeah Josie on the Job prospect!  Got my fingers, toes and knees crossed for you.

Big D---still got you on my heart and my mind and in my prayers.....

April Prayers for you father and his medical team. and for you. Being a daughter can be tough when they get older...

My thyroid biopsy went well yesterday---didn't hurt me yesterday, but I hurt today from my collar bone to my ear.  Guess the nodule was something to see on the ultrasound. Interventional Radiologist got them all over to look at it. Said it was "pretty-  ha- it was pretty big---over 1 cm.  bigger than my boob mass.   Now I wait.......

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Thanks Gigil,Fran,SAB,Readheaded . I hope it turns out good. My sister in law works in outpatient surgery at that hospital. I hope it's in her dept.

Rough day. 13 bone densities and no benefits done for Friday.Oh well I'm not going to sweat it.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited October 2014

Redheaded I too developed nodes on my thyroid.  They were discovered accidently when I was having a CT scan of my chest.  I had the needle biopsy but they weren't able to get enough to sample so they scheduled surgery and removed the right node.  It was benign, and I have had no problems since.  I am told these nodes are very common and almost always benign.  Good luck, fingers and paws crossed for you.

Josie I hope the interview goes well!

70'sCharger how fun you got a new car.  It is clearly a passion for you and now a nice winter project.  Enjoy!

Gigil your dad sounds like he was such a wonderful man.  I hope the memorial is everything you hope for and celebrates his wonderful life and passions.

April I am thinking of you and your dad.  Please let us know how things are when you can.  I am sure this is a difficult time.  Hugs.

Sab I am glad you checked in and hope your world isn't too chaotic!

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited October 2014

Josie - good luck girl. Hope this is The job! Understand about your daughter and the friends. I agree with others I would talk to the school counselor or the parents? I had to do that. In this day and time we have to take threats seriously. The girl def needs help. It's so hard to be a parent - doesn't come with a handbook. 

April - so sorry about your dad. My mother was the same way when my dad died. She had already buried my 2 brothers so she had had enough pain. Hard to let them go like Gigi's dad but its their call and that's so hard to accept. Neither of my parents ended up in a nursing home thank God. 

We have a rental car - yea! Insurance settlement has at least gotten off dead center. Thank you all for your concern. 

There are many of us now forgive me if I skip someone - never on purpose but stress level bit much lately. 

Hope everyone who gets to hook up has fun! Wish I could! 

70charger - lucky you having your grandchildren for 5 days. One of these days I hope we can have all of them together at least for a picture!

Have a good week everyone!

Diane 

• Redheaded1
    edited October 2014

Justmejanis---that's how they found mine-- Ihad a cartotid artery CT with contrast and the yfound it.  They been watching it for a few years, and I just kept passing on the biopsy....

Now I am wondering if that is why I have been having this ear issue instead of what they thought..... As I have researched thyroid nodules, I've come across some info that they can cause jaw and ear issues, if large enought.....Time will tell I guess.

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Thanks Diane and Janis.

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Diane, glad to hear you got the rental.

• 70charger
    edited October 2014

Thanks Just Janis.  It is more like an obsession than a passion.lol

Redheaded1  Hoping for good outcome for you.

Edwards  Wheels!  Good to hear. Insurance companys can sometime drag on before you get result. Glad that was not the case for you.

Josie  hope we hear soon that you nailed the interview & they want you.

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Ok well Telephone interview went ok. I really felt like a was pretty prepared. I wish I did better on a few of the questions but I feel like I made a good impression. Also it helped I looked up some of the most common questions asked during an interview and also made a list of my best attributes. That helped when she's asked why they should hire me.She said they will forward this interview results to the recruiter  and I would hear from someone in a few days. She also asked if I would be interested in full time knowing this job opportunity was for only 32 hours  or was I just strictly interested only in the surgery position. I told her surgery unless she thought I would be a better fit at anouther position that is full time.

• brooksidevt
    edited October 2014

Josie, among those best attributes, I trust you listed your amazing smile? 

Glad it went well--They wouldn't have asked about other positions if it had not, now, would they? 

Yes, I belong to the thyroid nodule club, and have for several years.  Have one on each side measuring about 1 cm, and lots of little ones besides.  At this point, they're just watching them with ultrasounds, which continue to report uninteresting stuff.  As long as nothing starts doing alarming stuff, and as long as I don't have a huge goiter, I guess I'm OK. 

70Charger, I'm guessing you're into restoration of neat cars?

April, thinking of your dad, and of you too!

• 70charger
    edited October 2014

Josie, glad things went ok, on pins & needles till call comes in.

Brookside,  yes we have a few. Love them, Love going to car shows.  Season is way too short here. I've been in love with cars since I was little. This latest one will give me the drive I need to make it through the winter.

April  How's things with Dad going?

Big D   Big Hug.

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Brookside your too sweet. I did not mention my smile but I appreciate the compliment. 

Fran, thanks also for the encouragement.

I had a busy day. My oldest DD wanted me to pick her up this morning. So we could take the puppies to the low cost clinic for shots. I get there and she's still sleeping. Woke up her boyfriends mom.And she tells me they don't open til afternoon. Well she still needed to renew her plates on her car. So she bought me steak n shake since I was her taxi all morning. Oh well at least we got to spend time together. 

I was so tired this evening that I couldn't keep my eyes open. I laid down but my youngest DD wouldn't leave me alone. Oh well I guess I wasn't meant to get a nap today. I hate Fridays. I have to be up by 6am and out the door by6:20 so I can be at work by 7:00 am. Too early for me.

• gigil
    edited October 2014

Josie, so glad your phone interview went well.  It sounds like you did very well indeed.  Here's hoping it all turns out great for you.  You are such a great mom to be a taxi service for your oldest DD.  She is a good kid to thank you with lunch.  I hate days when a nap is so needed, but yet so out of reach.  

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Thanks Gigil

• RedReading
    RedReading Member Posts: 1,262
    edited October 2014

Hi everyone, I'm not ignoring you, I'm just really busy right now. I try to read a few posts each day but with work, my mom's medical problems and also having to pay some attention to my DH, my dog Cleo and my home, I haven't much time to write. 

I've been out to see a couple of comedians lately (they do say laughter is the best medicine), Russell Peters and Lewis Black. Don't know if anyone else here likes standup comedy, but my DH and I are addicted to it. My mom was in the hospital today for a procedure that went as smooth as silk. Gotta love that! She felt great when I got her back to her place, a little tired but not in any pain. At work we are switching over to a new computer system (SAP) that has more bugs in it than my woodpile out back. At the same time, we are also going to a new on-line payroll program. This has meant many long days and working on weekends sometimes - I'm tired. I went for my 'all clear' appointment, but I didn't get an all clear. Damn I was counting on that so much. Didn't know how much until later that day when I had myself a good cry. So, more tests, back on 6 week watch for U/S, more doctor's appointments. Boooooo. 

Anyway, it's getting late & i have to be up early. Sorry I didn't address anyone directly, but please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers every day.

Hugs'n'kisses,

Deb