Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited October 2014

SAB- praying everything is okay. Not taking grand kids - they are scattered all over town. We usually have a lot of trick of treaters and all wear costumes. No costume- no candy. Btw DH and I met at a Halloween party - he was an Indian - I was a sexy witch. Great costumes. A year later we were engaged went back to the same Halloween party - it's an annual thing - and got a standing ovation when we walked in. Pretty cool. 

Josie - good luck on your interviews. I think things are def looking up!

Friend's daughter with BC had MRI - cancer hasn't spread. Thank God. 

Thanks for encouragement about DS. He just doesn't get how worried parents can get when you are late. A text or phone call would help a lot. My nerves are shot. 

Insurance co paid the car off with a few bucks leftover. Whew!

Diane 

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited October 2014

I have the grand kids coming again tonight.  But no trick or treating.

April ..  Watching & waiting, exciting, yet sad. You must be a roller coaster of emotions.  Big hugs.

Edwards,  Glad to hear they wrote off the car, like you said it's not the same after being hit.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited October 2014

Thanks Diane, Im glad your friends daughter had a good MRI. Glad the insurance company paid off. Good deal.

I'm not sure what we are doing on Halloween. My son likes to give out candy. My DD is wanting to still Trick or Treat. She is back to being friends with that girl again. She forgave her and the girl who was doing the cyber bullying . She is more forgiving than me. I still have issues with trusting either one of those two. I found myself going to pick up the same girl at the park at like 9:00 last night.DD  and her friend said she was locked out and needed  a ride. She wasn't even at the park, we went to her Grandmas house nope, found her down the street at another girls house. She said her parents knew. Still I was not happy this little girl was out that late. How do I get involved  with this stuff? Oh well at least she was safe.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited October 2014

SAB - It will be B9....in your pocket for sure.

I forgot to have kids..so no grandkids...my neighbors have some that come looking cute. BT will answer the door this year.

Edwards - That is a cute story. Really cute.

Fog is bad today. Going to the store later and then stay in bed. Fighting some sort of fatigue thing. Probably the moldy leaves getting my allergies.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited October 2014

SAB - sending B9 thoughts&prayers...hurry up 10/23 and answers the good kind! B9!

April - happy baby watch :))) so sorry about your dad :( take good care of yourself...soon you will know the delight your parents felt when they held their first GC :))) so special!

Josie - job news :) 

Diane - yeah, on the car....but ugh on replacement ...hate car shopping.  

Bunkie - when are you leaving MI?  Hope the fatigue goes away fast.

Janis - we lived in the country so long so no trick or treaters..but always a fall festival at the church and a costume dance at the rec center...:))). Good reason not to have all that sugar in the house!

BigD - sending good vibes and thinking of you!

Need to read back and play catch up with y'all!  Last day of infusions is next Monday...than we wait to see if the drugs worked...hubby is tired twice a day infusions is the pits...staff is great :) we are doing the count down like radiation!

Shout outs to all

(((Hugs)))

Cindy 

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Cindy, glad to hear that your DH is doing ok and counting down the days. I hope its helping him. Nice to hear from you.

I got 1 interview next Thursday. Just heard this morning. I haven't got that confirmation e mail from the interview for the surgery center. I hope today or tomorrow. That interview was supposed to be Wed.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited October 2014

Hi, sorry so quiet.  I'm fine, but I've been soooooper busy and away three weekends in a row, which wipes me out all week long.  Got behind reading here but now I've caught up, sort of skimming, think I have the major stuff.  Like SAB, holy cow, scary stuff!  B9 pocket party for you next week.  Those Yosemite pictures a few pages back were breathtaking, thank you.  Josie, such great news about one interview, maybe two!  And your new professional role, just brilliant. My teenagers are keeping me on my toes as well but maybe with less drama than you've got. Bunkie, nice to see you checking in also.  It's great you're moving toward selling the house.  This time next year, maybe you'll live somewhere sunny and not humid!  Is your BT brushing the little dog every day?  If he did that it might keep the shedding fur contained. It should be seasonal but this is one of the seasons.  Hope your fog has lifted and your upcoming test goes smoothly. Cindy, sorry to hear your husband is dealing with so much stuff.  April, you are absolutely in the sandwich generation, sandwich week in fact!  How sad that your father is declining, but the new baby is like a bookend of life.  Diane, how awful about the car accident!  Glad the replacement is moving ahead.  BigD, sending hugs out to you. GiGiL, good hearing from you a while ago, sorry your husband gave you a scare.  New folks on the thread which is great.  Hope rads is going well for all you folks in the midst of it right now.

• bethu77
    bethu77 Member Posts: 263
    edited October 2014

Hello everyone! I am trying to find others who may be going through some of the same things as I am. Does anyone has bumps from radiation? I have very dry skin from radiation and bumps. My second round round with radiation therapy was finished in August. 

Thanks!

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Bethu, never had the bumps but dry skin can be very common. Remember it's kind of like getting a bad sunburn. Check with your Rads nurse or doc. They have some pretty nifty creams and lotions.No need to suffer.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited October 2014

Checking in to say "hi" to all...
    Bunkie I was thinking of you today so was glad to see your post.
    SAB, I hope your testing went well and is uneventful.  Perhaps by now you have the results.  My friend gave me the name of a book on "Adrenal Fatigue" and she noted that the adrenals are in that upper kidney area of the back.  I hope your discomfort is gone.
    April, you truly are experiencing the circle of life, with your father near the end of his life and a new little one on the way.  I am sending hugs and prayers that both situations go well.
    more later...

• rosecal954
    rosecal954 Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2014

Bethu, Hi -- Two weeks after my radiation treatment ended I had tiny, red bumps all over my radiated breast.  It went away in a week or so, dr.said it was tinea, prescribed some cream. Reading other posts here sounds like it could have been folliculitis. I am 10 months post-radiation and have had small red bumps on my arms, legs, and chest area, about 12 in all. They itch for a day or two, they are red and raised, and slowly fade away. I also have two or three red spots (bumps) on my opposite breast that have remained.  I have no idea what they are and do not think they are bug bites.  I don't know if this helps or not.  We seem to all have different experiences and it is great to learn from each other. I wish you good health.

• joan811
    edited October 2014

Rose, I definitely had red bumps (some very itchy) which I treated with steroid cream during the 6 weeks of radiation.  I had some redness after for awhile but within about 2-3 weeks it mostly cleared.  I have dry skin overall. 

I found the radiation treatment period to be exhausting and at times uncomfortable.  But I had no lasting ill effects for which I am grateful.  I hope everyone who is in treatment or just finished is doing well. 

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Well ,I guess there will be 2 interview this week. Wednesday and Thursday. The one job opportunity finally emailed me the details today. I guess I 'll have to find some excuse on Wednsday. I feel a cold coming onWinking

Too bad they have18 bone densities scheduled. Can't feel too sorry for them.

Can't go into detail but you can message me if you want.

I had a little heart spell in the middle of a bone density today. If any really explain what it was doing but it was like fluttering instead of beating right and I almost passed out. I told the patient I was about to pass out and sat down. She was a retired nurse. She asked if I wanted her to get someone.I said no and it passed. But I did call my cardiologist and they want me to come in for a monitor for like 2 weeks. Then I follow up with him.Apparently Tamoxofin can do crazy thing to your rhythm.

Great. This is Thursday before my second interview I get the heart moniter

• joan811
    edited October 2014

Did this thread get really quiet, or am I not seeing the posts?
    Josie, it is frightening to get those flutters and light-headed episodes.  Sometimes I feel like I'm very dizzy at work and have to sit down...sometimes I tell my class I need a break....I think it has a lot to do with hydration.
    I never drink enough during the day.  I wish you good luck on the interviews and hope you will have a clear decision if a job is offered. 
    I hope you are feeling OK.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited October 2014

Josie, when I get those flutterings, I either cough a time or two or press my fingers against my carotid.   Either one is known to restore normal rhythm.  All I can say is that, so far, these techniques have worked for me. Or maybe things just settle down by themselves just as I start with the "treatment."  Whatever.  I feel like I'm doing something, so that helps.  I get the arrythmias when I'm stressed.  Seems like that's what does it for you as well!

Good luck with the interviews. 

Those of you with the post-rads bumpies:  Don't hesitate to call or visit your RO.  These guys expect oodles of post-treatment issues and they have all those awesome salves and creams and so forth.

BigD, and SAB, thinking of you and hoping to hear how it's going.

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Joan, Brookside, thanks for the good luck and suggestions on what to do with that fluttery heart. They think it may be my AV node reentry problem . It acted up after my hysterectomy in 2011 and they had to code me. My HR went up into the 200's and they had to give me this shot to get my HE back down.Good thing I was already in the hospital when it happened. I do sometimes cough or try to bear down when it happens. I guess we will find out what the heart monitor shows. I'm glad they are doing it.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited October 2014

Joan it has been quiet lately.  Greetings to you my friend.

I hope to hear an update from SAB soon.  I always worry about my friends here.

I have never had issue with bumps from rads, so I am not much help.  Definitely discuss it with your RO.  They should have some good suggestions.

Josie, we have fingers and toes and paws crossed here for a really good interview.

I am so sad.  My sister just came home from NM to go visit our dad.  He is 83 and apparently failing rapidly.  He has end stage dementia and is also physically challenged.  He cannot stand up straight and he falls frequently.  He does live with his........girlfriend/now caregiver.  Lola and he were a couple for some time and she moved in with him about 6 years ago shortly after they met.  She is an enigma to me.  They were a couple for a few years but when he began to fail she suddenly told my sister and I that she is now his caregiver.  She even quoted the fees that live in caregivers charge.  It has been confusing to say the least.  My sister did say he is doing very poorly.  She suggested to Lola that she contact his doctor to find out how to get Social Services to do a home visit.  They can help Lola with suggestions how to make the house safer for him.  We'll see what happens.  Lola got his Power of Attorney a year or so ago and she is in charge of all the finances.  Since he is leaving much of his assets to her, I hope she is not worried about spending the money.  I am so sad for him.  His mind is shot she said.  He didn't know my sister most of the time she was there.  When I talk to him he seems okay but she said he rarely remembers me either.  Dementia is so sad and robs the person of their dignity.  I am so worried about him and feel helpless being so far away.  :(

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Janis, I'm sorry that your father is doing so poorly. That has to leave you feeling helpless and sad that he lives so far away.I remember you mentioning your father's caregiver before. She sounds like she's in it for the money. How sad. I will keep him in my prayers. At least your sister was able to get a good idea of his actual condition and report back to you.

• edwards750
    edited October 2014

Janis - so sorry about your Dad. It is gut wrenching to see our parents that way. My dad died in the hospital unaware of who we were and combative and reduced to having help with everything. No dignity left. It made me sick. I cried constantly for him. He did live here so I know how hard it is for you not being close. Agree with Josie at least your sister saw him. 

The caregiver does sound mercenary but is she taking good care of him? Is she contacting his doctors? I would get a nurse to do a home visit too. We hired an agency to help with my mother. We were also blessed to have a sibling as both of their caregivers. He didn't choose that job circumstances did but we were grateful just the same. 

I know your heart is breaking. My MIL has Alzheimers. It is such a cruel disease. My mother had dementia at the end. You know it's got to be hard on our once independent and strong parents to be reduced to this state. 

How did your father's caregiver get POA over family members? Just wondering because my brother was my Mom's after my dad died. 

I know you want your dad to be as comfortable as possible and as pain-free as possible. Keep the faith - it's being tested and keep the prayers going.  We will too. 

Btw my friend whose daughter was just DX with BC has been staged at Stage III. Her mom is devastated. She is having chemo but young and healthy which will help. Still we all know way too close to the feared Stage IV. She has lymph node involvement not sure how many. Survival rates for latter stages are encouraging. Her daughter is a lawyer too and lives in Charleston. Sent her a card yesterday. Started to send her something like an angel but then thought otherwise. She is Catholic like me. Just no pink stuff although I like the mug that says "fight like a girl." I have one. 

Diane 

• edwards750
    edited October 2014

Josie - just saw your post about the fluttering. Don't have that but I'm glad you are checking it out. Can anxiety cause that? I had acid reflux once years ago and thought it was a heart attack. Went to ER - mega bucks but hey if you don't know? Did the stress test. Have you ever had one? Just wondering. I take 80 mg of aspirin every day and drink grape juice too which I love. A friend who had heart issues was told to drink grape juice everyday. 

Pulling for you in the interviews. 

Second week of driving rental car. Frustrating dealing with incompetent insurance company. Fed up so will be their worst nightmare today. 

I had zero issues with radiation thankfully. 

Hi to the rest of my buddies! 

Just heard OP got 5 years for shooting his GFF through the bathroom door and may only serve 10 months? How grossly unfair to the family. 

Diane 

• justmejanis
    edited October 2014

Josie thank you for your sweet comments.  Being far away is so hard.  I am thinking Lola is probably taking good care of him and that does give me some comfort.  Thank you for keeping him in your thoughts and prayers. 

Diane thank you as well.  I got an e-mail this morning from Lola, she said he fell in the bedroom last night and she could not get him up.  He is 6'4" and she is barely 5' tall.  She called 911 and they were able to come and get him into bed and determine he was not hurt.  She said they sat down with her and gave her some good advice.  They suggested a lower mattress on his bed, rails in the bedroom and bathroom.  Also he is retaining fluids, apparently his ankles were swollen so they suggested she call his doctor today.  She is doing all these things and that makes me feel much better.  As far as her getting POA that is how my dad is.  He was married three times, the last one was a horrible drug addict.  That marriage lasted less than a year.  When he realized what a mistake it was he had to pay her 50K for the divorce.  That was her offer and he accepted, he said just to get her out of his life.  He had already told me when they married that he was leaving her his house and all the contents as well as his car.  His decision, this was before he got dementia.  After the divorce he changed his will again, putting my sister and I back in it.  Then Lola came along and once again the will changed.  Now she gets the house and contents as well as the car and 20% of his investments.  She has lived with him for six years now.  My sister and I have never interfered with his financial decisions.  For him family does not come first.  I think also giving her POA made more sense because neither my sister or I live near him.  I am so worried about him and glad my sister got to visit.  She did confirm how bad he really is.  I think Lola has a tough job taking care of him.  He would surely be in a nursing home without her.  Honestly I don't know how much longer he can live in his home.  He is so crippled.  I hope the new rails and things will help.  She will let me know tonight what the doctor says.

I am so sorry your friends' daughter didn't get a better diagnosis.  Stage III is still better than IV so I hope that the treatment will kick some cancer butt!

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Diane, yes I've heard anxiety can cause the fluttering.But I don't know. The nurse said it didn't sound like the PVC . She thought it was just beating so rapidly it felt like a flutter. Who knows. I guess we will know as soon as the monitor is read.

I'm so sorry to hear that your friends daughter is stage 3 . That is so scarey.

I will definitely keep her in my prayers.

• edwards750
    edited October 2014

Janis - having her there I'm sure gives you some piece of mind. We had rails installed for our parents too. My dad was only 5'9" but when he couldn't get out of the tub and my mom couldn't get him out either- she was small - my sister had to help. He was so humiliated. They covered him but still. 

Does Lola have the medical power too as in to resuscitate or not? The way I understand it they are 2 different things or a living will? What a travesty paying someone to get out of your life. 

You guys are right Stage 3 is better than 4. Holding on to that. Thanks for your concern. 

Trying to stall to keep from doing house cleaning. Ugh. 

Diane 

• 70charger
    edited October 2014

Wow , nothing & then a flurry of activity!

Josie,  Wishing you the best at those interviews, you got this!

Justme,  Sorry you are having to deal with all of that.  Big Hugs

Big D & SAB  thinking of you both  (((  )))

Shouts out to all, will check in l8tr, gotta go

• justmejanis
    edited October 2014

Diane I am sure my dad has a DNR in place but I will ask her to verify.  My mom was a nurse and she always said if she ever got a tattoo it would be a giant "DNR" stamped across her chest!  My dad feels the same way, and the no services request and cremation are also his wishes.  So I am good with his final plans.  He also wants his ashes scattered on RR tracks and that will be done as well. 

I talked to him just an hour ago and he sounds okay when I talk to him.  I am not sure if he even knows who he is talking to.  My sister said he remembered me sometimes but mostly he had to be reminded who I am.  It is hard to hear but I also know it is part of the disease.

Josie I do hope wearing the cardiac monitor will help.  Let us know what your doctor says.

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Janis, I'm glad you know your father's wishes since his dementia will prevent him from expressing that when it comes time.

• justmejanis
    edited October 2014

I know Josie, thank you for the cheerleading.  I need it now.  I feel so strange, so sad and so unsettled.  I hate what this disease does to people.

70charger thanks......hugs back to you! 

• 70charger
    edited October 2014

For a good laugh or giggle watch this

http://safeshare.tv/w/NOZOjdApvG

• justmejanis
    edited October 2014

70charger That is so funny!  Love it, and how creative people have to get.  Anything that fixes a problem without harming any animal is fine with me.  Squirrel will have to pack up and move to a different neighborhood with better access to the goodies. Happy  Thanks for the laugh!

• 70charger
    edited October 2014

Glad you enjoyed it !  It was time for a giggle on here.Happy