Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited October 2014

OH NO RED!  Big Hugs. We're here for you.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited October 2014

Josie I am so glad the interview went well.  It was really great you did your homework and was prepared for some of the questions.  Confidence shines, and I am keeping fingers crossed for you that a job comes out of this.  Way to go!

70'sCharger, passion or obsession, it sounds like a fun one and sure keeps you busy.  Not a thing wrong with that.  :)

RedHeaded it sounds like the nodules are not new, but I do understand you trying to find a cause for those ear problems. 

Brookside apparently the thyroid nodules are more common than I realized.  We are members of the same club.  I haven't had any problems since he gland was removed.  No thyroid issues or meds.  I was told when you have one gland removed the other one compensates.  All of my thyroid levels are normal, so another missing body part I apparently didn't really need!

RedReading, what happened with your appointment?  I am so sorry you didn't get the all clear you were looking for.  Please feel free to talk here, we are all here with hugs and support.  Now of course we will worry.  Big hugs headed your way.

Hubby survived his colonoscopy prep last night so we are off to the VA in Boise today for the test.  Hopefully he will get good results.  If he feels well after we may treat ourselves to breakfast out.  They opened a new Cracker Barrel here in June and we have never been there.  I think that would be fun!

Have a wonderful Friday everyone.  :)

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited October 2014

Hi Y'all

Josie - yeah, fingers&toes crossed for the new job!  Keep that interview bullet list current and practice...it's helps build confidence and reinforce how valuable you are.  Any questions you feel we're bumpy polish your answers so you have a well thought out response...build you up!  You are an assessor to any team!

Janis - ah, Cracker Barrel..lill have 2 sides of green beans please!  Glad DH is done with the scope!

BigD - thinking of you :)))

April - in my prayers!

GiGil - good to hear from you....busy busy yeah FL is on the near horizon :)

SAB - whoa, did you climb that high!  Go girl!  I've always tried to position myself on the plane so I can look out in wonder at Yosemite...break taking :)))

Rental car :), parking lot traffic :((( sick hubby's :(((

I'm so excited!  I backed out of a church women's beach retreat use to hubby, but finally got approval for him to do infusions twice a day at a hospital just 15 mins away! Last night I found out my space was still open...busy trying to get hubby puppy and me ready...fri to mon...I. So ready for normal fun horseback riding, playing in the surf and celebrating life...thank you!

Shout out to all

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited October 2014

Deb, I'm sorry to hear that about more tests let us know. We are hear for you.

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Ok. I heard back from the telephone interview today. I called them back this evening. He wants me to come in for an actual interview. He will send me info and email me the date sometime next week. Looks like Wednesday Oct 22. I guess I'll be calling in sick that day.

Cindy Thanks for the good advice. Glad your gonna get away for a few days.Good for you.

BTW how was the get together in Connecticut. Or is that this weekend?

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited October 2014

Great news, Josie! You'll ace that interview!

I wish your news were better, Red.  With you through whatever it is, and thinking of you.

Alas, no northeast meetup this weekend.  Rescheduling coming right up.  Joan suggests October 17 -18, November 2,  and November 15-16.

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Thanks Brookside, I hope so.

I just got back from taking DD to her friends for the night. If only she lived closer. I hate driving in the rain and at night. I had a small panic if attack on the way home. I can't believe it. I haven't had one in a while. But it's always while I'm driving. My legs were shaking so bad when I got out of the car.Not sure why I'm sharing this but I am.Well I'm home safe now so I'm good.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited October 2014

Hi ladies,

Just stopping in. I am still reading page 386 so there is no way I can catch up in comments but I am stopping in to say hi. It has been cold here so my bones all ache and the mold from the leaves has me breathless BUT I am fine. Just bought 20 bags of candy to get ready for the holidays. My BT is still here and plans to stay the winter....he thinks. I am sure about January he will be begging to go back to LA but it is nice he is here. I still have to get that brain MRI done. My veins are so small now they will have to bring in the vein team to get it done. I pushed it back because I wa too scared....but I am going in a week. Just realized I need to book the mammo because it has been 13 months. Jeeze. Looked at my after insurance Dr bills and meds cost this year and I am topping 4,000. Really adds up it seems.

The dog....hair everywhere. I vacuum everyday. At least it is black and I can see it. My allergies are not amused at all. I got some of those roller, fur removal things. OMG the hair. Did not know little short hair dogs shed that much. I do not remember our poodles and terriers doing that. She is cute and runs my house now. Funny how fast that can happen. NerdyShe has 3 dog beds now and a new sweater with a hoodie and pockets. Workin on posting a photo. Hope she can adjust to winter. Any ideas?

The house is coming along. A real estate guy is coming to give me his opinion. Last winter here I pray. Looking at storage units to put stuff in the basement away so it can get cleaned and painted. Trying to get the old, old bathroom repaired to work and will retile it all. That way I can list as a 2.5 bath house instead of 1.5.

Ok time to go read and see what you are all up to. Might come back with some comments later.

• 70charger
    edited October 2014

Bunkie!  So good to hear from you.  Glad that bt is still keeping you company.  Get that house sold!  Move someplace nice & warm.  Good luck with mri.  Be sure to let us know the outcome.  We're here for you.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL THE CANUKS ON HERE!  Turkey going in oven soon.  Yum

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited October 2014

Deb so sorry you didn't get the all clear. Keep us posted. 

Bunkie - so good to hear from you. Hope you sell the house soon. One less worry for you. Can relate to dog hair problem. Ours seem to she'd year 'round and they are short haired dogs. We bought this upright dust buster that does help.  Btw they do fine in the winter but I do live in the South so winters aren't too bad. 

Josie - good luck on your interview. You will ace it! On another note when is the violence and marches going to stop - when they hang the policeman? Just saying. I get shaky driving in hard rains too. 

70charger - have you ever tried fried turkey? OMG it is awesome. Lots of prep but worth it. 

Janis - def do breakfast after. We made a beeline for Starbucks. 

Brookside - sorry you guys couldn't hook up. Maybe next time. 

Cindy - girl you are so busy - wish I had your energy. 

Friend's daughter with BC had a breast MRI Friday to see if the cancer has spread. Don't know results yet. 

DS is having a hard time with a couple of issues. One is easily fixable - the other not so much. Could use extra prayers for him too. 

DH has been driving the rental - nice big SUV. Should hear from insurance co Monday about our claim - totaled or not. Better be totaled. Cars never drive the same after a wreck. DH says he is sure it is so next is what value they will put on the car. We have gap insurance so it will be paid off regardless. We have narrowed our car picks to Honda Fit(what we had only 2015), Hyundai Elantra GL - small SUV or Toyota Rav 4. Honda is the least expensive with best gas mileage but Elantra is close. We will see who offers the best deal. Hate car shopping. 

Sorry if I missed anyone. Have a good week everyone. 

Diane 

• justmejanis
    edited October 2014

Hi ladies.  I wanted to let you all know that DH's colonoscopy went well.  Thanks to everyone who sent happy thoughts!  They removed two small polyps but the doctor said they looked harmless.  Biopsy should confirm that, we will know for sure in a couple weeks.  We aren't worried at all.  After we left recovery we went to the little cafeteria.  He wanted coffee so bad, and also was hungry.  He was still pretty loopy and in a wheelchair but wanted breakfast.  He got a little bacon, a biscuit with gravy and a scoop of scrambled eggs.  He loves his eggs.  I don't eat eggs and after what happened probably never would after what happened.  You can probably guess.  It is a little over 30 miles to get home from the VA in Boise.  He was fine until about a mile from home.  Tossed it all.  I won't get into graphic details but suffice it is to say it was NASTY.  Poor guy, I felt terrible for him because he felt so bad about it.  I got him in the house, got his very gross clothes off, washed his face off and sent him to bed.  He crashed which is what he needed.  I cleaned all his clothes off before I washed them (scrambled egg on everything).  He nailed my purse, which is denim so easy to wash.  He had on jeans, a colored T-shirt and a jean jacket and nothing escaped the projectile vomiting.  We keep a sheet in the backseat of the car for the dog hair.  It was a fresh washed sheet and clean, he got sick while I was on a busy four lane road so I could not pull over.  I pulled the sheet up front to try to help catch some of it.  That had to be cleaned too before I washed it.  I got the car cleaned which was a real challenge because the seat and dash and floor all got nailed.  Lots of work but everything got cleaned, laundry all done. 

Oh and I have to share something that was so oddly beautiful.  When he was eating he was having trouble with his aim, and got gravy on his face.  I just got up and cleaned it off, and helped him cut the biscuit up.  He seemed so pitiful for some reason even though I knew it was temporary.  I would wipe his face, he would apologize and I kissed the top of his head softly and told him it was not a problem.  There was an older, very dignified looking Hispanic couple sitting at the next table.  I got up to get more napkins as they were preparing to leave.  The woman approached me and asked if she could give me a hug.  Of course!  I had no idea why but she embraced me so lovingly and kissed my cheek several times.  Then she whispered 'I know what you are going through.  My husband has Dementia".  I didn't even try to explain that Chuck was merely well drugged.  She was so darn sweet and it moved me almost to tears.  Then her husband asked for a hug, he also kissed my cheek and assured me he was harmless!  Wow, it was really so touching.  What wonderful people they were.

Bunkie I was so happy to see you post.  I am really glad that your friend is sticking around.  You must love not only the company, but the help as well.  I wish I could advise you on the dog.  One thing you might try, or have him try, is to wipe the dog down a few times a day with a damp paper towel.  I do this with my cats to help reduce shedding as DH is allergic.  We have three!  Mine are large dogs with thick coats so winter is not a problem for them.  Actually they rarely stay outside for more than a few minutes at a time anyway.  They pretty much are indoor dogs.  I don't know what kind of dog he has......but a lot of people with small dogs keep a sweater on them in winter.  Sometimes just to go out for walks.  If she stays inside most of the time she should be okay.  I never leave mine out in the cold or the heat.  Mine only go out if they stand at the door wanting out, then usually they come back in after they potty!  

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian sistas!

Love and hugs my friends. 

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited October 2014

Hello ladies,

Not a lot of time and am on my phone so can't type much but wanted to say I am sorry I had to miss our meet up today. Did you go? If not, maybe soon? I did not have a chance to back read but am glad to see Bunkie!

Well, at nursing home with dad (they sent him Friday) and they say he may or may not make it home again. He definitely is going down hill and they said less than 6 months so hospice will be his option if he comes home.

He just finished eating and is snoozing away. He looks peaceful right now.

Baby watch is officially ON! She had some contractions this morning! So excited!

Hugs to all...talk soon!

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Fran, happy thanksgiving to you. I guess I didn't realize that you had yours early.

BUNKIE, glad to hear your BT is still around and you have some company. Let us know when they will be doing the brain MRI . We will be in your pocket.Also, Janis is right about the allergies and wiping the dog after they come in from outside. It does help I hear. 

Diane, thanks for the good luck on the interview. Also, the protests aren't as bad as they were. But I don't understand it either. I will pray for your son too.

Janis, glad the colonoscopy is over for your DH. Yuck what a mess. I'm not an egg fan to begin with but the story doesn't help with that unlike for eggs.

April, so sorry your dad is doing poorely.But I am excited for you that you will be a grandma soon.

Busy weekend and not so much fun. Seems like it went too fast. Rainy weather.

Had to puppy sit for DD last night. My DD wanted me to take her downtown to the low cost vet clinic with the pups yesterday morning. It wasn't too bad but just a pain because not a great neighborhood . We just waited in the car till they called our number. Her puppies just barked too much at every dog. She's having they spayed and netuered on Friday.

Then the kids talked me into taking them to the movies this afternoon. And DD had a sleepover with the same girl that she went to on Friday night only at our house this time. So guess what I drove all weekend. I need to stop whining .I know.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited October 2014

April - sorry about your dad. Hope he is not on pain. Being a grandparent is so exciting; keep us posted!

Janis - bless your heart you are the best wife - poor DH I know how hungry you are after that gross ritual beforehand. How sweet of that couple. Our dogs are inside dogs too. The doggie door comes in handy. 

Josie - we had to take our pups to the vet 2. 21/2 hours later. Ugh. Cheapest vet in town and really nice people but OMG they are so slow. Still saved a lot. DS stayed in the car with 2 of them. I stayed inside. Actually puppy was pretty good considering. Puppies go back in 3 weeks for final shots. DS spent over $500 on these dogs lately but then done for awhile at least for shots and pills. It would be 2x that much if we had taken them to a vet in Collierville. 

I'm relieved for you the demonstrations, etc aren't that bad. Hopefully the situation gets settled once and for all. 

Thanks for encouragement about DS. He is a def source of worry and anxiety right now. Doesn't help that it's on him and Mommy can't fix it anymore. Not used to that at all but he has to grow up. 

Lots of celebrating in our part of the country with Miss State No. 1 in the polls and Ole Miss not far behind. The Magnolia State is rarely No. 1 in anything to be proud of so they are pretty pumped. 

Diane 

• BUNKIE10
    edited October 2014

Janis - Oh I feel for you with that happening. Been there done that. I  always keep a couple towels in my car. One year my cousin had the flu and we were stuck on LA freeways during rush hour. Came in handy. They say to eat light after that test. Ugh. Cracker Barrel??? Meat loaf dinner please. They make fantastic pancakes too.

April - So sorry about your dad. My mom never came home again either but she was in there 2 years. She was so funny. I would go visit her before she had a stroke and she would say "Look at all those old  people sitting around this place. Glad I am not that old." She was the same age.

70charger - Happy Thanksgiving. What did you eat?  Just curious since you live north. I used to subscribe to Canadian Living mag but it got too expensive. Loved the cooking section.

Josie - At least the protests are peaceful from what I can see. That is good.  I read some stuff about a job for you....did you get it?

Edwards - Thanks for the info on the dogs. She has some clothes coming from Ca his mom is sending. I am looking for a down coat for her just because. Haha. She will not be going out much this winter. She is a rat terrier/chawawa. I can never spell that.

Brookside - Almost fell down the steps today.... I lost my balance. This vertigo is the pits. Stopped the PT for now. Minds well wait for the brain MRI to be sure.

Cindy, SAB - Just sayin hello.

Gigil - We are down the basement trying to figure out the leaking on one wall. The whole basement is icky but can be cleaned up for sale. Just a lot of work. My parents left me a darned mess. Good luck selling yours.

Warmer today and we are getting a super storm tomorrow. Oh joy.  

• 70charger
    edited October 2014

Bunkie, We had turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn,peas, carrots, cranberry jelly, pickles, olives, sparkling apple juice , pumpkin or cherry pie with whipped cream. Yes everyone was full.  My stuffing is made with toasted bread cubes, celery, mushrooms, onion, sage & sausage meat.

• BUNKIE10
    edited October 2014

70charger - That sounds really good!!! We usually have Turkey, Cornbread Stuffing, Gravy, Collard Greens, Corn Pudding, Green Beans, Candied Yams, Mac and cheese, Rolls, Sweet Potatoe Pie and Pound Cake with ice creme. I might try to add some sausage to my stuffing this year. You got  me thinkin....

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited October 2014

Hello back to you Bunkie! I'm hovering out here. Worked all weekend training a new group of student workers. I love the kids but I'm pooped. 

Tests tomorrow morning for persistent pain in my kidney area and an ultrasound to check on ovarian cyst. 40 ounces of water and no bathroom til test is done. Yikes! Think of me, I can use some positive healing thoughts. 

• SAB
    edited October 2014

oh you guys are getting me hungry! Yum!

• justmejanis
    edited October 2014

Diane thanks for your sweet comment.  I try!  He was so wonderful though my whole BC experience.  I was happy to be the one lending a helping hand for a change.  I hope things get easier for DS.......parenting is so hard sometimes.

I would love to have a doggie door but unfortunately we have cats that we don't want outside.  We let them out back when we are home and daytime only.  They love being in the yard with us when we are out back.  We don't let them out front but have a sneaky one who does go exploring once in awhile.  Mine are pretty sheltered so they never go far.  They are most comfortable out back.

April I am sorry the news is not better about your dad.  I am sure the great joy of becoming a Grandma is slightly eclipsed by his declining health.  Still, you have such a joyous event ahead and a lifetime to spoil this beautiful child.  You will love it.  Hugs to you.

70charger and Bunkie, both of those Thanksgiving meals sound wonderful.  They sound very similar to what I would cook, although Bunkie you definitely add a southern twist with all those goodies.  Betting you make good mac and cheese, which I have never had at Thanksgiving but love, love, love it!  Since I only cook for DH and I, ours is much simpler.  Turkey and gravy, mashed potatoes, (no stuffing as DH doesn't eat it and it isn't my favorite) one veggie and maybe rolls.  If I cook for company I do a lot more cooking and serve a lot more including stuffing.  We just don't eat that much and we could never eat all the leftovers.  So I keep it pretty simple.  I do make pumpkin pie though.  With a cream cheese base.  Delish!

SAB I am sending you tons of healing energy and hugs too.  I hope your test goes well and nothing scary is found.  I had that test and remember well the water I had to drink and then hold.  They get better images of the other organs if the bladder is full.  It was uncomfortable but not too bad.  Love and hugs!

Josie you sure had a busy weekend and not much down time.  Bless your DD for being such a responsible pet owner.  Kudos to her on the shots and the spay/neuter.  Good for her!  I wish more people would follow her example.  Too funny you are not an egg fan either.  I won't eat them at all.  I hope you have a more restful week.  Keep us posted on the phone interview, hoping for good news!

• CidneyI
    CidneyI Member Posts: 32
    edited October 2014

kate - I meet with my oncologist for the first time next week to determine If I need chemo or not. My breast care surgeon did tell me she thinks I am  low risk for reoccurance. I do not know what percentage a low risk rating is but I am wondering if I am at 1 or 2 percent, does that mean chemo might be recommended or left up to me to decide?

• josie123
    edited October 2014

Diane, we didn't have to wait near as long as you at the vet. We we were in and out in less than 1 hr. We have 1 indoor/outdoor cat the other 2 get out occasionally by accident and are crying to get in soon after since its such a big scary world out there!!

Bunkie,  you and Fran are making me hungry with all this thanksgiving food talk. Sounds like your doing well. Good luck on the basement. I need to get down there too but kind of chicken to start such a big project by myself. I got a telephone interview the other day for a MA postion in out patient surgery at a local hospital. They will interview me next week. Im waiting for a e mail from them confirming date and time and directions.  It will be on a Wednsday so I will have to call in that day. I think he said around 11 am. I feel a tad guilty but probably shouldn't. Then this morning the temp agency I have been working with told me about a opportunity at this Medical group in the OBGYN dept. Two days a week in the telephone triage and 3 days in back office .The only regret I have with the surgery center is I think I  should have advocated for a better salary. They asked how much I make an hour and will only match that. I wanted a little more than what Im making now. Maybe I can still negotiate this at the interview.

SAB, hope your ultrasound was ok. I can hear you sloshing away!! I have been there done that. Easy once you get over the fact that your full of water. Its over before you know it.

Janis, yes I don't eat eggs at all either. They strangely make me tired. Could I be allergic? Maybe. That would be cool because then I could get out of my flu shot if the local hospital hires me. If you can prove a egg allergy you don't have to get a flu shot or else its mandatory. I know I cant eat raw cookie dough. It makes me itchy. Weird huh?

Well I guess I should get busy. Days off not really off. Always something to do.Scared

• 70charger
    edited October 2014

Hi all.  Been very busy.  Grand kids came Thurs, left yesterday, back this Thurs til Sun.  GD & I made 2 batches of cookies on Fri.  Then we made 5 pies on Sat. Then of course the feast on Sunday.  Today I'm making the soup/stew with the leftovers & bones.  Can't let any of this go to waste. The frozen veggies from the garden sure made the meal.

Also been looking through parts books to find parts for our restoration. Not an easy task let me tell you.

Shouts out to all.  Hope all the DH's are doing better.  Fingers crossed for all undergoing tests.

Big D,  Big hugs, thinking of you.

Josie, things are looking up, Good Luck you got this.

• SAB
    edited October 2014

Abdominal ct coming up on 10/23. Small mass on pancreas. That can be a bad one so please manifest a benign spot for me.

• 70charger
    edited October 2014

Sab  Oh no, so sorry to hear this, B9  B9 B9.  Hugs (()).  In your pocket on the 23rd.

• josie123
    edited October 2014

SAB, I'm  thinking about you. B9...B9.....B9

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited October 2014

Sab, will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a benign outcome. Hugs...

I am on baby watch still and visiting dad in hospital (he is doing ok considering( and so just a quick drive by post. Thinking of you all...HUGS!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited October 2014

Darned alarming, SAB.  Waiting and manifesting, visualizing and anticipating, praying and mantra-ing, B9, B9, B9. 

• SAB
    edited October 2014

Thank you. Let's think HAPPY thoughts. Who is taking a grandkid out for Halloween? Anyone going to a costume party? I 

• justmejanis
    edited October 2014

SAB sending you tons of happy thoughts.  I am chanting B9 over and over.  It has to be B9.

No plans for us for Halloween, we are boring!  LOL.  Anyone?  I still love handing out candy to the little ones.  They are so darn cute!