Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164
    edited November 2014

Bunkie - I hope you feel better - not a fun time when they have issues with the veins.

Josie - I agree with Joan - YOU are trying out the job too; don't let it be all about them - it's time for you to be happy at what you are doing for work.

Charger - I can't stop laughing at the underwire bra - so funny!!!!!!

Good to read everyone's post and catch up!

Donna

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited November 2014

Yes, Sew and Lemon...I hope all is well.

I think the thing that bothers me most about treatment options is that many people made me feel like I had to choose one or the other.  I think the key is an integrative approach.

Charger, I'm curious.  Do you restore cars for fun or biz?  Just one type?  It seems like it would be a blast.

Time change always messes me up.  Only 7pm and I'm tired.  I think it's the dark.

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited November 2014

SAB, Have for fun, Mopar only (Dodge Plymouth,Chrysler) We have owned others but Mopar does it for us. Cruising in a Mopar to the car shows is SO much fun, windows down, crank up the tunes.  It is also rewarding when you promote the next generation.  This year we had the 70 charger at a show.  These 2 young boys came up.  They were around 14-15 yrs old.  The one said this was his dream car.  When they went to take a pic of the car I told them NO! Then I explained they were doing it wrong.  I said "For a pic of this car you HAVE to be in the driver seat. OH my he started shaking. I got him in the drives seat & told him to assume the pose.  His head was hanging down. his eyes were all teared up. I told him he had to hang onto the wheel & hang his arm out the window. Then his friend took pics.  He told us after the shock wore off that he had NEVER EVER sat in a charger before. He felt like it was a dream & couldn't believe we had let him in our car. He Will ALWAYS remember that day. And Charger will always be his favorite.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited November 2014

As muscle cars go, not much better than a Dodge Charger for sure! That was a sweet story about that kid too. I could just see him sitting there and feeling like he died and went to muscle car heaven! My dad had a pink black and white 55 Dodge when I was a little girl. I always wished he would paint it cause kids would tease me and say men don't drive pink cars but that was my Dad's favorite car of all time! Wish I had that car now..lol

BigD/Joan, so happy that you checked in and praying that this procedure goes better than the last one. Hugs and prayers for you.

Not much time as have to get ready for work but wanted to stop by and say hello to everyone. My new grandbaby is so precious. Having a hard time posting photos on here for some reason but will figure it out soon and post more pics of little Aubrey Emma. She is ADORABLE and being a grandmother is the best thing EVER!

Take care and BBL! xoxo

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited November 2014

Thanks for all the comments on my cake balls.  I gave so many away but still have a few left.  I wish I could stop eating them!

BigD Joan I am so sorry for all of your struggles.  What a nightmare, and I too can't believe your boss can kick you to the curb.  What a sad mess.  Hang on Sweetie, you have so many friends here who care so deeply.  I will call you soon.  HUGS!

Gigil you sure have a lot going on.  It sounds like you will have a very busy fall and winter ahead.  I am glad it all worked out so you can keep the two places which are convenient for both your DH and you DD.  Have fun!

I want to do shout outs to all but it would take all morning!  That is what happens when I get behind here.  I am thrilled to see everyone posting.  You all have such busy lives!  I hope you all know I read all the posts and keep you all close to my heart.  Always.

We have had some unsettling things going on in our neighborhood.  There is a vacant house on our street, about four houses down.  It has been vacant for years. Apparently we had squatters move into the garage.  Our friends across the street saw them coming and going very late at night.  They called the police.  By the time the cops got here they had left, but they (thinking it is 2 people) left behind a loaded shotgun which the police confiscated.  Neighbors were told to contact the police if they came back.  Yesterday we came home from errands and there were three cop cars in front of the house.  They had one guy leaning on the front of the one cop car, not handcuffed.  Apparently they were questioning him when he decided to bolt.  DH was out front with another neighbor watching this unfold.  The guy didn't get far and he was handcuffed and taken away.  We are not sure if they had gotten into the house or were staying in the garage.  There was a car in the garage and it was being searched.  Hopefully this guy is gone for good. I sure can't imagine him coming back!

Take good care my friends.  Today I am making applesauce with orchard apples they sell dirt cheap.  My neighbor gave us a huge box and we made juice yesterday.  Lots of mess but oh so good!

Love and hugs to all. 

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited November 2014

Good gracious, Janis.  Another Halloween creep hopefully removed from your neighborhood.  And gone for good! 

Love the muscle car photo story.  Happy, happy kid!  Now wejust need a calendar-ready shot of you and the car!

I guess this is your day at the new job, Josie.  Here's hoping temp to perm works out, and, hard as it might be,  that both you and they take lots of time to make sure this is a good fit.  They do offer good benefits?

BigD/Joan, I can barely stop thinking of my days in a fifth floor NYC walkup.  I was in my 20's and still made sure I only went out once/day!  I'm guessing your cousin is (at least) beginning to think about other options.  I really hope she'll come stay with you, even if only for a few weeks.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited November 2014

Fran, that was such a neat story about the teenager and the dodge charger. How sweet. You made his day.

Janis, how scarey. I'm glad they caught those creeps. You've got good neighbors. Be thankful.

Busy,busy ,busy now your up to your elbows in Apple's. Good for you. Applesauce sounds yummy.

Brookside, yes New job is going well. But Its been rough coming home and trying to fix meals. In fact I forgot to eat breakfast this morning. I got so wrapped up in trying to get DD to go to school because she thought she was too sick. Well she won that battle. I haven't eaten dinner yet because I had to find my sink first. Appear s no one else can load or unload dishwasher. Things are going to have to change if I get this job. Maybe DD will step up to chores if I can actually afford to pay her.

Going to put my dinner in oven and go get girls from GS meeting. I know I shouldn't of let her go.

I do have good benefits at this new job. And there's no time limit before you can use PTO. I was in back office again today, rooming patients doing BP and vitals like weight and of course ordering paps and mammogram s. I'm tired .The only thing I'm rusty on is blood pressure. But this won't be every day. Got to go. Maybe I'll pop in after dinner and shower.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited November 2014

Josie, maybe the stress of a new environment is part of why you are tired.  If it's a good fit I'm sure you'll get used to it and have more energy!  Are the people nice?  

Fran, I love that story!  You are so kind.

Janis, that's a bad kind of excitement for sure.  Glad everyone is safe, and I'm sure they won't come back to where they've already been spotted!

April, you sound so happy!  I'll look forward to seeing a photo of Aubrey.

Bunkie, did I miss your test results?  Waiting is the hard part.

More hugs to BigD/Joan.  Thinking of you.

Hello GigiL, Brookside, Joan, Lemon. Dogs.  Sew, I hope you're out dancing every night and too busy to post.

If I forgot anyone it's only for the moment!

• josie123
    edited November 2014

Well I heard from the temp agency today. And this new job is offering me the position. I accepted willingly. I can't believe how good it is to hear people say good things about my job performance. They are impressed. I told them that I would

Give my notice ASAP. My manager is on vacation this week. But I will type up my letter of resignation and be ready to hand it to them. I'm really excited.!!!

• brooksidevt
    edited November 2014

Congratulations, Josie!  So, so sooooo happy, and full of good wishes.  I'm thinking your two-week notice will just about get you to Thanksgiving, which sure seems appropriate.  Happy dance time!

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited November 2014

Josie - Congrats!  Happy Dancing :D yippee...about time!  SMILE you so deserve to be appreciated...can't wait for you to give your notice with a sweet grin! Karma!

• josie123
    edited November 2014

Thanks, Brookside and Cindy. 

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited November 2014

Yes, Josie----A new job in time for Thanksgiving!!!!  An answer to many prayersSmile

• josie123
    edited November 2014

Thanks, redheaded

It is such a small world. The lady at the front desk that also does coding grew up with my husband and also worked with my friend .The lady that is the office manager went to church with me a long time ago. She's nice but can get kind of creepy because she doesn't smile a lot. But maybe she's just observing.This is the Office manager for the entire medical group . She just kind of makes her rounds through each medical office. But I'm not worried about it. She's nice enough. They let us keep our lunches in the storage area and we have a small lunch table and microwave. There is a large meeting room upstairs with a kitchen but most of our office don't use the kitchen. It's there if needed but shared by all offices.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited November 2014

Congrats Josie - so happy for you and so well deserved! 

Diane 

• josie123
    edited November 2014

Thanks Diane. Last night I wrote all my letters to the doctors and my office manager resigning my current position. It was short and to the point to my office manager and manager. The letters to the doctors were much more personal thanking them and letting them know how much respect I have for them etc.etc. All of them were straight from my heart and not made up at all. I think they will appreciate that.

• april485
    edited November 2014

Josie CONGRATS TO YOU!!! So happy you are finally out of that hell hole. Speaking of Doctors....

Grr...so aggravated with my MO's office. Have had an appt set up for today for months. Last nite, I get home from work and a message on the answering machine saying " We have to reschedule your appt tomorrow cause Janeesha (the APRN) only sees Dr. What'shisname's patients on Thursday, not your doctor's patients. She sees them on Tuesdays.

Would not be so bad but hubby had an accident with his car and we are down to one so we rented a car so I could go this f$%#ing appt today! Sometimes doctors think we have no lives. Then they knew I was pissed by my message last nite so they call me this morning and say "Ok, keep the original appt! Well, I am at work now and the appt was in 23 mins from when they called me and I am an hour's drive away! WTF???  Just annoyed as hell cause this appt was made in JULY! Ugh!

• justmejanis
    edited November 2014

Josie, way to go girl!  I am so happy for you.  You earned this job and I hope it turns out to be the dream job you deserve.  You certainly impressed them and they are lucky to have you on board.  Big hugs to you! 

April I hate it when these long scheduled appointments get cancelled.  Especially last minute and with a lame excuse no less.  I had a surgery cancelled (thyroid removal) just minutes before I was to go into the OR.  The doctor came to tell me his partner had not only not showed up, but was not answering his calls or texts.  They had already administered the pre op meds, and he actually said "aren't you glad we gave you the good drugs before we cancelled"?  I told him NO, I was not slightly amused.  Why would they medicate me and tell me 5 minutes later?  Surely they knew this guy wasn't coming.  I was pissed for sure.  I had to fast, shower with their gross soap, go through all the admission crap, get in the gown, IV's in, etc.  Sorry doc, the happy drugs did not make me happy!  I know how annoying these things are.  I hope they reschedule and make it work definitely the next time. It didn't sound like their last minute offer was going to work at all.

MY DIL got laid off from work yesterday, and my son worries that he won't be there much longer.  They worked for the same company and they did big layoffs yesterday.  Poor DIL got the ax.  Son has a year left on his contract then who knows.  They are both geologists working for an oil company in Denver.  They are really good about investing and saving so hopefully they will be okay for awhile.  Still it is a blow, both financially and personally. :(

Sew.......dear Sew......I hope all is well in your world.  You are probably off designing another amazing creation!

• april485
    edited November 2014

OMG Janis! I would be LIVID if that happened to me...absolutely insanely pissed off. But, it still comes under one of those "Accept what we cannot change" moments, doesn't it? Anyway, they rescheduled my appt. to 11/18 and hopefully we will have our old Chevy that has been sitting for a year and not running on the road again so we will have two cars. Talk about the worst time for my hubby to crack up his car since financially we are barely able to make ends meet. Our 401K is practically gone now and we don't have a safety net. Just a few short years ago before my husband lost his job of 23 years, we were taking two vacations a year, paying our bills and saving 1K a month. Now we have to sell our house in the spring. Life changes so quickly! I hope your DIL and son do ok with this new layoff. It can truly make your life change drastically. My husband earns 1/3 of his previous salary now but at least he found something after a very long time of being out of work. He is only working 30 hours a week but it helps!

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited November 2014

GRRRRRRRR  my six month check up is the Wed before Thanksgiving.  I made a point about it when they gave me that day--ARE YOU SURE HE IS GOING TO BE HERE.  and they said yes..... so we shall see said the blind man.....HA 

• 70charger
    edited November 2014

hi all. Thanks, Loved sharing my charger story with you.  You have to promote the next generation.  When it happens like that you know you did the right thing with the right person. I wanted so badly to give the poor kid a big hug.

Cake balls looked yummy!

Josie congrat, we knew you could do it.

Bunkie test results?

Good riddance to bad NEIGHBORS!

Chemo brain has me stumped for names, sorry girls.  This is all I can remember for now.

• edwards750
    edited November 2014

I would be ticked too Janis and April. Good grief right before surgery? And an appt made months ago April? You are right they think we have no life and we should alter our plans/appts at a minute's notice. That works both ways. 

Sorry about your DIL's job. That's great they have an emergency fund. Wow no job is secure these days. DH had a great job years ago and got the rug pulled put from under him with just 2 weeks notice! OMG we were so blessed he found the job he has now. He is a civil engineer so at least there were jobs available and he really likes his job. 

April - that really sux- longevity/seniority doesn't seem to matter anymore. We experienced some lifestyle changes too. Life sure can go south sometimes. Sorry you have to sell your  house. I love when financial gurus like Dave Ramsey tell you you need to have 3-6 months income saved and an emergency fund. Of course we should - how many people are in a position to do that? Medical expenses like all of us have had and still have, job losses, house issues, kids needs and on and on. Hard to stop the bleeding sometimes. 

Keep the faith and have a nice weekend everyone!

Diane 

• justmejanis
    edited November 2014

April despite all the drugs in me I lost all my happy thoughts that morning.  How irresponsible was that?  I did get is rescheduled and everything was done promptly the following week.  I sure hope your new appointment on 11/18 goes on without a hitch.  I am really sorry about the ongoing car problems and do hope they are all resolved quickly.  Sometimes we just yearn for normal, even if that means driving our own car and not a rental.  Hang in there girlfriend.  I plan on winning that lottery and when I do I will happily give you a hand.  Hard times have hit so many of us and it is not fun.  I am okay being in this situation as long as all my children, 2 and 4 legged, are all okay.  They keep me focused sand safe and somehow centered.

70charge I think it is awesome you enjoy working on your cars so much.  The restoration clearly restores your soul as well.  Your passion about it spills over and that is a wonderful thing.  Teaching kids about the generation past is so much fun and what you did for that young man was incredible!  He certainly will never forget your act of generosity and kindness.  You did a good thing!

Diane that is so good that your DH had a brief layoff and was able to find a job he loves so quickly.  That makes a world of difference.  Illness and a cut in pay forced my DH out of a good paying job, then required a move to Idaho.  The past few years have been pretty traumatic.  We do the best we can every day to make the most of the life we are now living.  I miss my friends and family terribly, but I have made a few friends here.  I love giving what little I can, in the way of my baking.  I don't do fancy, but all my goodies are made with plenty of love.  It brings me so much joy to be able to share my treats with so many others.  Big smiles and hugs are the best thanks ever!  :)

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited November 2014

Josie, Congratulations!!  I am so very happy for you.  You so deserve this change in your life.  Yay!!!

April, I can't imagine how annoyed you must have been.  Not good.  It is hard enough to get psyched for these appointments as it is, and then to have to rent a car to get there?  Unbelievable!!  Hope life starts going smoother for you soon.  So many have seen their finances crash in the last several years.  Hopefully you will find a plan to help you recover some of what you have lost.  It is always such a challenge to stay ahead of the increasing expenses and prices.

Janis, there are lots of headhunters out there looking for people to work in the new oil developments in North Dakota and Texas.  My BIL is also a geologist, with a dual degree in petroleum engineering.  He is doing consulting at this point.  He is five years out from retirement, but there is no shortage of jobs if he is willing to travel and relocate for maybe a year at a time.  He has even taken foreign assignments where he works a month on and a month off.  His favorite of those was Budapest.  He loved it there.  He would work for a month, and then come back home for a month - although he worked from home some as well.   He has had anxious moments locating these opportunities, however.  I hope your DIL finds something quickly to replace what she's lost.  Hopefully she has unemployment to help tide them over

Bunky, any news?

I am back in Minnesota and ready to get to work.  Now I have to wait for a radon test to be done on the house before I can get busy.  It takes four days!!

• 70charger
    edited November 2014

Hope everyone has a great weekend.  Thanks for the kind words ladies.

Going out for supper with friends tonight, haven't seen for a few months. Catch u all later

• josie123
    edited November 2014

April, sorry about your appt. That is a shame . I know working in a medical office mistakes with appointments will happen occasionally but also the doctors have been known to just plan a vacation even if they have a full schedule leaving the office staff scrambling to reschedule everyone. But they should of tried to accommodate you a little better than that.

Today I had 2 angry patients. I had a full schedule(17)and we had my 10:00 show up at like 10:30 and my 10:20 had issues with her referral so I took my 10:40 since she was ready and it was like 10:50 before I got to my 10:20 because she refused to sign her or responsibility form because the referral would specify a bone density and although insurance said it would be fine we just wanted to be sure. If I hadn't checked and it wouldn't have paid then it would be my butt. CYA.hen she was sent out to the waiting room for her 11:30 am ultrasound. But someone dropped the ball and she didn't get to see the Doctor till 12:20 She was livid. I don't blame her. His MA acted like it wasn't her fault but I think it was.

Then my 2:40 pm of thought her appt was like 2:00 and got there at 1:45. She was pretty ticked off. I explained to her and showed her the appt in the computer and her appt with the doc wasn't till 3:30.

• josie123
    edited November 2014

Janis,April,Fran, Gigil thanks for the congrats. My manager just said ok. And I'm happy for you.

Janis, I'm sorry about you DIL losing her job. Been there done that. I sure hope she finds something soon. Will they give her unemployment? I know it's like half or less than what you made but every little helps.

My mammogram was negative. Yes. I'm so happy. I was a little scared because it took a little longer to read than normal. They have 3 D mammogram s there now but you have to specify and I figured it would cost more. As it was my share of the cost for this one was like $177. Ouch. I took the bill and said I'd send a check. Maybe if we can.

How does the 401 k work. I have one at this current jib. I didn't know how to cash it in though.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited November 2014

Josie, before retirement age, you can only roll your 401K over into another 401K. If you do take a distribution before age 59 1/2 you pay a 10% penalty. There are exceptions, however. The IRS waives the 10% penalty for certain "hardship" withdrawals. Each plan's rules vary (check yours to be sure), but you may be able take money out of your retirement account penalty-free before age 59 ½ if you use it for:

• Purchasing your first home
    • Expenses after the onset of a sudden disability
    • Higher education expenses (like college for your kids)
    • Payments you make to prevent eviction or foreclosure
  • brooksidevt
    edited November 2014

Josie, I'm so glad you asked.  Your 401(k) is a retirement plan, not simply a savings plan.  You never, never, never cash it in unless absolutely necessary. In order to "help" us understand the need to set these funds aside for retirement, the IRS has established very stringent rules for withdrawals.  As Gigil indicated, If you take the money out before age 59 1/2, the IRS takes 10% right off the top and  you are taxed on the rest as income.  Depending on your federal tax rate, state and sometimes local taxes, you could wind up with less than half of your balance.  Also as Gigil indicated, there are very stringent exceptions to this rule, and the exceptions vary somewhat by plan,

You can leave your account just where it is, or you can roll it into an IRA, where you can invest in mutual funds or a fixed account, just as you are doing right now.  Unless your present employer says something different, there is no rush, but you definitely want to speak with a financial professional (or several), maybe at your bank or your insurance agency or securities firm. And be certain the financial institution rolls the funds right from the old account into your new one.  That way, every single dollar travels right into the new account and there is not a single penny of tax that you have to pay.  This is really one place where you absolutely want to work with a financial professional.  It just happens that this is exactly what I do.  I'm a chartered financial consultant, and help folks with this kind of transaction all the time. If you'd like to PM me, I'll be happy to share lots more info.

• edwards750
    edited November 2014

Janis - we were blessed my DH found another job so quickly. Thing is he had worked for this company years before. A serious medical situation forced him to leave the company. Actually he called them to see if they knew who was hiring and they said we are! Def divine intervention.

Josie - good news on your mammogram. We had to pay $600 out of pocket between my mammogram and oncologist's visit - we had insurance too.

We had to take $ out of our 401k account. Didn't want to but we had enormous medical bills when my DH broke his neck. It was def our last resort but when the breadwinner is unable to work for more than 8 months you do what you have to do. The balance at the Trauma Center was 53k. It is tempting to rob your account when money is tight but like our resident experts Brookside and Gigi have said it will cost you dearly.

At the West Clinic where I see my oncologist, they have scheduled appts at a time when my oncologist wasn't expected for hours.

So cold here today! Not as bad as other parts of the country but still frigid. I love Fall weather but winter-like - ugh!

Diane