Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited November 2014

Gigil and Brookside thanks for the advice about the 401k. What I want to know to is if you no longer work for the company what happens to the money? Do you still have the 401 k? I never signed up to pay a portion of my salary towards it and didn't even realize that I had a 401 k since I had been paying on it.

I also have a ton of pto saved up. I guess they don't pay you for that if you don't use it. I'm going to have to check on that.

• josie123
    edited November 2014

Diane, I guess your cold weather is coming to us by Tuesday. Brrr.....

Today it's been beautiful mild weather high of 51° . But by tues a high on only 35°.

I swore I was going to sleep in today. Instead I woke up too earlyand couldn't go back to sleep. Like 5am.

My DD' s and I went to some craft fairs today. That was fun.

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited November 2014

Under heavy snowfall warning today. Of course we had to have the freezing rain 1 st.  Big high of -11C or 12.2F for tomorrow.  I don't see this white stuff leaving anytime soon like it did 2 weeks ago. UGH!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited November 2014

Josie, did you say you are or are not contributing to your 401(k)?  If you are, the present value of your contributions belongs to you.  If your employer is making contributions, their contributions may or may not belong to you. Your benefits person can fill you in on this.  Probably you can leave the account right where it is (as you would leave a bank account in a bank), but you may be required to move the funds.  I can't stress strongly enough that you will want to work with a financial services person to move the funds correctly to avoid nasty, icky tax stuff. Remember, those funds are tucked away for your retirement, so if you move them, it will be to either an IRA or perhaps the 401(k) at your new employer.  Again, resist any temptation to take a check, then invest the funds yourself.  If the check does not go directly to the new custodian, the IRS requires that a healthy amount be withheld.

• josie123
    edited November 2014

Fran, I guess that's the downside to living in Canada in the winter. I for one hate the cold and am pretty spoiled by our milder weather in the Midwest.

BROOKSIDE, I don't contribute to it. Also the job I am going to does offer 401k.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited November 2014

My two cents on cancelled appointments--grrr. that's how I stopped seeing my bs. They cancelled at the last minute on my answer phone and I never rescheduled. Of course I continued care with my other docs, so I'm not too concerned. Janis, that's wild that they cancelled you so late.

Hi Josie. Good advice from GigiL and Brookside. If your company is making contributions you probably had to work for them a certain number of years before you are vested in the account. How long were you there? They will definitely have someone you can talk too. Watch out for tax stuff! There are lots of rules, as others have said. As for pto, my organization does not pay it when you leave. I noticed that some people take a week or two of "vacation" just before they leave for good, in order to get the days.

Yes April, I had that sudden life change of circumstances too. Working hard to remain positive, but sometimes it catches up to me.

Waiting to hear from Bunkie and Sew.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited November 2014

HI everyone - Got the MRI results back and no news. Nothing shows as far as the vertigo. That is not good news but it was great news that my brain is ok. There are several possibilities with this chronic dizziness and some are not so good. So it is good that the MRI is done. That leaves the inner ear. Meniers is a inner ear disease that I have all the symptoms for and it is also autoimmune. However I do not have the hearing loss associated with it and they can not give me a true diagnosis without that. There is a possibility that a tiny sarcoidosis granuloma is attached to my inner ear someplace and causing the problem. I have tried the diet changes and PT for the condition and nothing helps much. I am searching for a PT that will do manual message on my neck and shoulders. My vertigo PT does it and it always helps some. However she does not do that really and makes an exception for me. She is 70 miles from here so I am searching for 1 closer to me. No luck so far. Insurance will not cover that type of PT only. It will cost me 60 a visit to go and I need about 2 visits a week for 6 weeks to see if it will help. Wish me luck.

Gigil - Maybe we can talk off line about the selling process when you are done. I did a radon test several years ago but need to do another before I officially list the house. Looks like I will need to move out of here for some of the painting etc before I list. Especially the basement area. I am trying to decide if I need to pull up the carpets on the main floor and have the floors done also but I am scared. If they pull it up and there is floor damage then I have to repair it. If I just list as having hardwoods underneath I may be better off. I have depleated my savings etc with all the house repairs and Dr bills the last 3 years. So I am hoping not to have too much happen the next 8 mos so I can get out of here.

edwards - I made the mistake of pulling out money for emergencies when I was 59 and not 59 and 1/2. Mom had just died and I was not thinking clear. Got hit hard with a penalty etc and payed 50% of it back to uncle sam. I am still paying so be careful with that.

Need to read back on other stuff. Will catch up later. Polar vortex is coming early. So tired of hearing that word. It gives me trama flashbacks after last years power outage where I had to move out of my home for 6 days.

• brooksidevt
    edited November 2014

Bunkie, do be sure to ask the advice of two or three real estate agents before you do (or do not do) any more work.  Some things we might not even think of make the house more saleable, others that appear to be nobrainers, do not.

Well, glad the MRI is OK.  As you and I have discussed, inner ear stuff seems pretty under researched.  There does seem to be a lack of unity in understanding this stuff.  I've had the diagnosis of Meniere's disease for probably thirty years and it is just now that I had a hearing test that showed a bit of loss.  Thankfully, I'm still in the upper 80% of people my age.

70Charger, I'm glad I don't live in your area.  I'm in a snow belt (and cold belt) here in Vermont, but it sure seems milder than where you are.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited November 2014

Bunkie - glad the MRI is okay. Sorry you are dealing with hearing issues and vertigo.

Totally agree about getting advice about spending more money for home repairs. My X neighbor has spent a small fortune on her house. Completely gutted all the flooring, new countertops, new sidewalk and driveway and also gutted the bathrooms and started over. She just had the roof and siding replaced. Her new DH is handy so he has done some of the work but still no telling what they have spent getting the house ready to sell. She pretty much let things go but she was a single Mom and no xtra $. Her new husband has a few bucks which helps. Will be interesting to see if they get their asking price which is more than the other 2 houses in our cove sold for.

Unfortunately, we did get nailed for robbing our 401k. It was a last resort but mounting doctor bills, DH unable to work and household expenses left us with no other alternative. Despite the hit we took it was our financial salvation. We have another one now but have a lot to make up. Def do not do what we did unless you are like us desperate.

Diane

• edwards750
    edited November 2014

Bunkie - let me add that the siding and roofing that was done on my neighbor's house was a result of an edict from Code Enforcement. The house literally had rotten wood everywhere and leaks in the roof. They gave her X no of days to make the repairs or suffer stiff fines. Sounds harsh but this was years and years of the house being in total disrepair. We all helped her in the yard which she also ignored. We have a neighborhood covenant as well that added to the pressure to do the repairs. Now the house is really pretty.

Diane

• 70charger
    edited November 2014

Brookside.  Today we have a windchill of balmy -21C, temp is -13.  Suppose to be -20C by Thurs.  Sure glad I got new boots that are good to -40C.   Can't wait to get somewhere warm.  My cats are hogging the blankets today.

• brooksidevt
    edited November 2014

Good gracious, Charger.  Where do you live--Up there by the Northwest Territories?  It's 39 here, and I'm thinking that's cold.  I'm also thinking about how much I'm going to have to pay for heat this year.  You too?  Or do you go south, say, to Minnesota?  Brrrr.

Edwards, I'm glad your neighbor found someone to help her.  I don't know any of the details, of course, but can't help but think of the financial damage a divorce can do to a young family (and their house).

• 70charger
    edited November 2014

LOOK for ALBERTA

Now See where it says EDMONTON?  Beside that just a tiny bit to the south it says LEDUC, that's me. Along ways away from the territories.  But really cold.

• brooksidevt
    edited November 2014

You southerner, you!  Do you stay there all winter?

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited November 2014

Brookside, SAB anyone, will an employer ever contribute to a 401k if it isn't a match with the employee's contribution? I haven't heard of this. As was previously mentioned, I think by SAB, in regard to any employer contribution a person usually has to be with the company for a certain amount of time to have the 401k vest 100%. It may however be vested at some percentage level.

Also, have any of you heard of this? Leaving Your Job On or After Age 55

If you are retiring from the company that is sponsoring your plan and you are at least 55 at retirement, you can begin to withdraw monthly income from your 401k with no penalty. You will owe income tax on the amount. You will need to check with your companies benefits administrator for details. Your employer is also required to give you a "Summary Plan Description" (SPD) annually and upon request. The SPD should also address early retirement options in your 401k plan. If you rollover your 401k into an IRA, this option is not available to you.

Substantially Equal Periodic Payments

The substantially equal periodic payment exception is available to anyone with a 401k plan, regardless of age, which makes it an attractive escape hatch. It is called a Section 72(t) distribution. In a 72(t) withdrawal, the distributions must be "substantially equal" payments based upon your life expectancy. Once the distributions begin, they must continue for a period of five years or until you reach age 59½, which ever is longest. The full rules and life expectancy tables can be found in IRS Publication 590. This option generally give you the least retirement pay out available.

Not sure how old you are Josie. You are likely not even 55. so it might be a moot point.

Bunky, I would be glad to chat with you about selling the house. One thing we learned along the way this summer is that the things we thought we needed to change, really made no difference in the marketability or sale price of our house. We did a lot of cosmetic things that didn't improve anything at all. In fact when we had the realtor come over, we asked her what needed to be changed and she said, "Nothing it is fine just as it is". I thought I needed to touch up paint inside, and do carpet cleaning, etc. We had put on new garage doors, which I think helped, and repaired a service door to the garage, we cleaned and uncluttered the garage. I staged the house just by cleaning it and decluttering it, and packing lots of personal items away. You usually don't have to do as much as you think you do. Maybe get a realtor or two in and ask their advice about what needs to be done, and what you can get for the house.

• brooksidevt
    edited November 2014

Yes, Gigil, there are some organizations where the employers contribute even to those who do not otherwise participate.  It's not because they're nice.  It's because doing so allows them to participate at, let's say, beneficial levels.

When I sold my Long Island house, the agent gave me a list of dozens of suggestions for staging.  Basically, it involved putting away everything that made the house a home.  It worked.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited November 2014

Charger - brrr! Guess you live there because you love the seasons mild, cool, colder, and frozen

Josie - you must be glowing...can you use all your PTO as your 2 week leave? Good advicerom SAB, Brookside, and GiGil ....watch out rollover if at all possible not sure if your vested seek your accountants advice.

Bunkie - please interview 3 RE agents. A good agent is worth the 6%. You get what you pay for and should include staging and great photos. Ask for a home inspection so you can review the hit list and focus on correcting those items. Keep all receipts and sign offs so that inspection may be given to future buyers. Your agent will know a good inspector and pest guy too! Make sure you have all your expenses documented and recorded for the sale... And remember over 55 you can sell and make $250k profit tax free...:))) hope your dizzy head is doing better.

April- more baby pics? You know the ones with GM!

Lemon - how are you doing? We are missing you...thinking of you :)))

Sew - what are you up to lady?

BigD - thinking of you and hoping you did well and your crazy jerk of a boss has a softer heart. XO

Trying to finish the demo here this week. Pups final obedience class is Sat and early Sunday off we go to sunny Rancho Mirage for the holidays. Yikes, it will take a few days to clean all the dust and put up gates to keep the pup in...can't believe he's 25 weeks and 58 pounds...ds&dil are on Cancun vacation...today they went to a track and raced an Audi8 over 200 mph crazy...me I would just bask in the surf.

Shout outs to all

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• 70charger
    edited November 2014

Yes brook & RM  it gets cold here, for sure.  Yes we stay, unless we pay for sunshine as in vaca.  In two weeks we are going to Mexico puerta Vallarta, then home for 2 weeks, then spending xmas in Vegas.  The rest of the cold winter will be ours to enjoy. ugh.  I'm a wanna be.  I wanna be a snowbird. We would not be going except hubby changed jobs & if we don't go now, it will be this time next year before we are able to get away.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited November 2014

Ooh Cindy, Rancho Mirage sounds good to me sitting here in Minnesota watching the snow fall. We have had 5 inches and they are saying 4 more. The snow is wet and heavy!! I have to stick around to close on the house we are selling until Dec. 22. Not sure if we will be heading to Florida then over the holidays or stick around to close on the house we are buying on Jan. 5. Right now, I am wondering why I rushed back from Florida. I can't go into the house we are selling because they are running a radon test. I do have a crew of maids coming to our city house to clean on Wednesday. My husband works too much in a hospital and he wants that kind of cleanliness at home. Makes me crazy, a little. I asked him what he would do if he had to live in a sod hut like our ancestors did. He had to laugh at that one. Our house is only dusty, and maybe needs a surface clean. I guess a good cleaning before the holidays won't be too bad. I hate coordinating cleaning crews. I am too busy right now at the other house. I can get back in there late Wednesday, so off I will go to start downsizing, shredding paper and packing.

I shouldn't complain, but I'll bet Charger's weather is even nicer than ours right about now. Winter too early. Boo!

• 70charger
    edited November 2014

GiGil  I think you are getting that same system that was to hit Ontario today.  They said it could snow up to 2 cm every hour.  I'm glad we didn't get that much here.  But we will over the course of the winter.  I think we are colder here than you. It is to get colder everyday this week.  Layering up for sure.  Already doing 3 layers on top 2 on bottom.  Next I'll be wearing my parka.  Marshmallow time!  talking about how I will look, not hot chocolate. lol

• josie123
    edited November 2014

Cindy, yes lots of my friends at work have noticed my glowing smile ,finally happy because Im finally leaving to hopefully a better job. I cant use my PTO anymore at least I shouldn't since its my last 2 weeks. That wouldn't look to good I guess. But Im going to ask my boss about the PTO. We are part of a large Medical Group and get little benefits from that group like birthday pay $1 for every year you are. Im pretty sure my friend who quite a while ago got paid for her PTO/vacation. I've got my RO apt this morning.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited November 2014

Hi ladies,

Tried soooo hard to post a photo of Aubrey to no avail...ugh! My work computer will not cooperate at all. Oh well, suffice to say she is GORGEOUS and I am not just a proud grandma (although I am!) but seriously, she is absolutely beautiful in comparison to many babies I have seen in my life. She has such a beautiful shaped head (round) considering the opening she squeezed through. HA! And, a full head of beautiful downy soft blonde hair and the most beautfiul little mouth. Anway, enough about Aubrey Emma!

Tried to catch up a bit but just know that I am thinking of all of you. Josie, you can roll over the 401K into an IRA within a certain amount of time. My employer contribues 3% of my gross pay to my 401K each year (sort of like a pension) and then they match 2% of what I contribute. Of course with hubby out of work, as soon as I turned 59 1/2, I had to raid a huge chunk of it to pay bills and get through this winter's heating costs but we are selling this house in the spring so. I am having nightmares about a new place that is teeny tiny since I am so used to a lot of space. I dreamt I was in bed and then could not get out cause the walls were right against the bed on all sides...LOL! My master bedroom is 20 X 18 so I am used to a LOT of room!

Ok, back to work. We used to have Veteran's Day off and the rest of the agency still does but the funding source for our grant said too many days closed in one month since we get two days for Thanksgiving and took the holdiday away as part of our contract two years ago. They also took Lincoln's BD away and we just have President;s Day now so we lost two holidays and when we complained, they gave us back one as a floater so we had to accept it. Also, this year my agency is giving the Friday after Xmas day off as a bonus and the same with NY' Day Friday after but WE can't take it. Sucks big time...

Talk at ya later!

• brooksidevt
    edited November 2014

Yes, be sure to ask about the PTO.  I don't think you owe those dolts anything at all.  If they won't pay you for the time, tell them you'll be taking days instead.   If  they give you any grief, please remind them that you already trained your temporary replacement and refer them to the temp agency you've worked with.  Also, do not hesitate for one minute to go to that nice doctor who's really the one in charge.

Smile!

• Alicethecat
    Alicethecat Member Posts: 77
    edited November 2014

Hello ladies

On Christmas Eve 2013, my respiratory consultant confirmed that I have a bit of radiation damage - post radiation fibrosis - but he didn't think it would cause me a problem. I just might experience a bit of breathlessness after heavy exercise, he said.

The big picture was that although it could get worse, it would probably stay the same and wouldn't cause me any trouble.

I was horrified. Very upset. So sad to think I'd taken the decision to have radiation and appeared to have drawn the short straw. I had to do everything to find out if anything could be done about it.

Here is one of the articles I found:

http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/17/10/3283.abstract

Interestingly, if you do a search, you'll find that there are current studies going on now.

Anyway, I digress...sorry...So, in brief, I decided to get more Vitamin E from food (nuts), continue enjoying red wine and increase my asthma dose for the times when I felt breathless.

I've also been trying to have more antioxidants (vegetables), take my asthma meds more regularly and keep up with my iron syrup and drink coconut juice occasionally.

It seems to have worked.

One year ago, my lung function, tested at the hospital, was 61%. Now it's 70%. Such a big improvement! The ideal is 80% so there is still some way to go but still...

The technician said he thought it was unlikely that one ingredient had caused the change but he said that if someone does something that makes 0.5% change and then does a lot of little changes then it can add up to a big change.

I hope this gives hope to someone who has had similar news to me.

Best wishes

Alice

• edwards750
    edited November 2014

Josie - be safe I just heard THE verdict is coming down this weekend. The police will be given advanced warning of the verdict so they will be as prepared as they can be.

diane

• josie123
    edited November 2014

April and Brookside, thanks for the advice.

Alice, sounds kind of scarey. I thought a few times since Rads that maybe the feeling of breathless after climbing 2 flights of steps along with feeling faint maybe a post Rads thing or mine is more likely to be my heart. I will find out Thursday. Saw my RO

This morning and he said all is well he also does a thorough breast exam too.

I dont have to see him again til May12.

Diane , yes I heard that the verdict will be this weekend. My DH is off all weekend and we planned to go to church together. We also need to go to the grocery store. I hope it's not to dangerous to do these things. Our church is only 5 min away.

• 70charger
    edited November 2014

-28 windchill this morn. Suppose to be -4 by Sunday.  Rollercoaster ride has begun.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited November 2014

Brookside, Edwards, Gigil and Cindy - Thanks for all the input on the house. I really do not want to sell but have to. In a perfect world I could close it down for the winter and go to FL, Vegas etc and visit. Then come back and resume my life. However the world is not perfect. My finances will not allow the 3,000 a month for vac rentals and keep my home. The home itself is in need of too much heavy work. I have done a lot in 4 years. I have fought hard to keep up the landscaping, control the problems in the home as they arise but it is getting to be too much. For every thing I fix something new and just as expensive pops up. Plus the need for me to evacuate the house when work is being done gets to be a problem. My home is in better shape than some in my neighborhood and when people come over they always ooooh and ahhh at what I have done but I know there are things that will need an upgrade. I thought about a home improvement loan but seems silly to do that and then sell. I have to de-mildew the basement and clean it up, address a few water issues and make sure the flatrooof is repaired. The roof is pretty sound and the furnace, waterheater, stove and fridge are newer. I am not going into the attic crawl space or remodel anything. I am not going to gut anything. I will get several bids and advice. We will see what can get done. I will get an inspection for sure. As Is homes around here are selling cheap and then they resell them for quite a bit more. Our recovery in Mi has not been so good when it comes to real estate. Add in the new pension tax for retirees and people are bailing on this place fast. Once I sell I am having an estate sale and let go of about half my stuff. Between that and donations I want to only keep about a 1 bedroom apt amount of stuff. Easier to move and not have to store. It cost me a lot to move my 2bdrm condo full of stuff to Mi from Ca in 04. Not doing that again.

Brookside - Yup I have to just give up the serious fight on the dizzies. I will continue to try for some answers but I have to let go of the day to day fight I have been doing for the last 3 years. I am someone who never gives up and I feel like there has to be an answer out there....just maybe not in this one horse town I live in.

OK ladies I have 1 more appt to make I am past due on the mammogram 2nd year followup. So I will call today. I also made a 1 time appt with a gyno for that after rads painful sex thing we touched on before. Want to get all these crappy tests done bufore Christmas.

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164
    edited November 2014

Came on to catch up and CONGRATULATIONS JOSIE!!!!!! Great news, so very happy for you.

• edwards750
    edited November 2014

Bunkie - don't blame you about not spending anymore $ to make house repairs. The house in my cove is not up for sale yet. Have no clue what she owes on the house but it was appraised by the County for 60k less than they are asking but that was before all this work. DH said they easily spent that much remodeling it.

We would have to do a lot of work to sell our house. We probably have the least expensive house in the neighborhood based on square footage but goes to show you why those drive by appraisals aren't that accurate.

Good Josie - have fun with your DH this weekend.

Alice - I had 33 Rads treatments. Didn't really have issues except bit of burning and fatigue but I understand problems may not surface for years. Glad your lung function is better.

Painters coming tomorrow. Finally that will be the end of it and onto kitchen flooring.

We have delayed so many things that needed attention but unfortunately something more pressing happened not to mention $ issues.

Diane