Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited February 2015

Sew, yes I know I was shocked at how upset she was about not going not as much about Grandpa. She was concerns about him but still didn't understand. I told her she was not allowed to call her grandparents tonight at all. She will get over it and someday realize how silly she overreacted. My dad also had concerns about if there was a fire in the cabin how would they put it out with no water. They couldn't . Just have to watch it burn .I just feel terrible that he was so sick over her going.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2015

Josie, it is so stressful when our kids are transitioning into adulthood.  Yes, we need to let go.  But the cabin is not hers and she needs to either find a place that has heat and water, or wait until the weather is better.  Your dad is right.  There is liability there.  Sorry to hear your dad is feeling stressed.  Hang in there...

Fran, I almost think that your biopsy was never sent out...or if it was, they already knew it wouldn't be good.  I never heard of anything like this.  I had my biopsy results very quickly.  In fact, I picked up a copy of my biopsy report and looked up all the terms on the internet before a doctor even looked at the report.  And I picked up my own glass slides to take them to two different hospitals for analysis and 2nd opinion. 
    I agree - your doctor should be able to rush it.

SAB, Sew, don't make me jealous with your reports of moderate temperatures!  Friday will be the coldest day of the year so far.  My little town was minus 3 this morning. 

Work was so blah today...I just wish I could let go of wanting to be considered as part of the "group"...not that I should want to be...5 guys who are mostly egotistical and who just self-promote and steamroll through whatever they want.  I am torn between doing my own "thing" or just collecting a paycheck and not getting involved with anything other than my classes. 

Red, waiting to hear how you are doing.

Brookside, keep warm!  Hi Ohiofan..stop sending chilly weather this way!

Hi Janis, don't be a stranger...I know it's been a challenging time for you this winter.  Hugs...
    Cindy, Gigil, Bunkie, Big D, April, Lemon, Susannah, Gemini, and others who have not been here in awhile...please check in.

OK - bed is calling me...I never get enough sleep but tomorrow is an easier day.

Hugs, everyone...

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited February 2015

Yep, Sew, that's exactly what I did, and what DD should be prepared to do. Every winter weekend. And I was alone with three kids and teaching skiing from 8:00 until 3:30 all day Saturday and Sunday, then driving five(ish) hours home to Long Island. I was only in my 40's, of course, but, looking back at it, I was NUTS! If only I had a fraction of that energy now!

Seriously, if there is no snow removal and weather is coming, this is not the weekend. Of course, I so need to mention that one of my friends used to park at the end of the plowed road, take his sled, pre-loaded with all his provisions, and mush a mile up the hill to his house. Also, unless your DD has experience in turning the water on and off and draining the pipes and all that's involved, or one of her friends is a plumber, I'd insist that the weekend wait until someone has walked through everything with her.

Another also--friends tend to think it might be a good idea to bring electric or kerosene or propane space heaters. A conversation needs to address that potentiality.

I'm writing kind of positively here, only because I used to do it, but, honestly, Gramps' blood pressure sure seems say, "No, no, no! Not at this time, and not without Gramps having had the opportunity to personally walk DD through all the steps."

If it isn't already in place, there needs to be a checklist and a list of phone numbers (even if there is no service in that area) posted by the door, and duplicated in a binder.

• josie123
    edited February 2015

Joan, your right about this being a stressful time. They want to be considered adults even if they really aren't.

I'm sorry work is like that for you too. I always struggle with who to sit by at lunch if my co workers from our department aren't there.The other day I asked the people from anouther department if I could sit by them. They kind of looked at me and looked at each other. I should of just walked away. Instead I awkwardly sat there and ate my lunch.Now today I sat in the kitchen with a few women I actually like and that will talk to me. But the people from my dept were kind of wondering why I didn't sit by them . Can't win sometimes.

Brookside, I agree. My dad's the property owner and has to be the one to allow her to go. She probably would have did ok with things but it's not worth my dad's health. I agree about the water situation too. I think that was one of his things that worried him. It's not worth his health.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited February 2015

home. no pain meds or nasea meds since release  was back to er night of release with 102 temp that went down before I left er--the did c-diff test (I had shit}s and blood cultures and checked incision for anty sighs of problems etc.  came home 11pm and chsnged bed twice and my pj.s more than twice, but I guess the constipating effect of the Norco plus the 6 Imodium tablets will mean the sheets should last quie a while now that I struggled an hour putting one on the matress left hand only........

and I missed mardi gras   last year I wast bead worthy because of my surgery and this year poof-it escaped me.  my new goal thanks to solinda on another thread--to dance tpopless in my thong with feathers on my head.....now that's a powerful visual for all us survivors--and I say we do it in 2016

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited February 2015

redheaded...oh the sight of it...absolutely no one would want to see me with nothing but feathers on my head dancing anywhere....lol. Well, it sounds like the worst immediate effects of your surgery is past, and now you can just concentrate on getting better.....feathers and all! (Hugs

• brooksidevt
    edited February 2015

Ohhhh, Red, such a miserable introduction to one-hand-in-a-cast living! Misery, misery, misery! You are certainly entitled to super fast healing. And do please watch it with the imodium; one of my friends overdid it a little and had the opposite issue. Anyway, so glad your surgery is over with, and successful, that you're not in pain, and you are on your way to getting both arms working.

I hope your DD is processing the cabin in the woods issue and the parallel maturity/responsibility issue and the Grampa's little girl issue (and that Grampa is doing the same). It's pretty durned scary for everyone when the kids decide they are grownups, and when the kids first run up against some of the realities of adult responsibility. Scary, but necessary. It does get better.

• josie123
    edited February 2015

Redheaded, glad your home. Hope your tummy gets better. Drink plenty of fluids. That will help counteract the after effects of pain meds.Don't you have any help? Couldn't someone helped you with sheets?

Brookside, My DD was very angry and disappointed at first the other night. I wanted her to direct the anger at me so she could get it all out of her system. She tends to flip out a little. Yesterday morning I called her on my way to work and she apologized. I am glad she got over it and will probably take her out for coffe or breakfast on Saturday to celebrate her birthday.

• Redheaded1
    edited February 2015

I have friends who have taken me to er three times, to medical appointments, etc but none could spend the night.  this all happened in wee hours of am

its ok I am a fiercely independent woman and it is hard to be part of "the least of these, thy breathren"
    for even a little while.  Ive called to see if I can try driving since not on meds-if nit, will probably go spend night with 87 yr old dad- he,s ailing, caregiver was let go by agency day of mr surgery and replacement's hours are not good  they are predicting 3-5 inches of snow for us

• brooksidevt
    edited February 2015

So, Charger, did you have your biopsy, or did you biopsy them. I sure hope all goes well this time, and that your CT scan shows just that you are superbly photogenic. I've been thinking of you, and sure hope a phone call with excellent news is on the way.

Cindy, thinking of you and hubby. Hoping the docs are successfully figuring out some good options.

Gigi, can't remember where you are right now, but I sure hope it's in Florida. Wish I were there too--Minus 10 this morning. And, it seems, every morning. Ugh.

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited February 2015

Biopsy & CT done. Dr. didn't have much to say. Ditsy nurse with him this time. She dominated conversation. Figured I better let him concentrate. He said he would put rush on it, but it takes time to freeze it, prep it, slice it read it & get results to him. I can start calling on Wed. Then he will start to watch for it.

Couldn't get on anywhere yesterday, computer or servers were super glitchy.

Red Glad to hear u are on the mend.

Wishing we'd hear from Cindy. Big huggers

Still have nothing from Lemon .

Loud shout to Big D.

Josie glad DD had the ahh- haa moment.

You guys stay safe with all those storms! huggers Fran

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited February 2015

Hi Yall

Thank You so much for thinking of us....I need to readback, but checking in.

A difficult week, emergency surgery, stoma, port, liver drain, and stage 4 cancer bladder cancer that metastized to rectum/colon, liver, kidneys, lungs next week a look at brain. Palliative care with hospice is on the table. We are preparing for that major talk with MO on prognosis...QOF and treatment. Blood clot in thigh...and the list goes on. My dad was here for 2 days, son comes today for 2, pup is a bit weepy so off to daycare, he is a comfort. Chemo is needed to shrink mass in rectum 8X4 cm...thinking where to put him at home...guess I will rearrange the furniture.

Shout outs to all...

Charger - GRRR more waiting...fingers&toes crossed results soon...ugh the waiting.

Red - ouch! So sorry...gosh there's always a challenge..sending healing thoughts!

Joan, Bookside- brrr, can't be,ie e anyone can work in all that cold, snow, ice. Be safe stay warm.

Josie - hope you and DS make peace....just remember the challenge we all were for our parents...and we all made it! Hold tight in love!

Sew - I would dance with you! Toss those beads and twist:)))

SAB - yes, rain dance is needed for CA! Hope your out on a nice sunny hike with hubby and dd will be fixing something interesting for dinner...and the book?

JANIS, Lemon, April, Bunkie, BigD, RunFree et al...sending good thoughts. Thinking of all our talks with Kate and dressing up for the Oscars...:)))

Time to head back to hospital see if hubby ate.

Much love to all xoxo

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• 70charger
    edited February 2015

Oh Cindy. I'm so sorry you didn't have better news for us.  BIG HUGE HUGGERS> Thinking of you a lot. Thanks for taking the time to update.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited February 2015

So sorry Cindy. Thanks for letting us know. I wish there was something we could do for you. Know this - we are all thinking about you and your husband and hoping our prayers give you strength and comfort during this very difficult time. It certainly tests your faith but God will be right there with you through it all.

Diane

• edwards750
    edited February 2015

Ugh Redhead - hope you are feeling better. More snow - another ugh. This winter has been brutal. We don't have snow just constant raining and temps n the 30s.

Diane

• 70charger
    edited February 2015

So here is the scoop on Lemon   She is still having some health issues. Needed a break from here.

Thinks of you all, wishes you well.

Can't tell you how happy I was to hear from her.

• josie123
    edited February 2015

Cindy, I'm sure these times are going to be a blur for you. But I'm glad to hear your family is there for support. And pets are so comforting when they need to be.I'm glad you have him to get you through. They know when something isn't right. And can get depressed too.I'm praying for your hubby and you.

Fran, glad to hear Lemon contacted you. Sorry to hear health issues are continuing for her.Thanks for the update.

My DD had a good Birthday I think. She wanted to go to Sugarfire which is BBQ. They have great pulled pork sandwiches.Then she treated his to dessert. I came over to her place and helped her clean for her party. Apparently her boyfriends parents decided to help too. Hopefully every one behaved.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited February 2015

Cindy, I'm so sorry to hear your news.Take care of yourself so that you can better take care of DH. Hugs to you, and know we are thinking of you.

Charger, I just have to comment on the biopsy debacle. It made me angry reading about it, I can't imagine how upsetting it must have been to go through it. That you could remain calm with the doctor says a lot about your nature.

Redhead, I hope things get better as you start to heal. Won't insurance cover some kind of in home help? It seems like it should.

Josie, you are a good mom and a good daughter. I had to laugh at your lunch story because it reminds me of high school. Still, it seems a lot better than your last job!

Speaking of laughs, I'm with Sew here--if I go to Mardi Gras I'll have to go without the beads! Either that, or they should give me two necklaces for every peek, since my boobs look like they belong on two different people!

Stay strong all, and stay warm too. Going out for one of our walks, and then getting a computer for DH. I'm so jealous! The Apple store is like a candy store to me...look but don't taste!

• brooksidevt
    edited February 2015

Fran, I'm guessing your doc asked the ditsy nurse to talk, and talk, and talk so you wouldn't have a chance to grill him on how the new biopsy would be handled, or how the old one was. Here's hoping for happy news, both for the biopsy and the CT, on Wednesday. Very early on Wednesday.

Thanks for the news on Lemon. Sorry she's still having problems and hope she'll drop in one of these days.

Yikes, Cindy. Such a lousy list of lousy issues. You must both be in shock. Sending prayers and comfort.

Nice to hear from you, SAB. Wish it were walkable out here--road has mountains of snow on either side, non-road has three feet of soft, soft snow. Could maybe put on snowshoes, but would be exhausted in minutes. Thinking of all you banana belt ladies with actual ground where the ground should be.

• edwards750
    edited February 2015

Thanks for the update on Lemon Fran.

• 70charger
    edited February 2015

Thank you ladies for the well wishes etc. Fingers crossed it is good news & that I don't have to wait too long. Trying not to panic this time.

No prob on finding Lemon. I was just happy she responded. No word from Big D yet?

Take care to all that are without power & struggling thru these storms.

• Redheaded1
    edited February 2015

CINDY--BIGGEST OF HUGS AND HOLDING YOU TIGHT IN MY PRAYERS.

THANKS FOR UPDATE ON LEMON--MORE HUGS

70'S CHARGER-YOU ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HUGS AND PYAYERS TOO, DON'T YOU DOUBT IT!

MY WRST HAS NOT BOTHERED ME AT ALL EXCEPT DAY OF SURGERY, SEE DR TOMORROW TO SEE WHAT HE THINKS WE DO NEXT.

WE ARE ALL TOUGH ENOUGH, BUT DARN WHY DO WE HAVE TO GET THIS MUCH OF A WORK OUT TO PROVE IT?

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152
    edited February 2015

Good thoughts and prayers for all. 

• ncollett
    ncollett Member Posts: 753
    edited February 2015

Hello all I had my radiation in October and finished November 21 2014. I burned very very badly. Now I am having trouble breathing. My PCP did a CT scan on me to rule out Blood Clots and they found out that I have pretty significant scaring in my Left upper lung. My PCP said this is from the Radiation and they also found a nodule in my lung as well that was not there before. I get so short of breathe that I cant even finish combing my hair or do my grocery shoping. Has anyone else had anything like this

• brooksidevt
    edited February 2015

So sorry you've had this result, Ncollett. I know we are supposed to have a teeny slice of lung scarring after rads, but if you have significant damage, that would be very unusual, and no, I haven't heard of similar experiences. I'm guessing the scan results are already in the hot little hands of your RO, MO and a lung doc, and I'd be looking for immediate (if not sooner) input from all of them. Do please keep us in the loop as you look further into this.

• brooksidevt
    edited February 2015

Thinking of you, Fran, and hoping for an early and benign biopsy result. Fingers crossed.

Thinking of you, Cindy, and hoping those docs have given you and DH some very, very good suggestions.

Thinking of all the rest of you too!

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited February 2015

Cindy and Fran, thinking of you both! HUGE HUGS!

I know I have been MIA and this is going to be very short...leaving you with hugs and prayers. BBL!!
     Oh and here is a picture of Aubrey at 4 months taken two days ago with her big sister Mckenzie (son is in process of adopting her!)

• 70charger
    edited February 2015

Dr. just called, CT & biopsy ALL Clear!! Just inflammation dermatitis.

• brooksidevt
    edited February 2015

Yay! Finally! So happy, Fran. Boy, did they make you "pay" for that benign. Finally, Whew!

April, she's so adorable. And so mature!

• 70charger
    edited February 2015

Haven't had time to digest this all yet. I was in the middle of doing hubbys employment insurance online when Dr. called. Don't know why gov makes it SO hard to fill out. They are also picky about answers. Then there is nowhere to go to get help so you have no choice BUT to call & stay on hold for over 45 mins.

Wow. Thank you so much for everyones support & prayers. There is strength in numbers for sure. Luv u all Big huggers Fran