Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited February 2015

yay Fran---so happy!

and what a precious little one!

doctor said no driving--no lifting bending, pulling or pushing with wrist. Go back to see him this coming tues to get stitches out. Am in a hard black brace with fingers sticking out.  He said nothing about the "texas sling" or a hard cast..... did say it was a mess in my wrist when he got in there...

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited February 2015

April   Such cuties!

Red here's to quick healing for you!

Hugs to all.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited February 2015

Fran, happy dance for you!!!I'm so happy all was negative. That has to be a relief.

April, darling pictures thanks for sharing. That little baby is growing by leaps and bounds.

Redheaded,are you managing ok with one arm? Painful? Take it easy and rest up.

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152
    edited February 2015

Fran,  wonderful news!!!

Red,  take good care of that wrist.  You certainly don't want any problems with it later.  A friend thought she knew more than the doc and is now regretting some of the things she did.  Lifting, stirring, etc.

April,  adorable!!!!  They certainly grow too quickly!

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited February 2015

So happy for you Fran. Prayers answered.

Redhead - take care of your wrist. Hope it heals fast.

Precious pics April!

Had oncologist appt Monday. All clear. 3 1/2 years out. Yea!

Diane

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited February 2015

Great news, Diane. Nothing like an all clear at the onc to make us feel renewed and revitalized. Three and a half years is a wonderful milestone. My appointment is a couple of weeks out and I'm obsessively poking at all my scar tissue and everything else as well. Will be good when it's over!

Hoping the wrist and arm and so forth are comfy in your cast (or is it a brace?), Red. I'm sure you're counting the days until your bones are all nicely healed and ready for PT.

Ice dam issues, anyone? I spent yesterday mopping and mopping my enclosed porch. Guy finally came and walloped the monster ice with an axe for two and a half hours, releasing gallons of water, which was now free to cascade off the roof rather than down my once-lovely walls. Roof is now all clear and hopefully the room can dry out.

• 70charger
    edited February 2015

Great news Diane Congrats!

Brookside has a babbling brook in her backyard! Try saying that fast 3 times! Hope it drys out quickly with no mildew! Thank Goodness for big strong neighbors.

Red  How u doing?

Shouts out to all. Cindy & Big D  you guys are in my thoughts. Hope this finds you well.

• brooksidevt
    edited February 2015

Ahhh, if only the babbling brook in the backyard were the only wet thing! It's the waterfalls (two) down the inside wall that's the issue. Now that the melting snow is not trapped behind the roof ice, hopefully any wet stuff will all just run off the roof, if the roof hasn't had too much damage (sigh). I'm escaping later on--going to a flower show in Burlington, about a three hour drive. Now that's an ahhh in a different tone of voice. The friend I'm going with has her waterfalls in the middle of her rooms, so she can strategically place buckets. I just get to mop, and mop, and mop. I don't think insurance companies are going to be very happy with this area.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited February 2015

Just a quick check in...my Mom's been extremely ill and I guess we're taking her home from the hospital and going on to Hospice today....hard....and I'm more than a bit scattered.

Cindy, I'm so sorry to hear your DH's diagnosis. What a very hard time both of you are facing right now. Sending gentle hugs and a warm embrace

Fran...I'm so glad about the diagnosis, but pretty mad that they put you thru all that. Not once, but twice! All's well that ends well, I guess

Red, sounds like you're going quite well with this wrist surgery.....that's great. Keep it up

April, they are just so cute thanks for posting

Diane...We love all clears...nothing better. Mine is in a few weeks like Brookside's is, but mine is just a "mid term" look see so I'm not worried. After 3 1/2 years it gets easier to face these docs. Can't wait for them to mention all the weight I've gained though.....now that's not good.

Brookside....ice flows? and 2 1/2 hours to break it up? Geesh...I would have no idea how to handle such a thing. Glad you've got the brook flowing outside again!

BigD thinking of you

Take care everyone

• edwards750
    edited February 2015

Thanks you guys. One more milestone. Mammogram is in May. Hope you guys get all clears too.

Sew - so sorry about your Mom. Will keep her in my prayers.

Brookside - yikes - hate it for you. Not the same but we have had several leaks in our house so familiar with the clean up unfortunately.

We had another round of a wintry mix a few days ago but luckily it stayed on the ground and the streets were okay.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Diane

• josie123
    edited February 2015

Sew, I'm so sorry about your Mom. I'll say some prayers for her also.

Brookside, how terrible. Leaking roofs are the worst. I'm sure this will be covered by insurance. Keep tabs on all expenses. I'm sure you are. But sounds very exhausting.

Diane, great news. 3 1/2yrs that's wonderful.

DD turned 12 today.She is having a sleepover tommorow night at her Grandparents. I'm secretly hoping all 6 girls don't show up. She told them to get there by noon tommorow and party is over by 1pm Sunday.Lord help me!!She really has to brainstorm about what to do with them.Oh did I mention were supposed to get snow tommorow night.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited February 2015

Fran--YAY!!!!!!

Nice to see you April. Sweet children.

Redhead, be patient and take care!

Diane I'm happy to hear of the all-clear. Just getting around to making my appt., and like Brookside have been letting my imagination run free.

Brookside sounds like an icy, watery mess! I cannot imagine that much ice!

Sew, I'm sorry to hear about your mother. Hospice is full of angels, and I'm glad you will have some support in these days. My thoughts are with you.

Cindy, my thoughts are also with you.

Hugs...

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited February 2015

Thank You all for you kind thoughts&prayers

Yall are all to kind...means so much.

MO gave hubby 3-6 mos & with chemo may get 2 more...ugh our choices. He did 1 round chemo Wed and will do 2nd upcoming We'd and then a week off. He is out of it and agitated...has ripped out/off stoma, foley, and last night nephrostomy poor guy. He keeps saying this is a horrible cruise...when are we going to the hospital...and then he will be somewhat lucid. Waiting on a skilled nursing home to have a bed. If he could walk I would bring him home and hire some help, but he's beyond my abilities and my family would scream. Gosh, taking my AI and walking, tai chi and Qi gong...Sunnylands Annaberg Estate grounds are open Fri/Sat for group exercise...peaceful

Red - hope the wrist is mending well...

April - love the pics....don't you have a Bday soon...? One with a zero...hee hee:)))

Josie - Ah, Bday sleepovers...fun times...and snow:). You got this supermom:)

Diane - happy dance! Congrats on the 3 1/2 yrs out all clear :)))

Sew - I'm so sorry for you and your mom...hospice is great and a comfort. Be sure and take time for you...do you have siblings and friends...make a schedule get help! Thoughts&prayers to you.

Brookside - you live in Niagara Falls...oh my...not just a babbling brook...buckets of hugs to you...Disney the sorcerers apprentice...make that mop dance!

Fran - Luv the good news :)))

BigD - sending prayers xoxo

SAB - don't let that imagination run to free...all clear thoughts for your Mammo too!

Shout Outs to all! Didn't mean to kiss anyone...

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• josie123
    edited March 2015

Cindy, I'm so sorry. Definitely not enough time.Hopefully he will start coming around a little more. Waiting on a skilled nursing home has to be the worst.I'm still praying for you two.

Sleepover is snowed in at my MIL house. Luckily that's only 10min away. I took the 7girls out for subway and slid up the road. Very slick and snowy. But I made it home safely. The girls were watching scarey movies when I left.

• edwards750
    edited March 2015

So sorry Cindy. I hope you find a skilled nursing home soon. It's very stressful to find the right one. I hope he isn't in a lot of pain. You are such a strong and courageous lady.

Josie - I remember those sleepover days only it was my son having them instead if a daughter. Thank God for then Playstations. Bless you for taking them anywhere in that weather. I ordered so many pizzas back then Pizza Hut would keep count and tell me at their next delivery.

DH and I went to see American Sniper last night. Good movie. Very intense and very sad too.

Thanks SAB, Cindy and Josie. I am relieved to say the least.

Diane

• brooksidevt
    edited March 2015

Ohhh, Cindy. The poor guy. The hospital should be able to provide someone to sit with him and keep him from pulling everything out. I know you're there as much as you can be, but 24/7 alertness just ain't gonna happen. Maybe a tad more pain med would make him more comfortable? Maybe by now, the palliative care team has offered some good advice?

Prayers, thoughts, comfort, sorrow that there isn't an easy way around all this.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited March 2015

Cindy - my prayers are with you and your husband. I am sure this is a very sad and scary time for you both. I hope the doctors can pull a miracle out of their bag of tricks so he can have more time. It has happened so many times before so just maybe...as long as he is not in too much pain and discomfort of course and that you all have some QOL too. Hugs and prayers my dear and as for that birthday, yuppers, I am staring down the barrel at the big SIX OH!!! YIKES! LOL

Love to all but am at work as usual and no time to chat but wanted to hug Cindy...xoxoxox

• Redheaded1
    edited March 2015

Cindy I wish the new s was better.  You are doing a great job and you must take of yourself in order to take care of him.  You are in my every prayer.

Sew- hard hug for you and your mom. Hospice workers are special angels and I pray hers will be extra fine.  I remember telling my mom if she saw an angel stretch out its hand to grab on, it was ok.  And she did.  Hard to lose mom's no matter how old we are.  But they never really leave us at all.  

Doctor said yesterday no driving until I see him april 2. when we will plan therapy.  In a clunky brace and he said after 1 week, I can shower and get the arm wet and use both hands to "gently shampoo"my hair.  He is ordering a compounded crème to try on the back of the wrist where the sutures were. It looks like a failed suicide attempt, frankly.

We had such bad ice yesterday my MO canceled my 8:30 appointment. Our newspaper said the hospital I go to had 35 cases of falls on the ice, 3 admitted and the rest treated and sent home.  We have two medical centers, but I don't remember if they gave numbers for the other one.  

So tired of winter.

• 70charger
    edited March 2015

Big news I reached out to RunFree!  She is doing well & will pop in soon. Misses u all.

Red  here's to speedy healing

Sew  Tough times ahead. I pray it won't be too hard on both of you & that Mom is comfortable

RMlulu  Thinking of you. Hugs

I'll have to go back & read to address everyone else thanks to chemo brain. Later Girls

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited March 2015

Thank You for your thoughts&prayers

Hubby is home...hospice. Pain free on methadone...sleeping. Pup standing guard over his dad in the living room. Foley, stoma, nephrostomy make it hard to squeeze in for cuddles. So thankful he's home...praying for strength...love this big guy...not enough time

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• brooksidevt
    edited March 2015

So happy to hear from you, Cindy. I've been waiting for you to post. So very sorry for all you guys are going through. With you all back home, and with hubby's pain under control, and, I guess a bit of help from the hospice folks, I'm hoping things are going a little better, but it sure did not sound like fun for a while there. Poor guy! Poor you! Poor pup!

Do not know what to say, except that I'm sending prayers and thoughts of comfort and peace.

Thanks for contacting RunFree, Fran. It's always good to know one of our absentees is happily out there living the good life.

So Red, it's probably far enough along in the after surgery timeframe that you're getting kind of frustrated with it all, and maybe even a bit testy? Perfectly normal, of course, and I hope all your healing is proceeding exactly on the proper course.

Well my ice dams caused quite a bit of damage and the nice claims lady is coming Monday. I don't suppose she'll give me enough money to redesign the roof so the snow just slides off?

• josie123
    edited March 2015

Cindy, I'm so happy that your hubby s home and they're able to keep him comfortable. I am hoping you two will be able to cherish every last moment together. I'm so sorry your going through this.

(((Hugs)))

• josie123
    edited March 2015

imageI'm sorry I haven't been on too much this week.

Oldest DD s puppies had a tragic accidental poisoning this week. Apparently they got into Ivermectin which she had in a first aid kit in the basement. The one pup got the most (It was flavored so it tasted good to them. This is a very strong medicine used in animals and only takes a tiny bit to treat mange and deworm them. It's used in cattle in larger doses. It was used for the smaller pups mange months ago and she saved it thinking the mange might come back. The pup that ingested the most was immediately blind and having seizures before they could get her to the vet. She used up all her savings and spent so much $ on them. They sedated the smaller pup because she was in a panic being blind and didn't know what was going on. She never came out of it. Even after receiving the medication to pull the poison out of her cells($200) a bag each pup needed 2 bags IV. She did the best to keep them alive but only the one large e r pup made it. She finally made the decision to let her go on Friday. She was still unresponsive. This is the pup that didn't make it

• josie123
    edited March 2015

My DD puppy Tank that made it is is home nowimage

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152
    edited March 2015

Cindy,  my thoughts and prayers are with you and your DH.  Know that we are here for you.  Peace.

• edwards750
    edited March 2015

Cindy - so very sorry for you and your DH. I hope there is more time too. You are such a courageous lady.

OMG Josie my heart is breaking for your DD and her babies. They are our children too. They are such cuties. My heart has been broken in the past by my canine babies so I know her's is breaking too. So sorry.

Glad Runfree is okay.

Snow finally gone - now just rain and not freezing rain thankfully.

Diane

• brooksidevt
    edited March 2015

So very sorry about the pups, Josie. It's a wonder they not only found the first aid kit, but managed to open it. Your dd must be absolutely beside herself. And you too, I suspect!

Come to think of it, you haven't posted about your job in a while. Does this mean things are looking up (I hope)?

Glad your snow is gone, Diane. We were gifted with another couple of inches of fluff today. Joy! Going to Boston Flower Show next Sunday. Can't wait--need tulips, daffodils, crocus, snowdrops, and all the rest right now! I know I mentioned these in the reverse order of when they actually bloom, but in the order I love them. Nice thing about the flower show--they should all be in full bloom at once. No waiting.

• josie123
    edited March 2015

Diane, thanks I appreciate that. Yes my heart is broken too. But I feel she did way more than most owners could . The vet made her feel like she should of waited a day more. But there was no guarantee she would of even been right mentally if she did come out of it. They had already had to place a feeding tube and urinary catheter. I told her I would support her decision either way.

Brookside, thanks also. I do miss that sweet puppy and her other pup is kind of beside himself too. He doesn't know what to do with himself without her. Have fun getting your flowers. More snow? Oh no!! That's all you need.

Yes my job is going well and has improved. I feel more like I'm fitting in. My co worker had a purse party Friday night .I went and actually enjoyed it. I never get out by myself with the kids or hubby.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited March 2015

(((Cindy))) I don't even know words to use for this situation. Just know that we love you and if you need to vent, please come here or PM me. Hugs and prayers. FWIW, I hate this f'ing disease soooo much!

(((Josie))) So sorry about the pup! Ugh..so hard!

YAY, Run free is ok and well!

Thoughts are with all of you always. Running as usual as am at work.

• Redheaded1
    edited March 2015

Hugs and prayers to Cindy and her DH. 

Cindy if he lays on his side can you squeeze in behind him? I totally know what you mean about wanting to hold him.   I wanted to crawl into the hospital bed with my Mom but couldn't because of the Iv and everything.  It was heartbreaking. I ended up laying my head on her chest just so she could feel me with her. Not sure she needed it, but I needed it for me.

So sad about the puppies Josie.  I cried reading it because my pets are my kids.

Brookside- They took away my brace and put me in a hot pink hard cast Friday.  I got stitches out Tuesday and the next day it started hurting like it did when I broke it so Friday a.m. I called and asked to please get x-rayed again as I was sure something wasn't right.  X-rays were clear, but I confessed I had used the right hand without thinking to start slicing some raw chicken into cubes and Dr. decided immobilizing me more was our best bet.... this contraption t hat I have inside mel looks like a dinner fork with the 4 tines bent back towards the sky.  There are 3 screws in the handle, one at base of each  tine and two in  the side.......Craving spaghetti but you know I can't eat that with the fork in the non dominant hand without wearing more of it than I get in mouth.....