Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited February 2015

Fran and Josie, I'm just going to ditto Sew's post, with every word of which I 100% agree.

• Deblc
    Deblc Member Posts: 154
    edited February 2015

Hi Ladies,

I have posted this in a few threads to raise awareness of this petition, as I think it's an important cause to all of us. But response has been slow and has basically stalled. I am wondering if many people are not seeing it, so I am now posting it in some of the active threads. I hope you don't mind me doing this. If so, I will delete it.

Some of you might be familiar with Ann Silberman's great blog "Breast cancer...but doctor I hate pink", which has chronicled her journey from diagnosis to metastasis. I know many of us share her concern that Pinktober madness does not necessarily help towards BC research for a cure. She has started a change.org petition requesting that more fundraising dollars be allocated to finding a cure rather than just raising awareness. I am posting the link here, hoping that we all can support this cause, by signing the petition and sharing on social media. Thank You !!

https://www.change.org/p/keep-a-breast-foundation-...;

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited February 2015

Hey Janis....hope you're doing better fighting off these winter blah's......are you getting ready for Elizabeth's visit? That will be such fun for both of you.

Also, I was thinking about Joan (BigD)......have you tried to call her again? I think it's time if you haven't and I sure hope she answers. It is quite worrying..........(you know me, the Mother Hen)

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited February 2015

I agree with you Sew on trying Big D again.

I noticed Lemon has not been around in quite sometime. She was having some issues when she was last on. I took it upon myself to pm her but haven't had a response. I'll let you know if I hear anything. Take care ( mother hen #2)

• brooksidevt
    edited February 2015

And, joining right in, I just PM'd Bunkie, who has also been AWOL.

• 70charger
    edited February 2015

We are a busy bunch.

Shouts out to GiGil!

• 70charger
    edited February 2015

Finally found the courage to call on my results.  They are in. Now I have to wait for Dr to call back & give me results. I'm a complete messScared

• brooksidevt
    edited February 2015

Nothing is worse than those last few minutes (hopefully) or hours! Hoping and trusting all will be well. Good luck!

• brooksidevt
    edited February 2015

Bunkie is fine, very busy, still dizzy, sends greetings. Her BFF was just diagnosed with bc, and Bunkie has been spending a lot of time with her. She (the BFF) hadn't had a mammogram in 10 years, but Bunike convinced her to go. Good thing!

• 70charger
    edited February 2015

So happy to hear she is just busy. Happy Dance! I've heard nothing from Lemon yet.

• 70charger
    edited February 2015

So it's 5:30, doubt I'm going to get my results today. The nurse did not sound positive. You could hear it in her voice. Expecting the worst, praying for the best. Going to curl up with my BFF Ativan
    . Might have some orange tequila on some ice cream, sugar free of course. Have a good night ladies. Huggers.

• MostlySew
    edited February 2015

Fran, what a positive bummer.....don't these doctors get it? We can fight anything as long as we know, but this waiting is the hardest thing to deal with. I'm hoping that doc will call you after hours tonight. I'm also hoping that the nurse was conveying the wrong vibes.... Add some extra tequila to that ice cream, and oh, I think that Ativan is really your BDF, as in best drug friend. ((Hugs))

Glad to hear Bunkie is doing well, thanks for checking Brookside.

• 70charger
    edited February 2015

Thanks Sew. It is now 9:23 still no call. pills for bed tonight. Nothing short of pure torture knowing it is there.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited February 2015

Thanks for checking on Bunkie Brookside. I'm glad she's okay. Good thing she convinced her friend to get a mammogram.

79charger - so sorry you have to wait. I know it's brutal. You are anxious so maybe you are reading too much into her tone of voice. Regardless, know you are nervous you would think the dr would call you after hours. My radiologist did.

You will handle whatever it is and we are all right there with you in spirit.

Josie - your bosses will remember you came in. We had horrible weather yesterday but today was better. Now they are saying we are getting another round of ice/snow Friday. Ugh.

Diane

• 70charger
    edited February 2015

And so we start all over again. My biopsy tissue was unuseable. It was taken on  a Fri, sat all weekend so by Mon the tissue had degraded. I get a new biopsy tomorrow when I get my CT scan. Then wait ANOTHER 12 days for results. This is just beyond words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• jedimom
    jedimom Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2015

OMG! I can't believe you're having to deal w/ this. I'm so sorry - I can't imagine your frustration.

Hang in there, keep your Ativan close and try to relax.

• 70charger
    edited February 2015

Thanks Jedi. I have a few questions for this Dr. tomorrow. Such as WHY was I NOT notified LAST WEEK? WHY did it take ME 2 days of calling you & again waiting for You to call me back. IT just plain stinks. I'm going to need therapy after this I think.

• jedimom
    jedimom Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2015

No doubt. You may need treatment for PTSD.

Sending hugs & peace to you right now.

• edwards750
    edited February 2015

70charger - so sorry. That is so flipping inexcusable. How would they feel if they had to wait or one of their loved ones? It happened to my Dad and I called the dr and read him the riot act. I asked hom how he would feel if it was his dad. He apologized. Should have.

I hope you have enough of what you need to help cope with the wait. You still have us and a place to vent.

Extra prayer for you at Ash Wednesday Mass today.

Diane

• 70charger
    edited February 2015

Thanks Diane. Just don't know what else to say. Still in shock I guess.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited February 2015

Fran, that's terrible. I hope you do give him a piece of his mind.Good luck tommorow.

Diane, I know it's a good thing I was able to make it in with the snow. I'm not sure how much they appreciate it. But it doesn't matter. I have very strong work ethics. I heard we are supposed to get more wether too this weekend. My oldest as DD will be 20yrs old on Sat. She wants to go to the family cabin in the country.Well she won't take no for an answer so I'm not sure what's going to happen. We're talking rural roads with no local snow removal. There is a huge hill you have to travel down(gravel) and once they get down there they may have trouble getting out. Also no water since we turn it off for the winter and if they turn it on for the weekend they will have to drain the pipes before leaving. We have electricity but the heat source is a wood stove.Plenty of wood outside they can load the cabin with but someone has to get up and stoke the fire. My dad doesn't want her to go and may worry all weekend if she does. Not a stress he needs right now. Sorry. Didn't mean to ramble on.

• brooksidevt
    edited February 2015

Oh, no, Fran. It's hard to understand how that happened. And then they took until now to tell you? Amazing. So sorry. If I were you, I'd have eaten everything in the kitchen by now. If all that's involved is looking at your cells through a microscope, I'd think the doc can request (that is, demand) an express reading this time.

Josie, many a time, I'd load the kids and our ski stuff in the car and drive up here to the freezing cold Vermont house. Once we arrived, I'd light the wood stove, the fireplace and the propane space heater. We'd heat frying pans on the woodstove and then sweep them over the sheets so we could get into bed. Often, I'd be down in the cellar waving a hairdryer along a frozen pipe. Sometimes it was not until the next day that we could get the water pipes flowing, sometimes with the help of a very tolerant plumber. Before we left on Sunday, I'd drain the pipes and put antifreeze in all the drains. It worked just fine, and, if your daughter knows how to do all that , she and your house will be just fine.

It might have seemed fun at the time, but, just in case anyone is wondering, before I moved here, I put in central heating. Way more comfy!

• josie123
    edited February 2015

Fran, I agree with Brookside. Why can't they put a stat on it?

Brookside, yes it doable if she listens to us and is careful and respectful of the property.She's taking some friends.

• MostlySew
    edited February 2015

Fran, I'm with Brookside. There's no excuse for a biopsy to take 12 days to return results....and the fact they didn't tell you immediately about the problem really is inexcusable. In fact, apparently even scheduling it on a Friday was a really poor choice on their part.! No wonder you heard a hang dog tone in the receptionist voice..she knew the doc was delinquent and you'd have to go thru it again. So....do you still even have the skin issues? Is there anything left to biopsy? Do, please, explain to this doc what this is all like, he needs to remember the people side of this equation. Oh, and take your BDF Ativan with you like Jedimom recommends. maybe I'll take one too in commiseration.

• MostlySew
    edited February 2015

josie...how about having her call you before leaving the cabin AFTER she has done all the closing up routines so that she can tell you all the things she's done, and you'll be able to remind her to turn off the water, drain the pipes, turn the fridge down, lay a new fire etc. then you'll know it got done

• edwards750
    edited February 2015

Good idea Sew.

• josie123
    edited February 2015

Sew and Brookside, just heard my mother has been in the ER with my father all day. His BP was so high.He's really been worked up over this country trip. He would feel responsible if someone got hurt . I had no idea he was that worked up.

• josie123
    edited February 2015

I just broke it to my DD that the trip is probably off. Not good. She is so mad at me and doesn't really see the real situation. They never said she couldn't go. Just not till March.

• MostlySew
    edited February 2015

Eek, your poor dad. what does your daughter think about her trip now? Oh, and I forgot a few chores your daughter should complete before coming home.....wash and put away all dishes, change sheets on the beds and get them made up for other guests. Wash the used sheets. Vacuu and dust entire place. Scrub down the bath including the shower. And mop the kitchen and bathroom floors. Perhaps then she'll realize there are responsibilities to using a cabin and it won't sound quite so romantic. Hope your dad's better.

• MostlySew
    edited February 2015

Josie, stick to your guns on this one. If your daughter is old enough to go and use the family csbin, she's old enough to realize that timing is everything. And with winter so hard upon you, the timing isn't right just now. As evidenced by the extreme concern she's put her grandfather through. It is admittedly tough being a 20 year old and having to cancel a party...but then again, she's old enough to plan it so old enough to understand it just isn't a good plan. Am I tough or what? then again, my daughter is 46 and I don't have to go thru these learning experiences with her any more. Good luck