Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited February 2015

AWWW! That was really nice of him. High 5 to the hubby!

• Funclassygal
    Funclassygal Member Posts: 27
    edited February 2015

Going for simulation tomorrow for radiation - kind of feel blue about it - just wish there was no more of this! Worried that my implant may get messed up from the radiation but I guess worrying will not help any thing. If any one would like to share their radiation stories - I would love to read them. Thanks and hope every one is doing well. Happy Valentine's Day!

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited February 2015

Funclassygirl,

Welcome, Rads for me was uneventful except for fatigue. The mapping session is kind of scarey but just relax,they all know what they are doing. They will probably take a CT of the breast and depending on what breast do a few small tatoo s so they can line up the radiation.Pretty painless. Just leave the modesty at the door.I'm at work so I'll make this short.

• Funclassygal
    edited February 2015

Thank you for your experience Josie123. Really appreciate it! VeraAnn

• gemmafromlondon
    gemmafromlondon Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2015

Funclassygirl: Josie is right - the mappings is the worst part. The daily session is quick and easy. I am two thirds through rads with so far no ses, not even fatigue. May change of course. Hope you do as well. Modesty is indeed a thing of the past -but just think how many breasts the techs have seen and do they care? Not a bit. All the best.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited February 2015

Always nice to see your smiling face, Josie, and your hubby's too!

Welcome, FunClassyGal and GemmafromLondon. My most helpful hint is to remember that you can always see a nurse and/or a radiation oncologist before and/or after each treatment. They've heard every concern, from the most minor to the most severe. You can even see the head tech and those backoffice geeks whose titles I forget, but who are integral in planning your dosage. Also, an RO is on call and reachable 24/7. In my case, I was terrified of everything that had to do with rads and the resource that meant the most to me was the head tech, who explained, for an hour, yes, an hour, right in the middle of his day, exactly how the machine worked and how it happened that I could be right there under that behemoth and still be perfectly safe.

He just happened to mention that most of the techs were drawn to that field because either they or someone close to them had had the disease. This little bit of information helped me immensely because I had (very maturely) experienced the techs as emotionless extensions of the big and hateful machine. It truly helped to see them as human. A few months afterwards, I saw one of my techs in an exercise class for breast cancer patients. She was still working, but was undergoing radiation between her patients,.

Your center will also have a process for handling issues that continue, or newly arise, weeks, months, and years after treatment. At my hospital, two nurse practitioners are the main resource.

• Funclassygal
    edited February 2015

gemmafromlondon, Thank You! May you continue to do great! VeraAnn

• Funclassygal
    edited February 2015

BrooksideVT, Thank You, much appreciation! VeraAnn

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited February 2015

ok-fell on black ice wed am  fractured right wrist. both radius and ulna  tooke bih bones uo and backwards  surgery is mon at 11  will be getting plate and pins or screws 4 ever and arm will ne cast 8 weeks and up like an L with fingers to the sky. then 8 weeks p.t.    this trumps the C for now.......

• josie123
    edited February 2015

Redheaded , I m so sorry. That's terrible. Good luck with surgery. We will be in your pocket.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited February 2015

Dang sorry Redhead. Ouch.

Welcome Vera Ann and Gemma. Rads was not bad at all for me either. Like Josie fatigue was the worst of it. No burning or redness so I was blessed. Best techs ever. Friendly and extremely efficient. I had 33 treatments. Good luck with yours.

Hope everyone had and still having a nice Valentine's Day. Mine was. Dinner, candy, decorations and a new yellow raincoat from Talbots - my fav place to shop but only when there is a sale. It is my Mom's birthday too. She has been gone 10 years. I miss her a lot. She told my dad and my sibs and I that we had to get her birthday presents and Valentine ones as well. Of course we did. She never failed to give all of us Russell Stover hearts!

Diane

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited February 2015

Oh Readhead, that's terrible news! In your pocket on Monday. President's day so I will bring red, white and blue m&ms

Hello Vera Ann and Gemma. Radiation was also mostly a non-event for me. Sorry for the repeat if someone already told you to drink lots of water, eat lots of protein and use lots of lotion. I used boiron calendula and aloe. Fatigue does creep in, but light daily exercise will help a lot.

• Funclassygal
    edited February 2015

Thanks Ladies for all the good information! So Rads does not affect your counts? Also, does it affect your blood pressure as mine is on the low side and I am so scared of passing out. Thanks, VeraAnn

• josie123
    edited February 2015

Vera Ann, I've never heard of anemia from radiation. But BP shouldn't be a problem either. I felt a little dizzy immediately after like in the changing room. I never really mentioned this to my RO. I guess I chalked it up to nerves but could of been a side effect. Also even the first day of Rads left me extremely thirsty. SAB is right drink lots of water, protein is a must. And also I was a little nauseated on the weekend after 5 days straight of Rads.

• josie123
    edited February 2015

Diane, sounds like you did have a nice Valentine day. Me too DH bought chocolate covered strawberries and fixed filet mingon for dinner. It was nice. Really nice. We have to go let DD puppies out now and then can snuggle later.

I'm sorry you lost your mother 10 yrs ago. I'm not sure what I'd do without mine. She's 79 but still going strong. I know it's been a rough couple months for her watching my Father go through the surgery and her sister with her stroke.It's really wearing on her.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited February 2015

Redheaded. (((Big hugs )))). Hope you've got lots of simple pull up pants in your wardrobe. Sounds like you'll be needing them. Oh...I also recommend you get a Reach Access floss thing if you haven't already. Looks like a toothbrush, but is for flossing. Can you tell I had my arm strapped to my waist 24/7 for 8 weeks once? Doable, but annoying after the pain stops. I'm so sorry you've had this, but this too shall pass.

70Charger...did you have that CT yet? Any results? I hope so although you probably would like to continue using the virtual vacation pass instead of coming back to face all this.

Cindy...thinking of you and hubby. Hope his meeting with the new oncologist went well today. ((Hugs))

Janis.....are you getting ready for Elizabeth's visit? How exciting and fun that will be

Sab, I don't know about you but I'm ready for a bit more rain.

Joan.....ahhhh a weekend to relax....

Funclassylady and Gemmafromlondon....welcome. Some of the other gals have already given you good advice. The only thing I can add is I'm one who did have fairly serious burning from rads....but I'm here to tell you that it's still "do-able". It may not feel like it during the long slug of time it takes to get it done ( I think mine was 7 1/2 weeks) but the time does pass and you do get thru it. Just take it one day at a time. And check with your RO or nurses whenever you have a problem. They have lots of tools in their arsenal to help you if you're one of the few that "burn" or have other problems. Remember not to be tough on yourself during this time. Cancer treatment is very stressful both emotionally and physically. And check in with us, we have lots of collective knowledge here.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2015

Hi all, I missed so much here...it is overwhelming sometimes at what people are going through.
    Josie, I hope your aunt is comfortable and just wish she could improve some more.  You are a caring person and I am sure she appreciated your visit.
    Cindy, others have said it well...we are standing with you against this dreaded disease.  I am so sorry that after all these months of hospitalization and tests that you would get this news.  I hate cancer.  I hope that you get clear answers about what may help DH feel his best and get home and comfortable for a long time.  I know you and DH are having to walk in a place you may not want to be...I remember that in a difficult part of my life, when I looked back, there was a godly strength filling in for my weakness...as if God was going before me to la out the path and meeting every need along the way.  I am sorry....
    Red, so sorry about the break and upcoming surgery.  The ice is a hazard and what a bummer that you got hurt. 
    Fran, sorry your anxiety is so high as you wait for results.  I think I would feel the same.  Hugs and prayers for good news.
    Sew, SAB, so good to see you.  I hope you were not inundated with the rains we heard about. 

Snow is on the way tonight...another 4-8" on top of 2" today.  DD in Boston getting yet another foot....they have 5 feet already.  It's crazy.

VeraAnn, I am three years out from radiation.  I worked every day and found the most exhausting part was driving back and forth.  My skin got a red raised rash and it was treated with steroid cream.  My biggest problem was anxiety and being confined.  I took two and a half Xanax for my set up appointment.  Then I took it for my simulation and next two appointments.  I decided it wasn't worth feeling druggy for the day just for 10 minutes in the rads room.  So I armed myself with my iPod and Listerine strips to take my mind off staying still.  I made it - it was not difficult.  I tried not to think about the radiation but had just taken a course in radiation so I knew what I was getting.  It's a cost / benefit analysis for each of us.  I had lumpectomy and agreed to rads, so I did it.
    Hope it goes well.
    I have a 3 day week end plus Friday was a sick day so 4 days.  I slept great.      

Hugs to all...Joan

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited February 2015

Yikes, Red! Bad, bad ice! It's wonderful that they can give you so much mobility. Eventually. It's the now that's the problem. I'm not clear as to how they're going to cast your arm. Will you need to learn not to bump into doorways and so forth? Sending healing thoughts and best wishes for a very normal surgery and recovery. We'll all be here to chat when you're bored.

So happy you had a long weekend, Joan. With all your running around, night classes, and visits to faraway children, I always think of you as the energizer bunny. Even his battery needs recharging from time to time.

Thinking of you and hubby, Cindy, and hoping for some good news. Also sending warm fuzzies to Hunter.

One more thought for those just starting rads: They do not want you to use oil (I used emu oil) or cream for three or four hours before rads, so I made sure I woke up very, very early, slathered it on, and put on a soft white men's Tshirt, then my clothes. The T protected my clothing from the oil, and also from the sharpie marks the techs used to highlight my tatoos.

• Funclassygal
    edited February 2015

Thank you Joan and MostlySew! It's so hard because if you don't do it you think that you may be doing yourself a disservice and of course by doing it you question putting all of this in our bodies. There is no direct answer! Thanks for your advice and experiences. VeraAnn

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited February 2015

yes ==go to target and buy the softest men's wife beater t -shirts and a few all cotton spport bras a size larger than normal  nothing should fit tight or snug.   put on crème, t shirt. then bra   if your crème staims or is greasy the shirt will absorb it, and t shirt protects skin from bra band.  also wipe underneath your boobs so its dry under there right before you go back for your treatment  moisture attracts rays and I burned first under my boob--then toy have skin on skin issues.   I really longed for a flat chest during rads

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152
    edited February 2015

Cindy and Red, my thoughts and prayers are with you.  It seems that nothing is ever simple anymore. 

My radiation experience was uneventful, but I did have concerns before the fact.  Soft t-shirts and bras are essential.  I bought several t's at Walmart...faded glory brand. ( I still use them under itchy sweaters.) My doc wanted me to use Aquaphor and it did the job!  I felt dizziness after the sim (which seemed to go on forever!) and a few times after treatments.  Just focus on a point and wave your hands to get the blood pumping again.

Ohio

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited February 2015

Hi Sew and Joan. Even a deluge was not enough for us here in CA. We wore shorts on our hike yesterday, and I couldn't help but notice how low the river was, and how dry the brush.

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend. DH and I don't fuss much for V-Day.

• edwards750
    edited February 2015

Cindy - I'm so sorry I missed your post somehow. Such frightening news about your husband. We are all praying for him and you. You truly are a strong woman. Sending all of us special notes is so sweet but hey we know you care we also know you have so much on your plate right now. Group hug.

Diane

• edwards750
    edited February 2015

Btw so far we dodged the snow and blizzards some of you guys are experiencing but we are supposed to get snow and ice in the next day or so. Ugh.

Diane

• MostlySew
    edited February 2015

Hi Sab,

Yep, today I think we've already hit spring. Things are green, but not for long. Rivers up here are shallow too. Talk about water wars.....I think they're coming.

Diane, you might want to visit us.......no snow. Not even in the Mountains, more's the pity

• 70charger
    edited February 2015

VerAnne   Welcome. Scary 1st one over now, just relax.

Gemma  Welcome.

Red Good Luck with your surgery today. Dang weather!

Sew  Thanks for thinking of me. No biopsy results yet. Have CT this Thurs.

Joan  You work too hard. Relax girl!

Ohio Good to see you.

Edwards Dodging these storms is a good thing

We had .02 mm of rain Friday night then Sat it snowed. Everything was covered with thick ice. Hope all in the east are doing ok with the storms.  I hear Boston is getting hit hard.

Last 3 days been really hard. wanna know but don't wanna know. Waiting for results is pure hell.

Sab & Josie nice to hear from u guys as well

Cindy you are never far from my thoughts.  Huggers!

To all the others on this thread, think of you guys a lot. Huggers Fran

• josie123
    edited February 2015

Fran, so do you have to wait till after the CT for biopsy results? That's hard. Thinking of you.

Ohio, hi, nice to hear from you also.

Sab,Sew, spring? We just got about 5inch of snow last night. I still had to go to work. In fact good thing I did. We had 3 call in in our dept but the one that had the most 9 inches actually came in late. The other 2 claimed to be sick.Oh well, I handled it well.I was jumping from front to back and we had several cancellations.

• 70charger
    edited February 2015

Josie not that I know of. The RO said he would call me with results of biopsy. But then again who knows for sure as he also said I would be coming back in a month as a follow up to see him. The other day I get a letter saying that on Mar 6th I get to see a Gyne. I really liked this RO but he is just filling in as the one I originally saw is on leave. I do not know why I have been transferred to a gyne.

• MostlySew
    edited February 2015

Fran...I don't think you've been transferred to a gyn, I think it's just a regular yearly? If I were you, I'd call the RO office though to see if he has the results of the biopsy. I think the part where they tell you the results may have fallen thru the crack. Or...do you have a primary physician? You could ask that person what's going on. It all gets a bit confusing with so many dr scheduling things...

Josie...it sounds like this job is great for you. I'm glad you're doing so well and I'm sure the bosses realize you're one of the ones who show up even with 5" of snow

• josie123
    edited February 2015

Thanks SewSmile