Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited March 2015

April and Redheaded thanks.I'm sorry didn't mean to make anyone sad.

Redheaded, sounds like you need to take it easy. I'm sure it is hard though.Are you saying they put you in a different brace?

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited March 2015

they put me in a plaster cast took the brace away.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2015

Checking in...it has been weeks since I was here.  Snow, cold, work, kids, life...no complaints...just preoccupied.
    I am happy to hear about the successful surgery and good test results for some of us.  I went to a new dermatologist and after he examined me, I pointed out several skin issues that were bothering me.  I had a biopsy on my back and still no results.  I couldn't reach the spot, so I gave up trying to medicate it after about 10 days. I hope it heals. 

I am not able to hold back my tears for you, Cindy...our sweet, brave, funny, active, dog-loving, habitual mover, and our cheerleader...to hear your news just breaks my heart.  I pray that you will have peace and strength in the quiet sanctuary of your home.  May love abound for you all.  If there is a miracle being granted from heaven, I pray it will be for your DH.  Meanwhile, revisit those precious happy times.

Sew, your mom has had a long life and you have been her caring companion.  I know it has been a tough time for you with the loss of your brother and then your sister moving.  I hope you find the strength to be side by side with your mom for the rest of her journey.  Peace, strength and love for you and your family.

Josie, your story about the pups is so heartbreaking.  I am sorry for your daughter and for you - hard to watch our kids have painful experiences.  I hope the surviving dog will make a full recovery. 

Brookside, thanks for always being here, like an anchor....so sorry about your water damage.  My DD had the same--water damage in her dining room. Are you out of the house yet?

April's staring down that big birthday....enjoy!  You have had some tough days but then there are the blessings.

Janis, I hope you are lurking;

(((Hugs to everyone))) who has checked in and those who have not.  I wish we could all have a big reunion this year...

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited March 2015

Hi everyone. Just stopping in to say hello. I am still in Florida until the end of the week, and then back north to Minnesota. Cindy, I just caught up and I want to send you my love and support. I know you are going through some very tough times right now, and I wish there was something we could do to help. If you ever just want to talk, give me a PM and I will gladly give you my phone number. Just know you have so many friends here and we are all standing with you in spirit. Prayers are going out for your DH and will continue. I will pray for his comfort and times to be with you and feel your love. It helps more than anything.

SEW, sorry to hear about your mother. I went through similar with my dad not that long ago. It is hard to turn her care over to others, but hospice is so wonderful. Her comfort and peace of mind are most important and feeling your presence. You are a wonderful daughter and you have done your very best. Prayers for her and for you are going out too.

Fran, thank goodness your tests came back benign. I am so relieved for you. I am however annoyed that you had to go through what you did to find out that you are okay. That caused you way too much stress, and it was so needless.

Red, sorry to hear about your fracture. It sounds like you are healing well, and sporting quite a flashy cast. You take care now, and stay away from that ice.

Brookside, sorry about your water troubles. Water troubles make me crazy. I have been through some of that, and nothing triggers the crazy in me, like water problems. I hope you get it all taken care of soon, and can rest.

Josie, sorry about your daughter's dogs. What a sad thing to have happen.

Diane, glad to hear things are going good with you.

Joan, let's hope that snow has stopped now and will melt quickly and spring will be on its way. You need to get to those grandkids.

I will try to check in more often. I am working on an IRS audit, so I have been a bit preoccupied. Wish me luck on the 17th. Can't wait for it to be done. Sorry if I forgot to mention anyone. SAB I had to laugh about you saying your boobs look like two different people. Mine do too. One is much smaller than the other and a bit more perky. Result of rads, I guess. Take care everyone. Love to all, GiGi

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited March 2015

Nice to see people checking in.

Josie so sorry about the pups. huggs

Cindy in my thoughts & prayers.

I'll catch up once my computer is fixed. My satellite receiver crashed, just got the new one today. Internet withdrawl after 4 days. But now I've gotten a pop up bug that MacAfee doesn't detect! Freezes everything, can't ck my e-mail. Been a very long day. Have to unplug & take out battery just to reset if I want to use. Gotta go before it freezes again. Hugs to all

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited March 2015

So happy/jealous that you are still in Florida, Gigi. It's been absolutely brutal here. I had the insurance claims person come to look a the damage the ice dams did to my roof. She brought with her a very recent transplant from Atlanta. He was just in awe. Had no idea ice could to to a metal roof what it had done to mine--thought someone had deliberately bent back and broken the metal sheets. He, wonderingly, asked how I dealt with getting around after a snowfall (someone to plow, four-wheel drive, new tires every winter). He could not figure out how to get around the house to look at the back (walk through the snow?). So innocent! Very funny.

Always happy to hear Joan chime in. Now that the worst of the weather is (hopefully) over, maybe we can reschedule that northeast gettogether?

Fran, you have weather and no TV to deal with simultaneously? Ugh! TV is my one savior. Love the DVD thing, but it does tend to take over--I feel an obligation to watch everything I've saved. In the olden days, either I watched the show or not; the rest of the time other activities happened (like housecleaning).

Red, I do hope the cast is comfy and your healing is quick, quick, quick. I do feel obliged to mention that the x-ray tech who took my last photo indicated that she was planning to move south sometime before she slipped on the ice--did not want to see herself in the same condition as the people she scans.

Josie, seems your neighborhood is still a volcano. I hope your commute is not affected.

Holding your hand in his, Cindy.

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited March 2015

Brookside. It is the satellite receiver for my internet that crashed.  They changed it out yesterday My TV receiver is separate & fine.. But now my computer is infected with these stupid pop up ads that are freezing my computer. Been looking for it but it is hidden deep & My McAfee hasn't found it. SOOOOOOOOOOO annoying.

• gigil
    edited March 2015

Brookside, your insurance adjuster reminds me of a new puppy who sees snow for the first time. They don't know if they can walk on it or not, and the cold is such a startle! I hope you get things straightened out as quickly as possible. What a brutal winter you have had! I went back to Minnesota to move into the new place for a couple of weeks. That wind just cut me to the bone. I was glad to jump on a plane out of there when we left. Now we are heading back to record warm temps. I hope it holds. Spring will be welcome for everyone.

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164
    edited March 2015

Hi Cindy,

I have not been on this thread in a little while.  I want you to know that I am thinking of you and wishing both you and your DH strength and peace.  I have had so much experience with hospice people and they are amazing, both in the home and in a dedicated hospice facility.  Please take advantage of all they have to offer.  They have a lot of spiritual support as well that gave me comfort.

Sending you hugs.

Donna

• Dogsneverlie
    edited March 2015

Josie,

Oh my gosh, I can't believe what happened with the pups, I also can't even imagine.  I am so very sorry.

Donna

• josie123
    edited March 2015

Joan, good luck with the biopsy I hope all is clear.Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Fran,thanks also.

Gigil, sounds like your enjoying the Florida weather. Thank you also.

Last night we had my DD dog for the evening . He enjoyed playing with our dog but seemed a little depressed. When we took him home for the night we were heartbroken to see him looking for the other pup and finally giving up and curling up on the couch to sleep till my DD came home. I came home in tears.

Hopefully everyone is well. I had a cold this past week. Then it just suddenly went away the other day. Weird. But they are passing around the stomach bug and flu . Half of one dept was sent home sick yesterday.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited March 2015

Fran - that happened to our computer too. We finally had to wipe everything off the computer and start over. Brutal but it was k after that thankfully.

Josie - so sad for the puppy. When one of ours died the other one sat on his grave in the back yard. Heartbreaking. Hope your neck of the woods can find peace soon. How close those police officers came to being more casualties.

Gigi - winter has been esp brutal this year. Spring officially starts n 6 days. So ready for it even if it means the beginning of yard work.

Excited about March Madness - my Irish beat Duke last night! Yea! Best record in college basketball in school history. Pretty impressive. They play UNC tonight. Go Irish!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Diane

• brooksidevt
    edited March 2015

Ladies, I just had an onc appointment--all good. What I want to tell you is I asked him about his practice. I already knew he treats only breast cancer. He said he has a "full practice," with 500 patients. Last year, only three of his patients passed away. Only three! I know this is no walk in the park for any of us, either medically or emotionally, but I do have to say this information gave me a huge boost in my trust in the ability of the medical system (not just him) to manage this disease in general and your and my care in particular.

This onc and I had gotten off to a bit of a rocky start. I'd been warned that he can appear a bit off-putting at first, and I discovered that to be absolutely true. I'm talking raised hackles on my part true. I'd also been told that once he gets to know you, he's a totally different person. I guess I must have graduated into the known entity group. Very happy. And hopeful.

• edwards750
    edited March 2015

Great news Brookside!

Diane

• josie123
    edited March 2015

Yes Congrats Brookside,im happy for you that you and your doctor are same page. And that your so happy with him.

Diane thanks for the sympathy on my DD puppy. She just got sick herself today,we took her to urgent care with wheezing, no voice chest congestion. But no fever, tested negative for Flu A&B and strep.I asked about pneumonia but she said even if it was she would treat her the same with antibiotics. I still am shocked they didn't take chest Xrays. But that's urgent care for you. She did give her a breathing treatment and an inhaler and prednisone in addition to the antibiotic

• josie123
    edited March 2015

Oh did I mention new hair cut today?

• josie123
    edited March 2015

I know its short but I really love it
  • brooksidevt
    edited March 2015

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone! Green, green green!

Nice hair, Josie. You look so happy with it.

Our garden club took a bus trip to the Boston Flower Show. When the bus got back to our car pool spot, I decided on a quick trip to the bus' bathroom. Seemed like a great idea, until I felt the earth move. Yup. Bus took off with me on the potty. Driver had not noticed the coat I'd left very promently on my seat. He must have been in quite a hurry to get rid of us.

• gigil
    edited March 2015

Josie, very cute haircut. Glad you like it. It should be fun to work with. Brookside, I can just see you coming out of the restroom and informing that bus driver that you needed to get back to the car pool spot ASAP. It probably surprised him about as much as it did you. Not a great feeling. On my plane trip last Sunday, I had to get to the rest room as soon as we reached cruising altitude. My DH aced me out, when I saw him come out, I dashed out of my seat and headed in. We were still climbing, so I staggered a bit. I didn't know whether it was the plan action or me that was causing the unsteadiness. I, of course thought it was me. I was very insecure about getting back to my seat and moving after that. It took me awhile to trust that it was just the plane still climbing and some slight turbulence. It is hard to tell when you are going through it. The pilot called it clear air turbulence. Not fun!! It was a bumpy ride for a good part of the trip. My sis is back in the Boston area - Cohasset. She is a bit surprised at how much snow is left. It is going to be a bit of a long spring, I think.

• josie123
    edited March 2015

Gigil and Brookside thanks I really like the haircut too. It's been a while since it was that short.

Brookside, I can't believe the bus driver took off with you in the bathroom. How far did he get?

Gigil, I know what you mean about planes but it's been like 12 yrs since I've been on one. Yes I don't get out often enough.It seems like it takes forever for them to get level. And they can be quite bumpy sometimes too.I keep meaning to go see my older sister in Connecticut but that isn't going to happen right now.It costs too much and I probably couldn't get off work.But when I do finally get to go I will definitely meet up with you ladies that live up East.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited March 2015

Looking good Josie ThumbsUpshows off you eyes.

Brookside, good that you are getting to know your MO. I switched and like my new one even less than the old one! What now?

Joan, results? Good I hope!

Just wanted to check in for news and updates. Thinking about you gals.

Admissions decisions came out. I have been on the phones,talking to the very happy and the very disappointed all week. Getting ready for some big on-campus events and trying to have a life in my spare time. All good, just busy and tired. Mammo coming up on the 27th. That's all and good night...

• Dogsneverlie
    edited March 2015

Josie!!!!!!!!!!  I LOVE your haircut!!!!!!

• brooksidevt
    edited March 2015

SAB, that's exactly why I did not change oncs a year ago. Out of the frying pan and into the fire is one of my great fears. I hope your new onc turns out to be one who gets better and better as time goes on!

Does it make you nuts that just as everyone around relaxes with spring break, or summer vacation, or whatever, things really ramp up for you?

And how are you, Dogsneverlie? Post surgical healing going really well, I hope, or it driving you crazy?

It's been quite a while since we've heard from you, Cindy--sending prayers, of course.

• josie123
    edited March 2015

Dogs, and SAB, thanks for the nice comments .

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited March 2015

Josie I love your hair also--- and it's not short.  I have been growing mine out to your length...HA!  Not sure I'll be able to manage it this long....have to go get it done every week with this broken wrist....takes two hands to style it and it won't dry right by itself....

Any of you gals switch from Arimidex to another AI?  which one and was it better or worse?  I amy be changing depending on my cholesterol test results.....

• brooksidevt
    edited March 2015

Redheaded, I switched from arimidex to aromasin and quickly switched back. I experienced lessened joint issues, which was good, but developed hard, hard stools and really annoying tinnitus. My hair fell out at a huge rate, and I gained ten pounds in ten weeks. I'm back on arimidex, the weight and the tinnitus are gone, and I'm just beginning to have the joint discomfort again. I haven't had my cholesterol checked in a couple of years, so, thanks to you, I guess i'll ask for that when I see my pcp next week. This time, I'm managing symptoms by cutting the occasional pill in half, maybe in combination with a skipped day. I'd originally been on arimidex for a little over a year, fearing that whatever I switched to would be worse and I'd run through all three drugs in no time. Well, now I know you can always go back. Femara is still out there if I can't deal with the arimidex. On April Fool's Day, I'll have been on AI's for two years. (We won't count the holidays. will we!) Only three years to go. Good luck with your switching or staying, or both!

Sorry your hair control is problematic--I have enough trouble getting mine to cooperate with two hands.

• josie123
    edited March 2015

Thanks redheaded. I'm at the 1 week point and starting to wonder if I should of got it this short but it's growing on me. I always love it at first and then go back and forth for a while.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2015

Checking in - night owl here.
    Gigi, you are right about the snow in Boston area. I was up there last week end and there is so much!
    We had snow here Friday - welcome spring! 
    Brookside, I remember when you had those run-ins with your MO.  Glad to hear you are finally on the good side!  Too funny about the moving bus...
    SAB, you are busy!  Sending positive thoughts for an uneventful appointment next week.  I didn't talk to the dermatologist yet and either they didn't call or I missed it.  I hope no news is good news -- but I will call. 

Red, I may have mentioned already - I started on Arimidex.  After a few months I went off because I was having an increase in an angina-like symptom that I get a few times a year.  I went off during the time I had radiation; then I switched to Femara.  It's a little better.  Overall, it's been three years for me.  I am pretty sure it causes issues with my mental processing.  It's hard to focus.  At times, I become intolerant of people at home or work.  And I"m sure they are intolerant of me too!  Overall, I think it accelerates the aging process.  Or so it seems...of course, my skin always looks better in the summer when it is more humid.  I just wonder who I'd be if I didn't have to take the Femara.  I guess I'm past the half-way mark for the five years.  Somehow, I think they will tell me to keep taking it.  I tried to add a drug for focusing but it just made things crazy.  I wish I did not have to take anything.
    I am cleaning out closets this week end and this is one of the situations when I can't seem to organize a lot of things.  
    My DD is moving out of her house next week end and her DH will move to his new apartment.  The separation will happen.  I was there last week end helping with the kids while they packed.  I will be there when the movers come.  It is very emotional for me and I have to keep it together for everyone.  DD has many distractions and trips planned for the coming weeks as she moves in to her smaller house with the girls.  I, however, do not have these distractions.  DD will be traveling through NY for Easter day and her DH will meet us with the kids.  I have to get the house out of winter mode and figure out where to make an Easter egg hunt.  My yard has been buried under snow for two months. 

I'm rambling...sorry!  Life will move on and we will all adjust. 
    I always travel in May to visit my son in SFO area but my niece is getting married that week and I have an unexpected house guest coming.  Then my dear friend is getting married right in the middle of my summer vacation when I usually travel.  I feel like if I don't get out of here for awhile, I will not be able to face going back to work in the fall!  Whoa, I am planning way too far ahead and I know better!

I hope many of you are having great weather as it warms up, and are enjoying the week end. 
    good night....

• edwards750
    edited March 2015

Josie- it is a cute haircut. I'm letting mine grow a bit just for a change. Bet it's easy to care for. I don't fly much either - I hate it. All the hassle and doesn't help I'm acrophobic.

Joan - you are always so busy. I'm doing the Spring cleaning too. Ugh. Took me forever to do the kitchen. Going to have a garage sale when I'm done. Both attics are sagging from the stress. Haha.

I was on Arimidex initially but because I had osteoporosis my ONC switched me to Tamoxifen. Not a fun drug either but my bone density numbers have increased dramatically so all the SEs are worth it. My ONC said I won't be taking it when my 5 years are up. I'm 3 1/2 years out. It's still kind of an insurance policy to me.

Sorry about the split for your daughter. It's tough on everyone esp the kids. My DH's youngest and oldest son took it really hard but they got through it and both are happily married with their own children. His middle son, my personal fav, embraced me from the get go. We all want our kids to be happy and sometimes a divorce is the only way.

Brookside - I didn't know the drug affects your chloresterol. My numbers are pretty good so I guess its not a SE of Tamoxifen.

I can't imagine that bus driver leaving you. Good grief don't they do a check after a stop. Bless your heart I would have freaked.

SAB - good luck with your mammogram.

Spring has arrived here with endless rain but at least it's warmer for now. Lots of people doing yard work. We have started too.

Redhead - gotta be tough trying to do your hair. I'd wear wigs to keep from fooling with my hair except they itch!

Have a good week everyone!

Diane

• josie123
    edited March 2015

Joan, I'm sorry about your DD but all you can do is support her and enjoy her and the kids .Good for you cleaning out closets. Very ambitious of you. More ambitious than I am. Sometimes I just come home from work and just sit there. I'm not sure if I'm depressed or what . Maybe it's the Tamoxofin. I just don't have the energy I'd like to.Maybe it's just an excuse .I do the minimum to keep the house half way presentable. Part of it is the loneliness I feel with my DH gone so much working. But we do what we can.He was actually off work today so we went to church together.That was nice. My DD youngest one has a trip planned to our place in the country cabin. When I got home from work Friday her and her friend gave me a presentation on their week they have planned during spring break. It was so cute. They even have glitter on it.We will leave as soon as I get home from work we leave Friday night. We will spend the night Friday and Sat go to the little country church Sunday morning pack up and leave after that on Sunday.She's already packed and ready to go.My son is even going. My mother wants to come but my DD isn't to happy about that. She will have to get over it though.